If we win out we can still grab the 7 seed with ease

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The finish to the season is going to be wild. I see a lot of division games remaining among the teams battling for wildcard. The Vikings still have the Rams and Packers remaining, Eagles have the Cowboys and WFT twice, WFT - Cowboys, Eagles X2, and Giants, Saints have Bucs, Panthers, Falcons, and Dolphins (on paper the easiest schedule among the remaining teams battling for WC). And Falcons have 49ers and Bills as potential losses.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ly-front-runners-49ers-vikings-eagles-in-mix/

LTH

Reaction score
hawkfan68":28ch576n said:
The finish to the season is going to be wild. I see a lot of division games remaining among the teams battling for wildcard. The Vikings still have the Rams and Packers remaining, Eagles have the Cowboys and WFT twice, WFT - Cowboys, Eagles X2, and Giants, Saints have Bucs, Panthers, Falcons, and Dolphins (on paper the easiest schedule among the remaining teams battling for WC). And Falcons have 49ers and Bills as potential losses.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ly-front-runners-49ers-vikings-eagles-in-mix/

It could very easily go the Hawks way that 3% they are saying is a LOW... The parity in this league is amazing look how close most divisions are...

If this calculator is right which I don't know that it is.... there is a scenario I did that the whole NFC west makes the play offs...

LTH

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Get a big win on Sunday, that's all that matters. If they do, and they ARE very capable, then we might be in business.
Still think they come up short, but my mind is on Sunday.
Many people have likely already decided the Hawks have no shot against the Rams. Not me. Defense is playing better, #5 in points allowed. And Russ is getting a lot closer to 100 percent. If it's a one score game in the 4th quarter, I like our chances. Because if you trust Stafford over Russ in the 4th quarter or OT, you haven't actually watch their careers.

nutluck

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1satz6p6 said:
Get a big win on Sunday, that's all that matters. If they do, and they ARE very capable, then we might be in business.
Still think they come up short, but my mind is on Sunday.
Many people have likely already decided the Hawks have no shot against the Rams. Not me. Defense is playing better, #5 in points allowed. And Russ is getting a lot closer to 100 percent. If it's a one score game in the 4th quarter, I like our chances. Because if you trust Stafford over Russ in the 4th quarter or OT, you haven't actually watch their careers.

You might want to rethink that statement. Or at least fact check first before posting.

Stafford is tied for 6th most 4th quarter comebacks in NFL history. Russel Willson is tied for 18th. To be fair Stafford has played more years, 13 years with 33 4th quarter comebacks. Wilson has played 10 years with 24 4th quarter comebacks. So if you break it down by comebacks average per year it comes out to be.
Stafford averages 2.54 per year rounded.
Wilson averages 2.4 per year.

Very close to the same but actually Stafford is more reliable in the 4th quarter over his career slightly.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wilson and he is great at it. But I am a believer in backing up statements with facts not feelings. Not a attack just wanting to share actual facts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Get back to me when Stafford wins an actual BIG game in the playoffs. This isn't just me making crap up, he's known league wide as a guy who can't win the big game.
Stafford is more reliable in the forth quarter? Just when I thought I heard it all. Now Matt fricken Stafford is more reliable in the 4th quarter than Russ. I give up.........
this place :34853_doh:

nutluck

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1gtjybax said:
Get back to me when Stafford wins an actual BIG game in the playoffs. This isn't just me making crap up, he's known league wide as a guy who can't win the big game.
Stafford is more reliable in the forth quarter? Just when I thought I heard it all. Now Matt fricken Stafford is more reliable in the 4th quarter than Russ. I give up.........
You can believe what you want, but facts are facts. Stafford has lead his team from behind to win in the 4th quarter slightly more than Wilson in total numbers or average by year, both are two of the best in the history of the NFL at 4QC.

I never said he was a better overall QB. I only said over his career he has been more reliable at comebacks, which is what you want IMHO. Since if you are winning in the 4th you turn to the run game to eat up the clock and ask the QB to make easier throws to move the chains.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The fact that you actually believe that Stafford is as clutch as Russ has been, just not really even worth a discussion.
Doesn't matter, like I said before, time for me to retire from Russ talk.

Have a great holiday :irishdrinkers:

gobosgumbo518

Reaction score
So we need a 3 way tie for the last spot. That way it won’t come down to head to head matchup tie breaker. I believe it then comes down to conference record… not that our will be very good. Is this correct?

Elemas

Reaction score
We’re winning out. I don’t see us getting in but, we are winning out.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
Cool. Seattle can get the 7th Seed and get thoroughly trounced by a team that'll want it more in the playoffs.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1bi07yqj said:
Just curious, when was the last time that Russell Wilson won a big game in the playoffs? The answer is 2014 when the Seahawks had what was considered one of the best modern rosters in the 2010s. Since then the Seahawks are well below .500. That argument holds no water, it's like the 49ers back in the day (2000s) coming on here and saying "well, how many Super Bowl rings have you won?" after they've been irrelevant for many years.

The reality is, the Seahawks are well below .500 since 2015 in the playoffs. It's been years since Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll have had a signature victory in the playoffs. That is unless you consider beating on backup QB's and injured QB's quality wins. Our victories have come against Teddy Bridgewater, a game that we should have lost, but our old friend Walsh saved us. An injured Matt Stafford, he was playing with a broken throwing hand, a sprained ankle, and a screwed up shoulder. Last but not least a 40 year old Luke McCown. Do any of these seem like BIG wins to you? I certainly don't see any.

Also consider the franchise that Stafford is coming from. He's been on the dysfunctional Lions his whole career. The Seahawks have had much more stability and overall have fielded some much better teams. Put Wilson on those Lions teams and I'm sure you see a similar result.

What I'm trying to say is you're not giving Stafford enough credit. He's been very good in the 4th quarter over his career. I'm not saying he's better than WiLson, what I am saying though is that Stafford is no slouch in the 4th quarter and he deserves some credit there.

OP
OP
H

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
cymatica":9kcw8j6z said:
ArlosSpecial":9kcw8j6z said:
cymatica":9kcw8j6z said:
I don't understand the 65% chance. Did you just pull it out of thin air or use statistics factoring in the other teams that own tiebreakers? 65% would imply they have a better than average chance, yet they are depending on several other teams tanking the last few games
Yeah it's basically a rough estimate. The 49ers will likely go 2-2 or 1-3 and Seattle I have a feeling is hitting their stride late. It might prove to be too little too late but we would beat them in a 7 seed tie breaker and if Minnesota-Seattle and SF are all 9-8 how does the tie breaker work? Does it go to conference record after H2H?

Vikings, WFT, and Saints all own the tiebreakers and 2 of those teams would have to lose 2 games while Seattle wins out, and 49ers also need 2 losses. I'm not sure about Falcons and Eagles but they both have 1 less loss, assuming we win those tiebreakers they both need a loss.

Basically, the odds of making the playoffs if Seattle wins out is nowhere near 65%. I'm not a statistician, but 10 to 20% would sound more reasonable.
They are relying heavily on several playoff hungry teams, 3 of which already beat them, to choke their seasons away.
Yeah but that can change in a single week. Pay attention to the matchups. Doesn't look promising now but it may change in our favor and I have a pretty good feeling it will.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Never said Stafford isn't good. But he's more of a pad stat QB than clutch.
This isn't something I'm just making up because he's on the Rams. MANY have said the same thing.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":21gdmbnz said:
Never said Stafford isn't good. But he's more of a pad stat QB than clutch.
This isn't something I'm just making up because he's on the Rams. MANY have said the same thing.
You're still not explaining all of his 4th quarter comebacks. He still is one of the all time greats here if we go by the sheer number of victories he's pulled off in the 4th quarter. Can you explain that? He has even more than Wilson, there is something he must be doing right at the end of games. That to me says he's more than just a "stat padding" Quarterback.

Second thing we need to remember about Stafford on the Rams is that he has been playing injured since the first Seahawks game. Since then the injuries have mounted, he's dealing with issues in his back and throwing arm. He had a rough stretch just like Wilson did in November due to injuries. When he wasn't injured he was playing very good football. In fact, he still could pull off an MVP this season.

I've watched a fair bit of Matthew Stafford on the Lions and Rams, you're not giving the guy enough credit. Does he have some issues as a passer? Yes he does. He's a bit like Hasselbeck in that he'll have some really spazzy moments. We saw this in our first game. There has times that he just really derps out. Then on the other hand he'll have times where he'll look impossible to stop. He'll stand tall in the pocket when pressure is facing him and make crazy throws. He's a bit of a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde type of player, but oh man can he be very scary as a passer when he's on.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
The schedule for the teams we are fighting for the 7th seed isn't a cake walk. We could easily pass them but yes...we have to win out for sure

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I literally never said he wasn't a good QB. He's damn good. That's the key, WHEN HE'S ON. Geezus man, people back opposing players more than their own QB. Excuses for Stafford's injuries, blasting Russ and saying he's washed and should be traded when he struggles right after surgery. Seems legit. Again, I'm done talking about the Russ stuff. You have your opinion, I have mine. If you think Matt Stafford is more clutch than Russ, have at it.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":pk2hcrk3 said:
I literally never said he wasn't a good QB. He's damn good. That's the key, WHEN HE'S ON. Geezus man, people back opposing players more than their own QB. Excuses for Stafford's injuries, blasting Russ and saying he's washed and should be traded when he struggles right after surgery. Seems legit. Again, I'm done talking about the Russ stuff. You have your opinion, I have mine. If you think Matt Stafford is more clutch than Russ, have at it.
I never said Stafford was more clutch, all I said is that you're not giving the guy enough credit. Nobody here said that Matt Stafford is more clutch than Wilson, get that out of your head. Not everything said about Stafford is an affront to Russell Wilson. Me and several other posters simply responded to comments you made about Matt Stafford and his ability to win when games are on the line, and him being just a "stat padding QB". Look deeper into things and you'll see that he is actually quite good when the game is on the line, in fact both him and Wilson have been among the best in those high pressure situations over their careers.

This is why the Rams felt compelled to go out and grab Matt Stafford. Jared Goff couldn't get things done in high pressure situations, he just folded like a lawn chair in crucial moments.

Also, Wilson's trading rhetoric largely came from directly from himself. Remember his campaign last offseason? Before you say it was media hype, remember, a lot of that speculation came directly from his agent and Russ himself. Remember, Russ holds a no trade clause. If he's gone, he's gone because he wants to be out. Doesn't matter what Pete Carroll or John Schneider want to do, the ball is completely in Wilson's court.

My personal view on Russell Wilson was that he had no business playing with that injury and that he needed to be benched for longer so he could recover, I wasn't wrong on that accord either. He was hardly a functioning QB when he first came back.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If he had a coach with some actual ability to do the right thing, he would have kept him on the bench until he healed.
Most QB's who want to win like Russ are going to say they are fine. This isn't something new.
Again, Stafford is a damn good QB. Until I see him actually clutch up in the playoffs, I still have my opinion on him. It IS ok to think a guy is good but a tad overrated.

Latest posts