Harvin's Return, "just around the corner"

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
So.. like week 9/10 seems likely and that is perfectly acceptable. That long week between AZ and STL could be huge for Percy though.

I am going to be at the STL game and since the surgery I assumed Harvin wouldn't be playing and likely against TB at home. It would be sweet to see him play in STL, but as long as he is 100 percent by the road game in ATL I am good. If the Hawks can even go 1-1 on the road with AZ and STL, they will be 6-2 with a VERY favorable schedule if Harvin is active. Those games in ATL and at NYG are very winnable with Harvin.

Wee-Bey

Reaction score
HawkWow":1vh0b7bq said:
I believe Harvin is excited to play. But your list of concerns failed to mention Harvin was notorious for sitting out practices, and some suspect entire games, for one malady or another. To think Harvin was never a problem player is absolute insanity.

Didn't Harvin play through a broken/fractured ankle against Oklahoma in the 08 national title game en route to 5 receptions for 59 yards, and 9 carries for 121 yards and a TD?

Doesn't exactly coincide with your notion of him being a lazy player that lacks motivation and searches out reasons to stay off the field.

I know many Viking fans. The majority wanted him out of Minnesota...even when having an MVP type season. They always felt the other shoe was about to drop. I don't care how smart Pete is, we rolled the dice with Percy Harvin.

Well, you obviously aren't familiar with their players:

In an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio on Friday, Adrian Peterson strongly refuted the notion that there was a rift between Harvin and his teammates.

"Oh No. No issues at all," Peterson said. "I think there (were) ... some personal things that he wanted to be taken care of and unfortunately it wasn't happening in the way he wanted. It's just kind of the business that we're involved in. In this situation it didn't work out for us or him."

Although Peterson already has been impressed by Greg Jennings' uncanny ability to get so open in offseason practices, he was hesitant to declare the Vikings an improved team without Harvin.

"It's hard to replace a guy like Percy to be honest with you," Peterson said. "But if you got a guy that really don't want to be there, if that's the case, then it's better off for the team. For whatever reason, he wasn't happy where he was. ... He's a good guy, great talent obviously. So I just wish nothing but the best for him (with the Seattle Seahawks)."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... rcy-harvin

If Minnesota Vikings executives bothered to solicit their franchise player's opinion on trading wide receiver Percy Harvin, they certainly didn't pay much attention to it before shipping the 24-year-old to Seattle for multiple draft picks Monday. Adrian Peterson tweeted about the painful sensation he felt after finding out about the deal shortly after the news broke.

"The best all around player I ever seen or you'll ever see! Goes to Seattle! I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach. Several times!!!"

"I wish my boy Percy nothing but success! God bless you homie"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/20 ... e/1980297/

Add defensive tackle Kevin Williams, the second longest-tenured player on the team, to the list of Vikings players not happy that Percy Harvin was traded to the Seattle Seahawks on Monday, March 11.

Williams said he wasn't sure why the Vikings would trade away a player of Harvin's caliber, adding that Harvin was well-liked in the locker room and some of the receiver's on-field actions, like his sideline rant to coach Leslie Frazier on Nov. 4, were misconstrued.

"I guess the initial thought of everyone was, 'What the crap?' " Williams said. "There's something bigger going on than I guess we know, but your first initial look is, 'How could you trade a dynamic guy that's part of your team?' You look at it from the owner's side, and there must be some benefit of doing it, but at first, I don't know."

Harvin shouted at coach Leslie Frazier on the sidelines during a loss to the Seahawks on Nov. 4, and reportedly had another heated exchange with the coach before the Vikings put him on injured reserve with a sprained ankle on Dec. 5. But Williams said he never saw the player and coach argue out in the open.

"If it happened, it probably went on behind closed doors," Williams said. He added, "Nobody had any problems with Percy (in the locker room). He went about his business, did his work. Sometimes, his passion for what he did on the football field got taken out of context. He was real passionate about what he did. That's good for ballplayers."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_22767351/m ... n-williams

"Percy's the best player in the NFL right now," Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway said. "I'd like to see anybody challenge that with the way he's carrying the football and the way he's really driving our team along..."

"He just taught us all to play at another level. He just did," Greenway said of Sanders. "He played at a different speed and he just teaches everybody to play at a different speed. If you're not willing to play at that speed then you're not going to make it. I think Percy's that same guy. He's at that next level. If we can all just tag along and come with him, we're going to do a lot of great things."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84305 ... player-nfl

Exittium

Reaction score
I thought he needed to have 3 weeks of practice or whatever as well before he returned, so a week before thanksgiving at the soonest we'll see him? Maybe I'm either not looking into it enough or overlooking it idk..

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Exittium":w49bohub said:
I thought he needed to have 3 weeks of practice or whatever as well before he returned, so a week before thanksgiving at the soonest we'll see him? Maybe I'm either not looking into it enough or overlooking it idk..

Nope. He can return Thursday if PC would let him play and he was ready.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Wee-Bey":22ycx5b7 said:
HawkWow":22ycx5b7 said:
I believe Harvin is excited to play. But your list of concerns failed to mention Harvin was notorious for sitting out practices, and some suspect entire games, for one malady or another. To think Harvin was never a problem player is absolute insanity.

Didn't Harvin play through a broken/fractured ankle against Oklahoma in the 08 national title game en route to 5 receptions for 59 yards, and 9 carries for 121 yards and a TD?

Doesn't exactly coincide with your notion of him being a lazy player that lacks motivation and searches out reasons to stay off the field.

I know many Viking fans. The majority wanted him out of Minnesota...even when having an MVP type season. They always felt the other shoe was about to drop. I don't care how smart Pete is, we rolled the dice with Percy Harvin.

Well, you obviously aren't familiar with their players

He didn't say players, he said fans. Besides, Harvin's problems has been with his coaches, not with his teammates. Read back some touchy feely tweets from Childress or Frazier and perhaps you'll have something.

There is no getting around it. This trade is a big risk. I don't mind taking a risk like this as Harvin is a proven quantity...we know he can play at the NFL level...and we are arguably just a player or two away from a Lombardi. One thing that our offense is missing is a legitimate home run hitting WR, and Harvin certainly fits that bill. But I wish it was with a player that didn't have the character and injury problems this guy has had.

But then again, if he didn't have those problems, he'd still be a Viking.

pehawk

Reaction score
It is indeed a big risk. It's a very similar risk to what Ruskell took in 2006 with Branch and Julian Peterson. Ruskell went against his lip-service; "building through the draft". And, JS and Pete did too.

I get the concept; Harvin is Sproles/Bush/Woodhead on steroids. It's overkill at the "waterbug" position.

We'll see....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seeker":k1j31nkj said:
Monday night against saints. where else?

I hope it's not that long. Bucs home game on 11/3 would be the "maybe three weeks" as Pete alluded to yesterday.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14kqtzvg said:
Seeker":14kqtzvg said:

I hope it's not that long. Bucs home game on 11/3 would be the "maybe three weeks" as Pete alluded to yesterday.

I didn't hear him allude to that. The interviews I heard he said... really close, right around the corner.

Link to "three weeks"?

lukerguy

Reaction score
There is another report that said 3-4 weeks away on nfl.com which is stated as fact. I listened to the entire PC interview and he never gave a timeline. He said TNF would be tough because of the short week. I still get the feeling he will be active MNF. He may have a limited roll (kick returns and numbered snaps), but I think he will be there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":9l45qid0 said:
Sgt. Largent":9l45qid0 said:
Seeker":9l45qid0 said:

I didn't hear him allude to that. The interviews I heard he said... really close, right around the corner.

Link to "three weeks"?

Someone else started a thread about the press conference

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... e-seahawks

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1gkyhgd7 said:
T-Sizzle":1gkyhgd7 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gkyhgd7 said:
Seeker":1gkyhgd7 said:

Link to "three weeks"?

Someone else started a thread about the press conference

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... e-seahawks

Saw that, but in the article it was speculation by the writer, hence no " ". Pete said nothing to make me think 3-4 weeks during that interview.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":84sm755b said:
Saw that, but in the article it was speculation by the writer, hence no " ". Pete said nothing to make me think 3-4 weeks during that interview.

Here's Pete's exact quote, you can decipher what you want out of it. To me it says 3-4 weeks.

"he was out there running in the stadium and it’s looking good, but I can’t tell you if that’s a month or three weeks, I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see."

Full article;

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... hes-close/

Throwdown

Reaction score
Pete never alluded to, or said anything about 3 weeks in his presser, all he said was 'around the corner"

pehawk

Reaction score
He's not going to tell anyone when. No reason to. Hold that wildcard as long as you can.

I have a question; with Harvin's exemption, if he we're activated would the Seahawks have to release someone if they planned on him being active Thursday?

Throwdown

Reaction score
pehawk":4p7wahgl said:
He's not going to tell anyone when. No reason to. Hold that wildcard as long as you can.

I have a question; with Harvin's exemption, if he we're activated would the Seahawks have to release someone if they planned on him being active Thursday?

Yeah, it'd be Walters released more then likely.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RiverDog":2dzo49f0 said:
One thing that our offense is missing is a legitimate home run hitting WR, and Harvin certainly fits that bill.

Really loved the signing and really love Percy as a player (although agreed about the risks, both related to injury and coachability), but for all the different things he does incredibly well, he's really not a home run threat as a WR at all.

He's a rich man's Golden Tate, or a much more versatile Wes Welker, not a home run threat, unless you're putting him on returns, which I don't think the Hawks will do given his injury history, contract, and Tate's good play as a returner (one of the reasons I was unsure about the signing, given that Harvin's value is his versatility, and if you're taking him off returns you're paying more while also taking away one of his strengths).

All that said, I still think he's the right player at the right time. With Miller's injuries and the Oline's poor performance, Harvin and Tate give a lot of options to move the chains. On three step drops, bubble screens and the like both of those guys are really, really strong, and might be able to mask some of the offensive deficiencies. Unlike Rice they're also both really good after Wilson's indecisiveness causes plays to break down and people have to find holes in coverage and get creative while Wilson is running back and forth behind the line.

Basically, with the right creative playcalling, I think he can make the Hawks offense MUCH more dynamic, but that doesn't make him a home run threat (which he has never ever been before). I'm guessing Kearse is still the home run guy, and the guy who is clearing out space underneath for Harvin and Tate to take short passes and turn them into first downs.

BamKam

Reaction score
I think it will depend if we keep winning, if we lose the Thursday nigth game there will probably be a little more urgency to get Percy back. If we win, they will probably feel pretty good about the next couple weeks to make sure Percy is 100%.