Just STOP with the Quinn is Pete C 2.0!!!

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
If they had some long history of working together and a reputation as best buds, maybe a case could be made, but in this case, it's a ludicrous assumption tons of our fanbase is making, and it's beyond stupid!

Seriously, a Dan Quinn run team will be completely different, other than we may have some of the same players. To just assume Dan will emulate Pete and nothing significant will change, is just a silly negative thinking thing, based on zero evidence, other than Quinn once worked under Pete. Well he has since worked under McCarthy, and what do you know, may have his own opinions and tendencies that differ from bother McCarthy and Carroll! I know, shocker huh!

I'm against DQ, because I want an offensive brilliant mind and no other reason really, that said I'm a wait and see guy on how will I react if Quinn is the hire. I won't be particularly excited by it, cuz he's a defensive guy, but, depending on the OC, well, maybe I could be...

Seriously, why do so many of you just automatically make the assumption that Dan Quinn = Pete Carroll 2.0?

Get off it, it's just a stupid take...

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I was waiting fo Fade to say Quinn would be Pete 2.0 by week 2 next season...or Pete is still pulling the strings..Pete has too much say as an advisor..Pete is living rent free in Quinns head...Pete is still the hidden coach of this team..Quinn cannot do anything other than Peteball...etc etc etc

keasley45

Reaction score
If they had some long history of working together and a reputation as best buds, maybe a case could be made, but in this case, it's a ludicrous assumption tons of our fanbase is making, and it's beyond stupid!

Seriously, a Dan Quinn run team will be completely different, other than we may have some of the same players. To just assume Dan will emulate Pete and nothing significant will change, is just a silly negative thinking thing, based on zero evidence, other than Quinn once worked under Pete. Well he has since worked under McCarthy, and what do you know, may have his own opinions and tendencies that differ from bother McCarthy and Carroll! I know, shocker huh!

I'm against DQ, because I want an offensive brilliant mind and no other reason really, that said I'm a wait and see guy on how will I react if Quinn is the hire. I won't be particularly excited by it, cuz he's a defensive guy, but, depending on the OC, well, maybe I could be...

Seriously, why do so many of you just automatically make the assumption that Dan Quinn = Pete Carroll 2.0?

Actually, when he went to Atlanta, it sounded like he copied the Seahawks way exactly in building his team and running it. I actually remember being a little envious because they were doing really well for a while implementing what we were doing, but finding more success under Quinn. It was apparent in staff and player interviews and in the style of play on the field that they were a pseudo- Hawks south, thing for a while.

So I disagree that the culture will be different, because it actually was very similar when Quinn was in Atlanta. What I don't know is what Quinn has learned since his failure there. The SB collapse was one thing. The way the team collapsed the following years was more telling. 7-9 and 7-9. Before he was ultimately fired. Both seasons, they started 1-7 before going on 6-2 runs. And both times, because they finished so well, they stood pat and made few changes. The result was that in 2020, they started even worse at 0-5 before Quinn was let go.

That to me screams 'caution'. One can excuse a SB loss hangover, especially after how they lost. And you can even cut them some slack for being hamstrung with injuries the year after their loss in the SB. But for a coach to go 1-7, 1-7 & 0-5 three straight years??? That's 2-19 to start seasons.

Critics have said that he was guilty of trying to do too much and not delegating enough of the fine details of coordination. They also said his players loved him. But being skeptical at his track record isn't pessimism. It's realism.

I frankly am not crazy about having to question whether a coach is doing enough in 'setting the course' for his coordinators or too much - that sounds exactly like what the issue was with Quinn. Question is, were their perennial season saving turnarounds a result of him stepping in, or stepping back?

And the most important question for us is - what has he learned?

2-19 to start 3 seasons consecutively. That's nothing to set lightly aside.

Welshers2

Reaction score
I was waiting fo Fade to say Quinn would be Pete 2.0 by week 2 next season...or Pete is still pulling the strings..Pete has too much say as an advisor..Pete is living rent free in Quinns head...Pete is still the hidden coach of this team..Quinn cannot do anything other than Peteball...etc etc etc
Pete will be dead and Fade will say his ghost is running the team

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

I don't think he'll be PC 2.0.

I think he'll be more like a cross between Dan Campbell and Pete.

But that's just, you know, my uneducated opinion, largely based on facial hair ;)

Bring me a top 5 defense again, please lord, and I promise not to piss it away this time!!!!!!!!!!!!

xray

Reaction score
SB 51...A Dan Quinn led Atlanta Falcons blew a 28-3 halftime lead to ultimately lose in overtime to the Patriots 34-28 . No defense...no offense in the 2nd half . His team allowed 31 pts and scored 0 pts in the second half . Biggest SB choke ever . DQ is in the NFL SB history books with that clusterphuk performance . :)

Chapow

Reaction score
SB 51...A Dan Quinn led Atlanta Falcons blew a 28-3 halftime lead to ultimately lose in overtime to the Patriots 34-28 . No defense...no offense in the 2nd half . His team allowed 31 pts and scored 0 pts in the second half . Biggest SB choke ever . DQ is in the NFL SB history books with that clusterphuk performance . :)

So given his previous experience, maybe he'd do things differently if/when he gets another chance.

Just a thought.

keasley45

Reaction score
So given his previous experience, maybe he'd do things differently if/when he gets another chance.

Just a thought.

Maybe. But after the worst SB loss in history, he followed that with three seasons where the Falcons started 1-7, 1-7 and 0-5.

Jville

Reaction score

A remarkable example of coaching adjustments by Bill Belichick. A tell of two halves. Terrific game. :)

IndyHawk

Reaction score
My worry besides the Pete in him is that without an OC like Shany he
will be a disaster.
I love PC btw but there is only one and he had years to get back to the
SB.. The more I think of it the better I feel that he has left.
I don't want another mid tier team at best or more of the same.
It's a risk and it could be ugly for awhile but the sun will shine again.
So no more anything from the PC tree for me.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Shanny screwed that up royally but Quinn was still the hc. Shanny was paid off in that 2nd half.

Boycie

Reaction score

But that's just, you know, my uneducated opinion, largely based on facial hair ;)

Bring me a top 5 defense again, please lord, and I promise not to piss it away this time!!!!!!!!!!!!
And a great run game!

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I read that he would be a good fit. And I read he wouldn’t be. So I don’t believe either - I believe both equally.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score

I don't. I just am not one to dismiss a record of success so easily as some of the rest of you are.

LTH

Reaction score
Actually, when he went to Atlanta, it sounded like he copied the Seahawks way exactly in building his team and running it. I actually remember being a little envious because they were doing really well for a while implementing what we were doing, but finding more success under Quinn. It was apparent in staff and player interviews and in the style of play on the field that they were a pseudo- Hawks south, thing for a while.

So I disagree that the culture will be different, because it actually was very similar when Quinn was in Atlanta. What I don't know is what Quinn has learned since his failure there. The SB collapse was one thing. The way the team collapsed the following years was more telling. 7-9 and 7-9. Before he was ultimately fired. Both seasons, they started 1-7 before going on 6-2 runs. And both times, because they finished so well, they stood pat and made few changes. The result was that in 2020, they started even worse at 0-5 before Quinn was let go.

That to me screams 'caution'. One can excuse a SB loss hangover, especially after how they lost. And you can even cut them some slack for being hamstrung with injuries the year after their loss in the SB. But for a coach to go 1-7, 1-7 & 0-5 three straight years??? That's 2-19 to start seasons.

Critics have said that he was guilty of trying to do too much and not delegating enough of the fine details of coordination. They also said his players loved him. But being skeptical at his track record isn't pessimism. It's realism.

I frankly am not crazy about having to question whether a coach is doing enough in 'setting the course' for his coordinators or too much - that sounds exactly like what the issue was with Quinn. Question is, were their perennial season saving turnarounds a result of him stepping in, or stepping back?

And the most important question for us is - what has he learned?

2-19 to start 3 seasons consecutively. That's nothing to set lightly aside.
I think it's a mistake to try to reproduce a Pete Carroll culture. Pete Carroll can not be replicated. The best thing the Hawks could do is to decide what identity they want the team to take on, find a coach that will bring that identity and then execute... trying to replicate a PC Culture is doomed to failure IMO.

LTH

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score

This spawned a fascinating realization…

Of the Seahawks’ 8 head coaches all-time (which includes Mike McCormack’s 7 games as interim coach in ‘82), I believe Holmgren’s mustache is the ONLY facial hair among them.

Perhaps it’s time to try a bearded commander.

knownone

Reaction score
Several former Seahawks players, notably KJ and Sherm, have shared the similarities between Quinn and Pete. So, I don't think assuming the culture would be similar is a stretch.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
This spawned a fascinating realization…

Of the Seahawks’ 8 head coaches all-time (which includes Mike McCormack’s 7 games as interim coach in ‘82), I believe Holmgren’s mustache is the ONLY facial hair among them.

Perhaps it’s time to try a bearded commander.
I've notice this ******* weird trend in the league - particularly with the rams - that the top players - QB, and others - seem to take on a sympathetic facial hair mirroring of their coach. Look at McVay this year - and tell me if I'm wrong -

**** this is going to be a long offseason.

A "Bearded Commander" - sounds like a thai street sex act - or what Kraft gets in florida :) Ha!