Harvin's Return, "just around the corner"

Wee-Bey

Reaction score
RiverDog":1d64656g said:
He didn't say players, he said fans.

My point. His teammates are actually familiar with Percy Harvin the person and man, fans perceptions are constructed from what they hear from the media. I put more credence in one over the other.

Besides, Harvin's problems has been with his coaches, not with his teammates. Read back some touchy feely tweets from Childress or Frazier and perhaps you'll have something.

Hardly any of the players coached by Childress liked him, something that contributed to his being fired. Frazier and Harvin had no issues other than those stemming from Harvins' complaints over the incompetence of Christian Ponder, who is now benched, and his utilization in the Minnesota offense going into the 2012 season.

There is no getting around it. This trade is a big risk.

So was trading for Marshawn Lynch and drafting and starting Russell Wilson.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Wee-Bey":1kdjz8by said:
RiverDog":1kdjz8by said:
He didn't say players, he said fans.

My point. His teammates are actually familiar with Percy Harvin the person and man, fans perceptions are constructed from what they hear from the media. I put more credence in one over the other.

Besides, Harvin's problems has been with his coaches, not with his teammates. Read back some touchy feely tweets from Childress or Frazier and perhaps you'll have something.

Hardly any of the players coached by Childress liked him, something that contributed to his being fired. Frazier and Harvin had no issues other than those stemming from Harvins' complaints over the incompetence of Christian Ponder, who is now benched, and his utilization in the Minnesota offense going into the 2012 season.

There is no getting around it. This trade is a big risk.

So was trading for Marshawn Lynch and drafting and starting Russell Wilson.[/quote]

Not nearly as big of a risk as the Harvin trade. We gave up a #1 and a #3 for Harvin plus signed him to a mega bucks contract. Drafting Russell in the 3rd wasn't near the risk.

Lynch had a few character red flags, but not to the same degree as does Harvin, and all we gave up was a 4th rounder, a fire sale compared to Harvin.

The Harvin trade is a river boat gambler deal compared to the church bingo acquisitions of Wilson and Lynch.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Wee-Bey":lmdmzyic said:

So you're saying that of Harvin's two coaches in Minnesota, save for him fighting with his first coach Childress and then b!tching about the quarterback and playcalling under his second coach Frazier, he hasn't had any problems with his coaches.

Yeah, I guess that's true. As long as we exclude both of the head coaches he has played under, he hasn't been hard to manage for any of his coaches. :)

C-Dub

Reaction score
Popeyejones":6wmi693i said:
Wee-Bey":6wmi693i said:

So you're saying that of Harvin's two coaches in Minnesota, save for him fighting with his first coach Childress and then b!tching about the quarterback and playcalling under his second coach Frazier, he hasn't had any problems with his coaches.

Yeah, I guess that's true. As long as we exclude both of the head coaches he has played under, he hasn't been hard to manage for any of his coaches. :)
I'd be pissed too with Childress. I'd also probably b!tch a lot about having Ponder as a QB. He's a stud playmaking WR. He needs the ball in his hands, and Ponder is incapable of doing that reliably.

Harvin wants to win, and he knew exactly what was holding that team back.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
C-Dub":2dawrpmx said:
I'd be pissed too with Childress. I'd also probably b!tch a lot about having Ponder as a QB. He's a stud playmaking WR. He needs the ball in his hands, and Ponder is incapable of doing that reliably.

IMO it had more to do with the Vikings not wanting to give Percy a new long term deal, and were unwilling to even discuss it until he played out his current contract.

You don't threaten to holdout because you don't like your QB, you threaten to holdout because you're not getting paid.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1w83alqo said:
C-Dub":1w83alqo said:

IMO it had more to do with the Vikings not wanting to give Percy a new long term deal, and were unwilling to even discuss it until he played out his current contract.
You don't threaten to holdout because you don't like your QB, you threaten to holdout because you're not getting paid.

So what about the time last year in the middle of the game when Harvin chased Frazier down the sidelines to read him the riot act? Was that due to the Viks not wanting to give Harvin a long term deal?

Face it, Harvin has had some troubling personality conflicts with his past two coaches. You can explain one away by saying everyone else had problems with him, too, but when it happens a second time with a different HC....

Hopefully it's all in the past. Winning cures a lot of evils, so if we win, I don't think Harvin or anyone else will be difficult to manage.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RiverDog":fgvqga3p said:
Sgt. Largent":fgvqga3p said:
C-Dub":fgvqga3p said:

So what about the time last year in the middle of the game when Harvin chased Frazier down the sidelines to read him the riot act? Was that due to the Viks not wanting to give Harvin a long term deal?

Face it, Harvin has had some troubling personality conflicts with his past two coaches. You can explain one away by saying everyone else had problems with him, too, but when it happens a second time with a different HC....

Hopefully it's all in the past. Winning cures a lot of evils, so if we win, I don't think Harvin or anyone else will be difficult to manage.

We have tons of players with issues. How is it working out? U worried bro?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":499vv9yf said:
Sgt. Largent":499vv9yf said:
C-Dub":499vv9yf said:

Well, my guess is if Harvin got a fat new contract in Minnesota, he wouldn't have been as inclined to chase Frazier down the sidelines. It's a snowball effect.

Pissed off player forced to play for less money = unhappy with everything and everyone = more apt to act up.

Happy player with fat new contract with new team = more apt to not cause trouble. So rest easy, this is how I expect Harvin to act on the Hawks. He's in a new place, with a new team, and a gets to cash big ass checks every month. No reason for any discontent on his part.

Laloosh

Reaction score
For all of the back and forth, I'll reserve judgment until he's played a few downs. While I wait, I'll be glad we picked him up based on this:

Adrian Peterson ✔ @AdrianPeterson
The best all around player I ever seen or you'll ever see! Goes to Seattle! I feel like I just got kicked in the stomach. Several times!!!
1:25 PM - 11 Mar 2013

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2gcbxwye said:
RiverDog":2gcbxwye said:
Sgt. Largent":2gcbxwye said:
C-Dub":2gcbxwye said:

Well, my guess is if Harvin got a fat new contract in Minnesota, he wouldn't have been as inclined to chase Frazier down the sidelines. It's a snowball effect.

Pissed off player forced to play for less money = unhappy with everything and everyone = more apt to act up.

Happy player with fat new contract with new team = more apt to not cause trouble. So rest easy, this is how I expect Harvin to act on the Hawks. He's in a new place, with a new team, and a gets to cash big ass checks every month. No reason for any discontent on his part.

Most players are able to compartmentalize the business side of their career from the on the field side, but there are a few where that attribute doesn't come easy, and perhaps Harvin is one of those guys. Even if I were to agree that his contract was the root cause of his chasing his HC down the sidelines in the middle of a game, there's still the fact that he's had more than one run-in with one head coach in his career.

Even if your theory were true, I'm not sure if it's the best thing to have a player on your team that is so preoccupied about money that he's compelled to chase his head coach down the sidelines in the middle of the game.

"For all of the back and forth, I'll reserve judgment until he's played a few downs."

That's what was in my original statement that started all this back-and-forth banter. Without going back and re-reading my post, I think I objected to the assumption that Harvin was "dying" to get back in uniform. I'm not going to make that assumption, although I think I'll wait for more than "a few downs" to pass judgment.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
What most people are trying hard to prove (a poor attitude from Harvin), I'll be content to say I just smell.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1b2g6709 said:
What most people are trying hard to prove (a poor attitude from Harvin), I'll be content to say I just smell.

Nope, thats just your stinky upper lip bro.

Seeker

Reaction score
I think percy is doing what rice should have done.
Percy knows with great contracts comes great expectations and he doesn't want to go out there anything less than 100%.

Think i'll stop by a team shop tomorrow and pick me up a mens #11 for myself
(and that womens #25 the mrs been asking about....)

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":38h2232d said:
RiverDog":38h2232d said:
Sgt. Largent":38h2232d said:
C-Dub":38h2232d said:

We have tons of players with issues. How is it working out? U worried bro?
You buy in or you're out--remember Houshmezata? I seriously doubt there's a playing in the NFL who's going into Wilson and Lynch's huddle and flip them attitude.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1t8x1j28 said:
I'd just like to say that I haven't even read all four of Wee-Bey's posts yet, but that I love him because of his username.

Long live The Wire.
I used to think that until I watched the Shield.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":1o2pb00d said:
RolandDeschain":1o2pb00d said:
I'd just like to say that I haven't even read all four of Wee-Bey's posts yet, but that I love him because of his username.

Long live The Wire.
I love The Shield, and was into that before The Wire. While they're both cop shows, they are wildly different and not comparable. The Wire is ultra-realistic, for starters.

Basis4day

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":180zf6cr said:
Lords of Scythia":180zf6cr said:
RolandDeschain":180zf6cr said:

Long live The Wire.
I love The Shield, and was into that before The Wire. While they're both cop shows, they are wildly different and not comparable. The Wire is ultra-realistic, for starters.

Both shows are absolutely fantastic, but are very different animals. It's kind of a shame that The Shield doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Seeker

Reaction score
I seen Wee-bay playing a cop in a commercial. Just didn't look right.