I just heard Clayton say

Polaris

Reaction score
Largent80":1t8rvbeu said:
Beer Hawk":1t8rvbeu said:
He's devoting his entire segment (on 710 right now as I type this...) to bashing Lynch. Said he was irresponsible and when pressed by Michael Grey said he was legitimately mad at him. Unreal.

I'm listening too and that is where I heard all this, right from his wrinkled neck.

Which is odd because the initial reaction from the NFL's PR department is actually pretty benign, "He was required to participate and he did." I doubt the NFL does a thing.

Onyx

Reaction score
They are pissed he didnt answer questions about unicorns and if this was a "must win" game.

Basis4day

Reaction score
"But also too, well let put it this way, ahhhhhhhh"

Every John Clayton appearance ever.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Clayton is your uncle that used to be interesting in the 70's and 80's, but is now kinda weird and bitter due to old age setting in.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I expected more from Clayton. This is the guy who is all about anti- no fun flags. He is always stating players should express themselves and have fun in the nfl. Suppose that ends with interviews or lack there of.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Just like athletes who can give emotional interviews right after a big game.... apparently media people can get emotional and whine when they don't get what they want at 'media day'.

Calm down Clayton, you'll be ok.

seahawk 17

Reaction score
Doubt NFL fines him for saying a bad word....it would have to come down from the FCC.

Polaris

Reaction score
I think Clayton was hoping to get some good stuff today with Lynch and is upset, and is having his version of a temper tantrum. In fact Clayton himself on his KIRO segment more-or-less admits this.

Seeker

Reaction score
I still love clayton. gotta chalk this one up to the fact that he takes pride in his job as a media member over being a fan of any team.
still fining a guy $100,000 for what essentially breaks down to "not tap dancing well enough" is more than a little ridiculous.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Clayton just joined my do not listen to list. And I actually like him. (liked) past tense.

If this were in the shack, I would have a slightly different version.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Clayton embarrassed himself today. Media being upset that Lynch didn't give them enough "minutes" is pure ego. He gave the best interview all day. More than enough content for his actual fans. Guess the ESPN guys are just pissed that Prime/NFLN scooped them.

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
Polaris":1q8dy4vm said:
I think Clayton was hoping to get some good stuff today with Lynch and is upset, and is having his version of a temper tantrum. In fact Clayton himself on his KIRO segment more-or-less admits this.

That's exactly what he sounded like. Some spoiled brat that didn't get the new toy he wanted.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Polaris":43p7b2bg said:

I heard him on BOB and Groz and he predicted Marshawn's interview would be the most interesting/outrageous. Maybe Lynch promised him a great interview and bailed?

TBH, I find this hard to believe though. I didn't think Clayton was the type of guy to spout off like this. You sure this isn't some kind of spoof or sarcasm?

The only thing John has been upset about is Pete letting Harvin return kick offs.

253hawk

Reaction score
If the NFL really expects all of the players to be engaging, loquacious personalities, they should have courses for the players that helps them transition to the league and to be able handle the media rush. Lynch had literally turned 21 less than a week before he was drafted. These kids are basically given more money than they know what to do with and offered zero guidance. The NFL is basically just 'go make us some money and try to stay out of jail.'

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The irony is that reactions like Clayton's are the reason why he doesn't do interviews in the first place. He's a quiet guy who probably prefers one-on-one interactions. He put his preferences to the side and gave the media six good minutes + a great interview with Deion.

Yet he gets killed by the media anyway. Why even bother?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Personally, i wish media day consisted of a panel of Sherman, Bennett, Okung, Unger and Big Red. Throw Moffit in there if he was still on the team. If you've heard one Wilson interview you've heard them all.

Should the media really be shocked that a Seahawk wouldn't want to talk to the media after the Witch Hunt that Sherman went through? Let alone Lynch who is known to hate interviews. Just because they're forced to talk doesn't automatically mean they're going to have anything interesting to say.

Basis4day

Reaction score
253hawk":inixck9k said:
If the NFL really expects all of the players to be engaging, loquacious personalities, they should have courses for the players that helps them transition to the league and to be able handle the media rush. Lynch had literally turned 21 less than a week before he was drafted. These kids are basically given more money than they know what to do with and offered zero guidance. The NFL is basically just 'go make us some money and try to stay out of jail.'

And that leads to repetitive interviews like Russell's. Which the media member will complain about.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
If Lynch had done that interview with Clayton instead of Sanders, Rich Eisen would be the one who was up in arms and crying about Lynch being inaccessible.

Sports media is essentially worthless outside of guys who scoop transactions. Otherwise, we get better information and analysis from bloggers that aren't part of the old guard.