Sometimes I Miss Holmgren

morgulon1

Reaction score
I think better coordinators would go a long way. Real good ones. They should be the ones bringing the heat to these players who make stupid mistakes like
not knowing where to be on the line of scrimmage (Eskridge) . That's beyond
Gross negligence of simple basic rules .
The same rules from Junior high school.

Then Petey Pete can be the public spreader of sunshine and flowers.

Xxx

Reaction score
Andy Reid is a guru type. Not as irritable as Holmgren. Can manage personalities. I don't think he's especially abrasive.

If we're just going to hire Jim, I'd rather wait for Pete to retire. Jim's good, but he's just a slightly worse Carroll in terms of results. Not quite Carroll in the collegiate ranks, not quite Carroll in the pro ranks.
Andy Reid draws on people’s faces when they’re sleeping

Xxx

Reaction score
Andy Reid is a guru type. Not as irritable as Holmgren. Can manage personalities. I don't think he's especially abrasive.

If we're just going to hire Jim, I'd rather wait for Pete to retire. Jim's good, but he's just a slightly worse Carroll in terms of results. Not quite Carroll in the collegiate ranks, not quite Carroll in the pro ranks.
Not quite carrol in the cool under pressure ranks

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
Anyone ever see Trent Dilfer explode on his coaches and players?… Sometimes it’s a borderline class A misdemeanor.

jeremiah

Reaction score

PC had a heads up on College players coming to the draft, it showed the first few years. I expect JH being the same, maybe better because College teams now recruit. They know what they need and get it.. like NFL teams should do, but they wasted Millions on a QB, instead of drafting and playing the guy while the team gels like with RW. When RW needed more $$$$ to stay, they should have franchised him one time, then traded his rights for a 1st rounder.. Rinse and repeat...

Xxx

Reaction score
PC had a heads up on College players coming to the draft, it showed the first few years. I expect JH being the same, maybe better because College teams now recruit. They know what they need and get it.. like NFL teams should do, but they wasted Millions on a QB, instead of drafting and playing the guy while the team gels like with RW. When RW needed more $$$$ to stay, they should have franchised him one time, then traded his rights for a 1st rounder.. Rinse and repeat...
I don’t think it was about money for russ. I think he wanted to get away from Pete’s play style so he could show how good he was. You know let Russ cook…

Xxx

Reaction score
You talking about a long time ago when they signed him?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'd be careful banking on that type of thing, because that really doesn't work out for almost any other college coach who has made the jump. Teams have massive scouting operations that pick apart the entire career of each prospect. A background knowledge of opposing players doesn't automatically give anyone a high hit rate in the draft. Didn't work for Rhule, Meyer, etc. in the slightest.

I really don't buy into the "Pete had inside knowledge" angle. There are so many holes in that line of thinking.

Xxx

Reaction score
I'd be careful banking on that type of thing, because that really doesn't work out for almost any other college coach who has made the jump. Teams have massive scouting operations that pick apart the entire career of each prospect. A background knowledge of opposing players doesn't automatically give anyone a high hit rate in the draft. Didn't work for Rhule, Meyer, etc. in the slightest.

I really don't buy into the "Pete had inside knowledge" angle. There are so many holes in that line of thinking.
Right, just cause Pete coached a college team didn’t mean he had inside info on players all around the country, I guarantee that pro teams know everything they can know about college players

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Also, Harbaugh jumped from college to the 49ers in 2011. From same conference as Pete and everything.

He misevaluated players like Baldwin and Sherman on his own team, and then proceeded to draft at a pretty average success level. 2012 was heinous.

He didn't have full control or anything, but... we really cannot count on any sort of boost just because Jim's coming from CFB

minormillikin

Reaction score
As far as the John/Jim Harbaugh stuff goes, I remember hearing awhile back from someone in nfl media (hazy, can't remember who) that John is the hard-ass, not Jim.

At the time I was surprised, because Jim seemed like a villain to this Seahawks fan, but I believe it now. Since Jim left the NFL I've heard him on various podcasts and interviews and he's all about good vibes and motivation. I think he just looks meaner than John.

Apparently, despite John's calmer, softer appearance on the sideline, he's known to be a pretty tough coach, who demands a lot from his players; while Jim may actually have more in common with Pete.

That said... I look forward to a shift in culture from Pete, but I don't think super old-school will work anymore. Some of these players are richer than the coaches before they even get drafted, they're literally entitled, so you need someone that can find the middle ground between tough-ass coach and motivational youth pastor.

Reactions: Xxx

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
As far as the John/Jim Harbaugh stuff goes, I remember hearing awhile back from someone in nfl media (hazy, can't remember who) that John is the hard-ass, not Jim.

At the time I was surprised, because Jim seemed like a villain to this Seahawks fan, but I believe it now. Since Jim left the NFL I've heard him on various podcasts and interviews and he's all about good vibes and motivation. I think he just looks meaner than John.

Apparently, despite John's calmer, softer appearance on the sideline, he's known to be a pretty tough coach, who demands a lot from his players; while Jim may actually have more in common with Pete.

That said... I look forward to a shift in culture from Pete, but I don't think super old-school will work anymore. Some of these players are richer than the coaches before they even get drafted, they're literally entitled, so you need someone that can find the middle ground between tough-ass coach and motivational youth pastor.
Yeah, John definitely had that reputation. He's apparently softened up over time as well. Think Lamar Jackson necessitated that - he doesn't seem like the dude that'd play that type of game.

Could just be age.

Jim's a peculiar one. Real "I've read The Art of War 798 times" type. His guys fight for him.