Keep blaming Geno

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not saying he doesn't have his moments, but to call for his benching for Lock is just plain asinine. Even fans of other teams can see the obvious issues on this team and that is the OLine. I called for lineman in the draft , they picked skill players. And today you see why that was two dumb ass picks. Both very good players no doubt, but not what we needed. Our problems are:

Interior OLin
Interior DLine
Head coach
Both coordinators

Fix the OLine issues and Geno is a top 5 QB.

I don't think they were dumb ass picks. The draft isn't a well-stocked grocery store, and it would've been a severe reach to take a lineman with either first.

Skill positions are important. Injuries hurt lines. They've had no time to play as a cohesive unit this year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
My guess is Geno has through the stretch of gauntlet games to prove to Pete and John he's their guy moving forward.

If by Christmas this offense is still struggling and the team's heading towards being bounced out of the playoff picture? Then yeah, I do think Pete wants to see what Lock looks like before the off season.

If Geno and the offense figures some stuff out can win these next two games and split or do better against SF twice, Philly and Dallas? Then get ready .Netters, cause Geno isn't going anywhere.

Xxx

Reaction score
Yep. Geno is an outstanding QB if he has a great O-line that is opening holes for RBs and giving him 3+ second clean pockets consistently.

If he doesn't have that, Geno cannot function. Many average QBs can at least maintain a functional level of play, even when they do kinda suck under those circumstances. Geno completely falls apart.

For all his talk of desiring a physical team with a strong running game, PC has utterly failed in ever building a solid O-line.

He loved RW because RW was one of the best ever at negating the weakness of a crappy O-line. Prime RW covered up PCs incompetence. This board is full of revisionism, but that is the truth.

Geno's play correlates almost perfectly with O-line play on this team. Since we can have no expectation of consistently average or above O-line play, there is no way we can expect to have consistent play from Geno.

Geno + PC is not a good combination.

I expect the same exact thing we've seen for almost a decade - consistent mediocrity (via usually beating bad teams and mostly losing to good teams, sometimes in embarrassing fashion) and a 80%+ chance of playoffs with no hope of actually doing anything once there.

Many posters here saw.this well before I did, but I now see what they've been saying all along.
I’m an awesome qb if I have all that

Xxx

Reaction score
I don't think they were dumb ass picks. The draft isn't a well-stocked grocery store, and it would've been a severe reach to take a lineman with either first.

Skill positions are important. Injuries hurt lines. They've had no time to play as a cohesive unit this year.
There were good lineman but prolly not top 5. I think if it wasn’t spoon it would have to be carter. Who would have a bigger impact? It’s debatable. I felt like we were strong at corner so I thought the need at lineman would get us carter. I love spoon but was he the right pick? I dunno

NoGain

Reaction score
Geno has limitations as a QB that no amount of reflection, practice, or wishing and hoping is going to cure. The best you can do is cover up his weakness as a quick and efficient processor and decision maker in such a way that we can squeeze the most out of his remaining talent. He just doesn't have that special gift/talent to see the whole field, find the best target, and get the ball out fast and efficiently to that receiver. Mahomes has got it, Burrows has got it, Brady had it, etc.., and that's much of the reason why they are/were great QB's.

Almost any NFL QB can find and hit receivers if you give them time. It's when that window of time shrinks that the great ones are still able to make something positive happen more often than not.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Geno has limitations as a QB that no amount of reflection, practice, or wishing and hoping is going to cure. The best you can do is cover up his weakness as a quick and efficient processor and decision maker in such a way that we can squeeze the most out of his remaining talent. He just doesn't have that special gift/talent to see the whole field, find the best target, and get the ball out fast and efficiently to that receiver. Mahomes has got it, Burrows has got it, Brady had it, etc.., and that's much of the reason why they are/were great QB's.

Almost any NFL QB can find and hit receivers if you give them time. It's when that window of time shrinks that the great ones are still able to make something positive happen more often than not.

All true. But Pete and Shane know all of Geno's limitations and should be doing a MUCH better job of scheming and playcalling to get him out of these long stretches of inconsistent and unsuccessful QB play.

When defenses know all your quick routes and throwing lanes and are easily defending those lanes, jumping routes and knocking passes down at the line?

That's not on Geno. That's some really bad playcalling and scheming. Sure Geno's not playing well, but his coaches are failing him.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My guess is Geno has through the stretch of gauntlet games to prove to Pete and John he's their guy moving forward.

If by Christmas this offense is still struggling and the team's heading towards being bounced out of the playoff picture? Then yeah, I do think Pete wants to see what Lock looks like before the off season.

If Geno and the offense figures some stuff out can win these next two games and split or do better against SF twice, Philly and Dallas? Then get ready .Netters, cause Geno isn't going anywhere.
I agree. Geno hasn't played very well for the past few games, but he hasn't stunk, either. I mentioned this in another thread so bear with me if I seem redundant, but yesterday, we gained just 28 yards on 15 attempts. That's less than 2 yards per rushing play, which puts us in very predictable downs. Our tight ends had just three targets yesterday, likely due to them having to be held in to help our leaky OL.

I'm no Geno fan and I'm under no illusion that he's our man going forward, but to bench a veteran player and team leader that has had so many other things beyond his control that has affected his play could have a detrimental effect on the team's morale, make it look like we're panicking when in actuality, we're tied for first in our division and still very much in the hunt.

IMO we stick with Geno at least through the rest of the month.

NoGain

Reaction score
All true. But Pete and Shane know all of Geno's limitations and should be doing a MUCH better job of scheming and playcalling to get him out of these long stretches of inconsistent and unsuccessful QB play.

When defenses know all your quick routes and throwing lanes and are easily defending those lanes, jumping routes and knocking passes down at the line?

That's not on Geno. That's some really bad playcalling and scheming. Sure Geno's not playing well, but his coaches are failing him.
No argument. Didn't see screen passes, bubble screens, quick strikes to the TE, etc... The offensive scheming has left a lot to be desired at times, especially in the red zone. We've got to develop a better short yardage, ball control, quick strike offensive scheme for games/teams such as this. I'm no expert, I'm just not seeing it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No argument. Didn't see screen passes, bubble screens, quick strikes to the TE, etc... The offensive scheming has left a lot to be desired at times, especially in the red zone. We've got to develop a better short yardage, ball control, quick strike offensive scheme for games/teams such as this. I'm no expert, I'm just not seeing it.

What is see is a coordinator struggling to take advantage of all his offensive weapons, especially JSN.

Last year I think we ran two TE sets something like 30-40% of the time. This year? It's non existent. Why? Cause there's a shiny new toy on the offense that our coaches want to use, and that means no heavy TE sets when you've got 3 WR sets with DK, Tyler and now JSN.

That means WAY too much Geno taking traditional step drops, and he's getting murdered back there.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score

100% agree with this.

OP
OP
hawker84

hawker84

Reaction score

They had a chance to add generational talent to the line play and they chose a 175 CB. They had a chance to get one of the top OLineman in the 1st and they drafted a reciever. They had a chance to draft the top center in college last season in the 2nd rd and they picked a rb. 🤷

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
They had a chance to add generational talent to the line play and they chose a 175 CB. They had a chance to get one of the top OLineman in the 1st and they drafted a reciever. They had a chance to draft the top center in college last season in the 2nd rd and they picked a rb. 🤷
The top center in college football last season was drafted by the Seahawks. Olu won both the Outland and Rimington Trophies in 2022. You can cry about things but I wouldn't cry about Seattle's last two drafts. They were seriously on fire.

Also what's with the disrespect for Witherspoon? He's playing at a DROY level.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
There wasn't a single generational OL talent in the entire 2023 draft. At all. Paris Johnson was the top one taken, a completely run-of-the-mill tackle prospect. There was especially little in the way of draftable IOL early, and that's where the largest needs are.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Not a shred of doubt that Geno had a shit game, but BE HONEST, the Defense had an even worse game playing against Lamar Jackson, and that's just a fact.
The entire team played like crap. The offensive line got completely destroyed. The only players that did their job well was Dickson and Meyers.

But somehow it's all Geno's fault.

So Pete should sit down with Geno and make sure he improves his blocking, tackling, defending the run, etc. You know, basic fundamental things Seattle completely crapped the bed at across the board. Also Geno needs to be a better offensive coordinator. He needs to call plays that fit the actual things happening on the field instead of what they drew up in a vacuum. Geno should also solve world hunger. Too many starving kids in this world and that's on Geno to fix.

renofox

Reaction score
The entire team played like crap. The offensive line got completely destroyed. The only players that did their job well was Dickson and Meyers.

But somehow it's all Geno's fault.

So Pete should sit down with Geno and make sure he improves his blocking, tackling, defending the run, etc. You know, basic fundamental things Seattle completely crapped the bed at across the board. Also Geno needs to be a better offensive coordinator. He needs to call plays that fit the actual things happening on the field instead of what they drew up in a vacuum. Geno should also solve world hunger. Too many starving kids in this world and that's on Geno to fix.
Once again, nobody is saying it's ALL on Geno. He may have been the suckiest in an absolute suckfest, but everybody else sucked too.

Geno sucks worse than almost all other QBs when his line sucks. PC has never built a quality O-line. The Dickerson Mirage held up quite well for a while, but it wasn't reality.

Geno will suck as long as his line sucks. His line will always suck, therefore Geno will always suck, over the long haul with the Seahawks.

PeruHawk

Reaction score
I realize stats do not tell the whole story, but here are a few.

Completion % 65.2 19th
Interceptions 7 Tied for 3rd most
Interception % 2.8 3rd Highest
Yards Lost on Sacks 149 8th most

Gino's mistakes have hurt more than most quarterbacks.

AND

Hurries 33 2nd most
Sacks 18 19th most

Blitzed 65 times 23rd most. -- Teams don't need to blitz as a 4 man rush is getting the job done.

Poor passes 34 21st most
Poor Pass % 0.134387352 12th most

Gino has endured the 2nd most hurries of any quarterback, while being one of the least blitzed quarterbacks, because the D's 4 man rush is getting the job done. That means there is one more man in coverage far more often than most other quarterbacks face.

I see all over this board "Gino holds the ball too long". Maybe its the long developing routes and the simple fact that nobody is open??

For a bit more information, here is the list of QB's with a higher Poor Pass % than Gino.

Matthew Stafford (LAR)
Derek Carr (NO)
C.J. Stroud (HOU)
Joshua Dobbs (MIN)
Jordan Love (GB)
Trevor Lawrence (JAC)
Kirk Cousins (MIN)
Justin Herbert (LAC)
Jared Goff (DET)
Mac Jones (NE)
Kenny Pickett (PIT)
Brock Purdy (SF)
Joe Burrow (CIN)
Bryce Young (CAR)
Zach Wilson (NYJ)
Sam Howell (WAS)
Josh Allen (BUF)
Lamar Jackson (BAL)
Baker Mayfield (TB)
Geno Smith (SEA)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just because they were dropped, that doesn't mean they didn't happen. This guy has more luck than just about any QB in the league when it comes to horrible throws that are magically dropped. Including some Pick 6's that should have cost them the game.

I'm not buying any excuses. His decision making is a joke. OFTEN. Cleveland had no business losing that game. Easy walk in Pick 6....dropped.

A dumb statistic to care about? We shouldn't care that our QB is throwing an alarming amount of Picks and/or picks that are dropped? Um, we should care a LOT. And so should Pete.
I wish I had people making excuses for me if I mess up at work. Geno plays like a**, and it somehow didn't happen. Geno throw a ball RIGHT TO THE DEFENDER who drops an easy pick 6.......but it somehow didn't happen. He has been consistently forcing passes in the end zone. Shocking that he doesn't have several picks in the red zone.

Last edited:

Latest posts