Interesting tidbit from Niners website

Mizak

Reaction score

In case you didn’t know, Aiyuk is going to be breaking the bank on an extension. How the 49ers manage to keep him is going to be cap wizardry we’ve never seen before. It is possible, I asked Jason Hurley, friend of the site and 49ers cap guru at 49erscap.com if it was possible to extend Aiyuk AND defensive lineman Chase Young and he had this to say

I mean yeah they could make it work, would mean some combo of Lenoir, Gregory, Banks, & Hufanga are gone, or let to test FA, Gregory would be cut, you wouldn't want 3 DEs making $14M+ a yr.

Some of you guys want Diggs and Adams gone. Well, heres a replacement.

evergreen

Reaction score
We just don’t want to pay $40 million for average safety play.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I like Hufanga a lot but we have seen enough years of being a high paid safety isn’t worth a damn on this Pete Carroll team post Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas.

Seattle just needs to shed some dead weight and the actual rebuild can begin.

And by dead weight I mean move on from Pete Carroll, first.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
So cut Adams for Hufanga? idk. Hufanga's going to be coming off a torn ACL and Adams is finally healthy. That's a lot of dead cap to roll the dice on a rehab project.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not diving into how it'd work logistically, since this seems like a pretty remote possibility, but Hufanga is under contract for them until 2025 FA. If Adams is cut next offseason (or Diggs, or both), almost all of that cap is off our books for 2025.

Both Diggs and Adams would make sense to cut. Their outs are structured around the 2024 offseason.