The Rams are Tanking for the #1 Pick; BOOK IT!

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
The Rams are #32 in cash spending on defense, with a bunch of late round, and undrafted guys on defense, + Aaron Donald. (They rank way ahead of the Seahawks on defense, despite this.)

They have next to no talent on the offensive line, a JAG at RB, an old and oft injured QB. Their #1 WR? Injured for most of the season.

How foolish of me to think this team would be in contention for the #1 pick, right? As obviously, they are loaded on paper./s

Where I went wrong is Pete is worse than I thought. And McVay is better than I thought, and I already had him rated as the #1 coach in the league going into the season.

flv2

Reaction score
The Rams are #32 in cash spending on defense, with a bunch of late round, and undrafted guys on defense, + Aaron Donald. (They rank way ahead of the Seahawks on defense, despite this.)

They have next to no talent on the offensive line, a JAG at RB, an old and oft injured QB. Their #1 WR? Injured for most of the season.

How foolish of me to think this team would be in contention for the #1 pick, right? As obviously, they are loaded on paper./s

Where I went wrong is Pete is worse than I thought. And McVay is better than I thought, and I already had him rated as the #1 coach in the league going into the season.
This is a total mis-read of the offense. The Rams offense were expected to be in the #13-20 range for 2023...decent, but not good enough to cover for a young and inexperienced defense that figured to be bottom 5 through the 1st 10 games.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
A jag at rb??? Kyren Williams is a steal of a pick in the draft as was Nacua...so many wrong assertions...They finally got a run game going a secondary wr to oft injured Kupp and Stafford is reasonably healthy. They aren't a star team by any means but definitely not as bad as predicted on this thread.

Last edited:

RedAlice

Reaction score
A jag at rb??? Kyren Williams is a steal of a pick in the draft as was Nacua...so many wrong assertions...They finally got a run game going a secondary wr to oft injured Kupp and Stafford is reasonably healthy. They aren't a star team buy any means but definitely not as bad as predicted on this thread.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing - if you think Kyren Williams is a JAG then you definitely deserve to be laughed at.

Chapow

Reaction score

You didn't say "I think the Rams will be in contention for the #1 pick because they don't have a very good team".

You said "The Rams are tanking for the #1 pick, BOOK IT!"

Those are two very different statements.

Your original premise (that they were tanking) was always absurdly ridiculous, which is why basically everyone has been laughing at you since you clicked that submit button. You could have at least salvaged some shred of respectability by just admitting you were wrong, but instead you've spent the past 3 months laughably trying to rationalize, justify, and twist your original premise into something totally different than what you originally said.

You're just making yourself look worse and worse with every goofy, intellectually dishonest post in this thread.

Just admit you were wrong and move on.

Scout

Reaction score
What the Bucs and Rams are doing is that despite both being in cap jail for their respective recent SB victories is that they assembled competitive rosters and both have a shot at the playoffs currently.

They did so by giving opportunities to a lot of young players and taking chances with other players (eg Mayfield and TB Bucs).

The assumption that a team is tanking because they have cap trouble or they have a lot of young players is not true. And has never been true. McVay's coaching staff is very good at what they do and with the experience gained for their young players it will payoff next year. Same to an extent with the Bucs as well but I wouldn't put Bowles staff on the same level as McVay's. Although I have to say that Canales is doing more with less on offense as a rookie play caller. Canales has installed the mentality of running the ball and also being able to incorporate a passing attack with motion that Waldron runs.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
What the Bucs and Rams are doing is that despite both being in cap jail for their respective recent SB victories is that they assembled competitive rosters and both have a shot at the playoffs currently.

They did so by giving opportunities to a lot of young players and taking chances with other players (eg Mayfield and TB Bucs).

The assumption that a team is tanking because they have cap trouble or they have a lot of young players is not true. And has never been true. McVay's coaching staff is very good at what they do and with the experience gained for their young players it will payoff next year. Same to an extent with the Bucs as well but I wouldn't put Bowles staff on the same level as McVay's. Although I have to say that Canales is doing more with less on offense as a rookie play caller. Canales has installed the mentality of running the ball and also being able to incorporate a passing attack with motion that Waldron runs.
You can add the Hawks to that list. We are in cap jail by virtue of being a play-off team almost every year for over a decade. We have a competive roster by virtue of giving opportunities to young players like Tariq Wollen and Bobo and taking a chance on players like Geno.

At least that is my view a lot of "Fire Pete" people on this forum say the Seahawks are a joke and competitive means one of the favorites to win the SB but by that definition the Rams and Buccs have not got competitive teams either.

Scout

Reaction score
You can add the Hawks to that list. We are in cap jail by virtue of being a play-off team almost every year for over a decade. We have a competive roster by virtue of giving opportunities to young players like Tariq Wollen and Bobo and taking a chance on players like Geno.

At least that is my view a lot of "Fire Pete" people on this forum say the Seahawks are a joke and competitive means one of the favorites to win the SB but by that definition the Rams and Buccs have not got competitive teams either.

That was true last season and to an extent this season. The draft picks from the RW trade are going to start to pay off in the next year or two IMO for the Hawks.

Hopefully the Hawks can avoid wasting cap space on veteran mercs that don't want to be a part of the team.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Can the Rams still get 1 overall?? Just checking....
No 1 draft pick or No 1 seed? They are 7/7 same as us. Answer is no in either case
The 49ers have wrapped up the division, I think the highest they can get is No6 seed (if they win out and the Cowboys or Eagles lose out they will be tied and the Rams lost the H2H against each, not sure if theire is a 3 way tie that would see the Rams get 5th slot)

Scout

Reaction score
I think it was meant as a joke with the first pick of the NFL draft.

Anyways after last nights game the Rams look to be tuning up for a playoff run if they can get in. Their defense is making huge strides with Kobe playing next to Donald. The offense was a little off yesterday with several drops by Kupp but the rest of the performance was a textbook balanced approach with run and pass.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Impressive what they are doing this year with a league leading $78m in dead cap hits. I wouldn't be surprised if next year they are once again competing for the SB.

Weadoption

Reaction score
Stafford is still elite when healthy, that they knew back in August.
I think the bank on the tank part of the OP was the tongue in cheek headline.
This upcoming draft is definitely extra talent rich due to the first year NIL “holdouts” from last year.
If the Hawks don’t take a qb this draft, or even 2, Carrol should be shot into the sun.