Schneider on Jamal Adams

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
It is a little concerning that he’s deflecting blame for this one.

Hopefully he’s looking at his mistakes and adjusting for the future. He has a tendency to go all in a little too often and then double down by signing the player to a huge contract.

I’ll be interested to see if he adjusts his approach now that the PC insulation and the Super Bowl years are gone.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Accountability??? Why is there a pathological need to play the blame card?

Does anyone think that JS expected the wheels to fall off with Adams after he had set an all time league record for sacks by a DB and made the Pro Bowl for the 3rd time.

Adams is for sure not the first player that had his career materially changed b/c of injuries, and he was special when healthy.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Accountability??? Why is there a pathological need to play the blame card?

Does anyone think that JS expected the wheels to fall off with Adams after he had set an all time league record for sacks by a DB and made the Pro Bowl for the 3rd time.

Adams is for sure not the first player that had his career materially changed b/c of injuries, and he was special when healthy.
His response is incredibly immature and his reaction to become defensive is apparent that he knows he screwed up, but he doesn't have the stones to announce it.

And no matter how you slice it, especially his poor reasoning behind it, 2 first rounders for a safety is ridiculous. He got fleeced in that trade, plain and simple.

Yet instead of acknowledging it, he wants to act offended for people questioning it. Speaks volumes of his poor character as a leader. This franchise is not in good hands with him at the reins.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
I don't think JS has anything to apologize for. His former boss (a former safety) overvalued the position and paid a premium. We actually set the market for safeties, so everyone else had to overpay too.

...a condition that seems to be correcting now:

JPatera76

Reaction score
Carroll was the one at top and it was his schemes that he tried fitting these players into. Schneider is not the one that made the final decisions in Seattle, Carroll had complete control of every facet of the situation. Schneider certainly has some culpability here, but at the end of the day, he wasn't the one making the final call.
People seem to forget there for a while until the last two two years? Pete was Jon’s boss.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I thought Adams looked good in year 1 before the injury. After that injuries I think caught up to him and he couldn't stay healthy. Felt like last year he was trying to over compensate due to injuries. Given the salary and draft picks it wasn't a good trade. If it was year 1 form troughout it may have been good but still pricy.

morgulon1

Reaction score
This quote right here further backs up my stance that Schneider is not a good GM.

Below average evaluator of talent, poor trade negotiator, below average with managing the cap. Now add refusal to accept responsibility and take blame to boot. Yikes.
Dude C'mon , Schneider hasn't even had his first free agency period or draft without Petey Pete .

He's a poor evaluator of talent?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I thought Adams looked good in year 1 before the injury. After that injuries I think caught up to him and he couldn't stay healthy. Felt like last year he was trying to over compensate due to injuries. Given the salary and draft picks it wasn't a good trade. If it was year 1 form troughout it may have been good but still pricy.
Even in 2021 prior to his injuries, the shine began to come off the Adams penny. Offenses had gotten wise and anytime he threatened to blitz, they'd account for him, and as a result, his sack total went from 9.5 in 2020 to zilch in 2021. Then his liability in pass coverage became painfully apparent as our pass defense sank to 2nd worst in the league. It seemed that he was constantly out of position, took bad angles, had interceptions bounce off is face mask.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Even in 2021 prior to his injuries, the shine began to come off the Adams penny. Offenses had gotten wise and anytime he threatened to blitz, they'd account for him, and as a result, his sack total went from 9.5 in 2020 to zilch in 2021. Then his liability in pass coverage became painfully apparent as our pass defense sank to 2nd worst in the league. It seemed that he was constantly out of position, took bad angles, had interceptions bounce off is face mask.
I wonder if he had stayed healthy if they would have moved him from safety to LB'er and just flat out pass rush. His body couldn't handle that but if it had they may have done that.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Dude C'mon , Schneider hasn't even had his first free agency period or draft without Petey Pete .

He's a poor evaluator of talent?
No, I said below average evaluator of talent.

Our current roster construction points to him, I'm not understanding how and why people are so quick to give him a pass for the past few years and say that these moves were Pete. The narrative in the past was it was John making these choices, now it was Pete? Which is it?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Schneider is not the one that made the final decisions in Seattle, Carroll had complete control of every facet of the situation. Schneider certainly has some culpability here, but at the end of the day, he wasn't the one making the final call.
Ultimately, Pete didn't veto the trade, but it was still John at the "negotiation table" with the Jets GM.

On one hand, you don't want to be a hard-nosed negotiator that no one wants to work with, but on the other hand, John had all the leverage in this case. Adams was an unhappy camper who made it clear he wanted out of NY. John could have negotiated a better deal with the Jets GM.

The Russ deal sort of made up for this debacle, but then you have the Leo trade... so it's a mixed bag. Does John overpay Leo Williams like he did with Dre Jones? We shall see.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think calling the trade bad is fair. I mean, it was two first rounders for a safety and, shockingly, one of them ended up being what would've been our highest draft pick in 12 calendar years at the time. Sure, we did end up getting a top-10 in that draft anyway, but that's... hella capital.

I think one of the unfair parts is how Jamal's actual play, aside from injury, has been immediately written off as abysmal without further investigation by most parties. Reason being is that you really can't defend Jamal and never could after year 1 of his tenure here if you were in media or anything, because people would take it as also defending the process behind the trade and it'd be bad for your career.

Guys like Matty and Griff tell it like it largely was, and that's that he was pretty good on the field outside of when he was either out with injury or obviously playing injured. He had some silly moments because of his stone hands, but overall, he was one of the most explosive safeties in the league in the box and he COULD execute his coverage assignments decently well, just like he did in New York. They get hate for this because people view it as a defense of Adams conduct off the field and the trade, but it's just a mildly nuanced take that points out the good within the overall bad trade.

I think John is right to point out, however, that Jamal wasn't a bad player and was a tremendous talent. He did have truly incredible potential here to do it all. He just didn't hold up. He had injuries that are fairly extreme in nature, and I think the injuries were largely conflated with him just being outright bad.

I think it's also good of John to point out their rationale for making the trade. I think it's good that he's clarifying their position, the logic behind it, and I mean, I do think there was some defense for it given the context at the time of them knowing this was about to be it with Russell. They got really close to the NFCCG the previous year with a banged up roster and just needed something to bring that team to the next level. It was a misstep, but you know, I can really see what they were thinking with the upside.

At least this wasn't Percy Harvin. We did get some pretty good sustained play out of Jamal here and there at a minimum. But bottom line, while I do believe parts of the logic behind the trade were defensible at the time with Jamal being a legit coveted all-pro talent and us being a few pieces away from true championship contention the precious year, it is undeniably risky to give up two firsts and more for ANY player, and they got bit bad. Could've done quite a bit more with that capital. Gotten a Leonard Williams and more.
I love Griff but I think I disagree with him on Adams. Even at best I don't think he was worth what Seattle gave up even factoring in the covid issue and the draft as it was. I think Adams was a little better than people thought but nowhere near All-Pro which is what was expected after giving up two firsts for him. His big sack totals were cool but just opened up issues elsewhere. Again I respect Griff a ton but disagree with him on this one.

I also can see John's point and the thinking behind it while still thinking it was a bad trade for a few reasons. But like you I like that he atleast shared the reasoning behind it. I will still take a GM who swings for the fences over someone who is ultra conservative.

ANyway long winded way of saying I agree with most of what is written here lol

Jerhawk

Reaction score
What's he supposed to say? I suck and I make a crap trade?

He damn well knows he did.
Yes. I would've rather he said something like "I've learned a lot from this situation. It didn't work out the way we had hoped. We wish Prez the best and respect to Jerhawk, the GOAT."

Instead he shifted blame and acted like a baby

morgulon1

Reaction score
No, I said below average evaluator of talent.

Our current roster construction points to him, I'm not understanding how and why people are so quick to give him a pass for the past few years and say that these moves were Pete. The narrative in the past was it was John making these choices, now it was Pete? Which is it?
Poor , below average . My mistake so please accept my apology.

I was always under the assumption that Pete made the final decisions regarding personnel. The narrative was that JS was able to make the draft decisions as of the last 2 drafts when PC was put on notice.

I could be completely incorrect. We'll see what Mr Schneider does this year. I'm giving him my support and wait to see what he can do. I hope he can change your mind .

Our favorite team's success depends on it.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Poor , below average . My mistake so please accept my apology.

I was always under the assumption that Pete made the final decisions regarding personnel. The narrative was that JS was able to make the draft decisions as of the last 2 drafts when PC was put on notice.

I could be completely incorrect. We'll see what Mr Schneider does this year. I'm giving him my support and wait to see what he can do. I hope he can change your mind .

Our favorite team's success depends on it.
I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

As far as the scale and difference between below average and poor, it may not seem like a lot on paper, but it's sort of the difference between Limp Bizkit and Smash Mouth.

Take that nugget as you will. Jerhawk out

chrispy

Reaction score
few things....

1) It's March 8th and everything coming out of every FO revolves around the draft and FAcy. Would FAs and UDFAs and even draft picks feel better about the Seahawks if JS talked about how a recent cut was a bad apple or underperformed? ... or does it put the organization as a preferable destination if he says exactly what he said: "We both could have done some things differently, but it's unfair to blame a great player."...???

2)JA has friends around the league. He's a vet and players listen to him. ... maybe not as many as previously, but they do. It makes sense to keep the peace. For the success of the team (especially during this part of the off-season), it's more important to avoid bad blood with current and former and future players than it is to do so with fans.

3)Knowing the recent history of this organization and JS, can you even imagine him throwing JA under the bus? He can't condemn the trade without condemning the player and he's not going to condemn the player.

4)There's an entirely new Coaching staff and scheme. There's already enough questions in the air. Pointing out mistakes of the past is not going to help with success going forward. Leave it unsaid for now or everyone will start pointing fingers about everything. That can't be the mentality going into next season. JS knows it: keep it positive and confident. "We know what we're doing."

So... the trade is ancient history. JA is probably done with the Seahawks. What can JS say and/do today to help the Seahawks going forward? He should promote the organization. He should present the team in a way that attracts great talent. Someday the details of the trade and JA as a player can be discussed in detail. However, the day after he's cut, while he has FA buddies in the league, going into draft and UDFAcy... not the right time. JS did and said exactly what he should have.

...of course we're fans so we're supposed to complain so this thread is also doing exactly what you'd expect too...