Honestly, did you think we'd be here when they hired Pete?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I admit I wasn't initially thrilled about Pete's hire (in 2010). I'm glad I was wrong. Pete and JS have done an outstanding job building this team. Basically did it from scratch too. Very few players remain from the pre-Carroll era. Off the top of my head - Mebane, Bryant, and Unger. What PC has done is nothing less than remarkable. Kudos goes to Tod Leiweke as I believe he was the one who hired Pete and John S.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I remember being extremely confused. I didn't doubt him, perse, but I didn't have a good feeling about the transition, and I did worry about the laughter if he failed. That was my 2010 season in a nutshell, actually.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
I liked Pete his one year in New York. I remember watching a Jets game with my Dad and commenting on how poised this first-year coach seemed on the sideline. Then they fired him, not because he was messing up but because the Jets had the chance to get ... Rich Kotite.

Rich Kotite.

Let that sink in a minute.

Rich Kotite.

Pete Carroll fired to make room for Rich Kotite.

That's like cutting Richard Sherman from the roster to make room for ... me.

Rich Kotite.

GO HAWKS! And as for the Jets, the Christmas you get, you deserve.

OrFan

Reaction score
It's funny, my reaction in support of him was not from his college days at all. I remember thinking "why" when he went to college from the pros. I thought back then he was going to be a great coach. I'm not a college ball person at all, so I didn't pay attention while he was at USC.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
I liked the situation he was hired in and I liked his style of play but he coached well at my one of least favorite college programs.
My wifes family are big USC honks.

His positivity won me over quick.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I recall at the time I was happy, but more because Mora was gone and less because Carroll was here. I took a wait and see attitude on that and was quickly converted.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Seahawk Mike":t1pyxuh0 said:
I pretty much thought it was worth a shot. Anything was better than Mora

Right. A 5-11 season has a way of making a fan think, "well, it couldn't be too much worse than that."

halps80

Reaction score
I was pumped and jacked! I liked him in NY and in NE, felt he got a raw deal and did a good job with what he had, and always felt he would be successful if he came back to the NFL. Granted, I didn't expect a SB in 4 years. However, during the 2011 season I told everyone who would listed that we were on the verge of being a great team, and last year I told the same audience that we would be in the SB within 3 years.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
No, not at first. I hated the hire, bought into the idea that his "rah-rah" approach wouldn't work in the NFL. I thought moving Bryant to DE was dumb idea destined to fail. I thought having a 6-4, 220 lbs CB was a dumb idea destined to fail. I thought his first year roster churn was a bit much. I thought the Clemons trade was a mistake. I thought trading Josh Wilson for peanuts was a mistake.

I'm an idiot.

Giblien

Reaction score
Did I think a Super Bowl was in our future? Yes. Four years? Not so much.

All, I know was, I was SOOOOO happy to be getting rid of Jim Mora. Getting PC was just a bonus at that point. :)

dopeboy206

Reaction score
therealsm":nxoeuoti said:
I remember when he was hired and I was pretty excited because I knew he had done well at USC, but I hadn't heard anything about him before that (I'm 16), I thought he would do really well for us, but I didn't predict a SB in 4 years.

Shouldn't you be in school? Jk

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
I let my hate/jealousy of his dominance at USC cloud my vision. I had a hard time accepting that I would now have to root for him. He made it very easy very fast though.

With regards to his success, I always thought he would have a good chance to be successful, but I did start to doubt that in 2011 when the 49ers hired Harbaugh and they seemingly lapped us overnight. I'm impressed and excited (obviously) with how quickly we were able to catch up.

As a side bar, I am surprised by the number of football fans in this thread who don't follow the college game as well as the NFL.

Polaris

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1x2rnxqa said:
With regards to his success, I always thought he would have a good chance to be successful, but I did start to doubt that in 2011 when the 49ers hired Harbaugh and they seemingly lapped us overnight. I'm impressed and excited (obviously) with how quickly we were able to catch up.

I hear you about Harbaugh, but it's important to remember that the Niners had had a decade of mediocrity and has used it to stock themselves with an impressive roster which they still mostly have. It was based on this overwhelming strength of talent that the 49ners were the sexy pick to be the NFC champions in 2010.

Now we know how that season wound up, but San Fran at the end of that season went 5-3 after starting the season 1-7 including 7 straight losses to start that season. Why? Bad coaching first from Nolan and later Singletary.

So Harbraugh essentially lucked out into a very talented roster that massively underperformed (much like Reid did this year), and there is nothing wrong with Jim Harbraugh as a coach! That's why the Niners "lapped us" so quickly. They already had a championship core in place and just needed a coach. Pete (and John) had to blow up the franchise and start over.

Of course now the Niners are getting older and it remains to be seen how well Harbraugh can retain and replenish their talent veteran contracts start coming due......a problem that doesn't become acute for us for at least another year.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Honestly was very happy with the Pete hire and everything has turned out exactly like how I wanted it too. No doubt in my mind since the moment he was hired that we would be here one day.

Shock2k

Reaction score
With so many Seahawks decisions ending in disasters, it was just my assumption that this would also. The last time I was actually happy with a front office decision is when they pulled Holmgren from Green Bay. Then it all that positivity ended when we lost Hutchinson.

I did though think the Schneider addition was good as somebody had written an article about how well they had drafted for Green Bay and Schneider was a big part of that.

I actually think Seattle fans in general hate most decisions that are made by the team. Actually believing in the back office decision making is new for us.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I felt like we were going nowhere fast with Mora, and was hoping for someone like Chuck Gruden to come here and give it a try, but when I heard that PC was coming, I was okay with giving him a shot at turning this wreck back over on it's wheels, because we really didn't have much to lose.
I felt pretty good with the way Pete re-shaped the Defense, but was somewhat concerned when they went after Charlie Whitehurst, because I figured that he really didn't know how to read Quarterback talent well enough to get the Seahawks up to par with the better offenses in the League.
I thought that Jackson and Whitehurst were band aids that would fall off as soon as soon as they were rubbed the wrong way, but Jackson proved to be a scrapper, and felt that if the Hawks could just build the Offensive Line to protect him a little better, that we just might be able to hold our own in the THEN not so dynamic NFC WEST.
It was when I saw the way our Defense started dominating, and Marshawn Lynch came on like gang busters that I knew that we were going to be a contender real soon.
Schneider and Carroll cinched it for me when I saw Russell Wilson play in the home game against the Packers and the Patriots.

Gifted1

Reaction score
Definitely was not excited about us hiring Pete as our next HC. Also didn't know anything about John Schneider..

So so glad to be proven wrong.

Latest posts