I love our chances against the Niners

AgentDib

Reaction score
For me the opponent is less interesting then simply getting to play another game before we make some big decisions. How will Geno do on the road in the playoffs vs. a top defense? How will our young tackles do vs. the 49ers pass rush? Getting some of our young guys some playoff experience is a huge boost.

All 5 of them
Just a tip, Hawks fans are not going to be overly impressed by rings that happened before we were in the same conference. Most of us older fans were likely rooting for the 49ers back in the day against our AFC rivals. The 49ers were the closest NFC team to Seattle, televised often, and we rarely played each other.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Eight Hawks opponents this year rushed for at least 160 yards.

It's a rough matchup on paper in a lot of ways.

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
House $ for sure. ALL the pressure is on Santa Clara. Hawks can play loose and w/that chip on their shoulders. Not saying they are gonna win, but the are capable if they play their best game of the season. We've seen what this team can do when they play 4 good quarters of football.

Somone coming in to shoot down any positive outlook in 3.....2.....1......
SANTA CLARA wins by 17

knownone

Reaction score
Aside from two blown coverages and an untimely fumble, we played the Niners pretty well in our last match-up. So the longer we can hang around without shooting ourselves in the foot, the greater the odds we can steal this one.

There were a few interesting notes about that second game: Al Woods and Shelby Harris were out. It was also Walker's first game back from injury.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
If they go further than knocking 9rs out of the playoffs I'd be OK with it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The 49ers are hard to run against. In our first game against the 9ers, we had a total of 36 yards rushing, for an average of 2.57 yards per rush. In the second game, we had a total of 70 yards (and only 52 if you take away Geno's 18 yard scamper). So we're not going to dominate in the rushing game. We'll end up like last game, a lot of 3-and-outs and punting 7 times. Shane Waldron is going to have to figure out where the 49ers' Achilles heel is, and he's going to have to come up with an innovative game plan that exploits whatever weakness they have. Otherwise, it's going to be a long afternoon.

I hear ya.

But this is a kitchen sink game, as in throw everything at the Niners including the kitchen sink.

Remember all the times Pete in his post game presser after a loss says stuff like "they did a lot of things we hadn't seen on tape." That has to be our approach Saturday if we have any hope of winning.

If Pete and his coordinators scheme conservatively hoping to win a traditional football game against a superior opponent with a defense like the Niners have?

It's gonna be ugly.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks have some sort of fuggin' allergy to game planning against George Kittle. They can't do it.

To have any chance I think Geno and the offensive line need to have their best games of the year.

Yeah. Even when it was Kittle and Mullens, they couldn’t. They might today. But there are at least five ppl Brock can get the ball to And dies. It’s not like Purdy has to have Kittle as a security blanket.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I think with the rain, the Seahawks do have a good chance of winning. The first game against the 49ers, they lost by a bunch, but I think that was more to the fact that Lance got hurt and what the 49ers could do offensively changed. The 2nd game was more of what I would expect in division games, close and ugly. I felt if a call or two or a play or two went the other way, the Seahawks would have won that 2nd game. Purdy did not look all that great against us.
I dunno about that.

I mean you can say that it was essentially a one score game at the end, but if not for a questionable roughing call its 28-3 at that point and the Niners ended the game by downing it inside the Seattle 5 yard line.

Also notable: Deebo Samuel didn't play in that game.

That's not to say history repeats itself. Anything can happen.

Just sayin', neither game this year was particularly close. 2 games, 1 Seattle offensive TD...and even that was with 3:36 left in the 4th quarter and the score at that point was 21-6.

In the first game, Seattle was shut out other than a blocked FG from inside the 5 for a TD.

Again, none of this is to say that Seattle can't win and won't put up 30 on Saturday.

All I'm sayin is Game 1 was lost because Seattle couldn't score and game 2 wasn't much different in that regard and the game wasn't as close as the final score would indicate.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
How are CMC and Deebo going to stay healthy to the superbowl is my only question on them.

From the moment Seattle clinched the 7 seed to the moment we take the field for game 1 next year is all gifts from above, so much to be enthralled with, moreso than any team, for at least a year.... How about upsetting Santa Clara? Lets go try, sounds fun, doesn't matter so much if we lose.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Seattle playing on house money with nothing to lose. That's right there is dangerous for the 49ers.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Both games the hawks were dominated. Going to take some luck and better play on both sides of the ball. Geno needs to reverse his downward spiral he's on, the defense needs to play inspired football, we need consistent pressure on the QB and we need a running game to help take the pressure off Geno. We for sure need to win the turnover battle. None for us, at least 2 or 3 for them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seattle playing on house money with nothing to lose. That's right there is dangerous for the 49ers.

Only if you play like it, like the Lions did Sunday night.

Go for it on 4th early and often, some trick plays, take chances on defense. Balls to the wall effort.

If Pete rolls out there with his usual cautious playoff schemes and playcalling like we've seen many times like the Dallas playoff game?

Gonna get boat raced.

bileever

Reaction score
Only if you play like it, like the Lions did Sunday night.

Go for it on 4th early and often, some trick plays, take chances on defense. Balls to the wall effort.

If Pete rolls out there with his usual cautious playoff schemes and playcalling like we've seen many times like the Dallas playoff game?

Gonna get boat raced.
I was curious about the etymology of the phrase "boat raced," so I looked it up. According to Urban Dictionary, it comes from the annual crew race between Oxford and Cambridge. Apparently, the team that can take the lead can move to the center of the river, take advantage of the faster current and increase its lead.

So clearly, the Seahawks only need to take the lead and not let the 49ers get to the center of the river.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I was curious about the etymology of the phrase "boat raced," so I looked it up. According to Urban Dictionary, it comes from the annual crew race between Oxford and Cambridge. Apparently, the team that can take the lead can move to the center of the river, take advantage of the faster current and increase its lead.

So clearly, the Seahawks only need to take the lead and not let the 49ers get to the center of the river.

C7c5b71484c06965070f4f4fcdca8a23

Chukarhawk

Reaction score

bonus points for using the word "etymology" in a sentence!

keasley45

Reaction score
I dunno about that.

I mean you can say that it was essentially a one score game at the end, but if not for a questionable roughing call its 28-3 at that point and the Niners ended the game by downing it inside the Seattle 5 yard line.

Also notable: Deebo Samuel didn't play in that game.

That's not to say history repeats itself. Anything can happen.

Just sayin', neither game this year was particularly close. 2 games, 1 Seattle offensive TD...and even that was with 3:36 left in the 4th quarter and the score at that point was 21-6.

In the first game, Seattle was shut out other than a blocked FG from inside the 5 for a TD.

Again, none of this is to say that Seattle can't win and won't put up 30 on Saturday.

All I'm sayin is Game 1 was lost because Seattle couldn't score and game 2 wasn't much different in that regard and the game wasn't as close as the final score would indicate.

True. But we beat ourselves quite a bit in both games.

Conservative playcalling in game one + that idiotic trick play that resulted in a 14 point swing.

Untimely penalties both games.

Poor scheming and uninspired defense in game 2.

No run game... and very little of Geno running to keep their D honest.

I'm nit saying we are going to win, but I think the Hawks are going to be up for this game. They for certain feel as though they are better than what their record shows and have been their own worst enemy.

I think the defense will play inspired ball behind a LB unit centered around Barton rather than Brooks. Yes - I think they'll actually play better with Barton in Brooks's spot. The Dline will be healthy, the entire unit will see it as a get right game and they'll be pulling out all the stops.

On offense - we just need to protect and run the ball effectively. I know- easier said than done against the 9ers, but their secondary can be beat deep. If we force them to lighten the box, it will open things up.

And ... we are playing with house money. Purdy and the 9ers have been great, but all of the expectations are on their side. As great as Purdy has been, there's no telling how he performs if he throws a pick or two and all of a sudden has to shoulder the mental strain of being the QB who squandered their SB chances against a 7 seed.

Get in Purdy's head and anything is possible. He's yet to have to push through adversity.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
True. But we beat ourselves quite a bit in both games.

Conservative playcalling in game one + that idiotic trick play that resulted in a 14 point swing.

Untimely penalties both games.

Poor scheming and uninspired defense in game 2.

No run game... and very little of Geno running to keep their D honest.

I'm nit saying we are going to win, but I think the Hawks are going to be up for this game. They for certain feel as though they are better than what their record shows and have been their own worst enemy.

I think the defense will play inspired ball behind a LB unit centered around Barton rather than Brooks. Yes - I think they'll actually play better with Barton in Brooks's spot. The Dline will be healthy, the entire unit will see it as a get right game and they'll be pulling out all the stops.

On offense - we just need to protect and run the ball effectively. I know- easier said than done against the 9ers, but their secondary can be beat deep. If we force them to lighten the box, it will open things up.

And ... we are playing with house money. Purdy and the 9ers have been great, but all of the expectations are on their side. As great as Purdy has been, there's no telling how he performs if he throws a pick or two and all of a sudden has to shoulder the mental strain of being the QB who squandered their SB chances against a 7 seed.

Get in Purdy's head and anything is possible. He's yet to have to push through adversity.

I'm guessing you didn't see the 49ers vs Raiders. Give the kid some credit, went in during Miami game, Miami threw the kitchen sink at him and didn't phase him, Bucks same thing, played Hawks with Oblique injury, Raiders got ahead and pressured entire first half, Cardinals sacked him twice and pressured him most of the game.

Purdy may not be the 2nd coming of Steve Young but the kid has 4 years as a starter in college. I don't think he's easily rattled. If the Hawks are scheming for Purdy being the weak link I think they're making a huge mistake.

This is a pick your poison game.