How will the Seahawk's success change the NFL?

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The biggest thing I think other teams will try to emulate is the way Seattle manages to be physical on defense without going over the line with the new rules. MMQB pointed this out last week.
MMQB":2wbq3cxf said:
Seattle had 188 defensive snaps in the postseason, and zero penalties on defense for unnecessary roughness, late hit on the quarterback, helmet-to-helmet hit on a receiver or any hit on a defenseless player. Thus, the Seahawks earned zero fines from the league on any defensive player for an egregious hit.

You get fined in the NFL these days for breathing heavily on receivers. And these Seahawks, with one of the best postseason defensive performances of the Super Bowl era, were totally legal.

As Quinn told me: “The message was clear. We can either bitch about it, or we can adjust and play by the new rules and move on. All the blowup shots from the past, they’re over. Adjust.’’

Quinn said he used a baseball-type strike zone—breastbone to knees—to show players where they could hit. And over and over, they focused on taking out the head hits and putting in the midsection hits.
Read more here: http://mmqb.si.com/2014/02/11/seattle-s ... lean-hits/

seedhawk

Reaction score
My opinion only, but the biggest difference between PC and JS and most others is, they rank players and their board against the TEAM, not league wisdom or expert analyst thought.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Let me simplify

Seattle Seahawks

RoadWarriors265.jpg

And now we have the rest of the NFL

Demolition.jpeg

:D

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":23y3yau9 said:
Zebulon Dak":23y3yau9 said:
Scottemojo":23y3yau9 said:
If they don't imitate the Compete philosophy, it won't matter what else they copy.

Incompetent OC and completely inept play calling included? ;)
Of course. Besides, Bevell is only partially inept. Even somewhat competent.
As infuriating as some of his calls are, it's difficult to remember they are following a game plan. It might be too conservative a game plan at times. It may be a limited game plan because of injuries or player limitations. But every time they've had the opportunity to open up their game plan it's looked marvelous and people think that was a well called game by Bevell. And when it's not been opened up, that was Bevell's fault.

I personally don't believe Bevell is schizophrenic or that he's a blind squirrel who finds a nut once in a while. So, as much as playcalling has driven me nuts at times, we just went 16-3 and a Super Bowl and that "greatest offense of all time"? Not so much.

So from here on out all the Bevell haters can STFU about Bevell and repeat after me: "In Bevell (and Pete) We Trust."

seedhawk

Reaction score
Bevell is the perfect example of the "peter principle". He has definitely risen to his level of incompetence!

Anthony!

Reaction score
farhat":11hbg55a said:
And I used to think that the Packers, Saints, Lions, Patriots, and Broncos were the way to go: pass the ball. After all, it looks more exciting then these close game management games.

But what have we learned about the pass happy teams?

1) They demand a high paying QB. In the salary cap era, it is too difficult to construct a Super Bowl contender when your QB is getting paid over $15 million/year. Once Brees and Rogers won Super Bowls they demanded $20 million/year. It is unlikely they will return to the Super Bowl.

2) Pass Happy Teams turn the ball over more: Sack fumbles, interceptions.

3) Pass Happy Teams are one dimensional against good defenses: You simply cannot beat good defenses like the Seahawks if all you do is pass. The only way the Broncos had a chance against us is if they got Knowshon Moreno going. But since they are pass 1st team, they couldn't.

The Seahawks are a return to old fashioned traditional football. That, I believe, is their biggest accomplishment.

Hmm okay so when Rw comes up for a new contract and wants 16-18 mil I am guessing you are all for letting him walk? The problem is your #1 has not been proven yet.

Anthony!

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":eih4mfa6 said:
Scottemojo":eih4mfa6 said:
Zebulon Dak":eih4mfa6 said:
Scottemojo":eih4mfa6 said:
If they don't imitate the Compete philosophy, it won't matter what else they copy.

As infuriating as some of his calls are, it's difficult to remember they are following a game plan. It might be too conservative a game plan at times. It may be a limited game plan because of injuries or player limitations. But every time they've had the opportunity to open up their game plan it's looked marvelous and people think that was a well called game by Bevell. And when it's not been opened up, that was Bevell's fault.

I personally don't believe Bevell is schizophrenic or that he's a blind squirrel who finds a nut once in a while. So, as much as playcalling has driven me nuts at times, we just went 16-3 and a Super Bowl and that "greatest offense of all time"? Not so much.

So from here on out all the Bevell haters can STFU about Bevell and repeat after me: "In Bevell (and Pete) We Trust."

But why when we have proven we can still be explosive, wide open on offense and not turn the ball over. The SB and all the games before and including the NO regular season game proved we can do both, bevel and PC just needs to let us.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2ju6hdqy said:
Scottemojo":2ju6hdqy said:
Zebulon Dak":2ju6hdqy said:
Scottemojo":2ju6hdqy said:

I think your take is MED-E-OHHHHHH-KERRRRR.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1vpdjnut said:
Scottemojo":1vpdjnut said:

Well, no team is perfect, there has to be a flaw somewhere. 8) :stirthepot:

theascension

Reaction score
The Seahawks will only make teams better. Avoiding hits to the head is only a good thing for the NFL and we're leading by example. I firmly believe we're still at least a year ahead of everyone in terms of how smart we've set up this team. Many GM's/organizations in the NFL seem very very slow to change/move and perhaps they won't until they have a few losing seasons.

Teams that are heavy offensively orientated like say.. the new Bears really can't switch overnight since they're so heavily invested now. They allowed six 200 yard running games against them last year, that stat likely won't be as bad next year but I doubt they'll have a Seahawks front overnight.

djb28

Reaction score
Teams will try to emulate us, But without that special bond our guys seem to share most teams will be lucky to be half as good! It sounds corny but I think it is true.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I personally believe that the overall philosophy and the CHEMISTRY of this team, is as important as the talent and physical attributes. That will be next to impossible to copy.
I think it's obvious that #3 RW has opened some eyes, and some guys will now get a second look that previously wouldn't have.
I can see it now.
2013 Seattle Seahawks.........
....often imitated, never duplicated. :)

Edit: and let's NOT forget our team owner. Very few owners will hire who they think is fit for the job, AND then let him/them do what they hired'em for.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I don't think we have established anything as of now. Starting next year is when we will see what the real set up is. So far we have drafted well, made some key trades and taken advantage of said draft picks with key FA signings. The real test is on our doorstep now. Do we spend too much money on re-signing role players and let some of our draft picks walk? Do we just keep hoping to nail the draft? What will we do after Wilson is making $15m+? I think this is when we will really see if there is a "win forever" plan in place or if we're just hoping lightning strikes twice. Personally, I think there is a plan and am mildly hopeful Wilson will reach his dream of 4 SB titles.

I look at it like running a marathon. Right now we have started off good and have just taken the lead. The real test is can we keep up the pace or will we burn ourselves out and fall back to the pack.

drdiags

Reaction score
On the topic of Chemistry, there is a very good chance the following players are gone:

- Breno Giacomini
- Sydney Rice
- Chris Clemons
- Clinton McDonald
- Tony McDaniel
- Zack Miller
- Red Bryant
- Golden Tate
- Mike Robinson
- Paul McQuistan
- Michael Bennett
- Mike Morgan
- Heath Farwell
- Chris Maragos
- McCoy
- Brandon Browner
- Walter Thurmond
- Jean Pierre L....x

The chemistry will change and a new one will have to be developed. Hopefully Chemistry isn't that big a part of the puzzle. The bond is strong among team-mates but quite a few will not make the next ride.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I have a ton of faith in Schneider. I could see DL Scruggs and Hill making a big impact next season, and the young CBs and RBS drafted recently having a greater impact.

Is rather let Tate walk than pay him 5 mil a year and have to cut Zach Miller. I'd also be willing to cut Red Bryant to resign Bennett.

morgulon1

Reaction score
JS and PC went after players that could do specific things well within the system they're running. Instead of having to go out
and draft the player everyone else wants, they could find the players they need in the later rounds or UFA.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I can see a lot of teams emulating certain aspects of what has happened here, but not the whole picture, which will be why it won't work.

As a result, I can also see those teams scratching their heads midway through a lost season and saying "But we did what they did!"

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What will be interesting to follow is the development of Pete's NFL coaching tree, which is just a sapling at this point in time. My thinking is Pete was essentially reborn as an NFL HC in Seattle... his philosophy entirely changed from his NYJ and NE days.

Pete did it HIS way in Seattle... meaning he didn't take the conventional path by berating and controlling his players. He let them be themselves and he made NFL football fun for them.

Let's see which assistant or former assistant of Pete's follows in his footsteps.

Perhaps Gus??

Anybody heard how Gus runs his practices? Like Pete? Or not.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":9d6rrseh said:
What will be interesting to follow is the development of Pete's NFL coaching tree, which is just a sapling at this point in time. My thinking is Pete was essentially reborn as an NFL HC in Seattle... his philosophy entirely changed from his NYJ and NE days.

Pete did it HIS way in Seattle... meaning he didn't take the conventional path by berating and controlling his players. He let them be themselves and he made NFL football fun for them.

Let's see which assistant or former assistant of Pete's follows in his footsteps.

Perhaps Gus??

Anybody heard how Gus runs his practices? Like Pete? Or not.

From what I understand, Gus has copied a ton of things from Seattle. Some minds I trust are just looking for Jax to solve the QB problem, but otherwise feel like that team is a couple of years from being an AFC matchup problem defensively for pass happy teams.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The NFL has often been called a copycat league. While many will look at what the Seahawks have done and try to emulate that success most will fail. What this fails to take into consideration is human nature. Most people will generally feel that they are right and that their way is the best. The most important element of the success we have been privileged to witness is that PC has been given the freedom and resources to do it "his way". With the egos of type A millionaires prevalent throughout the league in owners, GMs and coaches, what is happening in Seattle is truly a rare and special thing.

Latest posts