Greatest areas for improvement in 2016

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":nx1ne5bo said:
I do know that Bevell has been trying to find a back/receiver type that can run bubble screens and jet sweeps, our attempts at screens has been abysmal other then the misdirection ones to the away from the flow side of the field. I have to rack my brain to remember a typical screen set up and execution with a back.

I thought Lockett did a really nice job with WR screens last year, he's pretty much the first guy to make those WR screen playcalls by Bevell look smart.

As far as an end around burner, that would be a great role for Tyler Ervin if they draft him. Barring that, Paul Richardson would be interesting to try out there.

Thomas Rawls looked great on screens but they didn't get the ball to him very much. Seattle's interest in Lance Dunbar may hint at RB screens being a bigger part of the 2016 offense.

MB12

Reaction score
cdallan":1comt0re said:
Scottemojo":1comt0re said:
I can list a handful of screens that got blown up when the RB chip blocked to set up his screen, then was simply never allowed by the D to get off the block.

What were we trying to run for the Keuchly pick near our own GL in the playoffs? My memory is playing up.
Pretty sure it was just Lynch leaking out after looking for a block to make. Wilson threw it slightly behind him I think, lack of chemistry between the pair since Lynch's long layoff. Greatest fear realised.

With teams so worried about containing Russell, we should definitely try more screens over the middle to Rawls or Michael or whoever we draft. Would be powerful if called at the right time

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":1ne0gp56 said:
pehawk":1ne0gp56 said:
I'm actually talking RB screens.

I know. Tyler Ervin is a RB.

I mentioned Lockett since WR screens can be a big part of a running game, even though they are technically a pass.

FWIW, I see Ervin as a poor man's Reggie Bush or rich man's Charlie (Charlie! Charlie! Charlie!) Rogers. I'm not sure he's a great RB or great WR. He's definitely an intriguing gadget, water bug, outlet though.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I hope that when we get into the playoffs this year, that our offensive line doesn't get mauled by a stronger defensive line. Other than that, return of the LOB.

cdallan

Reaction score
MB12":eo1hkk80 said:
cdallan":eo1hkk80 said:
Scottemojo":eo1hkk80 said:
I can list a handful of screens that got blown up when the RB chip blocked to set up his screen, then was simply never allowed by the D to get off the block.

What were we trying to run for the Keuchly pick near our own GL in the playoffs? My memory is playing up.

With teams so worried about containing Russell, we should definitely try more screens over the middle to Rawls or Michael or whoever we draft. Would be powerful if called at the right time

Totally what I was getting at, particularly out of a spread look. NE seem to get results with them whenever I watch them. I'm sure they were looking at the opportunities left open in the middle of the field as well, but thought that was best taken advantage of by getting a big target like Jimmy Graham who Russell might be able to see better.