Schneider on Jamal Adams

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Dude C'mon , Schneider hasn't even had his first free agency period or draft without Petey Pete .

He's a poor evaluator of talent?
You act like JS just got hired. LO effing L. JS was just Pete‘s gopher and every bad decision was Pete’s? I reject that. As I reject that PC should get ALL the credit for the RW trade.

evergreen

Reaction score
it was just a reach for sure. the really concerning part is to over value positions. Mica Fitzpatrick, for Pittsburg and Roquan Smith for Baltimore were a first rounder and pay him. We doubled that on JA?! I get the Covid draft was way different. Still why not a D lineman????

RiverDog

Reaction score
I wonder if he had stayed healthy if they would have moved him from safety to LB'er and just flat out pass rush. His body couldn't handle that but if it had they may have done that.
Adams is too small for a linebacker, tipping the scales at 213 lbs.

If you were to go back to our 2021 season, you'd see how when Adams came up to the LOS in a passing situation, the opposing offense would switch a tight end or running back to his side to account for him in the event that he came on a blitz. Safety blitzes are effective if they're used as a surprise and catches the offense off guard. If the safety gets picked up, then all of a sudden, the secondary is a man short in their coverage. That's one of the major reasons why our pass defense sucked so badly that season.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
You act like JS just got hired. LO effing L. JS was just Pete‘s gopher and every bad decision was Pete’s? I reject that. As I reject that PC should get ALL the credit for the RW trade.
Fair enough.

I think Pete had the final say regarding personnel. Who knows? This is JS time and we'll find out if he knows what he's doing or if he's just a one eyed fat bitch.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
This quote right here further backs up my stance that Schneider is not a good GM.

Below average evaluator of talent, poor trade negotiator, below average with managing the cap. Now add refusal to accept responsibility and take blame to boot. Yikes.
I believe that you have found your edible threshold.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Ultimately, Pete didn't veto the trade, but it was still John at the "negotiation table" with the Jets GM.

On one hand, you don't want to be a hard-nosed negotiator that no one wants to work with, but on the other hand, John had all the leverage in this case. Adams was an unhappy camper who made it clear he wanted out of NY. John could have negotiated a better deal with the Jets GM.

The Russ deal sort of made up for this debacle, but then you have the Leo trade... so it's a mixed bag. Does John overpay Leo Williams like he did with Dre Jones? We shall see.
This is a fair take. Even though he had veto power, we can't place the entire blame of the Adams' trade on Pete. JS has dirty hands, too. Same with some of the other bad personnel moves of the past few years.

Pete's the one who took the blame for all these snafus, and rightfully so. But that doesn't mean that JS is as pure as the wind driven snow. That fact seems to have gotten lost in this whole situation involving Pete's firing.

Last edited:

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
I'd be pissed if they brought back Adams at any price. Cut bait with the guy, for Christ sakes!

The others, especially Dissly, I wouldn't mind seeing resigned at a lower salary.
Schneider is an absolute fool/tool if he can't see that the trade was bad from day 1, and he was grossly overpaid.
Hell, the NFL as a whole is de-valuing the safety position, which makes Adams' contract even more ridiculous.
Remember when teams were giving big contracts to veteran RBs on a regular basis? Eventually the NFL realized how stupid that is and mostly stopped doing it. To defend the contract they gave Adams is the same thing as trying to defend a huge contract for a veteran RB who is past his prime.

Jamal Adams isn't even worth the veteran minimum, and even though he would never accept the vet minimum to stay here it would hurt the Seahawks if he actually did.

If Schneider is so sick of "the narrative" then he should officially shut the door on Adams. If Schneider brought adams back I would support firing Schneider

BASF

Reaction score
few things....

1) It's March 8th and everything coming out of every FO revolves around the draft and FAcy. Would FAs and UDFAs and even draft picks feel better about the Seahawks if JS talked about how a recent cut was a bad apple or underperformed? ... or does it put the organization as a preferable destination if he says exactly what he said: "We both could have done some things differently, but it's unfair to blame a great player."...???

2)JA has friends around the league. He's a vet and players listen to him. ... maybe not as many as previously, but they do. It makes sense to keep the peace. For the success of the team (especially during this part of the off-season), it's more important to avoid bad blood with current and former and future players than it is to do so with fans.

3)Knowing the recent history of this organization and JS, can you even imagine him throwing JA under the bus? He can't condemn the trade without condemning the player and he's not going to condemn the player.

4)There's an entirely new Coaching staff and scheme. There's already enough questions in the air. Pointing out mistakes of the past is not going to help with success going forward. Leave it unsaid for now or everyone will start pointing fingers about everything. That can't be the mentality going into next season. JS knows it: keep it positive and confident. "We know what we're doing."

So... the trade is ancient history. JA is probably done with the Seahawks. What can JS say and/do today to help the Seahawks going forward? He should promote the organization. He should present the team in a way that attracts great talent. Someday the details of the trade and JA as a player can be discussed in detail. However, the day after he's cut, while he has FA buddies in the league, going into draft and UDFAcy... not the right time. JS did and said exactly what he should have.

...of course we're fans so we're supposed to complain so this thread is also doing exactly what you'd expect too...
This poster actually gets it. Bravo.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Accountability??? Why is there a pathological need to play the blame card?

Does anyone think that JS expected the wheels to fall off with Adams after he had set an all time league record for sacks by a DB and made the Pro Bowl for the 3rd time.

Adams is for sure not the first player that had his career materially changed b/c of injuries, and he was special when healthy.

The wheels did come off though. He was brought in as a band aid for an atrocious pass rush. Yeah he got his sacks and by doing so, the Seahawks were historically bad at stopping the pass. The defense didn't get somewhat sorted because of Adams, it only got better when Dunlap was brought in mid season. A legit pass rusher and a move that should have been addressed from the beginning.

So yeah, give Adams his accolades for his sacks and pro bowl, but don't kid yourself into thinking he made the defense any better. The defense was giving up 400 to 500 yards a game while Adams was accumulating those personal stats. Lets just call it like it is, an overpaid gamble that didn't work.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Jody knows whether it was PC or JS that made the decisions. PC is gone.

So, yeah. Not that hard to figure.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The wheels did come off though. He was brought in as a band aid for an atrocious pass rush. Yeah he got his sacks and by doing so, the Seahawks were historically bad at stopping the pass. The defense didn't get somewhat sorted because of Adams, it only got better when Dunlap was brought in mid season. A legit pass rusher and a move that should have been addressed from the beginning.

So yeah, give Adams his accolades for his sacks and pro bowl, but don't kid yourself into thinking he made the defense any better. The defense was giving up 400 to 500 yards a game while Adams was accumulating those personal stats. Lets just call it like it is, an overpaid gamble that didn't work.
My point exactly. When Adams was first brought in, our pass rush was on pace to be the worst in the history of the league since they started keeping stats on it. Adams thrived in a vacuum.

And overall, our defense wasn't better with him in the lineup and arguably worse. In 2020, the year he set a record for a safety by racking up 9.5 sacks, and in 2021 when he was healthy for most of the year, our pass defense was 2nd to last in the league in both seasons. In 2022, the year he was out for all but one game, our pass defense actually improved, ranked 14th.

Coincidence? Maybe. But there is no evidence out there that supports the assertation that Jamal Adams makes our defense better. None whatsoever.

jammerhawk

Reaction score

How can we really know about Adams b/c by the end of his first year here he started getting hurt? The laundry list of injuries was long and devastating for a player that played a very physical style. Saying he didn’t help the D the first year is historical reinvention to me.

Undoubtedly after that though he was both a liability in coverage and a huge cap anchor. It was another BIG trade that was a huge mistake. I always believed he was not used properly though as our respective DC’s were both incompetents. It’s true the team did not get what they hoped to and overpaid for an inability to stay on the field.

With luck those foolish big trades will stop or JS will be gone.

xray

Reaction score
It's all water under the bridge at this point . We all know now , that PC was in charge and JS was the " GM lite ". We also know now , that PC actually hired JS with Allen's blessing . As far as I know , in the NFL , JS was the only GM ever hired by the HC ; but why ? Did PC know that JS would be a yes man and could be controlled ?
Many are really excited about JS hiring MacDonald as the HC . Hopefully this is home run for JS and the Hawks ; but we really don't know that for sure , do we ? MacDonald might have the best defensive mind in the NFL ; but he might suck as a HC . HCs , like players don't always work out well . That's reality .
Free agency and then the draft are next and just around the corner for JS . I'll bet he's more nervous then we are . imo

morgulon1

Reaction score
Schneider is an absolute fool/tool if he can't see that the trade was bad from day 1, and he was grossly overpaid.
Hell, the NFL as a whole is de-valuing the safety position, which makes Adams' contract even more ridiculous.
Remember when teams were giving big contracts to veteran RBs on a regular basis? Eventually the NFL realized how stupid that is and mostly stopped doing it. To defend the contract they gave Adams is the same thing as trying to defend a huge contract for a veteran RB who is past his prime.

Jamal Adams isn't even worth the veteran minimum, and even though he would never accept the vet minimum to stay here it would hurt the Seahawks if he actually did.

If Schneider is so sick of "the narrative" then he should officially shut the door on Adams. If Schneider brought adams back I would support firing Schneider
I think JS was referring to the other 2 cuts. I could see Dissly coming back at a proper cap hit. 8 mil or whatever it was is just crazy.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
How can we really know about Adams b/c by the end of his first year here he started getting hurt? The laundry list of injuries was long and devastating for a player that played a very physical style. Saying he didn’t help the D the first year is historical reinvention to me.

We have one season to base our opinions off of a healthy Adams. I ask you, how was the defense improved? Those QB's he was sacking were still having field days against a depleted secondary due to Adams being in the box and even when he was wasn't, his coverage skills were still average at best. It wasn't until the acquisition of Dunlap mid-season that the defense started doing anything. Again I ask you, how did Adam's solely make the defense better. Before Dunlap, they were absolutely atrocious and on their way to breaking records. Not the good kind of records either.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We have one season to base our opinions off of a healthy Adams. I ask you, how was the defense improved? Those QB's he was sacking were still having field days against a depleted secondary due to Adams being in the box and even when he was wasn't, his coverage skills were still average at best. It wasn't until the acquisition of Dunlap mid-season that the defense started doing anything. Again I ask you, how did Adam's solely make the defense better. Before Dunlap, they were absolutely atrocious and on their way to breaking records. Not the good kind of records either.
In addition to that, Adams got home on very few of his blitzes and his coverage was still spotty. Even in his first year here he wasn’t great.

The Adams fit was a mismatch for Carroll’s system.

RiverDog

Reaction score
In addition to that, Adams got home on very few of his blitzes and his coverage was still spotty. Even in his first year here he wasn’t great.

The Adams fit was a mismatch for Carroll’s system.
Adams didn't get home on any blitzes. He hasn't recorded a QB sack since December of 2020.

A mismatch for Carroll's system is exactly right. Two years after the trade, Pete admitted that they hadn't figured out how to use him. Yet they still signed him to a market setting contract.