Seahawks just restructured the prez

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
Could you provide a bit more detail about why you think this made sense? As far as I'm aware, all we are doing here is borrowing $6.6m from 2024 and 2025. Slightly better for this year, slightly worse for those years.

If we had a single year window then it would make sense, but the exciting part of this team is all the promising youth we have added who should continue to get better over the next few years. This move has a steep discount rate influenced by the FO wanting to win now, and long-term fans with low discount rates should push back for more emphasis on future season upside. I certainly don't feel like we are done building the team to where we can start sacrificing the future for the present, but rather that we need to keep building it up to a better level in the future.
That's what restructures usually are: borrowing against future years. If a team is truly in a win-now mode then it makes sense, as you can blow up the team when necessary and just use one disaster year to get your cap situation straight. If a team isn't actually ready to compete then it's just going to be one more thing biting them financially when they're in their super bowl window.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
From all the articles I read yesterday about this, most said you really need around 10M of cap going into the season for mid to late season necessary injury and depth signings.

So not sure this means something's in the works now. Even Pete said yesterday he's happy with the roster the way it is going into the season.
Just heard back from Sando, I asked him what the average amount of cap space was for an NFL team to make it through the season. He said he didn't have those numbers in front of him but he thinks it's 6 to 7 million. Just another perspective.

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just heard back from Sando, I asked him what the average amount of cap space was for an NFL team to make it through the season. He said he didn't have those numbers in front of him but he thinks it's 6 to 7 million. Just another perspective.

LTH

Not far off from what I said. Either way, the restructuring I don't think means a trade or signing is imminent like others have suggested.

But if we go 3-4 games with our defense getting gashed again like last year? You better damn well expect something's going to happen.

sutz

Reaction score
Not far off from what I said. Either way, the restructuring I don't think means a trade or signing is imminent like others have suggested.
This is also the time of year when someone might get cut that they're interested in, specifically a big body for the line. Doesn't look like it so far. But having a few mill available is always a good thing for emergencies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is also the time of year when someone might get cut that they're interested in, specifically a big body for the line. Doesn't look like it so far. But having a few mill available is always a good thing for emergencies.

Brady Henderson did a great breakdown on a new trend in the NFL of teams not cutting high value big bodies on the D and O line, for this very reason. The more progressive the college and NFL game gets, the more premium is put on the development of linemen. Because the big bodies are getting rarer and rarer.

So teams aren't just cutting linemen like the old days, even backups or practice squad players they've developed for years.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Brady Henderson did a great breakdown on a new trend in the NFL of teams not cutting high value big bodies on the D and O line, for this very reason. The more progressive the college and NFL game gets, the more premium is put on the development of linemen. Because the big bodies are getting rarer and rarer.

So teams aren't just cutting linemen like the old days, even backups or practice squad players they've developed for years.
This is odd.

Do you think it's the result of the evolution of the college game? I don't follow college closely, are the lines not as big?

I've always been a big believer that teams should put maximum emphasis on the offensive and defensive lines thru the draft because skill position players
are in abundance.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is odd.

Do you think it's the result of the evolution of the college game? I don't follow college closely, are the lines not as big?

I've always been a big believer that teams should put maximum emphasis on the offensive and defensive lines thru the draft because skill position players
are in abundance.

It's not that the lines aren't big, the major universities still pump out 300+ pound linemen on both sides of the ball.

More to do with because of the one read spread college game, it's taking longer and longer for NFL teams to develop these linemen, so when you've got a 2nd or 3rd year guy who's not even starting, to give that up for another 3rd or 4th round pick only to develop another guy that's going to take 2 or 3 years to develop?

That's not a smart approach anymore. Thus not very much quality on the waiver wire or dried up trade market for linemen.

Look no further than our own drafts this year with Morris and Young, and keeping guys on the roster like Haynes and Adams.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score

But if we go 3-4 games with our defense getting gashed again like last year? You better damn well expect something's going to happen.
I think the important thing is they have 3-4 million to make it happen if they need it... let's see what happens after the Rams game as I'm sure that we will know how good the run D is after that game. I think the Rams are going to run it 30 plus times.

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think the important thing is they have 3-4 million to make it happen if they need it... let's see what happens after the Rams game as I'm sure that we will know how good the run D is after that game. I think the Rams are going to run it 30 plus times.

LTH

Rams always give our D fits with their crossers and deceptive formation run game.

I know everyone thinks they suck this year, and they might end up 4-13, but game one? Err, scares the hell out of me.

sutz

Reaction score
Openers are always tricky. Most teams will come out with some wrinkles they didn't show in pre-season.

morgulon1

Reaction score
It's not that the lines aren't big, the major universities still pump out 300+ pound linemen on both sides of the ball.

More to do with because of the one read spread college game, it's taking longer and longer for NFL teams to develop these linemen, so when you've got a 2nd or 3rd year guy who's not even starting, to give that up for another 3rd or 4th round pick only to develop another guy that's going to take 2 or 3 years to develop?

That's not a smart approach anymore. Thus not very much quality on the waiver wire or dried up trade market for linemen.

Look no further than our own drafts this year with Morris and Young, and keeping guys on the roster like Haynes and Adams.
There's another dude coming out next year from Michigan . Big corn fed boy
That can slide next to Olawaminimommy