The Rams are Tanking for the #1 Pick; BOOK IT!

Fade

Reaction score
The Rams are tanking for the #1 pick.

McVay knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. He needs a franchise QB to turn things around quickly, with how they sold the farm and overextended for a good half decade. It worked and got them a SuperBowl.

But then last season happened, they all got injured and fell apart. He recognized immediately there is no point in continuing down that path and pivoted to this new plan. Blow it up, move pieces, tank for the #1 pick.

It is usually unwise to tank in the NFL. However this is a rare exception. Caleb Williams is the best QB prospect I've ever seen in my many years of studying QB prospects, easily the best since Andrew Luck which was a long time ago at this point believe it or not.

Even if you come up short for the #1 pick, Drake Maye will be on the board who would be the #1 Pick in most NFL Drafts over the last 10 years if not for Caleb Williams. Both of these guys would go ahead of Bryce Young in this last draft.

Once the season plays out more QBs will emerge. I love KJ Jefferson, and he's a mid-round guy currently. He's Cam Newton, but more accurate, and actually a leader instead of a space cadet. This is the best QB class in 20 years.

We're looking at a lopsided year in the NFL, because the Rams aren't the only team that will be tanking for Williams. Add the Cardinals, Buccs, and whoever else gets off to a slow start to the list.

This is not a normal draft upcoming, it is stacked. The first year of NIL money had a lot of underclassmen returning to school that normally would've come out this year. It created a void in '23, they will now be in '24.

Due to this, teams around the league are going to be much quicker to throw in the towel than you're used to seeing. Again, this is not a normal draft coming up, and is why most teams usually wouldn't think of doing it.

How to tank and not make it look like your tanking?

Hold guys out if they have a hangnail, be quicker to put guys on IR. The guys on the field are trying to win, their careers are on the line. You just don't give them the horses to win. Injuries will be an epidemic this year, like you've never seen before, to mask the tanking. The Rams are at the head of the list. Book it.

P.S. Those Rams vs. Cardinals games are going to be hella interesting this year.

projectorfreak

Reaction score
With all the guys az lost or traded I definitely see them having a VERY off year and just what a gm would want
Tons and tons of draft ammo to re tool

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think they might have a winning record. I think they are underestimated
That would be awesome. Though that would mean we would be terrible and speed up the sale of team certainly. No Pete and maybe no John pretty scary possibility.

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
Interesting view, and I think that you're right to some extent. But players are always less likely to sit out if a team is winning. If you're losing, what's the point?

The other view is that I would never count Sean McVay out. I'm sure he's spent the off-season scheming and he'll be trying out some new things, especially since there's low expectations and nothing to lose.

94Smith

Reaction score
That would be awesome. Though that would mean we would be terrible and speed up the sale of team certainly. No Pete and maybe no John pretty scary possibility.
Not necessarily. AFC North and NFC east both had 3 teams with winning records last year

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Ryan Pol

McVay knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. He needs a franchise QB to turn things around quickly, with how they sold the farm and overextended for a good half decade. It worked and got them a SuperBowl.

But then last season happened, they all got injured and fell apart. He recognized immediately there is no point in continuing down that path and pivoted to this new plan. Blow it up, move pieces, tank for the #1 pick.

It is usually unwise to tank in the NFL. However this is a rare exception. Caleb Williams is the best QB prospect I've ever seen in my many years of studying QB prospects, easily the best since Andrew Luck which was a long time ago at this point believe it or not.

Even if you come up short for the #1 pick, Drake Maye will be on the board who would be the #1 Pick in most NFL Drafts over the last 10 years if not for Caleb Williams. Both of these guys would go ahead of Bryce Young in this last draft.

Once the season plays out more QBs will emerge. I love KJ Jefferson, and he's a mid-round guy currently. He's Cam Newton, but more accurate, and actually a leader instead of a space cadet. This is the best QB class in 20 years.

We're looking at a lopsided year in the NFL, because the Rams aren't the only team that will be tanking for Williams. Add the Cardinals, Buccs, and whoever else gets off to a slow start to the list.

This is not a normal draft upcoming, it is stacked. The first year of NIL money had a lot of underclassmen returning to school that normally would've come out this year. It created a void in '23, they will now be in '24.

Due to this, teams around the league are going to be much quicker to throw in the towel than you're used to seeing. Again, this is not a normal draft coming up, and is why most teams usually wouldn't think of doing it.

Hold guys out if they have a hangnail, be quicker to put guys on IR. The guys on the field are trying to win, their careers are on the line. You just don't give them the horses to win. Injuries will be an epidemic this year, like you've never seen before, to mask the tanking. The Rams are at the head of the list. Book it.

P.S. Those Rams vs. Cardinals games are going to be hella interesting this year.
Ryan Pol

Ryan Poles created the blueprint last year. You just cut/trade half your starting roster and replace them with trash. Most Bears fans and media call him a genius. Any idiot GM can nuke a roster.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Ryan Pol

Ryan Pol

Ryan Poles created the blueprint last year. You just cut/trade half your starting roster and replace them with trash. Most Bears fans and media call him a genius. Any idiot GM can nuke a roster.
Either that or do what Pete Carroll did and change over the entire roster in your 1st year

ivotuk

Reaction score
And if Arizona holds the #1 pick again in 2025?
Oh, they will....trading away 1st round players for a 7th round pick. They're going to "outtank" McVay!

However, if we see Aron Donald traded for a 7th round pick, we'll know the fight is on!"

LastRideOut

Reaction score
If the Rams tank on purpose this year, they're never going to be good under boy genius. Setting a bad precident from a culture perspective, one that boy genius will never recover from.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score

Yeah I actually sense that with McVay’s verbiage and the way Kroenke does business. Feast or famine

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Yeah I actually sense that with McVay’s verbiage and the way Kroenke does business. Feast or famine

Everyone thought PC was gonna tank for Luck. Didn't happen.

What happened instead was a franchise defining moment that was far, far more impactful than drafting Luck would have been. Beast quake and a win against the defending SB champs in the WC playoffs.

Had PC tanked. I think it would have undermined his coaching philosophy going forward. So if McVay wants to tank, he does it at his own peril.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Everyone thought PC was gonna tank for Luck. Didn't happen.

What happened instead was a franchise defining moment that was far, far more impactful than drafting Luck would have been. Beast quake and a win against the defending SB champs in the WC playoffs.

Had PC tanked. I think it would have undermined his coaching philosophy going forward. So if McVay wants to tank, he does it at his own peril.
I don’t think tanking works unless your GM is really a football genius who can use the windfall of cap space and draft picks to outsmart the other GMs in free agency, trades, and drafting. As I have been reminding people on the Bears forum, if you start a race at the back of the pack, you have to outrun everyone to get to the front to win. It is a 2-3 year process.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I don’t think tanking works unless your GM is really a football genius who can use the windfall of cap space and draft picks to outsmart the other GMs in free agency, trades, and drafting. As I have been reminding people on the Bears forum, if you start a race at the back of the pack, you have to outrun everyone to get to the front to win. It is a 2-3 year process.
Look back at the Colts and the famous
"Suck for Luck" campaign. They did , were awarded Lucks services only to sQuander ( capital Q) his career with a subpar roster around him . He was beat up and out of the league within 5 years I think.

So yes , a team like the Cardinals could maneuver themselves I to the top slot then F it up just like they do everything else.