Keep blaming Geno

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I like your points but this is all I needed. Fully supported. NOTHING will change until these do... I don't see the mystery.
Pete and Clint I think will be fine. It's Shane Waldron I'm the most concerned about.

If Seattle just tackled better, and nothing else changed in the execution, that game is much different. That's on the players though.

renofox

Reaction score
They also seem to forget there's an offensive coordinator calling very very questionable plays given what's unfolding on the field. There were opportunities to punish Baltimore for their aggressive play and Seattle never did anything. Waldron was just dialing up slow developing plays over and over. Playing right into Baltimore's game plan.

It's like he had a blindfold on.
Or a "gameplan" developed jointly with PC that he had to stick with?

None of us know the inner workings. We can only judge based on visible indicators. Would it surprise me if PC had "influence and approval" control over offensive gameplanning and playsheets? Not in the least. It is one possible explanation we have seen for the consistent OC struggles under PC. But, who knows?

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Pete and Clint I think will be fine. It's Shane Waldron I'm the most concerned about.

If Seattle just tackled better, and nothing else changed in the execution, that game is much different. That's on the players though.
I get where you're coming from but I disagree. Pete sets the course and has for years. That's the problem.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Without any knowledge from the inside, I just place the blame on the guy with the title of offensive coordinator. Doing otherwise is just speculation.

bileever

Reaction score
Not saying he doesn't have his moments, but to call for his benching for Lock is just plain asinine. Even fans of other teams can see the obvious issues on this team and that is the OLine. I called for lineman in the draft , they picked skill players. And today you see why that was two dumb ass picks. Both very good players no doubt, but not what we needed. Our problems are:

Interior OLin
Interior DLine
Head coach
Both coordinators

Fix the OLine issues and Geno is a top 5 QB.
As others have stated here, the Seahawks have devoted a lot of resources to improving the offensive line. This off season, we signed Evan Brown, and drafted Olu Oluwatimi and Anthony Bradford. Last year, we drafted Charles Cross and Abe Lucas. So I think you're overreacting to yesterday's loss, which is understandable.

No one anticipated so many injuries on the O-line. Lucas, Cross, Haynes and Lewis have all missed a lot of time. That's four fifths of our starting line. Hopefully, we can get healthier on the O-line and make some progress with the offense.

But yes, I agree with you that Shane Waldron has to be better, and come up with a better game plan when we face adversity.

mistaowen

Reaction score
So seeing some post game review by people that get all 22 and PFF, couple things became apparent:

1) Waldron got annihilated by a very good DC. He had no plan to beat what the Ravens were doing and his gameplan was almost immediately sniffed out. Many, many routes were basically being run by their defensive backs. In so many downs, especially on third, there wasn't a soul running over the middle of the field. Coming from the Rams who crush defenses with two route crosser concepts, the ignoring of this area of the field is pitiful. Waldron has been alright but their efficiency metrics, especially on third, are awful. Geno is the 40th ranked QB on third and long. Partly due to him, partly due to the OL, partly due to Waldron. The whole unit needs to do some serious self evaluation quickly because this is a gauntlet of good teams coming up.

2) OL was atrocious. Pretty much everyone but Lewis lost their 1:1 most downs. They have to be better. It also goes back to point 1 though that Waldron did nothing to get some quick hitters unless it was 3rd and forever. More TE sets, more middle of the field, more dump offs to RBs when the line is struggling. Throughout the game Romo was also critical of Geno for not doing enough pre-snap to help adjust protections. Ravens do an amazing job of masking pressure, so it’s possible basically everyone just crapped their pants.

3) Geno was really bad and has been below average for about a month now. Many of his historical poor traits have showed up, probably due to him pressing, and is certainly a big factor for offensive disarray. Yesterday could have easily been a 4+ turnover effort from him, that is bad. Team only had 6 first downs, that is horrific, cardinals had 59 yards total and got more firsts. When he actually had time his passes were off, I recall a handful in garbage time throws that guys had to stop and go back instead of in motion. Listening to Pete today and yesterday, he’s basically saying other guys need to help put Geno in easy conditions, which is about as critical of a QB I can recall Pete-speak being. He also emphasized it’s not all on Geno and has unwavering support. I think that is accepting Geno is who he is, can be a really good QB when run game is cooking and OL is blocking well but off script will likely be frustrating. We’ve basically seen that play out since end of last year through yesterday.

4) Run game simply needs to be better. Yesterday on paper had smash mouth, ice baths for everyone written all over it but only one team came out violent. Ravens dominated in their run game and their run D, two things Pete emphasizes. Credit to the Ravens for kicking the Hawks asses. I’m hoping this was a gut check moment and the defense embarrasses the Commanders.

Last edited:

Wheetie

Reaction score
Or a "gameplan" developed jointly with PC that he had to stick with?

None of us know the inner workings. We can only judge based on visible indicators. Would it surprise me if PC had "influence and approval" control over offensive gameplanning and playsheets? Not in the least. It is one possible explanation we have seen for the consistent OC struggles under PC. But, who knows?
^^^This, all day...^^^ I believe the playcalling runs through Pete Carroll and always has. Every PC struggles under him and there's rarely any ongoing creativity or "modern" scheming.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Good take! Does anyone remember the TB vs KC Super Bowl? KCs line completly broke down and Mahomes was running for his life the whole game. Patrick Mahomes! He had a terrible game. That's what happens to the best of em with a bad O line
This is exactly why I've been saying that >SOME NOT ALL < of Geno's shortcomings are not of his own making, and as has been mentioned, Geno hasn't been at his best since that 'Hip Drop Tackle'.
Geno needs for his O-Line to heal up and do a better job of Run/Pass blocking.
It's a team sport, and at 31 years of age, Geno no longer has the wheels to cover for a sputtering & deficient O-Line.
Geno's trying too hard to make shit happen and it's biting him on the butt.
I know it sounds like I'm being a Geno apologist, I AIN'T, I just don't happen to agree with those here that are just talkin' shit about him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
^^^This, all day...^^^ I believe the playcalling runs through Pete Carroll and always has. Every PC struggles under him and there's rarely any ongoing creativity or "modern" scheming.
What all day? you BELIEVE that the play calling runs through Pete Carroll, and if that turns out to be a false belief, then what?
When some play calls made by Waldron or whoever don't work, Pete is supposed to do what, offer up no advise??
I'm seeing a few people in here ASSUMING that Pete THE HEAD COACH is a meddler, are there any HC's that DO NOT have input into how their team is structured to perform?, yeah, I don't think so either.
IF things are going well, I guarantee you that Pete will let those Coaches do their thing, but if they're struggling, he'd be a damned fool NOT to do his HC job, and offer up some experienced HC suggestions for improvements.

Wheetie

Reaction score
What all day? you BELIEVE that the play calling runs through Pete Carroll, and if that turns out to be a false belief, then what?
When some play calls made by Waldron or whoever don't work, Pete is supposed to do what, offer up no advise??
I'm seeing a few people in here ASSUMING that Pete THE HEAD COACH is a meddler, are there any HC's that DO NOT have input into how their team is structured to perform?, yeah, I don't think so either.
IF things are going well, I guarantee you that Pete will let those Coaches do their thing, but if they're struggling, he'd be a damned fool NOT to do his HC job, and offer up some experienced HC suggestions for improvements.
Yep, sure do believe it all day. I've watched the last few years of shit playcalling run through Bevell in his later years, Schotty, and now Waldron. Vanilla all day, no creativity all day, no adjustments all day...All 3 coordinators the same. What's the constant through all that? Pete Carroll. That's proof enough for me. What's your proof that I'm under a false belief?

12forlife

Reaction score
Not saying he doesn't have his moments, but to call for his benching for Lock is just plain asinine. Even fans of other teams can see the obvious issues on this team and that is the OLine. I called for lineman in the draft , they picked skill players. And today you see why that was two dumb ass picks. Both very good players no doubt, but not what we needed. Our problems are:

Interior OLin
Interior DLine
Head coach
Both coordinators

Fix the OLine issues and Geno is a top 5 QB.

Sorry but not even on his best day is he even close to a top 5 QB

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Absolutely. The O Line AND Geno needs to get a lot better. Dude could throw 4 picks and people would blame everyone BUT him.
Where's that F'n Dead Horse being beat on Pic that some of y'all like to put up here when we keep hearing
the FAKE "I Want Geno To Succeed" blather?
Please Mods, give us a Rolly Eyes emoji, as that would be fitting, + it wouldn't require anyone to have to post their consternations for these Dead Horse Beatings.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Geno plays the Commanders next week who have to travel cross country after playing on the road last week. They are probably the worst pass D in the league. He will play great and all will be well until we play competent teams again.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Yep, sure do believe it all day. I've watched the last few years of shit playcalling run through Bevell in his later years, Schotty, and now Waldron. Vanilla all day, no creativity all day, no adjustments all day...All 3 coordinators the same. What's the constant through all that? Pete Carroll. That's proof enough for me. What's your proof that I'm under a false belief?
My "Proof" is that NOT ONE of those guys have gone anywhere else an blew the doors off with their Play calls, eh?

Wheetie

Reaction score
My "Proof" is that NOT ONE of those guys have gone anywhere else an blew the doors off with their Play calls, eh?
Is this a joke Scutter? Bevell is the passing coordinator of the Dolphins, currently one of the most explosive passing games in the NFL. And under Schotty, Prescott in Dallas has over a 70% completion rate, over 2000 yards passing, and an over 100 qbr rating YTD. Over the past 2 games he's thrown for 374 yards, 3 TDs, with a 115 QBR against Philly, and 304 yards, 4 TDs, with a QBR of 134 against the Rams, with an 81% completion rate. Also, aren't you a Geno apologist? I'd think you'd want people to shit on the playcalling, it absolves Geno of some of the blame.

CPHawk

Reaction score
If you think Geno is good, you don’t want the Seahawks to win a sb.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Without any knowledge from the inside, I just place the blame on the guy with the title of offensive coordinator. Doing otherwise is just speculation.
I do know that Pete Carroll said that they would mostly be using his playbook when they hired Schottenheimer. It should be noted, that given Russell Wilson's limitations, it would make sense why he said that.

It is also true that we've seen a many of the same characteristics shared among our passing game across four different OC's and 4 different QB's.

I think it is at least fair to say that Carroll at least has certain parameters he wants these guys to adhere to. There also have been some differences between all of these coordinators.

I also think it's fair to say that Carroll at least likes having certain aspects of his offenses emphasized. For example, the deep and intermediate attack seems to be a HUGE point of emphasis for Carroll's teams. Even Matt Hasselbeck was trying to throw bombs when he was with Pete Carroll in 2010. That is a stark contrast from what he did under Holmgren.

More often than not we seem to have a keep it simple stupid approach to offense under Carroll. Our passing attacks, for the most part look so bland and dull compared to most NFL teams and have for years. We always seem to wander away from going with the uptempo, short passing game, even when it's working. This is also coincidentally where I think Geno really thrives.

I will also say that all of these OC's definitely had some differences, but the point of emphasis and look of the offenses looked on par with what we've seen from every other coordinator.

Carroll definitely does have some hand in our offense and how it operates. It's odd to me that a guy from the McVay tree has an offense that looks like this. It doesn't look anything like what they do in LA. There are some wrinkles here and there, but it looks like the same old offense.