Niners miss playoffs?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ehhh, 9ers could definitely miss the playoffs. The NFL is pretty unpredictable. I mean, in two games the 9ers were four points away from being thought of as the second best team in the division and still majorly in the hunt for the NFCW division title, and now they might be on the outside looking in for the playoffs at all.

Everyone agrees that the division race is basically over, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the 9ers did or didn't make the playoffs. There are too many close games with too many fluke plays and close calls to think the 9ers will make the playoffs simply because they're more talented than the Bears, Lions, Cowboys, etc. They're basically fighting for the 6th seed, and anything can happen with that.

hawker84

Reaction score
you have some fairly winnable games coming up minus Dec 8th of course. I could see a late season surge and slip in as the 5th or 6th seed. I'm not counting out the niners till they are dead in the water...

Polaris

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2sn2pwr9 said:
Ehhh, 9ers could definitely miss the playoffs. The NFL is pretty unpredictable. I mean, in two games the 9ers were four points away from being thought of as the second best team in the division and still majorly in the hunt for the NFCW division title, and now they might be on the outside looking in for the playoffs at all.

Everyone agrees that the division race is basically over, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the 9ers did or didn't make the playoffs. There are too many close games with too many fluke plays and close calls to think the 9ers will make the playoffs simply because they're more talented than the Bears, Lions, Cowboys, etc. They're basically fighting for the 6th seed, and anything can happen with that.

Could the Niners miss the playoffs? Yes. However, I think that's actually pretty unlikely once we look at the remaining schedules of all the contendening teams. I think after last night it's pretty clear (esp since the rest of the NFC South is garbage) that one of the Wildcard spots is going to be Panthers/Saints (depending on who doesn't win the NFCS). If you look at the remaining 6-4 teams (including the Niners), you see that the Niners only have two winning teams left:

Seattle and Arizona

I think the Niners lose against Seattle. Seattle simply matches up too well against the Niners esp given the state of the Niners right now (and that game is no longer so far away). However, I think Arizona is a flash in the pan. Arizona is going to have to face the Rams and Seattle (and Arizona is winless in the division) as well as Indy. I also note that the Niners were able to handle Arizona before. All the other teams the Niners face, they should be able to beat.

So at worst I think the Niners finish 10-6 which will get them the last wildcard and I am penciling them in at 11-5.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Oh, yeah, if I were forced to put money on it I'd put my money with the 9ers (and not out of fandom, I just simply agree with all the points you're making).

And TBH, it's not the Cards who I think beat them for the WC spot. They have a better record but I think the Cards are probably a less competitive team than the Rams. The Saints or Panthers will most likely be the 5th seed. I'm just saying that depending on when Rodgers comes back, there are two of three teams (one will win the division) which we can't count out in the NFC North.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
They'll probably still end up 11-5 at worst, and that will get them in without question. They've only lost to playoff teams this year, which might not bode well for the post season, but they should win out sans Seattle.

bigwrm

Reaction score
It's even possible that the eagles or cowboys make a run at the wildcard.

Polaris

Reaction score
bigwrm":26995vwh said:
It's even possible that the eagles or cowboys make a run at the wildcard.

Possible but very unlikely. The NFC East has two essentially 0.500 teams (Eagles and Cowboys) and two teams that are mediocre (sub 0.500). The NFC East will be won by the team that gets to 9 wins first. There won't be a wildcard team here.

The QB situation in the NFC North makes the situation dicier but when you factor that in, no one other than Detriot has a particularly easy path, and Detroit will most likely win the North. That leaves New Orleans, Carolina, San Fran, and Arizona. Arizona has a BRUTAL schedule down the road, and have shown no real ability to win such games. I think Arizona is a flash in the pan and flames out down the stretch. San Fran is suffering from some overreaction IMHO right now, but honestly has a very cush schedule other than Seattle. That IMHO gives San Fran the inside track for a wildcard spot (but almost surely the #6 seed). That leaves Carolina and New Orleans. I think both make the playoffs. It call comes down to who wins the South and based on what I've seen recently, I like the Panther's chances.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
It would be hilarious if they ended tied with NO for the 6th seed and lost due to tie breaker.

You think Whiner fans are whining now about Brooks roughing the passer call?

Polaris

Reaction score
RichNhansom":31b3jvs8 said:
It would be hilarious if they ended tied with NO for the 6th seed and lost due to tie breaker.

You think Whiner fans are whining now about Brooks roughing the passer call?

If that were to happen, I think every single 49ner forum could go "China Syndrome"

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I can very easily see the ninnies miss the playoffs. St. Louis is playing better and won't roll over and play dead like they did in St. Louis, the Cards almost beat them in SF, and those are the easy games.

Legion12Boom

Reaction score
There's always a possibility they miss the playoffs, but looking at there remaining schedule I doubt they will. I think they will sneak in as the 6 seed. However it would be nice if they didn't make it. Go Hawks!!
:49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

NINEster

Reaction score
Still a better shot at making the playoffs than going into St. Louis in 2010 trying to win the division at 7-9....

Kakaww

Reaction score
NINEster":2wnm54v6 said:
Still a better shot at making the playoffs than going into St. Louis in 2010 trying to win the division at 7-9....

Missing the logic on your jab there. Partial credit.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
NINEster":3ms50u00 said:

You know we won a playoff game that year? As many as y'all won two years ago. :lol:

I don't even know why I'm paying attention to weak smack from a fan of the tied-for-second-place team in the NFCW anyway.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Kakaww":1c6j1q3b said:
NINEster":1c6j1q3b said:

Missing the logic on your jab there. Partial credit.
I dunno about that. Even partial credit is kind of generous here. It's hard to see what he was even trying to do with this post. :roll:

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
NINEster":kgctx5kz said:

Your point being that your team couldn't even win that division?

Throwdown

Reaction score
NINEster":307q6c31 said:

Man threw a god damn gummy bear at our glass house.

slipwax

Reaction score
I want to face the 9ers in the playoffs. How sweet would that be?

Throwdown

Reaction score
slipwax":221nq6r2 said:

You don't remember the Redskin trolls? It'd be just as bad, and they wouldn't come back here after they lose like always anyway.

slipwax

Reaction score
Throwdown":kqnasne2 said:
slipwax":kqnasne2 said:

You don't remember the Redskin trolls? It'd be just as bad, and they wouldn't come back here after they lose like always anyway.

I don't care if the trolls wanna come back. Just watching harbaugh cry would make my weekend

Latest posts