Why do I feel Quinn is our next HC

Jac

Reaction score
In what way would that possibly eliminate Vrabel? I would argue he’s easily as liked as Pete is by players who play for him. His culture while wanting more accountability and toughness but he’s a players coach. I agree on Belichick though.

This idea that a positive culture is so rare is an outdated opinion. It applies when Pete came into the league but I’d say it’s actually the majority now and not the outlier
This discussion that Carroll established some type of culture that we shouldn't have moved on from is insane. The team was rudderless. It was going nowhere. The last time the team won a playoff game was a wildcard on January 5, 2020. Before that, a wildcard on January 7, 2017. Enough mediocrity. Enough non-accountability. They're in a division with rivals that are winning with smart X's and O's. Our culture hasn't helped consistently threaten or beat them in a long, long time. Time for a new culture if that's what it takes. The national consensus wasn't that we damaged our reputation. It was "finally, they moved on".

WarHawks

Reaction score
I can't imagine JS would be so clueless as to hire a coach who just got pummeled in a major playoff game. Defies common sense and basic logic.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's all speculation at this point. Pretty clear that many of us don't want Quinn, but IF they did go with him, hopefully he will hire a new DC to go along with the new OC. And actually let them coach.

xray

Reaction score
Quinn is getting a second interview today .

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Why do you think they haven't interviewed him?
Is it possible he wants too much operational control? I've heard that from various places. Not sure it's true but it could explain why the candidate with the most NFL head coaching experience and success hasn't been brought in.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/new...-coach-interview-candidates-locked-on-podcast

Among those set to speak with general manager John Schneider and the rest of Seattle's brass a second time, four defensive coordinators have reportedly been scheduled for interviews, including Raiders coordinator Patrick Graham, Rams coordinator Raheem Morris, Cowboys coordinator Dan Quinn, and Panthers coordinator Ejiro Evero. The team also requested a second meeting with Giants offensive coordinator Mike Kafka.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Tom Pelisero's reason why Seattle hasn't interviewed Vrabel was culture fit. Essentially, he said Vrabel didn't fit Seattle's positive culture and embracing individuality. Is he wrong? Maybe. However, it's the only rational explanation I've heard for why Vrabel hasn't been interviewed. Why do you think they haven't interviewed him?

Also, who said positive culture was rare?
I spent time some looking at how people around that team view Vrable and I would say Pelisero is way, way off base to the point that its hard to believe. It's easy to find multiple examples of players praising him and multiple national media guys connected to the sport have reported the same thing. No clue what Tom is saying here.

As for Vrable not being interviewed.....I have no idea. Could be he doesn't view this as a great job. The pending sale is reason enough to push people away because it could be a one year stint until new ownership. Maybe John just doesn't click with him? Could be many, many things.

Positive culture: It's talked about in this forum that with Pete gone that is an element of this team that is gone by default and we will never get it back. It's been said dozens of times by multiple people. People mention that players love to play here, come back and love the team post caree etc. as if its a unicorn of sorts. It's great that Pete did cultivate that and I'm grateful for it but it's not something this organization can't have moving forward. Half the candidates being talked about are great in this area.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
In all sincerity, would that really be such a bad thing? Honestly I just don’t know.

I feel like this is foreshadowing the type of bargaining I will do mentally if Quinn is hired. My first concern when his name came up was how he hasn't faired well against the Shanahan offence (I know the counter-argument to that is who has?).

Then of course the last playoff game. It wasn't just how bad the Dallas D got carved up, it was things pointed out like how they still sat in 2-deep when they needed the ball back and the Packers were running. The only counter-point to how bad the Dallas D looked in the last playoff game would be based on how well the Pack O did vs the Niners, was that just a product of the opponent being hot?

RiverDog

Reaction score
Vrabel voted near top of list for coach players most want to play for:

Not that I doubt that Vrabel is popular amongst players, but that's not exactly a scientific sampling. It's not representative of the population. You're asking the best players in the league for their opinion, not the typical or random player.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Vrabel voted near top of list for coach players most want to play for:

This is something PC could never provide to his players. The sense that he understands what it's like to be them. PC played college ball but not in the NFL. Vrabel did both. He commands that respect and more since he's willing to lock horns with these guys. PC is a great guy with great attitudes and philosophies but he's not one of them. The question is could Vrabel be enough in the right environment to make this team a contender again? I hope JS explores it.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Not that I doubt that Vrabel is popular amongst players, but that's not exactly a scientific sampling. It's not representative of the population. You're asking the best players in the league for their opinion, not the typical or random player.
True but just looking into it seems to be universally accepted that players love playing for him when you bounce around their social media. I did a deep dive because I thought he was coming this way. I'm pretty convinced he is what is reputation is just like Pete.

cymatica

Reaction score
Not trying to stir the pot, but the hell with the culture. The Hawks are a terribly soft and undisciplined team. That's what the culture and coddling has gotten us. I want a different culture than that.
Not even sure if Jody knows what she means. She's not a football mind. She shouldn't be hanging vague stipulations over Johns head, it's probably just making things worse and making him second guess himself about the hire. Just let John find the best fit for what he thinks this team needs.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
"The Culture"

What exactly is this culture? Shouldn't football be our culture? I don't get it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
True but just looking into it seems to be universally accepted that players love playing for him when you bounce around their social media. I did a deep dive because I thought he was coming this way. I'm pretty convinced he is what is reputation is just like Pete.
I think it's reasonable to assume that Vrabel has at least above average relations with his players. There certainly isn't anything to suggest the opposite as there is with Harbaugh and some of the comments made by former players like Sherman and Baldwin. I'm just saying that asking such an elite group of players for their opinion might not be representative of what the team in general feels about playing for him.