Jody Allen - Conclusion

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think the secret is the relationship between her brother and herself, only Paul could have passed this on to her and with her so graciously. Now she's having fun. Now we have fun.

renofox

Reaction score
I know I certainly owe Jody an apology. I honestly didn't think she had the stomach to fire Pete, I thought she was content to just let Pete run things until she sold the team.
At least you weren't insulting her like many others were. From what I remember you were just questioning her motives which was perfectly reasonable. She had no track record so we all had to wait and see.

Too many times here, people were acting like her greatest achievement was being PAs sister and her competence level was asking "would you like fries with that?"

It really bummed me out that, even after I provided links to her CV that showed her extensive leadership and C-suite experience, people here just kept insulting her and running her down. I detected plenty of veiled misogyny, and I'm as anti-woke as they come.

I was never positive that she'd be an involved and effective leader of the Seahawks. I'm glad she's proven her mettle and that it appears people here are gaining faith in her abilities and starting to afford her the respect she deserves. Kudos to all.

renofox

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seattle-seahawks-no-sale-2025-jody-allen

She may not be selling in 2024 but she could be in 2025 or 2026, which is just around the corner. What I am concerned about is that she seems to be a pretty effective leader and we're going to lose that with no guarantees the next owner will be as good. Anyone like me who's been around long enough to live through the Ken Behring or Howard Schultz fiascos, knows what I'm talking about.
When asked about the sale of the Seahawks, she stated that it would take 10-20 years to wind down the Estate (liquidate assets and transfer proceeds to the Trust).

Although she didn't directly say the Seahawks would not be sold soon, that is executive-speak for "unless somebody offers me double the market value, it'll be 10-20 years before.the team is sold".

I think JA, JS, and MM will be around for quite a while.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
At least you weren't insulting her like many others were. From what I remember you were just questioning her motives which was perfectly reasonable. She had no track record so we all had to wait and see.

Too many times here, people were acting like her greatest achievement was being PAs sister and her competence level was asking "would you like fries with that?"

It really bummed me out that, even after I provided links to her CV that showed her extensive leadership and C-suite experience, people here just kept insulting her and running her down. I detected plenty of veiled misogyny, and I'm as anti-woke as they come.

I was never positive that she'd be an involved and effective leader of the Seahawks. I'm glad she's proven her mettle and that it appears people here are gaining faith in her abilities and starting to afford her the respect she deserves. Kudos to all.

Yeah that's pretty gross, you don't get personal. Especially with someone you don't even know.

But just hop on over to any of the Taylor Swift threads going on, and you'll see the misogyny in here is pretty prevalent. Powerful women threaten weak men.

Parallax

Reaction score
She was so silent for so long, none of us had a sense of who she was or what she was about. We're finally relieved she made a big move, and we're excited with the direction the team is going, but I still lack any sense that I know her. Though I am glad there's credible evidence she's alive.

I've been a fan of many teams over the years. As a fan, one is always powerless except for the power of the sneaker. To watch or not watch, to attend games or stay home. I believe the owner has the largest impact on the success of a franchise. Seattle was terrible for decades because we had terrible ownership. Paul Allen was a breath of fresh air. Since he died, we've been living in a vacuum. At least until now. I hope Jody gives us a hint of what she's thinking every now and again. I don't expect her to hold press conferences, though I'd be glad if she did.

The worst thing is to have an overly meddlesome owner. A Johnson or a Bidwill or an Irsay. Snyder was no picnic for fans of another Washington team. I grew up a Yankees fan. We had an owner who was the best and the worst, a guy who wanted to win more than anything and was willing to open his wallet, but was also way too meddlesome. Paul Allen was perfect, a steadying hand in the background with great judgment who didn't micromanage but stayed involved from year to year. Had he lived longer, I think we'd have moved on from Carroll sooner.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Conspiracy in my head alert: how could Portland fans be happy with her if her job is tto weaken, then sell or move them to Seattle? Muahaha.

There's my challenge to Ms. Allen. Bring the sonics back, doesnt matter how.

renofox

Reaction score
Much of the criticism of JA comes from "the way she mismanaged the Blazers" and the media hit pieces on the subject.

narrator: "She has never managed the Blazers".

my .net post on the subject

chris98251

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seattle-seahawks-no-sale-2025-jody-allen

She may not be selling in 2024 but she could be in 2025 or 2026, which is just around the corner. What I am concerned about is that she seems to be a pretty effective leader and we're going to lose that with no guarantees the next owner will be as good. Anyone like me who's been around long enough to live through the Ken Behring or Howard Schultz fiascos, knows what I'm talking about.
Been here from day 1 and submitted Seahawks as the name actually when they ran the contest. The State went looking for Paul, him or Steve and Bill were whom they thought would take care of the team and have the money to get Behring out of here.

You never know what your going to get, Bezos is chomping at the bit to own a team, he would seem like a Snyderesk type owner to me. I sure in the hell don't want the city of Seattle involved in any part of the deal for team or Stadium, the way they screwed us all over with the Sonics and the Key situation. If Howard wants the Seahawks Jody say absolutely not.

keasley45

Reaction score
The thing I loved about this was that it dropped right after Russ's press conference in Denver when he claimed he knew nothing of the trade until the FO called him.

It was also known for the 2 prior years that he was playing more in pursuit of his own MVP goals than for the team, so the 'welcoming new players and everyone being fully engaged ' was a not really veiled jab at him. I personally saw that and thought ' yeah, she's no bullshit'. While John was a bit more ambivalent in his answers to questions about Russ during our own post trade presser when when was asked about moving on and filling Me3s shoes, Pete was all crossed up in his feelings for Russ.

Jody hit him with the 'bye, bye.. and don't let the door hit you on the way out' , mic drop. Mad respect for her since then.

keasley45

Reaction score
When asked about the sale of the Seahawks, she stated that it would take 10-20 years to wind down the Estate (liquidate assets and transfer proceeds to the Trust).

Although she didn't directly say the Seahawks would not be sold soon, that is executive-speak for "unless somebody offers me double the market value, it'll be 10-20 years before.the team is sold".

I think JA, JS, and MM will be around for quite a while.
Exactly. The whole 'sale of the team' speculation is also a by-product of the Pete hate and assumption that she's either aloof, knows little or cares little about football and the franchise.

She flatly stated 10 to 20 years and folks still think a sale in the next 5 years is possible / probable.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
It occurred to me this morning that I think we know what we have in Jody Allen as an owner now. To be fair to all of us, we didn't know what we didn't know when Paul passed and she took his place, most of us assumed she was absentee and Pete Carrol was his own boss. But now, with significant and strategic decisions under her belt, I think we can all safely say that she's as involved and engaged as Paul was and quite similarly operates at an altitude to the team as he did. Looking back, here's a list of the important moments that took place since 2018 that must have involved her:
  • (2021) John Schneider signs contract extension through 2027. John was in talks with Detroit to be their new GM and the word was he was no longer happy with Pete's tie-breaking vote in personnel decisions. From what was in the news, the new contract came with some restructuring of the authority between him and Pete. She would have been involved in that process in some way and it was the right call.
  • (2022) Russell Wilson trade to Denver. From what was published in the media, 'ol Russ met with her and implied that John and Pete needed to go. Jody responded by giving John Schneider the green light to move on from Russ. As we can all confidently say now, that was the right call.
  • (2024) Pete Carrol fired. Pete will be inducted into the ROH someday, will have a street named after him and may even get a statue outside the stadium, but it was time to move on. Again, the right call.
I would also add her involvement in the last two drafts and the hiring of Mike Macdonald. While I don't think she was directly involved, it was certainly under her watch that John Schneider was given the latitude to do what he's good at and the trust to make incredibly important decisions for the betterment of the franchise. That's great leadership.

I think it's safe to say the Seattle Seahawks franchise is in good hands since the late, great Paul Allen passed away in 2018. I know I feel better about that and Jody deserves alot of the credit for what we can now look back on as a solid body of work.
I believe she had to give her approval of candidate to be hired to replace Pete. JMO but as implied in the OP Jody is far more involved than she has been given credit for by the chirpers.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I also think she enjoys the job
She is not selling anytime soon, she is making money hand over fist in increased value of both franchises yearly, better then anything in a Stock Market. When she does decide to liquidate everything to put into Pauls favored enterprises which are already funded it will be thru Vulcans Management. Last year she seen the value increase 11 percent with the Seahawks.
I think she views the Seahawks as a big part of big brother Paul's enduring legacy and feels a responsibility to Paul to be a great steward of that legacy.

Last edited:

strohmin

Reaction score
Well I gotta respect the fact that she didnt do anything rash during the season and actually took her time and handled everything behind closed doors like a true leader.

knownone

Reaction score
Concern over when the team would be sold is still valid. Jody didn't state the team wouldn't be sold for 10 to 20 years. She gave a timeline for winding down the estate, then said there was no pre-ordained timeline for selling the teams. You can read into that however you like, but that's not the equivalent of Jody saying the team won't be sold for 10 to 20 years. So, based on publically available information, uncertainty in the process does exist, so concern is valid.

I agree with the commentary surrounding Jody, though. Wilson's camp leaking reports that Pete ran everything and other nonsense about Jody being incapable of leading the franchise were/are stupid. Whether you agree or disagree with her decisions, she's more than qualified to run the organization.

OP
OP
Aircrew

Aircrew

Reaction score
Jody seems to have a good hot air detector, and do a good job of choosing which advisors to listen to. The QB advocating to the owner to fire the coach and put him in charge of the team's future? She and her advisors handled that one brilliantly.
Man, well said and I completely agree. That really was the moment when I started to notice that she wasn't just a figurehead and that she was involved and making smart decisions.

keasley45

Reaction score
Concern over when the team would be sold is still valid. Jody didn't state the team wouldn't be sold for 10 to 20 years. She gave a timeline for winding down the estate, then said there was no pre-ordained timeline for selling the teams. You can read into that however you like, but that's not the equivalent of Jody saying the team won't be sold for 10 to 20 years. So, based on publically available information, uncertainty in the process does exist, so concern is valid.

I agree with the commentary surrounding Jody, though. Wilson's camp leaking reports that Pete ran everything and other nonsense about Jody being incapable of leading the franchise were/are stupid. Whether you agree or disagree with her decisions, she's more than qualified to run the organization.
Of course. But by that metric, every team in the league could be sold at any time.

There was never a solid indication that she was at all interested in letting go of the Seahawks.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Of course. But by that metric, every team in the league could be sold at any time.

There was never a solid indication that she was at all interested in letting go of the Seahawks.
That’s basically been my take all along. She makes decisions based on patience and diligence. Certainly seems to me like someone not exactly looking to sell.