I love our chances against the Niners

keasley45

Reaction score
I'm guessing you didn't see the 49ers vs Raiders. Give the kid some credit, went in during Miami game, Miami threw the kitchen sink at him and didn't phase him, Bucks same thing, played Hawks with Oblique injury, Raiders got ahead and pressured entire first half, Cardinals sacked him twice and pressured him most of the game.

Purdy may not be the 2nd coming of Steve Young but the kid has 4 years as a starter in college. I don't think he's easily rattled. If the Hawks are scheming for Purdy being the weak link I think they're making a huge mistake.

This is a pick your poison game.
I did. In those games there were no expectations on him. Now the expectation is that they should win it all. He was the one playing with house money. Now he has everything to lose.

Marvin49

Reaction score
True. But we beat ourselves quite a bit in both games.

Conservative playcalling in game one + that idiotic trick play that resulted in a 14 point swing.

Untimely penalties both games.

Poor scheming and uninspired defense in game 2.

No run game... and very little of Geno running to keep their D honest.

I'm nit saying we are going to win, but I think the Hawks are going to be up for this game. They for certain feel as though they are better than what their record shows and have been their own worst enemy.

I think the defense will play inspired ball behind a LB unit centered around Barton rather than Brooks. Yes - I think they'll actually play better with Barton in Brooks's spot. The Dline will be healthy, the entire unit will see it as a get right game and they'll be pulling out all the stops.

On offense - we just need to protect and run the ball effectively. I know- easier said than done against the 9ers, but their secondary can be beat deep. If we force them to lighten the box, it will open things up.

And ... we are playing with house money. Purdy and the 9ers have been great, but all of the expectations are on their side. As great as Purdy has been, there's no telling how he performs if he throws a pick or two and all of a sudden has to shoulder the mental strain of being the QB who squandered their SB chances against a 7 seed.

Get in Purdy's head and anything is possible. He's yet to have to push through adversity.

I never really buy into the "we beat ourselves" type conversations. To me that's a comment any team that ever loses can say at any time.

I mean Kyle is good for a head scratching call every game as well, but doesn't get called out that much because so much of what he calls works.

To be clear tho....NOBODY has been able to run on the 49ers this year. They only give up 77.7 yards per game. Yes...they can be beat deep...but the gameplan you are describing is pretty much the gameplan of every single one of the 10 teams the 49ers just beat on this win streak. "Protect and run the ball effectively" has resulted in a combined 305-144 score (30-14 ea) over those last 10 games.

I am sure you are correct though in that Seattle will play inspired. They'll have the "paying with house money" attitude and they'll play hard.

As for adversity, I'll respectfully disagree. First off, they were down 10 to the Raiders and won the game. He'd have had a game winning drive if Gould didn't miss the FG at end of regulation.

Also...I think people forget this. For as well as Purdy has played, the 49ers are kinda playing with house money here as well. They were just crushed by injury early in the season and Purdy is their THIRD QB. I mean did anyone think they'd be in this spot when Jimmy broke his foot?

For myself, I'm just enjoying the ride. If they lose, it'll suck. Particularly if they lose to Seattle and I have to hear it from you guys all offseason. :)
As much as it'll suck tho, I never saw the 49ers this year as a real contender for the SB.

First, I expected them to lose some games while Trey took some lumps. Then, we were right back to Jimmy and then the D got eviscerated by injury and then they got crushed by KC. I always viewed that as more of an anomaly, but at that point they were 3-4 and teetering on a lost season.

The fact that they ripped off a 10 game win streak and are the 2 seed in the NFC is all gravy for me.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
If there is the slightest chance of beating SF at this time of the season I'm IN!
I'm wanting that RUSH sooo bad!

Marvin49

Reaction score
Raiders 135 yards.

Yes...but quite a bit of that was the QB. The 77.7 includes that game so what does that say. :) Its like saying the Chiefs scored 44. Even with that 44, they STILL led the NFL is points allowed.

NFL Leading rusher had 69 yards. No back has broken 100.

bileever

Reaction score
I never really buy into the "we beat ourselves" type conversations. To me that's a comment any team that ever loses can say at any time.

I mean Kyle is good for a head scratching call every game as well, but doesn't get called out that much because so much of what he calls works.

To be clear tho....NOBODY has been able to run on the 49ers this year. They only give up 77.7 yards per game. Yes...they can be beat deep...but the gameplan you are describing is pretty much the gameplan of every single one of the 10 teams the 49ers just beat on this win streak. "Protect and run the ball effectively" has resulted in a combined 305-144 score (30-14 ea) over those last 10 games.

I am sure you are correct though in that Seattle will play inspired. They'll have the "paying with house money" attitude and they'll play hard.

As for adversity, I'll respectfully disagree. First off, they were down 10 to the Raiders and won the game. He'd have had a game winning drive if Gould didn't miss the FG at end of regulation.

Also...I think people forget this. For as well as Purdy has played, the 49ers are kinda playing with house money here as well. They were just crushed by injury early in the season and Purdy is their THIRD QB. I mean did anyone think they'd be in this spot when Jimmy broke his foot?

For myself, I'm just enjoying the ride. If they lose, it'll suck. Particularly if they lose to Seattle and I have to hear it from you guys all offseason. :)
As much as it'll suck tho, I never saw the 49ers this year as a real contender for the SB.

First, I expected them to lose some games while Trey took some lumps. Then, we were right back to Jimmy and then the D got eviscerated by injury and then they got crushed by KC. I always viewed that as more of an anomaly, but at that point they were 3-4 and teetering on a lost season.

The fact that they ripped off a 10 game win streak and are the 2 seed in the NFC is all gravy for me.
I just really wish you guys had beaten the Broncos. That's what we needed from the 49ers this year.

keasley45

Reaction score

Can't disagree with any of that. But there are plenty of instances every week when the better team loses because they beat themselves, or the team that could have won didn't because of an ill timed penalty.

Maybe I should qualify my post as the things that need to happen for us to win 'and could happen'. Not what is likely to happen.

And of those potential scenarios, the one where Purdy cracks under the pressure of being hyped all week, with the spotlight on him all week, and with expectations now that the game hes been showing all season wont end until they hoist the Lombardi... its as plausible as any.

Sure, hes been the cinderella darling. But we seen it on the biggest stages when a team that SHOULD be favored falls to media distraction and hype unlike what they experience tbroughout the season.

Purdy has gone from the shining knight in the shadows to the heir apparent of one of the most storied franchises in league history. And this week will be the first where he will be expected to roll a vastly inferior team OR if he plays poorly, be responsible for his team collapsing in what would likely be one of the most lopsided upsets since a young seahawks team shocked the Saints and NFL world.

Thats completley different than beating the Dolphins, Raiders and Cards in the regular season.

Just saying, it could happen...

Will it? Of course ... 😉

WarHawks

Reaction score
Yes...but quite a bit of that was the QB. The 77.7 includes that game so what does that say. :) Its like saying the Chiefs scored 44. Even with that 44, they STILL led the NFL is points allowed.

NFL Leading rusher had 69 yards. No back has broken 100.
Jinx!

whidbeast

Reaction score
That 9ers pass rush is just unreal. It's like watching a big wave crash on a bunch of toddlers every down. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.

Marvin49

Reaction score
LOL. Possibly.

BTW...just checked this. Those 69 yards by Josh Jacobs represents the best rushing performance by a player vs Niners all year. 58 yards is the most after that.

Marvin49

Reaction score
That 9ers pass rush is just unreal. It's like watching a big wave crash on a bunch of toddlers every down. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.

Its funny. Perception is really something.

That's what you see. What I see is "why is Bosa held on nearly every down and when will they get a guy to really bookend him so offenses can't chip him so much". :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
Can't disagree with any of that. But there are plenty of instances every week when the better team loses because they beat themselves, or the team that could have won didn't because of an ill timed penalty.

Maybe I should qualify my post as the things that need to happen for us to win 'and could happen'. Not what is likely to happen.

And of those potential scenarios, the one where Purdy cracks under the pressure of being hyped all week, with the spotlight on him all week, and with expectations now that the game hes been showing all season wont end until they hoist the Lombardi... its as plausible as any.

Sure, hes been the cinderella darling. But we seen it on the biggest stages when a team that SHOULD be favored falls to media distraction and hype unlike what they experience tbroughout the season.

Purdy has gone from the shining knight in the shadows to the heir apparent of one of the most storied franchises in league history. And this week will be the first where he will be expected to roll a vastly inferior team OR if he plays poorly, be responsible for his team collapsing in what would likely be one of the most lopsided upsets since a young seahawks team shocked the Saints and NFL world.

Thats completley different than beating the Dolphins, Raiders and Cards in the regular season.

Just saying, it could happen...

Will it? Of course ... 😉

No question in my mind that the 49ers could lose this game very easily. If they don't take the Seahawks seriously they will get smacked in the mouth.

Thing is, I think there is little chance they won't take Seattle seriously.

Any given sunday tho. Every year, SOMEBODY wins in this round that nobody expects.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I would have preferred this matchup agantst Lance or against Garopollo.

A significant lining to all of this is that if it ends in our advancing, Purdy is not the starter Next year.