Breda Report: The More Things Change..

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember when I was, oh, perhaps 8 or so, I was thumbing through the Sears catalog when I came upon my favorite section. The NFL. I remember staring at all the cool helmets you could purchase. At the time my favorite team was the Vikings. I had an Ahmad Rashad jersey I was very proud of. Loved the purple colors and the Nike-looking logo.

And suddenly I noticed this new helmet in the collection. Silver with a blue and green logo that resembled some kind of bird.

Sold.

In that moment I became a diehard. I was all of 20 miles southeast of the Kingdome as it was being built living in Kent, Washington. Being so young I don't recall all the nuances, ups and downs of the team's initial years. I DO remember Zorn and Largent quite clearly as you might expect. As I grew up I watched some amazing Seahawks teams in the 80's. Jacob Green, Easley, Warner, my goodness the list could go on and on.

I don't recall hearing the derogatory term "Sea Chickens" until I was in my mid teens. At first, I just thought it was weird. A casual shrug of the shoulders and I moved on. Within a few years it became a more ubiquitous term that would make me cringe and want to throat punch the person (and I wasn't a violent kid).

As the years pilled on, I became entrenched in the familiar feeling as a diehard that not all goes to plan as you would like. The 1980s had their moments as did I. My first car was a 1967 Mustang with a 289 V8 automatic. My waistline was 1/3 of what it is today.

Did I mention I had a full head of hair?

As the 80's regrettably rolled into the 90's I watched my beloved Seahawks turn into a joke. In 1992 they managed no more than 2 wins despite fielding one of the finest defensive players (who won MVP that year) the league has ever seen. And if you have to guess who that player is, clearly you are not a diehard, thank you for playing, here's your door prize, don't let the good lord hit ya where the good lord split ya.

With the horror show of the 90s, a fat bald dude named Behring trying to move the team to LA, it seemed my life was ruined. We all know the rest. Saint Paul Allen bought the team and made the team what it is to this day.

I became a season ticket holder in 1997. I was blessed to watch a few seasons in that concrete contraption until it imploded on an early spring day.

In that time, you and I have witnessed greatness. A plethora of playoffs. The loudest stadium in the entire NFL. Moments of glory. Nirvana, even.

We have witnessed so much. Now we sit on the precipice of greatness once again. You and I can feel it like we did in 2012 when the upstart Seahawks were a year away from a Championship. Without predicting, it sure feels like this 2023 team shares a similar trajectory.

So here we go. Again. (I believe that is a Whitesnake lyric)...

Buckle up my peeps. You just may bare witness to a second Lombardi within a few years and isn't that grand?

Thank you Paul. Thank you Pete. Thank you John. Thank you Jody.

LET'S GO!!!!!!

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I remember when I was, oh, perhaps 8 or so, I was thumbing through the Sears catalog when I came upon my favorite section. The NFL. I remember staring at all the cool helmets you could purchase.

As the years pilled on, I became entrenched in the familiar feeling as a diehard that not all goes to plan as you would like. The 1980s had their moments as did I. My first car was a 1967 Mustang with a 289 V8 automatic. My waistline was 1/3 of what it is today.

You and I can feel it like we did in 2012 when the upstart Seahawks were a year away from a Championship. Without predicting, it sure feels like this 2023 team shares a similar trajectory.

So here we go. Again. (I believe that is a Whitesnake lyric)...

Thank you Paul. Thank you Pete. Thank you John. Thank you Jody.

LET'S GO!!!!!!
  • I loved those sears catalogs. It was the amazon of the day and I could spend hours looking through the NFL, electric guitar & stereo sections. Most of the stuff was crap...but what did I care.
  • 1980 Celica with a 4-banger.
  • Waistline then - 32, now...nevermind
  • I've mentioned it several times before...this year has so much 2012-2013 feeling. 1st preseaon game did nothing to dispel that.
  • Here we go...
  • Thank you especially to Paul (not to diminish the others, but...). He took a gamble and was invested if WA state was invested. The vote squeked by because of the $$ he put into messaging. He truly wanted the hawks in Seattle and to be great.
  • $%#!$%#W@! Ken Behring!!!!!!
Go Hawks!!!!

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
  • I loved those sears catalogs. It was the amazon of the day and I could spend hours looking through the NFL, electric guitar & stereo sections. Most of the stuff was crap...but what did I care.
  • 1980 Celica with a 4-banger.
  • Waistline then - 32, now...nevermind
  • I've mentioned it several times before...this year has so much 2012-2013 feeling. 1st preseaon game did nothing to dispel that.
  • Here we go...
  • Thank you especially to Paul (not to diminish the others, but...). He took a gamble and was invested if WA state was invested. The vote squeked by because of the $$ he put into messaging. He truly wanted the hawks in Seattle and to be great.
  • $%#!$%#W@! Ken Behring!!!!!!
Go Hawks!!!!

Yep, the Sears catalogs RULED. So did JCPennys. 80 Celica with a 4 banger?? 🤟🤟

Yeah waistline..Back then it was 28. Now it's...Shhhhhh....

Ken Behring, God rest his Soul, can suck it. I mean that in the nicest way.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Too bad neither Penney's nor Sears had the forsight to enter online retail in the 1990's, particularly Sears. At least Penney's still had it's catalog infrastructure when they finally entered the game. The Amazon freight train steamrolled them.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Die hard from 1986 until September 24, 2017. Took a sabbatical for 5 years, but I came back last year once old what's his name was traded. Surprisingly, I enjoy being a less invested fan, much easier on the ticker now that I'm not handcuffed to the cardiac Seahawks emotional rollercoaster. Totally agree, there's a general feeling of legit optimism that this group is going to be special. Like Mick said, appreciating the moment and the journey.

sutz

Reaction score
Sure do miss your Breda Reports, thanks for the new one.

Been a helluva journey, to be sure, and it ain't over yet.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
My Pappy was born in NORTHERN-Deer River Minnesota June 29, 1920, as a 4 lb fighter, he did deeds for Grandpa (bootlegging) but Dad was never quite comfy with doin' that sh^t as a 12 year-old, he came out west with his cousins @ 13 years old, met my Mama 6 years later, and I was an accident that happened along when my old man was a 27 year old, and EVEN THEN my Papa wasn't a fan of football, IN FACT, Pops' never became a fan of football until I became a Seahawks fan....Too bad he wasn't around to share my glee when the Seahawks finally kicked the BRONCOS' ASSES in SUPER-BOWL 48.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Moved to Kent in '89 at the ripe age of 4 and grew up watching the Hawks. Watched the screw job that was the Bettis homecoming and got pretty disillusioned with football. When they fired Mora and hired Pete, I got excited all over again. It's been a great ride since 2010. My kids were just a bit too young to appreciate the 43-8 whooping, so I would love another chance to have them share the joy that I felt that day.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm not going to tell you what my favorite section of the mid 80's Sears catalog was. I was blooming and it was pre internet.

My mom used to complain to the mailman that she never received the Sears and JC Penny catalogs.

My brother and I could time those mailings arriving like a god damn episode of Mission Impossible.

rjdriver

Reaction score
My mom used to complain to the mailman that she never received the Sears and JC Penny catalogs.

My brother and I could time those mailings arriving like a god damn episode of Mission Impossible.
Boss!!!

My mom would always complain how a lot of the pages would stick together.