Ruminations on the Panthers Game

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Can any of you stats guys figure what CJP has been paid per net yard gained?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Had a commitment in the morning yesterday and didn't see the game until late in the afternoon, liked being able to fast forward through the endless commercials for the same ol' stuff. 7-1 on the road looks pretty darn impressive for the season.

Frankly knowing the final score I wasn't really concerned and thought throughout the team had the game under control, although they sure looked soft at times in the 2nd half. To me it was a convincing W although unnecessarily sloppy in the 2nd half. Often have thought the team will not go deep in the playoffs if they let other teams score against them as easily as Carolina did in the 2nd half and as we have seen the soft zone yield up. If that is the team's real personna then things truly need to change or a team like Dallas will boot them out of the playoffs easily. I am beginning to wonder if the DC even knows how to play with a big lead? I am hoping we see a change up defensively for the playoffs. The present vulnerability to jet sweeps and RB screens needs to be fixed. Perhaps with Kendricks returned there will be some improvement as SF has to have noticed this weakness.

Random thought: Anyone else concerned with the number of times the play clock clicks down to zero before the play starts?what's up with this? Is RW having trouble getting the called play? Are they calling audibles to change out of the play called? they almost got called a few times yesterday for delay of game and were caught once.

Missing 6 starters on D didn't look as terrible as you'd have thought it would, but with Diggs out the DB play dropped off sharply. There are a lot of players on the team who are good solid depth while some of the supposed better players are not playing to their ability. At this stage I want Clowney, Diggs, 'Quill, Kendricks, and Ansah all healthy for the rubber match against SF.

The team actually got a W yesterday and in term of style points looked good early and less so at the end, save for their last long possession. Was highly impressed with Carson, the LBs in pass D, Flowers and King, thought Barton played a good game too. That catch by Gordon was simply spectacular, wow. Am suspicious Pete is sandbagging some and that we can expect to see more from Gordon, and hopefully the D against SF.

We are all somewhat jaded by the continued success of the team and even when the team wins an early day road game want more. The team is presently the #1 seed in the NFC, with a Division record of 3-1 and a conference record of 8-2. 11-3 with two Divisional games to play at home is an amazing result most here would not have even guessed at when the season started. It has not been pretty but looks pretty darn sweet.

Let's not forget the team is presently the top seed in the NFC. Holding onto that will not be easy but is clearly possible.

kf3339

Reaction score
I watched the Saints game this evening and saw a team that stepped on the gas and didn't let go until well into the 4th quarter of the game. I see the Colts as similar to the Panthers in several ways. But we got up on the Panthers, and then allowed back into the game in our last quarter. It has been happening far too often this season. The Colts and Panther Qb's are both basic backups trying to play a starter, yet the Saints didn't allow that to stop them from giving up zero points until pretty much the end of the game.

My point is two things: We don't have the killer instinct to get up and destroy the other team. The Saints looked like they do to me.

I hope we don't have to face them as I don't think it will be a good game for us. Just saying....

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":2fohlcms said:
I watched the Saints game this evening and saw a team that stepped on the gas and didn't let go until well into the 4th quarter of the game. I see the Colts as similar to the Panthers in several ways. But we got up on the Panthers, and then allowed back into the game in our last quarter. It has been happening far too often this season. The Colts and Panther Qb's are both basic backups trying to play a starter, yet the Saints didn't allow that to stop them from giving up zero points until pretty much the end of the game.

My point is two things: We don't have the killer instinct to get up and destroy the other team. The Saints looked like they do to me.

I hope we don't have to face them as I don't think it will be a good game for us. Just saying....

We do, just need Harbaugh on the other sideline, Pete at USC let them play, ever since we drubbed the 49ers at home he has been close to the vest Pete.

Seems he doesn't want a reputation of a guy that runs up the score.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Blindside":1mj3is9t said:
I would not overlook the cardinals especially at this late stage of the season. Arizona surprised the Browns and are more than capable of upsetting the Hawks on any given Sunday.

Especially considering they always give us fits at C Link. They took us down to the wire last season; beat us in 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2013.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11q5ltga said:
Someone else mentioned the Brown call. What the hell was that? Ticky tack crap.

Looked to me like the CB pissed himself when he saw Brown coming at him, started to fall back sideways and into a fetal position, and then Brown stuck out a hand and pushed/threw him aside, like Marshawn on Tracy Porter on Beastquake, and the refs felt sorry for the CB so they threw a flag. That's all I can figure.

Apparently as the Panthers CB dropped sideways to fetal, it made it look like Brown had somehow grabbed his jersey and thrown him (one handed). Sympathy call 100%. The CB was just trying not to get full-force pancaked and live to play another down. Bogus, bogus, bogus call.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
olyfan63":6r1ir32p said:
SoulfishHawk":6r1ir32p said:

Looked to me like the CB pissed himself when he saw Brown coming at him, started to fall back sideways and into a fetal position, and then Brown stuck out a hand and pushed/threw him aside, like Marshawn on Tracy Porter on Beastquake, and the refs felt sorry for the CB so they threw a flag. That's all I can figure.

Apparently as the Panthers CB dropped sideways to fetal, it made it look like Brown had somehow grabbed his jersey and thrown him (one handed). Sympathy call 100%. The CB was just trying not to get full-force pancaked and live to play another down. Bogus, bogus, bogus call.
Either that or the referees just decided to start penalizing the Seahawks to keep Carolina's chance to win alive and to keep those TV ratings up

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. How many times do we have to see the Hawks earn a first down, only to have to earn it yet AGAIN on a crap call? Especially when the game is on the line.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":4y7xf2z1 said:
SoulfishHawk":4y7xf2z1 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: hilarious recap of play. :2thumbs:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I'm glad I am not the only one who thought that way about that call