Sometimes I Miss Holmgren

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I'm watching Pete's presser the other day and he looked almost happy. Chill, relaxed. I then thought, "How would Holmgren look in his press conference coming off that loss?"

I'll tell you how. Red faced. Hot. Pissed off. As a coach should be.

As undisciplined as this team really is, these are the times I wish Holmgren were still our coach. I will always be grateful for Pete Carroll and what he gave our franchise, but it's crystal clear that his Sun is setting and the team needs more than a Player's Coach right now. You need discipline. A coach that erupts on the sideline when there is penalty after penalty.

Say what you want about Mike Holmgren but boy did he have the respect of his players. Add Chuck Knox to that mix as well.

I love ya Pete, but you need to retire.
Lmao. Pete>>>holm

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
If you wanna talk about a pissed off Seattle coach???

No one better than “Sweet” Lou Piniella!

The guy when he blew up on umpires during his times managing the Ms was Legendary!

Too bad we don’t see this anymore!

That’s the stuff of Legends!!! Lol
Who won zero chips in Seattle with 4 hall of fame players. I love Lou but he sure escaped the social media era.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Lmao. Pete>>>holm
Holmgren actually has a better overall win percentage than Pete Carroll and a better post season record. In addition, he is one of the few coaches to take two teams to the Super Bowl.

Saying Pete is greater than Holmgren is false when we're talking about their overall NFL careers.

Now, if we specified time in Seattle that would be a different story. As a coach overall, Holmgren's coaching resume is every bit as impressive as Carroll's, if not better in some respects.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I really don't buy into the "Pete had inside knowledge" angle. There are so many holes in that line of thinking.

I know you don't believe in that, but I believe there was something to it. He drafted a stable of outstanding players in his early days and then whiffed for years after.

themunn

Reaction score
Holmgren actually has a better overall win percentage than Pete Carroll and a better post season record. In addition, he is one of the few coaches to take two teams to the Super Bowl.

Saying Pete is greater than Holmgren is false when we're talking about their overall NFL careers.

Now, if we specified time in Seattle that would be a different story. As a coach overall, Holmgren's coaching resume is every bit as impressive as Carroll's, if not better in some respects.

It's pretty much neck and neck at this point.

0.592 win records, Holmgren has 13 post season wins to 11 losses vs Carroll's 11 wins and 11 losses.

And not to take anything away from Holmgren since you can only beat the team in front of you, but he presided over our team during a spell where we played in the "NFC Worst", with 4 divisional titles between 2004-07 where not a single one of our divisional rivals posted a winning record. By comparison, the NFC West has been the NFL's strongest division over the period Carroll has been here.

People complain about last season's 9 win team yet Holmgren had 6 seasons where he won as much or less as Hawks coach. Carroll has just 3

Aircrew

Reaction score
While I agree with the OP, I'll never miss Holmy's platitudes.

"I think he'd really like that one back"
-Mike Holmgren responding to a Hasselbeck interception

Thanks Mike, that was deep.

AK49Hawk

Reaction score

0.592 win records, Holmgren has 13 post season wins to 11 losses vs Carroll's 11 wins and 11 losses.

And not to take anything away from Holmgren since you can only beat the team in front of you, but he presided over our team during a spell where we played in the "NFC Worst", with 4 divisional titles between 2004-07 where not a single one of our divisional rivals posted a winning record. By comparison, the NFC West has been the NFL's strongest division over the period Carroll has been here.

People complain about last season's 9 win team yet Holmgren had 6 seasons where he won as much or less as Hawks coach. Carroll has just 3
I agree with you except for the idea there are people complaining about last years team. I’m pretty sure most people were surprised at how well last years team did, no one, I mean no one expected 9 wins and a playoff berth.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score

Im talking in Seattle which i assume "Seattle Fans" are speaking about on a Seattle forum when they say "I miss Holmgren". Lets not move the goalposts to change that PC has 1 chip in Seattle and Holmgren has 0. Pete has taken Seattle to 2 superbowls and Holmgren did one.

If we are speaking in general, thats like me saying I miss Jerry Rice.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I know you don't believe in that, but I believe there was something to it. He drafted a stable of outstanding players in his early days and then whiffed for years after.
I should clarify that it probably did help Pete personally in terms of player evaluations. What I mean is that the success Pete had in drafting cannot be replicated by other college coaches making the jump, and usually it doesn't help them at all.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I really liked Holmgren. He might even be better in today’s NFL.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I should clarify that it probably did help Pete personally in terms of player evaluations. What I mean is that the success Pete had in drafting cannot be replicated by other college coaches making the jump, and usually it doesn't help them at all.
I think Seattle got extremely lucky with this early drafts, not to say they didn’t do a great job and deserve credit because they do but some luck that all those guys popped in the later rounds and Russ was a massive hit. Even Pete said at one point if Russ didn’t hit he might’ve been fired or not coaching there

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
But in what ways do the Ravens apply said adjustments to greater success? I'm just trying to understand, because I'm not convinced this is an issue unique to our team.

They held on to Greg Roman for too long, for instance, and refused to acknowledge the pressing need for passing options for Lamar Jackson, which contributed to him refusing to re-sign and requesting a trade publicly this offseason until they ponied up big dollars.

I'm just saying that we're kind of pining for a history that sounds very similar to everything we complain about here, except with even less success over the past ten years...
I blame it on the fantasy football/highlights only nature of fans these days. Nobody ever sees or acknowledges flaws in any other team but the one they root for. It's an easy trap to fall into when you only look at stats and see the big plays from around the league

LTH

Reaction score
I'm watching Pete's presser the other day and he looked almost happy. Chill, relaxed. I then thought, "How would Holmgren look in his press conference coming off that loss?"

I'll tell you how. Red faced. Hot. Pissed off. As a coach should be.

As undisciplined as this team really is, these are the times I wish Holmgren were still our coach. I will always be grateful for Pete Carroll and what he gave our franchise, but it's crystal clear that his Sun is setting and the team needs more than a Player's Coach right now. You need discipline. A coach that erupts on the sideline when there is penalty after penalty.

Say what you want about Mike Holmgren but boy did he have the respect of his players. Add Chuck Knox to that mix as well.

I love ya Pete, but you need to retire.
I'm disappointed beyond belief in the fan base. This is a young team on the rise and they are meeting the expectations that people had for them this year. Except, most people have higher expectations than they are willing to admit. That's just the truth.

When the godfather basically throws in the towel, I mean, come on dude have some grit!

I'm Highly disappointed....

LTH

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

NoGain

Reaction score
They're both great coaches, and we're lucky to have had them. Both belong in the HOF. Very different styles. Hard to pick between the two.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I really liked Holmgren. He might even be better in today’s NFL.
Maybe if he was coming into the NFL. As it stands now, Holmgren even said he was starting to get behind the times as coach. As he was leaving he was very much so behind the times.