Niners miss playoffs?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1cgj6pq4 said:
NINEster":1cgj6pq4 said:
Still a better shot at making the playoffs than going into St. Louis in 2010 trying to win the division at 7-9....

You know we won a playoff game that year? As many as y'all won two years ago. :lol:

I don't even know why I'm paying attention to weak smack from a fan of the tied-for-second-place team in the NFCW anyway.
Bye week boredom?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
They COULD miss the playoffs. At this point, I'd rather play SF than the Panthers.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":zgdt4q8j said:
I can very easily see the ninnies miss the playoffs. St. Louis is playing better and won't roll over and play dead like they did in St. Louis, the Cards almost beat them in SF, and those are the easy games.

If the Cards almost beat them in SF, then the Cards almost beat us in Arizona. Same margin of victory.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
You apparently didn't watch the AZ 9er game. It was much closer than the score indicated.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RichNhansom":gk5gtbam said:
You apparently didn't watch the AZ 9er game. It was much closer than the score indicated.

Was it?

The 49ers were only down by 1 point for one possession in that entire game. It was at the start of the second quarter. The 9ers were down 7-6, drove 75 yards down the field to the Cardinals 2 yard line, had a turnover, and then sacked Palmer for a safety three plays later.

That was with 11 minutes left in the second quarter and they never trailed again.

Agreed that the Hawks game wasn't even as close as that (Hawks went out to a 14 pt early lead, let them get back into it through the second and half of the third quarter and then pulled away again), but don't think either of them were really close.

Largent80

Reaction score
Cards are playing better now and that wildcard spot is going to be hotly contested. Will the 9ers make it?....Time will tell, but it wasn't like they played a horrible game vs. N.O.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
A lot of football left and the way this season has gone so far, I think I will wait for the fat lady to start singing before deciding anything.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
IIRC, AZ was never more than a possession behind until that last drive late in the fourth where Frank Gore put the team on his back doe, so it was in some ways closer, but in some ways not because I watched as Frank Gore straight demoralized that defense and it was clear SF was going to score and win comfortably.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Been running scenarios through Playoff Machine and about 2 out of 3 times, the Niners don't make the playoffs.

It's actually going to be an uphill battle for them from here on out. They better root for the Eagles to knock off the Bears and the Lions. That's about the only scenario where they make the playoffs and that's even IF they beat Seattle. If they lose to Seattle, then I really have to get creative and say there's an "any given sunday except for SF" for the Niners to make it.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
NinjaHawk":39ih8yzr said:
HawkWow":39ih8yzr said:
rjdriver":39ih8yzr said:
I feel very, very confident that the Niners get a wildcard. The only way they miss is due to some key injuries in the O-Line.

We'll beat them three times if we have to.

Your scenario would be my personal preference. What could be better?

I'm right with you, I WANT the Niners in the playoffs (if they make it). I couldn't get on the "hope the Niners beat the Saints" bandwagon last weekend, I'll never root for Harbaugh and/or Kaepernick. Ever. If we could be the team that crushes their SB redemption fantasy and boots them out of the playoffs personally, that would be a beautiful cherry on top of a sweet run to the Owl of Superbness.
: YES YES YES, after we clinch the division, I WILL root for the 49ers to win out because I want to knock them out of the playoffs on our way to winning the Lombardi, TOTAL BLISS!!

:49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3h6jcmng said:

You mean the game where the Cards held a 1 point lead briefly in the 1st half and never led again? The one where they managed to score on their 1st possession in the 2nd half to get within a FG and then NEVER MADE IT TO THE RED ZONE AGAIN?

That close game? :roll:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1wiamgwr said:
RichNhansom":1wiamgwr said:

You mean the game where the Cards held a 1 point lead briefly in the 1st half and never led again? The one where they managed to score on their 1st possession in the 2nd half to get within a FG and then NEVER MADE IT TO THE RED ZONE AGAIN?

I'll just copy and paste SmellyMcUggly's post:

IIRC, AZ was never more than a possession behind until that last drive late in the fourth where Frank Gore put the team on his back doe, so it was in some ways closer, but in some ways not because I watched as Frank Gore straight demoralized that defense and it was clear SF was going to score and win comfortably.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":28ruo1c5 said:
volsunghawk":28ruo1c5 said:
RichNhansom":28ruo1c5 said:

I'll just copy and paste SmellyMcUggly's post:

The Cards were 2 possessions behind (9 points) for their final 3 drives, which amounted to most of the 4th quarter.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3fb72ob2 said:
Been running scenarios through Playoff Machine and about 2 out of 3 times, the Niners don't make the playoffs.

If the playoffs were held today the 9ers would be in. Two out of three times I do it the 49ers win the division. :)

9ers have two of six remaining games against teams with a winning record.

Cards have four of six remaining games against teams with a winning record.

The 9ers might very well not make the playoffs, but I don't think it will be the Cards who are making the playoffs over them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":kra9w5a8 said:
SalishHawkFan":kra9w5a8 said:

If the playoffs were held today the 9ers would be in. Two out of three times I do it the 49ers win the division. :)

9ers have two of six remaining games against teams with a winning record.

Cards have four of six remaining games against teams with a winning record.

The 9ers might very well not make the playoffs, but I don't think it will be the Cards who are making the playoffs over them.

I'm thinking it's going to come down to which team get the hottest over the next 6 games. I could see the niners struggling a bit and the cards getting hot. Niners of late haven't been impressive in the least and I think that besides playing Seattle there are a couple of trap games in St. Louis and Arizona.

C-Dub

Reaction score
I just don't see how the Niners can miss the playoffs unless they collapse.

Week 12:
Bucs @ Lions, Vikings @ Packers*, Bears @ Rams*, Panthers @ Fins, Colts @ Cards, Cowboys* @ Giants, Niners @ Skins

Week 13:
Packers @ Lions, Raiders @ Cowboys, Bears @ Vikings, Cards* @ Eagles, Bucs @ Panthers, Rams @ Niners, Giants @ Skins*, Saints @ Hawks

Week 14:
Panthers @ Saints, Lions @ Eagles*, Hawks @ Niners*, Falcons* @ Packers, Cowboys* @ Bears

Week 15:
Bears @ Browns, Saints @ Rams, Eagles @ Vikings, Hawks @ Giants*, Niners @ Bucs, Jets @ Panthers, Packers @ Cowboys*, Ravens @ Lions*

Week 16:
Bears* @ Eagles, Cowboys @ Skins, Saints* @ Panthers, Giants* @ Lions, Cards @ Hawks, Stealers @ Packers, Falcons @ Niners

Week 17:
Panthers* @ Falcons, Packers @ Bears*, Eagles* @ Cowboys, Lions @ Vikings, Bucs @ Saints, Skins* @ Giants, Niners @ Cards, Rams @ Hawks

*Close game that can go either way

So my guess is this...
1. Seahawks 15-1
2. Saints 12-4
3. Detroit 11-5
4. Eagles 9-7
5. Niners 11-5
6. Panthers 11-5

The Cowboys and Giants miss the playoffs at 8-8.
The Cardinals miss the playoffs at 8-8.
The Bears and Packers miss the playoffs at 10-6 and 9-7.

But there's so many close games the last few weeks that can go either way. Eagles, Dallas, Giants, Cards, Bears, Lions, Packers, Panthers are all in the mix.

I can see the final standing ranging from...
1. Seahawks 15-1 to 13-3
2. Saints 14-2 to 12-4
3. Lions and Bears 12-4 to 9-7
4. Eagles and Cowboys 12-4 to 8-8
5. Niners 12-4 to 10-6
6. Panthers 12-4 to 9-7

The Giants and Packers could sneak in with a lot of help.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I can see them collapsing. You have a QB with a fragile ego, and low confidence. You stop Gore, you stop the ninnies.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":rqyqaov0 said:
If the Niners and Panthers both finish at 11-5, the Panthers would be the five-seed and the Niners would be the six-seed. I'm pretty sure head-to-head is the first tiebreak used for Wild Card contending teams.
Yup. Got em switched.

Latest posts