How will the Seahawk's success change the NFL?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Johnny Football's comments about Wilson got me thinking, just what will success for the Seahawks mean for the rest of the league? What will have made people sit up and take notice? What will others want to emulate?

1 - Tall physical cornerbacks

I have a few more but I'm interested to see what others think.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If they don't imitate the Compete philosophy, it won't matter what else they copy.

HawkStar3

Reaction score
Of course everyone is going to go get them a 5' 10", extremely hard working, motivated, smart, accurate, mobile QB in the next draft.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":16hnn5z2 said:
If they don't imitate the Compete philosophy, it won't matter what else they copy.

This.

Not to mention we all need to also realize that JS and PC got VERY lucky the whole RW thing panned out. Had it not, and Flynn ended up with a year (or even two of mediocre play), we'd all be screaming for a new coach right now rather than celebrating our franchise's first SB win.

Anthony!

Reaction score
They will try to emulate our defense and will be more open to looking beyond height with regards to QBs.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
What are your others? Other than tall physical cornerbacks and a super-strong safety I think Scottemojo nailed it... Philosophy.

People can copy all they want but while we have got PC and JS I feel safe. Fullspeed/Loud Music practices are just small things that makes us great as an organisation. We do a lot of things right.

farhat

Reaction score
There's so much to say here:

1) Running the Ball: In a day and age where the rules support the passing game, it is uncommon for teams to only pass the ball 20-25 times/game. This reduces the amount of turnovers.

2) Winning the Turnover Battle: Of course, everyone wants to win the turnover battle, but Seattle is the only team I've heard of that has a practice dedicated to winning the turnover battle every week.

3) Cover 1 or Cover 3 Defense: Can you believe we ran the same basic defense all year long and went against Peyton Manning and destroyed him? Peyton knew what side of the field Sherman would be on and we didn't even blitz very much and we still dominated?

4) Going after players with something to prove: I wish Carroll didn't give this one away in an interview because the other 3 are things people can figure out from the game film. This one is more personal. They go after guys with heart, a great work ethic, something to prove, a chip on their shoulder. They call this "grit." It will be interesting if other teams starting saying: "we're going after some guys with grit."

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Scottemojo":24j60zc0 said:

Incompetent OC and completely inept play calling included? ;)

farhat

Reaction score
And I used to think that the Packers, Saints, Lions, Patriots, and Broncos were the way to go: pass the ball. After all, it looks more exciting then these close game management games.

But what have we learned about the pass happy teams?

1) They demand a high paying QB. In the salary cap era, it is too difficult to construct a Super Bowl contender when your QB is getting paid over $15 million/year. Once Brees and Rogers won Super Bowls they demanded $20 million/year. It is unlikely they will return to the Super Bowl.

2) Pass Happy Teams turn the ball over more: Sack fumbles, interceptions.

3) Pass Happy Teams are one dimensional against good defenses: You simply cannot beat good defenses like the Seahawks if all you do is pass. The only way the Broncos had a chance against us is if they got Knowshon Moreno going. But since they are pass 1st team, they couldn't.

The Seahawks are a return to old fashioned traditional football. That, I believe, is their biggest accomplishment.

TAB420

Reaction score
HawkStar3":2d540x66 said:
Of course everyone is going to go get them a 5' 10", extremely hard working, motivated, smart, accurate, mobile QB in the next draft.

He's 5'11" so they will still come up 1 inch short...lol

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
One of the others I was thinking off was drafting players based on their physical characteristics or skill set lower in the draft and coaching them accordingly. This sounds kind of obvious but I think a few teams will be looking at the later rounds in the draft differently.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1ukhmzvz said:

You sir are correct. It has to be the whole package. Just a little piece does not a puzzle make.

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":u1z2e2oa said:
One of the others I was thinking off was drafting players based on their physical characteristics or skill set lower in the draft and coaching them accordingly. This sounds kind of obvious but I think a few teams will be looking at the later rounds in the draft differently.
UK's got the right idea. Go for people (including FA) that have a chip or skill sets that can be coached ala "Moneyball". I know that was baseball, but the philosophy is the same. Hey, there's that word again...philosophy. Props to Scotte...on his philosophy.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1j8thn3v said:
Scottemojo":1j8thn3v said:

Incompetent OC and completely inept play calling included? ;)
Of course. Besides, Bevell is only partially inept. Even somewhat competent.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
farhat":2r5mgoxw said:
And I used to think that the Packers, Saints, Lions, Patriots, and Broncos were the way to go: pass the ball. After all, it looks more exciting then these close game management games.

But what have we learned about the pass happy teams?

1) They demand a high paying QB. In the salary cap era, it is too difficult to construct a Super Bowl contender when your QB is getting paid over $15 million/year. Once Brees and Rogers won Super Bowls they demanded $20 million/year. It is unlikely they will return to the Super Bowl.

2) Pass Happy Teams turn the ball over more: Sack fumbles, interceptions.

3) Pass Happy Teams are one dimensional against good defenses: You simply cannot beat good defenses like the Seahawks if all you do is pass. The only way the Broncos had a chance against us is if they got Knowshon Moreno going. But since they are pass 1st team, they couldn't.

The Seahawks are a return to old fashioned traditional football. That, I believe, is their biggest accomplishment.

Well, it won't be that long before Seattle is an old fashioned traditional football team with a QB getting 15 to 20 million.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Beyond what's already been mentioned, savvy Secondary coaches should be looking for ways to get longer players that are more actively physical with opposing receivers.

On a related level, the L.O.B. might have removed the stigma of the NFL Secondary as a "Couldn't-Be-An-NFL-Caliber-WR-And-Had-To-Settle" assemblage of positions.

HolyCatfish

Reaction score
I have a suspicion our Hawks caught lightning in a bottle. The convergence of factors that gave life to this monster may never be duplicated by any other team.

It's the unique chemistry of: Pete, John, and Paul combined with, yes I'll say it, the 12th Man.

"When it comes to making noise, no one does it like the Seahawks. The fastest score in Super Bowl history came after 12 seconds. How appropriate, because E. Rutherford N.J. looked and sounded a lot like Seattle." NFL Films

"Whether it's nerves on the part of the center or perhaps they didn't hear that Peyton was trying to extend the snap count." Steve Raible

"Think it was the 12th Man, the noise!" Warren Moon

"I called the snap count, you didn't hear me." Peyton to Ramirez, on the way back to the sidelines.

"We got to go with the silent count..." Peyton on the sidelines

"Hey, little louder than we thought huh?" John Fox

drdiags

Reaction score
The Seahawks' success will change the expectations owners will place on their GMs and coaches. The owners may start wondering what does it take to get lower round picks becoming important cogs in their teams. Some of the owners at least. Others will figure it is just a combination of luck and some risks on questionable players.

Just like other past winners, maybe a few items used for success will be reviewed but this business is comprised of folks who are strong in their conviction and will continue to minimize the successes of the Seahawks.

Even the "Dynasty" Patriots were not emulated by every team in the NFL. I expect the same type of responses for the Seahawks.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pete's coaching style... letting the players be themselves and have fun practicing and playing football... that's one that's going to take a long time for the NFL to transition to that style.

Their are many head coaches and assistants that grew up in the old school of dominating, yelling at and demeaning the players.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
To me it's more about the perfect people at the right exact perfect moment to make it all happen. You can't just find a Schneider out there who has his freakish ability to find diamonds in later rounds. Nor Pete Carroll's who has a philosophy, energy and approach that completely resonates with this exact mix of men. Unfortunately for the rest of the NFL, there's simply no way to replicate what we have. Like Aaron Rodgers basically said on that radio program last week...Our defense can't simply be copied...It's this special group of athletes with their rare combination of size and speed you can't just magically plug into your rosters.

We have the template for anyone to copy if they want. The problem is finding that core group of players, coaches and GM that can create that Championship to make the template work.

Latest posts