Ruminations on the Bucs Game

Polk738

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me why Tre Flowers was playing so much bail technique with no safety help? Good lord

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Don't know if that was a bad challenge. Griffin was getting torched by that WR and he did push off, but not enough to overrule the call on the field. It did show support for Griffin and it gave the D a a blow.

However, if that's all there is about Pete, the unremitting negativity is silly and not justified. What else have you got other than rubbish about lost timeouts?

trharder

Reaction score
olyfan63":1dek7464 said:
I actually agreed with Pete's challenge. Not that I expected him to win it. It was to make a point, get the refs paying attention. And to give his D a breather. Maybe the refs start paying attention, maybe it makes Evans a little more cautions about his OPI push-offs. What Evans did was far more impactful than the BS DPI they called on Flowers in the first half..
Thank you, someone finally said it. It's not just about whether you're going to win the challenge or not, it's putting the refs on notice. A guy like Evans is tough enough to defend. You let him get away with a push off on every play and it's impossible. For all Pete knew, the Seahawks might end up losing the game on the next Evans reception. We all know that the refs either consciously or unconsciously try to balance out their flag throwing. This was a "you owe me one" by Pete. Also, Pete is right, we didn't need that time out and the breather for the D wasn't a bad idea either.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Coaching:
I didn't mind the PI challenge. It was obviously PI at the same time we all knew they would not overturn it. I do this it could have made Evans think twice about pushing off the rest fo the game and if he had the refs would have been on it.

I thought Norton was a great pick up after Richard left. So far he has been the worse DC Pete has let runt he show. Pete need to take a larger role, or let another Defensive Coach have a larger voice. I hope he's not blaming it on the talent, I see some talent not playing to their abilities and some schemes that just don't seem to work.

Run Game:
Our run game looked good against a top run D. I am not sure Joey hunt can pass block as well as Britt, but I saw him get to the 2nd level a number of times and make some really good blocks.

Passing Game
#WilsonforMVP this has to happen, KC has won 2 of 3 without Mahomes, no way we win a game without Russell this year. Wilson to Lockett is on another level, I thought we woudl overcome the loss of Baldwin with Brown and Moore stepping up but it has been Lockett who is quite possibly setting himself up to have one of the better B to WR combos in NFL history.

We glaringly need a 3rd receiver for Wilson. I sure hope Josh Gordon sticks, he can't be worse than Jaron Brown and he instantly will draw more attention than Moore. If he could go for 300 yds 3 TD's over the regular season I'd call that a great move.

Defense
Mike Evans is a man amongst men, I can't fault our DB's on many of those as Evans just snatched the ball and used his sheer size and power to overcome our arm tackles. Don't' forget we also had to prep for Chris Godwin who was the #5 WR in yards and tied for #1 in TD's going into the game. Holding him to 60 yards and no TD's was decent. Also have to remember that Perriman had a lucky bounce TD and another highly unlikely back diving catch . Winston looked way more accurate than I expected...

Jaren Reed and Ziggy have not earned a new contract from us. We should have enough cash to resign two of the big three on our DL and right now Clowney is the only one that looks like a quality NFL starter. I have faith Reed will be playing at a high level by the end of the year but we need him to step up right now. Ziggy just doesn't look quick, powerful, or disruptive at all. Show me more Collier and Green.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
David Moore’s two catches both resulted in huge first downs. Sometimes the little things matter.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Wagner is a below average LB this year. Pains me to say it but it is true.
Collier is a bust, if he can't get on the field ahead of Ansah he must stink. Green does nothing either, another bust.
Carroll hates Penny, fairly obvious.
Wilson is the MVP of the league and honestly it isn't close, we would be 1-7 with Geno Smith.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1uka7pll said:
Defense
Mike Evans is a man amongst men, I can't fault our DB's on many of those as Evans just snatched the ball and used his sheer size and power to overcome our arm tackles. Don't' forget we also had to prep for Chris Godwin who was the #5 WR in yards and tied for #1 in TD's going into the game. Holding him to 60 yards and no TD's was decent. Also have to remember that Perriman had a lucky bounce TD and another highly unlikely back diving catch . Winston looked way more accurate than I expected...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/jtheaps9/status/1191121200660930560[/tweet]

LymonHawk

Reaction score
SlickRick":2ocef3sq said:
My ruminations is..... Seahawks win, let's just enjoy it. One game at a time 7-2!!

This^^^^^^ I could give a rat's red patootie about how we win as long as we win! :irishdrinkers:

olyfan63

Reaction score
trharder":1fplr99g said:
olyfan63":1fplr99g said:
I actually agreed with Pete's challenge. Not that I expected him to win it. It was to make a point, get the refs paying attention. And to give his D a breather. Maybe the refs start paying attention, maybe it makes Evans a little more cautions about his OPI push-offs. What Evans did was far more impactful than the BS DPI they called on Flowers in the first half..
Thank you, someone finally said it. It's not just about whether you're going to win the challenge or not, it's putting the refs on notice. A guy like Evans is tough enough to defend. You let him get away with a push off on every play and it's impossible. For all Pete knew, the Seahawks might end up losing the game on the next Evans reception. We all know that the refs either consciously or unconsciously try to balance out their flag throwing. This was a "you owe me one" by Pete. Also, Pete is right, we didn't need that time out and the breather for the D wasn't a bad idea either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was no PI flag thrown on the DK Metcalf catch where he got facemasked by the DB. Thankfully, DK caught the ball, making PI moot. Pete would have challenged the no-DPI-call if DK didn't catch it. That's one I think he SHOULD win, but the way these have gone, who knows.

I have seen that same level of OPI that Evans did called this year, including on our receivers. And of course somewhat similar type of OPI call in SBXL on Darrell Jackson screwed us out of a TD. Like trharder, I also believe that Carroll got the attention of the refs even though he lost the challenge. And as he noted, it's freakin tough enough to defend a beast like Evans anyway. What's the standard on the PI replays... clear and obvious error? Or am I, in my Sounders-in-MLS-cup enthusiasm, mixing that up with the standard for MLS VAR review?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Fade":nh98tgkb said:
[
I don't think Hollister is the long term answer by any means. He has the benefit of no one knowing who the hell he is going for him right now. If Gordon can keep is head screwed on straight, to go along with Carson, Lockett, & Metcalf. He should be able to continue to fly under the radar and make some timely plays. I don't see an insane talent, or a very good talent for that matter. He is a crafty, big receiver, playing TE because he isn't fast enough to play wideout.
Given the right matchups as the forgotten man, he can make plays though.

Yup, that pretty much is what he is, a crafty big WR who is an undersized TE that can occasionally slow down a rushing D-Lineman. Where Dissly can actually block and often stalemate a real D-Lineman. I do think Hollister is a little faster, and a slightly better receiver. Agreed, Dissly is the way better total package. Dissly: Blocker 8, receiver 7; Hollister: Blocker 5, receiver, 8. With Uncle Will out, I'll take what Hollister gave us today; we don't win without him-it was his *unexpected* contribution that put us over the top.

I'm kinda thinking that without picking up any TEs before trade deadline, Pete and Schotty decided to game-plan in a little more of what Hollister does well, and hope he came through. He sure did.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
morgulon1":ba1senm1 said:
Great post.

Yes this defense has some glaring weaknesses. I dont think it'll be fixes this year.
My opinion is they need 4 -5 new bodies on defense. Difference makers , a vocal leader to shape that side of the ball

They need a real DE. Clowney plays well but he isnt what we thought we were getting.

The db unit will improve . it takes time

Clowney is exactly what they thought that they were getting. You love glitz, Clowney is not that, but a top DE still.

Polk738

Reaction score
iigakusei":31c7nqzq said:
Wagner is a below average LB this year. Pains me to say it but it is true.
Collier is a bust, if he can't get on the field ahead of Ansah he must stink. Green does nothing either, another bust.
Carroll hates Penny, fairly obvious.
Wilson is the MVP of the league and honestly it isn't close, we would be 1-7 with Geno Smith.

Really?.....I mean he's 3rd in tackles in the league right now ahead of Luke Kuechly, I felt like he had the only decent sack in the game, yes he had a bonehead play that created points and missed some tackles but Bobby is anything but below average.

I don't disagree with you on Ansah, complete waste of a signing, I think it's a little early on Collier yet, the guy has practically had little to no development at this point. Green has had his moments but would like to see a little more consistency, he does seem to have a knack for finding the ball. I feel like Penny is faster on the edge than Carson, I almost wonder that if it had been Penny on that 59 yarder if he doesn't take that all the way. Wilson is the MVP but if Geno calls that coin flip wrong we could've very easily lost

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Wilson is a star. He is at his peak and we need to enjoy this.

The offense is very, very good. The O line is shaky but doing well enough at times.

The defense is trash. The kicker is trash. The coaches need to change up the defense somehow or we will be eliminated in the playoffs if we dont score 30. Its times to bring different packages out. However, im interested in Diggs and seeing the difference.

Myers? Oh boy. He has the Yips. I dont trust him at all.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Fade":1kte7oxd said:
Wenhawk":1kte7oxd said:
Defense

I'm guessing this is because of a fear of lack of pass rush, but I almost wonder if it isn't a cause too. QBs can take quick, easy throws so the rush doesn't have time to get there.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Polk738":1j0t99u2 said:
Wilson is the MVP but if Geno calls that coin flip wrong we could've very easily lost

I would swear that Tampa, the visiting team, called the coin flip and Geno just stood and watched. I just don't think Geno has reached his full development as a coin flip caller that TJack did. But, he got results. I wonder if it's the #7 jersey, not who's inside it?

onepicknick1

Reaction score
HawkGA":2mt5hzrx said:
Fade":2mt5hzrx said:
Wenhawk":2mt5hzrx said:
Defense

I'm guessing this is because of a fear of lack of pass rush, but I almost wonder if it isn't a cause too. QBs can take quick, easy throws so the rush doesn't have time to get there.

If you notice they play the man instead of the ball this D is not ball hungry I am surprised they get turnovers it usually by an errant throw I wonder if we were just lucky when we got Kam, Richard, ET maybe they just coached themselves maybe that's why we let them walk. "We want receivers to catch the ball then we want to see if you can make that tackle"
I really thought we were going to have a good D this year after last year thinking they were young well it is now official they are a lot worst then last year. We have the LOW Legion Of Whom. Who's going to make that tackle Who's going to make a great defensive play.

seahawks-in-qc

Reaction score
I never saw a guy getting beat so often as Dean (35 of TB). I started to feel bad for the guy haha!

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Fade":1el7aw31 said:
Ziggy "the Ghost" Ansah. You could put a cardboard cutout of him on the field and you wouldn't notice the difference.
Right on! And how about the other two "hotshot defensive giants" Reed and Clowney? Between the three of them they've barely touched the quarterback. We need to replace one or more of these guys with somebody that can get real pressure, or replace Flowers who is just pitiful. Until then, every opponent we have will rack up 30 or more points just by passing 4 out of every 5 plays.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Man what a nailbiter! Again! Bruce Banner hair just hulks into gray with each of these games.

This team is definitely far better on offense than defense. During our Super Bowl runs, it was so fun to watch when the other team had the ball because you just knew we were going to stomp them into the dirt, and probably take the ball away. And it was a little nerve-wracking on offense because you just had to hope we would score. Now, it's painful to watch on defense because of how easily the other teams seem to march down the field and score. But offense is getting really fun to watch.

DK Metcalf was a real steal in the draft. And Lockett is turning into an insanely great receiver. And Wilson is definitely putting up an MVP season, no doubt about it at all. When's the last time we had two receivers both well over a hundred yards in a game? And five touchdowns to zero interceptions? Wow!

But yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh, that kicking unit! Meyers is awful. Terrible. Multiple field goals he should have made, and how do you just flat miss an extra point. With how he's playing, we might as well just keep the offense out on the field, and go for two every time we score a touchdown.

I did agree with Pete's call to challenge there. It was a big enough play, and there was a push-off. Just apparently not enough for them to overturn it. At the point we were at, we had all timeouts, and the game was winding down. We didn't really need to scrimp on timeouts, and should have had the game-winning kick easily enough. There was little to lose on that challenge—one out of three timeouts left late in the game when we shouldn't have needed all of them anyway. And it would probably have been a game-winning shift in momentum right there.

Overall, besides all the white-knuckle closeness, it was a great game. For fans of football in general, it was a fantastic game, the kind they want to see Sunday and Monday nights. And Wilson! Man oh man is he good! It's a fun time to watch one of the best quarterbacks in the game, and likely in the history of the sport.