Honestly, did you think we'd be here when they hired Pete?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":261y8dz9 said:
I really didn't know that much about Pete when he was hired, but I'm sure glad they did. The Dish gives out this award to people that are proven over time to be as wrong as you can be.

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/01/24/dick-morris-award-nominee-8/

What the hell is up with Jeffri and why does he have such a hate hardon for Pete?

SC
Jeffri C. has proven himself to be a KNOW-NOTHING buffoon.

FearTheBeak

Reaction score
I was pretty tepid at the time I heard they announced the hiring but quickly became part of the 'Pumped and Jacked' club after his first few pressers. Didn't think SB in the three years but I thought at the very least this was going to be a FUN team to watch and may surprise some people.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't really understand why anyone would feel negatively. I mean I can see folks not being sure he was the guy because you face that uncertainty with any head coach except perhaps a former SB winner. Was it a UW thing? I went to UW and never mustered any hate for Pete, my disdain was mainly directed towards the less than wonderful string of UW hires.

Unless perhaps it was the NE and NY stints.

At any rate, I didn't know he was the savior right off the bat, but I gave him more benefit of the doubt than Mora certainly. Not as much as Holmgren, but that's natural since Holmgren had a ring (and it's funny that of the two, Holmgren's teams floundered around in the wilderness of mediocrity FOREVER before we were dangerous in the playoffs).

Year 1 was interesting and fairly successful for all the roster turnover, in year 2 it was obvious there was a legit plan but I figured as much as I liked about Pete, he was going to live or die based on what he did with the Quarterback situations (like all coaches/GMs do really). Then BOOM, young team in the playoffs for the first time as currently constituted, instantly dangerous.

All coaches talk about a 4 or 5 year plan, that's just to keep the wolves at bay if they show signs of sucking for 3 years. Pete talked about wanting to win right away, and a lot of coaches say that too, so I was like sure, okay Pete. I'll be damned but he meant it. We see coaches achieve a turnaround like Reid and Harbaugh, and get lauded for it, when they inherit a stacked roster. Yeah they're better coaches than went before them. But a coach capable of building a team AND able to maximize output from the guys who are there...special. And yeah JS is his soulmate and that's huge too.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My initial reaction was slightly on the positive side, mostly because by that time it was easy to see that More was not the answer... my turning point on Mora was his public criticism of Mare... and although I'm not a college football guy, Pete's enormous success at USC could not be denied.

What really helped move me to the much more positive side was the release of Houshmanzadeh and the trade of Josh Wilson... which told me that Pete wasn't going to sit on his hands with the roster that he inherited... but rather he was going to blow it up... and I wanted to see a fresh start with some youth. The Hawks had gotten old and slow... especially on defense.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawk45":vnbftdij said:
I don't really understand why anyone would feel negatively. I mean I can see folks not being sure he was the guy because you face that uncertainty with any head coach except perhaps a former SB winner. Was it a UW thing? I went to UW and never mustered any hate for Pete, my disdain was mainly directed towards the less than wonderful string of UW hires.

At any rate, I didn't know he was the savior right off the bat, but I gave him more benefit of the doubt than Mora certainly. Not as much as Holmgren, but that's natural since Holmgren had a ring (and it's funny that of the two, Holmgren's teams floundered around in the wilderness of mediocrity FOREVER before we were dangerous in the playoffs).

Year 1 was interesting and fairly successful for all the roster turnover, in year 2 it was obvious there was a legit plan but I figured as much as I liked about Pete, he was going to live or die based on what he did with the Quarterback situations (like all coaches/GMs do really). Then BOOM, young team in the playoffs for the first time as currently constituted, instantly dangerous.

All coaches talk about a 4 or 5 year plan, that's just to keep the wolves at bay if they show signs of sucking for 3 years. Pete talked about wanting to win right away, and a lot of coaches say that too, so I was like sure, okay Pete. I'll be damned but he meant it. We see coaches achieve a turnaround like Reid and Harbaugh, and get lauded for it, when they inherit a stacked roster. Yeah they're better coaches than went before them. But a coach capable of building a team AND able to maximize output from the guys who are there...special. And yeah JS is his soulmate and that's huge too.

I am not a Husky but I did graduate from another Pac 10 school. 9 years of Carroll running roughshed over almost everyone in the league made him an easy villain to distaste, especially for anyone who really loves their Pac 10 school not called USC.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Polaris":87i8vumv said:
Seahawks1983":87i8vumv said:
With regards to his success, I always thought he would have a good chance to be successful, but I did start to doubt that in 2011 when the 49ers hired Harbaugh and they seemingly lapped us overnight. I'm impressed and excited (obviously) with how quickly we were able to catch up.

I hear you about Harbaugh, but it's important to remember that the Niners had had a decade of mediocrity and has used it to stock themselves with an impressive roster which they still mostly have. It was based on this overwhelming strength of talent that the 49ners were the sexy pick to be the NFC champions in 2010.

Now we know how that season wound up, but San Fran at the end of that season went 5-3 after starting the season 1-7 including 7 straight losses to start that season. Why? Bad coaching first from Nolan and later Singletary.

So Harbraugh essentially lucked out into a very talented roster that massively underperformed (much like Reid did this year), and there is nothing wrong with Jim Harbraugh as a coach! That's why the Niners "lapped us" so quickly. They already had a championship core in place and just needed a coach. Pete (and John) had to blow up the franchise and start over.

Of course now the Niners are getting older and it remains to be seen how well Harbraugh can retain and replenish their talent veteran contracts start coming due......a problem that doesn't become acute for us for at least another year.

Excellent post. At the time I was convinced the talent stockpiled by the Niners was just over rated, especially since everyone loved Mike Nolan in his suit and then everyone thought Singletary was so tough and hardnosed, yet they continued to suck.

(And by everyone, I mean the media and Niner fans.)

rastahawk

Reaction score
Yes I did!!! Proud to admit I was one of the few that did buy in. I Live in L.A. so I knew his "deal". Not because of the way he ran USC but because of his enthusiasm and his community work in the rough L.A. neighborhoods. It increasingly became apparent that he was headed in the right direction by immediately cleaning house and introducing a culture of competition. On top of that building a monster football team that beats its opponents using hardnose football. So I can't say this surprised me. It would have surprised me if his formula didn't work.

hawk45

Reaction score
Thanks Seahawks1983, that makes sense to me. Even the guys on radio here were cynical about Pete to begin with, and that just floored me because I've heard them be completely credulous (to a point of rank naivete IMO) towards UW coaching hires and Mariner coach and GM hires. I can understand benefit of the doubt towards UW coaching hires because that program has had success in the past (not the very recent past), but I could think of no reason whatsoever for any faith around the Mariners. Jack Z got a 5 year pass for showing up, man for me personally I automatically believe the Ms hires are crappy until proven otherwise.

The Hawks and Paul Allen, OTOH, have some cred with hiring.

samwize77

Reaction score
I was excited after Pete came onboard. I knew nothing of JS. Once the roster started turning over I could see we were going in a completely different direction which was a plus. Most everyone here on .net was saying we should blow it up, and thats exactly what pete and John were doing. Great sign. They said they had a 4 year plan and every year you could see the improvement even if the record didn't show it the first 2 years. After last year...you just knew. Without the injury bug we were on our way. I think I truly believed that last year we were goin all the way, if not last year then this one...and guess what?

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
No. Didn't like the hire. When he started bringing in exciting, big and fast players, I jumped on board.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I liked the hire but was a little unsure, but you could see that he had a vision and I could see the team playing hard for him as he was building talent. It really is amazing how quickly he did this though. I can only imagine how tough he has now made it for other coaches coming into the league.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I didn't like the hiring. I remembered his NFL record and characterized his approach with NE and NY as a Gunther Cunningham-like, "Play defense and run" mentality that kept most of the scores close, but gave him too many "missed it by that much" results. Add in the fact they he planned to bring the whole USC, rah, rah approach to the pro's lock, stock and barrel and all I could do was shake my head.

I'm feeling pretty much like Jeffrii Chadiha right now....YUP! Props to Todd Leiweke for making the right choice!

OP
OP
N

Northhawk

Reaction score
My intial negative reaction wasn't due to being a Husky's fan or anything. It had to do with the fact that so many college coaches had failed on the NFL stage including Dennis Erickson who I thought would do great then flopped. After that, i bought into the theory college coaches don't excell in the pros.

Also, I agreed with all the other masterminds who said that Pete's positivity works well with boys but wouldn't work with men. So much for that theory. And the funny thing is that you still hear talking heads using that line despite the success of Carroll, Harbs, and others.

The important thing is we're here now and I'm big enough to say I'm an idiot which my best friend never lets me forget as he was a big Pete fan from day 1.

hawk45":3u1p49sz said:

The Radish

Reaction score
I didn't mind much, was tired of the Jim Moron hype before he even got to head coach so anything at the time was a plus.

The way he took players he didn't know and got them off the dime and beat NO in the playoffs that year showed me his ideas would work with pro players. Just built from there.

His USC years barely registered to me as college sports and pro basketball bore me to tears. But you couldn't help but get caught up in the hype as move after move seemed to work. If the move didn't work, do another until you find the right set up.

I clearly remember after 2 years all the talking heads still saying "he's a college coach and will never make it in the NFL". Well idiots,,,,,,you were wrong.

When we win the SuperB owl in a few days its going to be awfully quiet on that front isn't it?

:th2thumbs:

seedhawk

Reaction score
My initial thought was, oh super, probably another Ericson. Then, he brings in LenDale, and cut's his butt after like 2 weeks for dogging it. Sent a big message. Passes up Mays for Okung and Thomas. Perhaps that was Schneider.

Made some mistakes? Sure. Draft the wrong guy a time or two? Could be. But, he treats all his players like MEN, and expects them to put out or away you go. I really really like that over the Holmy you're my guy damn near no matter what kinda deal.

formido

Reaction score
Absolutely. I was incredibly excited from the moment it was announced.

I was familiar with the current research in motivational psychology, so I knew the claims that Carroll's approach wouldn't work were utter balderdash.

And I knew the analogies to other recent college-to-pros coaches carried no water since the circumstances of each individual coach's pedigree couldn't be more different. Carroll transformed a moribund USC into a phenomenal powerhouse overnight and kept it there consistently. Folks would try to sort of downplay it by pretending USC was the SEC of the west, with access to all the best recruits and sunny weather and whatever, but that hadn't been working for 20 years and hasn't worked since. Carroll did that. No one in college has done more with less in my memory. Chip Kelly is the closest.

I knew Switzer and Johnson had won NCs and SBs, so the "college coaches can't win in the pros" argument couldn't be sillier.

I knew the details of the USC investigation, so I knew USC hadn't won by cheating.

Basically, on one side was the greatest era of dominance by a football coach I've ever seen and on the other side was a handful of transparent, grasping-at-straws arguments to make opposing fans feel better about losing. Yeah, I knew a SB was coming.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
No way did I think he could turn this team around so fast at the time - but I wouldn't have thought that about most new coaches, even more proven bigger NFL names. Not from where we were starting, no way.

I was kind of indifferent to the hiring, we were at a very bad time, I wasn't thrilled or disappointed. Funny thing is, my perception of Pete didn't have me seeing him build a tough, physical type team. I was thinking Cowher, Parcells, etc type was what I'd like to see at the time. Weird how it's all worked out. Can't talk about what PC has done without mentioning Schneid's though - not sure if it would have worked out nearly as well.

And I have to say, I have never seen a rebuild move at that pace - it was intertaining and seemed real, the goal/plan, the entire time.

kearly

Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to think we'd be this good this fast, but I did like the hiring a lot. I always thought Pete's "rah rah" label was lazy journalism, "rah rah" coaches are a dime a dozen, but nobody had done what Pete did at USC. Not just dominating, but dominating with an NFL style of team in an era when the best teams were almost never pro-style. He took walk ons like Brian Cushing and made them into huge stars at both the college and NFL levels. He was also articulate and probably the best "politician" in college football. I always thought he was extremely bright.

I also liked the JS hiring. Of the four finalists, he was the one I preferred.

My recollection is that I wasn't in the minority here at .net. Most fans were "pumped and jacked" with the PC/JS experiement from day one, and the doubters were few and kept quiet (unless you went to Fieldgulls).

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Yes. I screamed like a schoolgirl wen I heard the Seahawks hired Pete. I thought it was an amazing coup and we would see great things transpire here. None of this surprises me....maybe how fast it happened.