The O is great; D Bad

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Thank you for a rational and objective POV. Agree across the board. We need to improve the pass rush. I love Bobby, but he is a step slower in coverage. Loved most of what I saw from Spoon...he was tight on coverage much of the game and showed his instincts.

Bobby was not brought back to play amazing against the pass, he was brought back to shore up the leaky run defense up the middle, and get everybody on the right page with gaps, fits and positioning.

Considering he's now ranked 2nd in the entire league in run stop rate (runs that constitute a loss), I'd say successful return for Bobby.

Not to mention his mentorship and leadership, of which Pete credited Bobby's spirited Wednesday speech to the team as a major factor for the increased focus and aggressiveness of the Lions game.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Bobby was not brought back to play amazing against the pass, he was brought back to shore up the leaky run defense up the middle, and get everybody on the right page with gaps, fits and positioning.

Considering he's now ranked 2nd in the entire league in run stop rate (runs that constitute a loss), I'd say successful return for Bobby.

Not to mention his mentorship and leadership, of which Pete credited Bobby's spirited Wednesday speech to the team as a major factor for the increased focus and aggressiveness of the Lions game.
Agree about the run, but he's gonna have to cover as well and will pose a challenge. Spoon in the slot could help offset that a bit, but pressure from the line is the solution.

morgulon1

Reaction score
The defensive scheme is going to continue to be the Achilles heal unfortunately.

Geno and the O played a near flawless game, and they barely won.

This is what we've been seeing around here for awhile. The QB has to play out of his mind to barely win a game. On normal teams, that should equate to a blowout, or a game that the team remains in command of at the very least. Not skin of your teeth barely win, which should be rare cool thing.

Also what happens when the QB doesn't have an amazing game, and just plays okay? What happens then?

They have too much talent on defense to be this bad. They are not scheming to their personel on that side of the ball enough.

Briefly, in the 2nd half they finally started showing pressure based looks, and brought some pressure too. With a nice stunt, a Nickel Blitz sack, and a pick 6.

They sped up Goff's clock, and good things happened. We must all pray, they recognize this and lean into it more.
As that is how they are built to play.

Not shell coverage which is what they are mostly in.

On the flipside I was thoroughly impressed with the Seahawks offensive staff with the plan they put together to mitigate not having both starting OTs in this game, and then the Center went out.

Going into it, I was just hoping for functional. Instead they dominated, moving the ball up and down the field all game long. Geno had 2 bad plays. 2, that is it.

He was under pressure quite a bit, but the ball was getting out quick, and pretty much everyone on that side of the ball looked good, and was being utilized how you'd like.

They still need to get the TEs involved more in the red zone, and I'd love to see them move DK around more, motion him.

But all 'n all the offense is freaking great!
Overall , I can't disagree with what dude is saying here. Seattle has talent on defense. The don't get beat deep philosophy seems to be an Achilles heel to a point . If course, no team wants to get beat deep but that's not how offenses are doing it these days and teams have been eating Seattle alive for the past several years. Pete Carroll has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know but I wonder what he thinks and why.

I hold on to the hope that once they get everyone back and playing together at the same time they'll improve.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Agree about the run, but he's gonna have to cover as well and will pose a challenge. Spoon in the slot could help offset that a bit, but pressure from the line is the solution.

Wagner shouldn't be covering crossers or deep TE in routes, so if he's doing that? Then it was a bad defensive playcall.

He should only be dropping into shallow middle zones on obviously passing plays and attacking RB check downs.

That's why you're seeing so much nickel and dime, to get those 5 safeties and CB's on the field to better cover those crossing routes. REALLY REALLY bad job of this in week one, but better job in week 2. Probably because of Witherspoon in the lineup and Brown playing much better than he did week one, of which he was arguably the worst defender on the field.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, must have been watching a different game. He was all over the field. And also had a fumble recovery.
Then again, you'll get told by a few people that tackles don't matter, he sucks, blah blah blah.
Same people who claim that Brooks is average. Couldn't disagree more, and that's fine.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
He had tackles, but they were always after the completion. He's always a step or two behind.

How about breaking up the pass, like Spoon did on stopping that 4th down attempt?
Have you ever played defense, hoxrox?

The quarterbacks and receivers have the advantage of common knowledge.

It's the corner backs & outside linebackers that are on an island out there.

Julian Love had 13 total tackles, 10 solo, and that doesn't impress you none?

Wow...

hoxrox

Reaction score
Have you ever played defense, hoxrox?

The quarterbacks and receivers have the advantage of common knowledge.

It's the corner backs & outside linebackers that are on an island out there.

Julian Love had 13 total tackles, 10 solo, and that doesn't impress you none?

Wow...
I don't know. Maybe Ryan Neal breaks up the pass... just sayin'

He might not be horrible, but looking at the pass defense past two games where his area of the field is constantly open, he's definitely not helping.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe Ryan Neal breaks up the pass... just sayin'

He might not be horrible, but looking at the pass defense past two games where his area of the field is constantly open, he's definitely not helping.
Julian Love isn't helping?
He's only the best tackler on this team, both weeks one & two.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Julian Love isn't helping?
He's only the best tackler on this team, both weeks one & two.
Passes defensed may be the better stat for a safety. To his credit, he ALMOST broke up that big pass to St. Brown. But he didn't.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Passes defensed may be the better stat for a safety. To his credit, he ALMOST broke up that big pass to St. Brown. But he didn't
Hm, I honestly don't even know how you can defend that post of yours, hotrox.
Julian Love had 13 tackles, 10 solo tackles.
You can deny that all day long, but Love was the leading tackler.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hm, I honestly don't even know how you can defend that post of yours, hotrox.
Julian Love had 13 tackles, 10 solo tackles.
You can deny that all day long, but Love was the leading tackler.
He's a safety. A safety leading the team in tackles is not a good thing. He was again getting beat in coverage. The reason he had that many tackles was Goff was throwing to the guy he was covering. Great he made the tackles but terrible he allowed the catch in the first place.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
He's a safety. A safety leading the team in tackles is not a good thing. He was again getting beat in coverage. The reason he had that many tackles was Goff was throwing to the guy he was covering. Great he made the tackles but terrible he allowed the catch in the first place.

That was such a _____ comment, that I just had to to read it two & three times, to make sure that I heard you right!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Just about all the NFL tackle leaders are MLB's and safeties.

In today's hybrid 3-4 defenses with 80% of snaps with 5 DB's on the field, you're going to have a LOT of teams with their safeties as tackle leaders.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Just about all the NFL tackle leaders are MLB's and safeties.

In today's hybrid 3-4 defenses with 80% of snaps with 5 DB's on the field, you're going to have a LOT of teams with their safeties as tackle leaders.
That's a valid point. Yes, LBs should be the leaders in tackles on the team. Bobby is #2 in the league and Brooks is also among the top leaders there too. So that is a good sign.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That's a valid point. Yes, LBs should be the leaders in tackles on the team. Bobby is #2 in the league and Brooks is also among the top leaders there too. So that is a good sign.

What this leader chart shows is that it's not the antiquated stat that if your DB's and safeties are leading your team in tackles it means the RB's and receivers are getting the ball too far downfield.

In today's game most defenses employ schemes and formations that put safeties down in the box. Which Love is doing quite often, he is taking the place of Adams in that respect. So most of the time he's got Diggs behind him and he's closer to the LOS.