Jody Allen- Paper Bag Time

James in PA

Reaction score
2025, same year Pete’s contract expires.
Thanks. I looked it up and saw something stating that May 2024 is the earliest they could sell. But because teams wanna have their head coach in place no later than the Super Bowl, there is no way we are moving on from Pete until after the 2024 season at the earliest.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Thanks. I looked it up and saw something stating that May 2024 is the earliest they could sell. But because teams wanna have their head coach in place no later than the Super Bowl, there is no way we are moving on from Pete until after the 2024 season at the earliest.
For those wondering….

“Hunke repeated to the WSJ Sunday Jody Allen’s words last summer about a timeline to a sale of the Seahawks and Blazers. Hunke told the WSJ 10 to 20 years is “a fair and accurate time frame” to fully resolve Paul Allen’s estate and sell the two sports franchises from it.”

renofox

Reaction score
Whether the team is sold soon or not depends on the tax law surrounding amortization of goodwill. Owners are able to take a tax deduction for almost the entire value of a franchise spread over a number of years. Whenever a team is sold, the goodwill resets for the new owner.

If the goodwill reset to the trust on PA's death, the trust now has a multi-billion deduction against again income taken equally over ~20 years. It would actually be a breach of fiduciary duty to sell the team too early if it's tax avoidance value is that substantial.

I'm too lazy to do the research but I worked as a CPA years ago and am pretty sure the tax law still allows the fair market value of goodwill to be added to the trusts tax books and amortized (deducted) over 20-30 years.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Whether the team is sold soon or not depends on the tax law surrounding amortization of goodwill. Owners are able to take a tax deduction for almost the entire value of a franchise spread over a number of years. Whenever a team is sold, the goodwill resets for the new owner.

If the goodwill reset to the trust on PA's death, the trust now has a multi-billion deduction against again income taken equally over ~20 years. It would actually be a breach of fiduciary duty to sell the team too early if it's tax avoidance value is that substantial.

I'm too lazy to do the research but I worked as a CPA years ago and am pretty sure the tax law still allows the fair market value of goodwill to be added to the trusts tax books and amortized (deducted) over 20-30 years.
See message just above for Jody’s apparent timeline

AubHawk71

Reaction score
More foolish than paying for a ticket and missing Thanksgiving dinner to watch last night's train wreck?
A $200 ticket, no less. I priced out the Hawks @ Rams game in Dinglewood, and tix started at $60.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If I'm Jody Allen, I'm telling Pete "If you don't win the Super Bowl this year, you're gone. If you do win the Super Bowl, we'll give you another year or two."

TAB420

Reaction score
Jody is not going to do anything big. She’s going to sell the team soon.
Is this true? I just read and article where Phil Knight keeps attempting to buy the Blazers. In that article she stated that neither franchise was for sale. Maybe she has changed her mind since then, one can only hope.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
I think it sends a message - the direct message - how can this team have so much talent and suck so bad? How do they get worse when they should be getting better?
It sends a message that the fans are disconnected from reality if you are brown bagging a team with a winning record. You'll look like fools, but go right ahead. It's your right to do as you wish.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
It sends a message that the fans are disconnected from reality if you are brown bagging a team with a winning record. You'll look like fools, but go right ahead. It's your right to do as you wish.
I suppose. I mean they have been playing real well this season. I guess we can wait two more weeks when we o longer have a wining record.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

In a couple games they won't have a winning record. Will it be ok then?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Is this true? I just read and article where Phil Knight keeps attempting to buy the Blazers. In that article she stated that neither franchise was for sale. Maybe she has changed her mind since then, one can only hope.
The Paul Allen estate says they are to be sold but I guess there’s no time frame…

cymatica

Reaction score
Thinking this team is going anywhere with this coaching staff is the greatest disconnect from reality

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Paper bags on the heads of fans is arguably more logical of a decision than your continued repping of Geno in your forum avatar and banner.
Whew, brutally hormonal scene today at .NET, isn't it? Can't be a fan of your own starting quarterback?

By all means, paper bag it up. It's a testament to the lack of self-awareness in the fanbase currently, who can't seem to separate their current anger from Browns-like shame.