Jamal Adams gets 4 years, $70 million

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Brad/status/1427699907339640832[/tweet]

A-Dog

Reaction score
Generally the folks who don't like Adams and/or the trade were the ones saying he wouldn't sign for less than $20M and he wasn't worth that.

Folks who like Adams and were okay with the trade expected him to be the highest paid safety and get 17M-ish/year.

Hopefully now we can come together now that it's done, rather than continuing to push an agenda based on initial feelings about the trade.

For the record, I don't buy any of these myths:

1) Adams is poor in coverage. I believe him to be generally excellent in coverage. Better in man, less so in zone bc he tends to take gambles, but overall well above average. In terms of physical tools, he has no deficiencies. He's a student of the game, he works extremely hard, he's instinctive, and according to his head coach he's very coachable, wants to learn, and is doing everything they could hope for from a coach's perspective.

2) Safeties aren't valuable, particularly box safeties. I don't buy this either - the defensive captain and best player on the field in the Seahawks superbowl victory was a box safety. Also, the NFL is changing - versatile safeties and hybrid players are becoming more and more critical with the spread offense. The best safeties in the NFL (Tyrann Mathieu, Budda Baker, Derwin James) need to be able to make plays in the box and stand in as linebackers. Adams arguably is the most gifted and versatile player of his type ever.

3) Adams is a cancer on the team. Does he have a big ego? Is he outspoken and an attention whore? Can he be an asshole? Does he care a lot about what he's paid? Sure. None of those things necessarily detract from winning. Again, we won a Superbowl with a defense made up in large part by players just like this. He's hyper competitive, has grit, and is tough as nails. Those are the intangibles Pete and John look for.

AgentDib

Reaction score
massari":3obc313a said:
It gets even more interesting than that if you exclude players who live outside of Cleveland. If you do that then ALL of the players who are not DTs, not DE, and not 3-4 LBs that are making good money live in Cleveland.

Elemas

Reaction score
But…but…we should’ve traded him.

Glad he’s signed. Just like it was supposed to be.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":2ejp4udw said:
massari":2ejp4udw said:
It gets even more interesting than that if you exclude players who live outside of Cleveland. If you do that then ALL of the players who are not DTs, not DE, and not 3-4 LBs that are making good money live in Cleveland.

I don't follow Miami enough, but in the case of the Hawks the REASON Wagner and Adams are our highest paid defenders is because of how weak our D-line is, there's no one there worthy of paying elite DE or DT money to.

It's why it's been a band-aid line for a solid 4-5 years, and why we had to give up two first rounders and pay Adams crazy money to keep him.

So yeah, definitely unique to not have at least one of your highest paid defenders on the D-line, but in our case it's not surprising.

keasley45

Reaction score
Rat":1jqz9d76 said:
Excellent deal for him. Glad it worked out.

I dont see what Florio was wrong about. It was contract negotiations, which tend to be fluid and emotional. What appears to be true one day could be different the next. People acquiesce. People have changes of heart.

I dont think it was ever as emotional as it seemed. I think it was more the FO trying to make clear that their offer was their offer so that they could begin working toward getting Brown signed. Adam's side might have been looking to push things to week 1 in the hope they could eek out a few more $. Hawk's were just making it clear that that wasnt going to get them anything and moved on to Brown. No ill feelings. Just business. I'd bet a bag of donuts, err Dick's, that Brown is extended by this time next week and shakes off his rust in the last preseason game.

And KJ by the season opener.

All is well in Camelot.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Just looking for a little clarification here. This is a 4 year extension. If I read that right that means he’s under team control for 5 more years because he still has one year left on his rookie deal?

JGreen79

Reaction score
massari":1gz9tbfe said:

And arguably the two most important roles in Pete's defensive scheme. Even going back to 2013, Bobby and Kam were the foundation. FS IMO is the 3rd most important role.

Adams's job is slightly different than Kam's was, the concept is still the same. He's the one whose job is to intimidate the opposing offense. You always have to know where he is.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I'm glad it's done i just hope Adams can stay healthy .If it turns out the man can cover then he will be worth the money he got but we haven't seen that yet in Seattle. Regardless it's done now and Seattle is stuck with this so if there wrong and he can't stay on the field this is a ton of wasted money. Sorry if i'm not gushing with optimism with this team but after the last 5 years there going to have to prove to me they can win again in the playoffs because they haven't won the divisional round since 2014.

ivotuk

Reaction score
massari":ysp90c8s said:

Excluding teams that have other players on they're defense they are highly paid that aren't the same as these 2 teams...

"That's the fastest a QB has ever reached 4000 years in a season when holding their mouth like that!"

All of the qualifiers invalidate a statement. "This is the most important thing ever... Except for those other important things."

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2h4565uy said:
Just looking for a little clarification here. This is a 4 year extension. If I read that right that means he’s under team control for 5 more years because he still has one year left on his rookie deal?

Yes, the article says he's with Seattle through the '25 season.

xray

Reaction score
I hope he doesn't hurt himself patting himself on the back . I want him to back up last year's play and more . In the NFC West he will be accounted for by DC . He won't match last years stats . Still a good player but he will be throttled down in this division . IMO

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We had to do it. So we did.

You can say it was pricey but guys that tilt the field impact the wallet.

It is the reality of the NFL, and he is clearly worth it.

Now we need our LT, so fingers crossed that one signs next.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Well, there are a lot of positives to consider:

He didn't demand $20M/year like some people expected.

Nobody had to restructure in order for this to happen.

He didn't miss any games holding out.

He's under contract for the next five years.

His cap number comes down to $5M in 2021 and is only $9.1M in 2022 (significantly less than the franchise tag)

He will only be 29 years old going in to the final year of his contract. These are the prime years of his career.

He seems happy, content, valued, and accepted.

He is healthy and practicing.

He's had a year to adjust to the city, the system, the division, his role, the coaches, and his teammates.

The outside pass rush from the front five actually looks promising and the stated plan is to use him in a more balanced way this season.

Having fans in the stadium should only help him to wreak havoc on offenses trying to adjust to the different looks he can offer.

The defense is exceptionally deep at safety with Adams, Diggs, Amadi, Blair, and Neal. Lots of overlapping skillsets and lots things that can be done scheme-wise with this group.

I for one am really excited.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pmedic920":18ugxrtb said:
@Debbie downers and Chicken Littles

E3ac9ccc315d11ea2d3fe856938b5a28

A bag for each.
You do realize you are awarding these “hater clowns” with tasty food right?
I’m a fixture there, as one is a mile and a half from my house.
Best fries and shakes, and the burgers are only 2nd to In and Out when it comes to fast food burgers.

Latest posts