Harvin's Return, "just around the corner"

RiverDog

Reaction score
bigcc":2ntm4kzl said:
RiverDog":2ntm4kzl said:
-The Glove-":2ntm4kzl said:
RiverDog":2ntm4kzl said:
So you're neither knocking him or ready to praise him? You just wanted to throw that out there that he may have ulterior motives and/or his heart might not be in the game

I was responding to a poster that said he "bet Percy was just itching to get back on the field", or something to that extent. I said I wouldn't be so sure, gave my reasons, and a debate ensued. I wasn't just "throwing it out there."

Maybe not your whole post. But the "heart might not be in it" part seems to be out of place with your responses after it.

Not that I feel obligated to defend my own motives, but here's the original quote that started me off on the "Percy's heart may not be in it" theme:

Percy has got to be DYING to put on pads and suit up. I say get him in AS SOON AS HE'S READY, and have him full go before we get back to the CLink. He need to be a full participant by the time he gets 'home'.

Maybe he is. But I wouldn't make that assumption. When he first had his hip examined, he had a professional opinion that had he taken it, would have allowed him to play, but he chose to go get a second opinion which recommended surgery and 8 weeks off and he chose to accept it and went against our team's medical staff. There is the possibility that his heart isn't in the game. Only time will tell.

"DYING to put on his pads and suit up" is what I'm not convinced of. I don't know why my insistence of on field proof before I assume that he's "dying" to get out there after he sat with injuries for much of the end of last season and by his own choice sat out the first half of this season is such an unreasonable request.

By his own choice chose to sit out the first half of the season. Yeah I'm sure he was just hoping his hip was injured so he can lay around and watch his new teammates on tv. And the 2nd opinion he got was the opinion of the world renowned Dr. Andrews who repaired his previous teammates (AP) knee who went on to have a 2000 yard season.

What an absurd thing for him to do!

First of all, as I've said before, I'm not necessarily questioning his decision to have the surgery. Secondly, there's more evidence to be suspicious besides that decision that would cause an outsider like me to raise an eyebrow or two, including his failure to get along with his last HC and his recent arrest for suspicion of DUI. These are justifiable reasons to question his character. Hopefully it's all nothing and he'll go on to have a very successful stint with us, but I want to see him on the field and contributing at the level we've been led to expect before I get on the bandwagon.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I believe Harvin is excited to play. But your list of concerns failed to mention Harvin was notorious for sitting out practices, and some suspect entire games, for one malady or another. To think Harvin was never a problem player is absolute insanity. I know many Viking fans. The majority wanted him out of Minnesota...even when having an MVP type season. They always felt the other shoe was about to drop. I don't care how smart Pete is, we rolled the dice with Percy Harvin.

Again, I believe Harvin wants to be part of this. Who wouldn't? But nobody should be criticized for expressing concerns about him. Those that do, I would recommend the book "The boy that cried wolf". Harvin made his bed and will have to live with lingering questions surrounding his motivation and attitude.

The above aside: IF Harvin is back for week 9....it will have been 51 weeks since he last played football. Don't expect him to be 'Percy the human highlight reel' immediately out of the gate. Tempering expectations will help to counter disappointment.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2wyrgt4b said:
Seahawkx":2wyrgt4b said:
Just imagine Tate on one side, Harvin on the other.... Screen pass to Tate for 7 yards, screen pass to Harvin for 8 yards, Baldwin 8 yard slant, lynch up he middle for 7 yards, read option RW runs for 13 yards, and finish with a 25 harder to Rice who everyone forgot about was on the field. Lol.

It's gana be some fun Sundays when Harvin returns and they start clicking.. I say then the Seahawks will be doing rock-paper-scissors for touches and tds.

No, it's more like:

Lynch up the middle for 4
Pass to Harvin for 2
Incomplete pass to Willson
Punt

----

Lynch up the middle for 3
Pass to Tate for 9
Incomplete to Rice
Lynch to the right for 5
Lynch to the left for 3
Incomplete to Rice
Punt

----

Wilson to the right for 19
Lynch to the left for 14
Incomplete to Rice
Pass to Harvin for 8
Turbin to the left for 1
Punt

Congrat's! This post gets the weekly Negative Nancy award.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
He was cleared of the DUI (marijuana) after a drug eval expert confirmed he was NOT under the influence of drugs.

HawkWow

Reaction score
-The Glove-":383lwq39 said:
He was cleared of the DUI (marijuana) after a drug eval expert confirmed he was NOT under the influence of drugs.

Perhaps, but most believe he failed numerous tests, that were covered by Urban Meyer, at UF. A coach and program that coddled Harvin. When Harvin refused to run stairs, they allowed him to play B'ball instead. When the assistant coach (Gonzales?) took exception to Harvin "dogging it", Harvin grabbed him by his neck and threw him to the ground. He faced no discipline for this act from Meyer. With the Vikes, Harvin had major issues with both Chidress and Frazier. The Childress incident "just shy of punches exchanged" and the Frazier incident on national TV.

I am very happy Harvin is on this team...but he has entitlement issues. Who can deny this? It is up to our staff to make sure those issues do not affect team chemistry or cost us games. I am currently seeing Harvin, as a long time contributor to this team, as a 50/50 prop bet.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HawkWow":2gc5mpbq said:
-The Glove-":2gc5mpbq said:

Perhaps, but most believe he failed numerous tests, that were covered by Urban Meyer, at UF. A coach and program that coddled Harvin. When Harvin refused to run stairs, they allowed him to play B'ball instead. When the assistant coach (Gonzales?) took exception to Harvin "dogging it", Harvin grabbed him by his neck and threw him to the ground. He faced no discipline for this act from Meyer. With the Vikes, Harvin had major issues with both Chidress and Frazier. The Childress incident "just shy of punches exchanged" and the Frazier incident on national TV.

I am very happy Harvin is on this team...but he has entitlement issues. Who can deny this? It is up to our staff to make sure those issues do not affect team chemistry or cost us games. I am currently seeing Harvin, as a long time contributor to this team, as a 50/50 prop bet.

I'm not denying he's had character issues or past transgressions. Just pointing that single incident out

HawkWow

Reaction score
Fair enough. And I didn't mean to single your comment out. The culmination of other posters chastising one poster for questioning Harvin, did me in. Not only does Harvin deserve to be second guessed, questioning Harvin should be compulsory.

I REALLY want Harvin to be to us what Dillon was to the Pats and I am optimistic that could happen. When Dillon left Cincy, many had similar reservations about him. He insisted he "just wanted to win". I wanted him back home because of the obvious: IF Dillon continued being problematic, all that time in Cincy would fall on him. BUT...if he kicked ass and kept his mouth shut, the blame would be cast on Cincy. I am hopeful Harvin is smart enough to consider the above. But he's had 3 coaches and problems with all 3. Players are not supposed to have problems with coaches. Just STHU, score both TDs and copious amounts of money. Easy stuff. Now help us win a SB the way Dillon did N.E.

cacksman

Reaction score
HawkWow":36e81aya said:
-The Glove-":36e81aya said:

You are a bundle of sunshine. How many threads is this now that you continually must crap on?

HawkWow

Reaction score
cacksman":1oqm8bci said:
HawkWow":1oqm8bci said:
-The Glove-":1oqm8bci said:

You are a bundle of sunshine. How many threads is this now that you continually must crap on?

Did I crap on your notion that Harvin was a choir boy? What I posted was common knowledge (to football fans). I'd apologize for making you cry and /or exposing your delicate self to such ugly truths, but looking at your avatar, I have to assume you are no stranger to ugly truths. Find the ignore button, use it, then stalk someone else.

cacksman

Reaction score
HawkWow":3kumq291 said:
cacksman":3kumq291 said:
HawkWow":3kumq291 said:
-The Glove-":3kumq291 said:

Did I crap on your notion that Harvin was a choir boy? What I posted was common knowledge (to football fans). I'd apologize for making you cry and /or exposing your delicate self to such ugly truths, but looking at your avatar, I have to assume you are no stranger to ugly truths. Find the ignore button, use it, then stalk someone else.

I'm not even going to argue with you about Harvin, plenty of people will do that already. You are continually leading the charge of every pessimistic notion I read on this board. If that's how you prefer to live life, so be it. Different strokes for different folks.

Jiggy

Reaction score
I think a lot is going to come into the final decision of when to bring Harvin back.

I think the play of other teams in the NFC West will be part of the decision. If we lose this week AND the 9'ers and Rams win, then we will see Harvin for sure on Monday night vs the Rams.

If we win and the 9'ers lose, I think that Carroll will be a bit more hesitant to rush him back in to play a significant number of downs as we will still have a pretty comfortable lead in the NFC West. Harvin will probably be active for that Monday night but will probably only see a couple snaps to knock the rust off.

Regardless, I think Harvin will be active and a major contributor vs Tampa.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
When I have watched Harvin play and I mean every play I have paid attention to him the last thing that comes to my mind is that his heart isn't in it.

The guy plays like Lynch in WR form, a Turbocharged Tate, a cheetah with moves. Does anyone remember him hurting his ankle in the Minny game last year? He looked like he was toast and he came back in! His season was over after that injury and the guy played.

Percy has to know that he is a massive piece to a championship in Seattle. He can be the reason they get a Super Bowl win. I don't want to see Harvin until he is 100 percent ready. I would rather have him for week 15 and the playoffs than rush him back so he could play for 4 games if he isn't right.

This kid is going to add 70-120 yards of total offense to this team's production, not just be part of it, pure yardage and scoring. Regardless of scheme or situation he is a threat to score and add some very big plays along with drawing some coverage. It is the epitome of "pick your poison" with an offense like the Hawks. Everybody's numbers are going to get better because of him. This kid can turn the Seahawks offense into one that can go toe to toe with the likes of Denver and New Orleans.

His heart is the least of my concerns, the guy is full throttle.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawkWow":2lcrts6x said:
I believe Harvin is excited to play. But your list of concerns failed to mention Harvin was notorious for sitting out practices, and some suspect entire games, for one malady or another. To think Harvin was never a problem player is absolute insanity. I know many Viking fans. The majority wanted him out of Minnesota...even when having an MVP type season. They always felt the other shoe was about to drop. I don't care how smart Pete is, we rolled the dice with Percy Harvin.

Again, I believe Harvin wants to be part of this. Who wouldn't? But nobody should be criticized for expressing concerns about him. Those that do, I would recommend the book "The boy that cried wolf". Harvin made his bed and will have to live with lingering questions surrounding his motivation and attitude.

The above aside: IF Harvin is back for week 9....it will have been 51 weeks since he last played football. Don't expect him to be 'Percy the human highlight reel' immediately out of the gate. Tempering expectations will help to counter disappointment.

Thanks for the support.

The only thing I'd add or modify is your first sentence. I'm sure he's excited to play, but to what degree?. Is he 110% "in"? If so, then how do you reconcile the DUI stop? Knowing that it's against NFL rules to be under the influence of marijuana or to have it in his possession, why would he let the stuff or anyone using it within a country mile of his car if he's totally committed to getting a ring?

There's lots of question marks surrounding Percy Harvin, from his injury history to his judgment to attitude towards authority figures. Let's not dismiss them just because he's wearing the blue and green.

When I have watched Harvin play and I mean every play I have paid attention to him the last thing that comes to my mind is that his heart isn't in it.

That's not quite what I meant. I was not referring to Harvin's game day, on field efforts. I was referring to his overall state of mind, 24/7. There's a lot of players, guys like Jeff George, T.O., Keyshawn Johnson, et al, that put out a major effort on Game Day but aren't totally committed to achieving team goals unless they just happen to correspond to personal goals of their own.

razgriz737

Reaction score
They just said on SportsCenter that he practiced today and will be ready for games in 3-4 weeks.

So we could see him against either the Bucs or the Falcons then?

Laloosh

Reaction score
Does anybody honestly think that this locker room would tolerate someone who doesn't put in the work? My impression is that it would not. He would be another option, not the only option.

According to ESPN, PC said Harvin is still 3-4 weeks away btw.

cacksman

Reaction score
Did ESPN actually show a quote saying 3-4 weeks or is that speculation? Seems like speculation because it's the first we've heard of it.

zayden185

Reaction score
Seahawkx":drvskxi4 said:
Just imagine Tate on one side, Harvin on the other.... Screen pass to Tate for 7 yards, screen pass to Harvin for 8 yards, Baldwin 8 yard slant, lynch up he middle for 7 yards, read option RW runs for 13 yards, and finish with a 25 harder to Rice who everyone forgot about was on the field. Lol.

It's gana be some fun Sundays when Harvin returns and they start clicking.. I say then the Seahawks will be doing rock-paper-scissors for touches and tds.

25 harder?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Carroll said in his presser today of Percy's return that he's ahead of schedule and there's been no set backs. Said it's looking good but "I can't tell you if that means a month, three weeks, I don't know." I think ESPN is going off that sound bite and running with it. If you listened to it in context, it didn't sound like a definitive statement. Just that there wasn't a timeline yet.

And he's not practicing this week, so ESPN is just plain wrong on that.

RiverDog

Reaction score
DavidSeven":21ups5sr said:
Carroll said in his presser today of Percy's return that he wouldn't really know anything until he did his work outs this week and that after that "it could be a month, it could be a few weeks, I don't know..." I think ESPN is going off that sound bite and running with it. If you listened to it in context, it didn't sound like a definitive statement.

If that's what ESPN is basing their estimate on, you think they'd say 2-4 weeks instead of 3-4, unless "a few" now means more than two.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I may have misheard the bit about Harvin practicing today, but they definitely said 3-4 weeks. Weird that they would say that.

Latest posts