Honestly, did you think we'd be here when they hired Pete?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I liked the hire because I liked Pete and what he had done at USC and the way his teams played. I was a little nervous at the fact he hadn't had the best success at the pro level, but for some reason I just had a lot of confidence in Paul Allen...like he knew Pete would be successful, so I was actually pretty optimistic.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
100%.

Maybe not exactly from the first day (though I was excited as my tag suggests) because at that time he just said he had a vision. But certainly when I saw that vision come into focus and he was making moves that I wanted - I figured it was going to be good.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I was excited from the get go. I was a closet fan of his USC mini dynasty.

kearly

Reaction score
Another reason I liked the Pete hire, it meant we were spared a 2010 season with lame duck Jim Mora. Had that happened, I'm pretty sure Cam Newton would be a Seahawk right now, because Seattle would have threatened 0-16 playing an entire season in full quit mode.

And of course, there would have never been a beastquake.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
I was very unsure at first. His first press conference won me over, though. His obvious excitement and vision for the team were awesome.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
My first thought was, well can't get any worse than it has been. Then it dawned on me that they hired a guy who had coached a long term winning team at USC with national titles under their belt. After that I was pretty excited about it and looking forward to finally seeing another shot at a championship for Seattle. I will admit though I'm a glass half full kind of girl. :mrgreen:

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I didn't really take into account his college accolades as great as they were. The college coaches that get head coaching jobs in the NFL are always the highly successful ones. What gave me a little bit of relief though was his prior NFL experience. I didn't see that as a failure at all and only thought of it as giving him a bigger chance at succeeding in the NFL. That eased my mind more than anything.

I was 'wait and see what he can do' but optimistic as well. Didn't take long to be all in though. I loved the pace at which they were moving players in and out. It seemed like we were always trying to get better. And then when the realization that each player no matter how insignificant it seemed was a strategic part of a master plan and really meant something more than just acquiring random talent... then wow. It didn't get any better than that.

idahohawk

Reaction score
Full transparency here... I'm a ND fan so I didn't like Carroll and how he ran things at USC. I was not happy when he became HC of the Hawks, but I'm more than happy to eat crow and be wrong. He is a great fit and is doing amazing things. And he truly values the city of Seattle, the PacNW, and the 12s.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Yes. I had faith and was extremely excited when he was hired. I had faith in his talent selection, coaching ability and his ability to reach a player. I knew he would have success, but I didn't think it would come this fast or this way ( #1 defense, player moves like crazy, etc.). It doesn't hurt that JS is a awesome find as well!

strohmin

Reaction score
The minute I heard his first press conference I couldnt help but think that there was no way we wouldnt win a superbowl with him.

KK84

Reaction score
I did not love the hire initially. Then again, I didn't hate it either. All I knew was that you couldn't get any more different from Mora than Pete, and that gave me hope, hope which was significantly bolstered once he started the roster churn.

hawkfansince76

Reaction score
I was all in with Pete from day one.
I wanted him to be the next coach of the Hawks, even before the hire. When the Mora experiment went sideways, I told my fellow Hawk fans that Pete would be a great hire. I got some very incredulous reactions.
I remember the SC fans howling when he was hired to take over a program that, by any reasonable observation was in complete disarray. He turned that program around and brought SC back to prominence, and in contention for national championships every year.
My weekends in the fall were spent enjoying SC on Saturdays and my Hawks on Sundays.
When Mora was fired, I was not shocked, but surprised that it happened so quickly. When they announced that Pete was the new coach, I was convinced, this is it!
He took the job, not because of the NCAA, but because Paul Allen offered him the one thing he wanted; Player personnel decisions, control of football operations; And, all credit to Paul Allen, Leiwike, and Pete for bringing Schneider aboard.
PC and JS blowing up the roster in year one, showed they were serious about turning the Hawk's fortunes around ASAP, and not clinging to mediocrity.
Granted, not all of their moves have been perfect, but for the most part, do you have many complaints?
Did I originally think we would make the SB in year four?
No.
Drafting Russel Wilson changed the equation.
Last year, I thought we were two years ahead of schedule. I really thought we would go to the SB last year. ( Ah wishful thinking)
This year, I felt from the very first preseason game, that Pete finally had all of the pieces he needed to take it to the final conclusion. This team just has destiny written all over it. I have never been as confident in a Seahawks team as I am now.
I have enjoyed the PC era as much, if not more than the Patera (new and exciting) ,Knox, and Holmgren times. It has never been easy to be a Hawk's fan, but, I'm certainly enjoying the moment.

We will not be given anything.
We will take what is OURS!!

GO HAWKS!!!

mikehawks

Reaction score
I'll admit I questioned his intelligence, had doubts, and wanted someone else, but you can't argue with success. Cutting Hasselbeck, bringing in Charlie Whitehurst, and than Russel Wilson gets the job over Matt Flynn???? Who wouldn't have a few questions? Last year I think the Seahawks had a passer rating of like 27th in the league.

I like a punishing defense over an explosive offense, so, good job Pete Carroll!

Let's see if defense does win championships!!!!

Go Hawks!

MOSES

Reaction score
I thought this:

Pete was either going to take this franchise to MULTIPLE division championships or 6-10 every year. I thought he would either REALLY work.... or REALLY NOT work.

I am glad my initial leaning towards REALLY WORK turned out. I didn't think there would be a middle ground.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I didn't like the hiring. I thought his SC teams were too undisciplined and his style wouldn't work in the NFL. At some point during that offseason, I read his book, I loved his philosophy and bought in.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Honestly, no. I wasnt very excited about the hire at all. He won me over real quickly though, beginning with the John Schneider hire. Then when they made all those transactions the first year, I knew they were for real

CharlieCobra

Reaction score
I liked the hire and thought he'd do here what he did at USC. When they did 297 roster moves the first year I remember thinking "Well, he's certainly not Holmgren, who'd stay with a player he drafted no matter how bad they sucked." When he cut his RB White, yeah i knew he was serious. What clinched it was the selection of Wilson over Flynn. Knowing that ego had no play here in the FO, only the final results, meant we were seriously going places.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I loved him as the coach at USC (my mom follows that team, went to school/graduated from there). His fire and ability to completely control and decimate teams en route to a national title was captivating to say the least. I credit him for the dominance the Pac 12 has shown as of late, as every team in that conference was playing catch-up to what Pete had been doing in SoCal.

When he got hired as the 'hawks coach I was so jacked, I knew he would do big things. The first sign was implementing his 4-year plan, and gutting the team of anyone that didn't want to follow suit. He's a master motivator and has proven time and again that he can find talent under any rock and in any hole.

Call him a cheat all you want, everyone college coach is pulling strings whenever and where ever they can, same in the NFL...deal with it. That doesn't take anything away from his ability to execute his job and get his teams fired up and ready on game day.

He took hold of a team on a downward spiral, slapped the crap out of it, and made it into a long-term contender.

Huge props.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
At first I was hmm might be good, did not think he would leave USC. And after the first season I was like well he seems to be trying alot of different stuff lets give him a chance. Then when he had the balls to draft 3 of the first 4 picks he had OL, I was like he's got balls to go against convention not trying to make a splash but get better where it counts. Loved the Cable hire. I was a little more on board. Then watching his late Draft pick develope, I was like "These guys can judge Talent, one foot on the wagon bouts to jump on. Then when I was watching the preseason with Russ, I was thinking, and even said to my Dad, " If Russ doesn't get the Job then Pete's Moto's are all bullshit. He started Russ, I was hooked and 100% onboard with whatever Pete and John did.

Latest posts