Pete Carroll is not run heavy

toffee

Reaction score
If I could be fortunate enough to own a team owner, I would love it if my team's offense could move the ball and score with proficiency in more than one way. If the opponents took away our WRs, or our QB's time to throw, we could run to hurt them, if they stack the box, we could throw on them. I would reward players that are willing to sacrifice a bit of their personal stats for the good of the team, I would hire the coaches that are proficient in more than just one way.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
When your defense is routinely bad, you have to throw more.

They have also suffered tons of injuries to the RB position over the years.

These two factors have led them to throwing the ball more than Pete would like over the years.

Then there is Shane Waldron and his system. Where they call a run play and a pass play in the huddle, where they key a defender. Based on alignment they are throwing or running.

The strength of the team post LOB has also been at QB and WR. Running more takes your best players out of the game.

The Seahawks were a run heavy team in neutral situations until 2020, the let Russ Cook season, where they finally broke tendencies.

Pete would love nothing more than to run it 40 times a game, but you have to have a defense and 2 stud runners remaining healthy to pull it off.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Carroll would like to be more run hungry, it’s just that we’ve not had a healthy rb stable in awhile.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
the entire belief that PC favors the run has been overfed by the statements he would make when asked prior to last year, what the offense needed to do to get on track. At the time, our pass game was one dimensional. With our inability to exploit vast areas of the field through the air, when defenses covered the plays they knew were coming, we had little else in terms of a passing attack to get them off their spots.

Pete's solution was 100% logical and the correct adjustment - run more to force defenses out of the high cover looks. We had no passing gear to switch to to make that happen. Either more RB, or more Russ. And Russ had long made clear he had no desire to use his legs anymore.

But in the divisive atmoshpere generated by the LRC campaign and the QB at the time stating the offense needed to be more explosive - ie more passing, proverbial lines were drawn and one could be led to believe that solution was either A - listen to an old coach, mired in his old ways, or B - stand on the side of the exciting QB who was only asking that we do the only thing that seemed to make the offense work - let him pass more.

But in reality, it was never that simple. Nothing in the smoky haze of he post LOB Seahawks success was.

PC, last year responded directly to the question of whether he preferred a game manager at the qb position since it seemed he preferred relying on the run and strong defense to win, favoring low scoring, close battles that came down to the 4th qtr. He said bluntly that the belief that he wanted those things was absolutley false. He said he likes a strng offense, and if he can win by 20 every game and have an electric qb who can dominate through the air, that he'd love it.
BS, He pretty much inherited that in Hasselbeck. Obviously it isn’t a necessity or he would have done more to keep him and have traded up this year. RW’s rookie pay made it possible to afford the LOB and Marshawn.

I actually think we are in a pretty similar situation now. With first and second round RBs and another with a big chip on the shoulder it’s time to run the hell out of the ball. Geno is good for a couple (maybe even more with smith). And if the defense can keep the score low and create turnovers we’ll be a serious contender.

And Wagz is back.

Last edited:

seahawks08

Reaction score
When Pete got here, he wanted to run the ball with the philosophy that over the air has more opportunities to get intercepted. He also believes that to help a rookie QB, you need a strong ground attack. It changed over course as we didn’t have a strong healthy durable running backs and Russ wanted to cook. Once Waldron took over, I feel Pete’s hands off except when he wants to grind the clock in the 4th quarter. Pete to me is letting his OC do his thing as the idea was to make offense more shifty rather than old school.

keasley45

Reaction score
BS, He pretty much inherited that in Hasselbeck. Obviously it isn’t a necessity or he would have done more to keep him and have traded up this year. RW’s rookie pay made it possible to afford the LOB and Marshawn.

I actually think we are in a pretty similar situation now. With first and second round RBs and another with a big chip on the shoulder it’s time to run the hell out of the ball. Geno is good for a couple (maybe even more with smith). And if the defense can keep the score low and create turnovers we’ll be a serious contender.

And Wagz is back.
Bs what?

If you're disputing PC doesn't prefer the run to the pass and instead ust wants a simple system and player at the qb position, you are disputing the man's own words.

Agree that cap-wise, we are in a great spot to go on a long run of success

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Bs what?

If you're disputing PC doesn't prefer the run to the pass and instead ust wants a simple system and player at the qb position, you are disputing the man's own words.

Agree that cap-wise, we are in a great spot to go on a long run of success
If he loves QB's that dominate through the air than why take a short QB? Why do nothing to draft or trade for one? Matt Hasselbeck was a QB that could dominate through the air, why make little to no effort to hang on to him?

PC is content riding Geno and hopes he doesn't go off the rails so that he can continue to avoid the QB issue.

If it isn't that then we would have to assume PC is insane for saying that he would love having a QB that can dominate through the air but they would have to randomly appear. I mean I'd love that too... but am pretty sure they don't just fall out of the sky.

And drafting 3 RB's in the last 2 years really doesn't help his case.

Last edited:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Because by the time Carroll and Schneider were hired by the Seahawks in 2010, Hasselbeck was 35 and hadn't had an above-league-average season since 2007.
Yeah totally agree. Not really sure why we're discussing ancient history though. The league has completely shifted since that time as well.

knownone

Reaction score
Pete adapts to his personnel. Running is undoubtedly a part of the equation, but historically, there's only one season where we ran significantly more than other teams. And it's worth wondering if that was in response to Russell's limitation.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
If he loves QB's that dominate through the air than why take a short QB? Why do nothing to draft or trade for one? Matt Hasselbeck was a QB that could dominate through the air, why make little to no effort to hang on to him?
You may not remember this, but they had an offer on the table for Hasselbeck, but they warned him it wouldn't be there indefinitely. That was that weird lockout offseason. Matt chose to play around and not sign it until after everything ended. By the time he wanted to sign it, they had already made other plans and the offer was no longer on the table.

To put it another way, they did make the effort to sign him. But they weren't going to allow all their planning to grind to a halt while one player took his sweet time to make up his mind. So while they thought highly of Matt, they didn't think that highly of him.

morgulon1

Reaction score
The RB room has been pretty thin for several years, especially with guys we were trying to showcase as "the guy."

Loving the additions. Both Charbonnet and McIntosh bring skills and attitude to the table, and are pretty certain to make the cut to 53 come late August, barring the "I" word that has been biting us since forever, it seems.

View attachment 59044
I dislike colbert

morgulon1

Reaction score
Isn't this just basic fundamental football? A team HAS to be able to run the ball and make the opponent respect
The chance it might happen. 3rd and short ,4th downs and like others have already stated the end of the game when you're nursing a lead and need 2-3 firsts downs to finish.

I don't think PC at this point is against passing but wants the ability to run. Seattle has had problems the last 5 or so seasons having a running back make it through without injury . As great as KWIII
Was last year , he still missed time for injury. Charbonet and McIntosh were great picks

IMHO