Greatest areas for improvement in 2016

chris98251

Reaction score
A finesse Offense never can take a game away, they can run up points but shootouts are a game of who has the ball last many times. A Offense that imposes their will on a defense and punches them in the mouth over and over again takes over a game and controls both tempo and what they want to do. That's what Lynch did and our O line did with a nasty streak. The swagger is there, the defense can feed off it and step up their game as well. Finding a way to regenerate that on offense is what we need to do. 40 passes a game is a desperation offense playing catch up most the time. You also rack up a lot more turnovers when you become more or less one dimensional.

If any fans have not learned that kicking the Broncos ass that had a finesse offense little running game and a porous unintimidating defense is the answer then we need to revisit the Broncos in the last Super Bowl and how much they tried to emulate what we did to them.

Not saying that you can't win throwing the ball 70 percent of the time, but chances are you won't in the playoffs when good teams take away your first and second options.

40 pass plays when you run anywhere from 65 to 80 a game is not balanced, also if your throwing that much the defense will be teeing off almost every play, we don't have the type of line that can protect that much without something bad happening eventually, Wilson will be hit a lot if not sacked with those numbers.

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":3ah36yvd said:
I really disagree were going to be finesse, even after last season Pete addressed this by saying we need to get back to being a more physical team.

I trust what I see on the roster more than Pete's words. So far I see two RBs at the top of the roster who both look way better in spread, and I see the team kicking tires on mighty-mite RBs like Lance Dunbar and Tyler Ervin. I also see an OL full of nobodies. Look at our receivers, a bunch of small guys who run fast. Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson are fast guys who aren't great blockers. (It also appears we have a QB who is better suited to a finesse offense than an inline smashmouth offense.)

This roster has been evolving towards a finesse build for years, and the moves and prospect visits so far this offseason indicate that Seattle is moving even further in that direction.

I think if Pete could make a 21 year old Marshawn Lynch in a lab, he would probably be building the rest of the roster around that player differently. Of all the RBs in the league who fit a smashmouth identity the past few years, only Lynch was elite. It's really hard to find that RB to build a smashmouth offense around.

If Seattle wanted to be the bully on the block again, they'd need to blow up their offense to do it. Graham and Willson wouldn't fit it. Our OL wouldn't have enough bulk. Our receivers would need to get bigger (Richardson and Lockett struggle as blockers). Our RBs all look way better in spread and struggle a bit when needing to earn tough yards late in games. And our QB's skillset is far more adept in a spread system.

I think Pete is speaking truthfully from the heart. But the reality of the limits of roster construction has forced him to make big compromises.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":2sc1lzdw said:
chris98251":2sc1lzdw said:
I really disagree were going to be finesse, even after last season Pete addressed this by saying we need to get back to being a more physical team.

I trust what I see on the roster more than Pete's words. So far I see two RBs at the top of the roster who both look way better in spread, and I see the team kicking tires on mighty-mite RBs like Lance Dunbar and Tyler Ervin. I also see an OL full of nobodies. Look at our receivers, a bunch of small guys who run fast. Jimmy Graham and Luke Wilson are fast guys who aren't great blockers.

This roster has been evolving towards a finesse build for years, and the moves and prospect visits so far this offseason indicate that Seattle is moving even further in that direction.

I think if Pete could make a 21 year old Marshawn Lynch in a lab, he would probably be building the rest of the roster around that player differently. (It also appears we have a QB who is better suited to a finesse offense than an inline smashmouth offense.)

Athletic nobodies across the OL and speed/twitch across the RB group. Add those facts with Pete's general philosophy and I think we'll get an actual, real, professionaly ran, NFL caliber, screen game.

RB screens.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":rpcikaz8 said:
Athletic nobodies across the OL and speed/twitch across the RB group. Add those facts with Pete's general philosophy and I think we'll get an actual, real, professionaly ran, NFL caliber, screen game.

RB screens.

I think this is why they drafted Tyler Lockett and taking a long look at Tyler Ervin in the draft. They want to manufacture easy first down yards with screens late in games.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":3snn2gab said:
pehawk":3snn2gab said:

RB screens.

I think this is why they drafted Tyler Lockett and taking a long look at Tyler Ervin in the draft. They want to manufacture easy first down yards with screens late in games.

I'm actually talking RB screens.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":27kyyr4k said:
kearly":27kyyr4k said:
pehawk":27kyyr4k said:

RB screens.

I cannot explain why we are such a terrible screen team. Way too much athleticism to be so bad in space. I tend to think it is partly because we have a tendency to call screens to rbs only when behind in down and distance.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":34sseb3n said:
chris98251":34sseb3n said:

I trust what I see on the roster more than Pete's words. So far I see two RBs at the top of the roster who both look way better in spread, and I see the team kicking tires on mighty-mite RBs like Lance Dunbar and Tyler Ervin. I also see an OL full of nobodies. Look at our receivers, a bunch of small guys who run fast. Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson are fast guys who aren't great blockers. (It also appears we have a QB who is better suited to a finesse offense than an inline smashmouth offense.)

I think if Pete could make a 21 year old Marshawn Lynch in a lab, he would probably be building the rest of the roster around that player differently. Of all the RBs in the league who fit a smashmouth identity the past few years, only Lynch was elite. It's really hard to find that RB to build a smashmouth offense around.

If Seattle wanted to be the bully on the block again, they'd need to blow up their offense to do it. Graham and Willson wouldn't fit it. Our OL wouldn't have enough bulk. Our receivers would need to get bigger (Richardson and Lockett struggle as blockers). Our RBs all look way better in spread and struggle a bit when needing to earn tough yards late in games. And our QB's skillset is far more adept in a spread system.

I think Pete is speaking truthfully from the heart. But the reality of the limits of roster construction has forced him to make big compromises.

Fair enough, the only RB I think right now that is a lock if un injured is Rawls, Michael is insurance and still on the show me deal, if the interest in Ervin is genuine and not a misdirection for someone else then I will concede your position, I just have yet to see Pete not have some kind of power back or punishing back in the mix, whether it's here or in USC.

I do know that Bevell has been trying to find a back/receiver type that can run bubble screens and jet sweeps, our attempts at screens has been abysmal other then the misdirection ones to the away from the flow side of the field. I have to rack my brain to remember a typical screen set up and execution with a back.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":c3hj3abx said:
I cannot explain why we are such a terrible screen team. Way too much athleticism to be so bad in space. I tend to think it is partly because we have a tendency to call screens to rbs only when behind in down and distance.

And when it was called in the right circumstance, it was to Fred Jackson. The only RB on the roster not qualified to run a screen. The Seahawks RB screen game is just a shit parade of incompetence.

They NEED to figure it out though. Not only does it highlight their OL (and sexual) preferences it would kill Greg Williams and Bettcher defenses (as well mask mismatches with aforementioned).

I think a nice RB screen game will be unveiled on MNF at LA, to open the season.

cdallan

Reaction score
It's funny, when I see us try screens I always think RW is off in his timing throwing them.

Plus, if teams are going to try to rush RW from the inside and keep their DEs back to contain RW as seems to be the book on him now, we're going to have to accept that traditional screens might not be there, no? I've never seen us try a middle screen though.

pehawk

Reaction score
cdallan":3mnwzves said:
It's funny, when I see us try screens I always think RW is off in his timing throwing them.

Plus, if teams are going to try to rush RW from the inside and keep their DEs back to contain RW as seems to be the book on him now, we're going to have to accept that traditional screens might not be there, no? I've never seen us try a middle screen though.

Everything is off with it. It's clumsy, ill advised, and depressing like two mongoloids exploring their sexuality.

cdallan

Reaction score
pehawk":jko2v8xo said:
cdallan":jko2v8xo said:

Everything is off with it. It's clumsy, ill advised, and depressing like two mongoloids exploring their sexuality.

You're not the boss of me - I'll do what I want.

pehawk

Reaction score
I don't follow how the book on Wilson is counter to screens though?

cdallan

Reaction score
Anyway, unless teams start playing us differently, I don't think traditional screens will work for us. We typically see DEs rushing in a controlled way and not going behind the QB, plus a LB spying, so I don't think defenses are throwing sufficient aggression at us for us to be able to use it against them by calling screens. We have enough speed at WR for teams to play far enough off for us to get some easy yards on WR screens though.

cdallan

Reaction score
pehawk":2p247onl said:

The DE hasn't rushed upfield, so he is in the general area of where the RB has slipped out to to set up the screen. Plus the spying LB may read it as well.

pehawk

Reaction score
cdallan":883c1efz said:
Anyway, unless teams start playing us differently, I don't think traditional screens will work for us. We typically see DEs rushing in a controlled way and not going behind the QB, plus a LB spying, so I don't think defenses are throwing sufficient aggression at us for us to be able to use it against them by calling screens. We have enough speed at WR for teams to play far enough off for us to get some easy yards on WR screens though.

Now I got ya. Good points.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I can list a handful of screens that got blown up when the RB chip blocked to set up his screen, then was simply never allowed by the D to get off the block.

cdallan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2mbx6qro said:
I can list a handful of screens that got blown up when the RB chip blocked to set up his screen, then was simply never allowed by the D to get off the block.

What were we trying to run for the Keuchly pick near our own GL in the playoffs? My memory is playing up.

pehawk

Reaction score
cdallan":2jy1x01v said:
pehawk":2jy1x01v said:

The DE hasn't rushed upfield, so he is in the general area of where the RB has slipped out to to set up the screen. Plus the spying LB may read it as well.

All true, but you can still get a back outside contain with on an easy pitch. Extended handoffs that put pressure on a defense horizontally.

penihawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2exrnteo said:
A finesse Offense never can take a game away, they can run up points but shootouts are a game of who has the ball last many times. A Offense that imposes their will on a defense and punches them in the mouth over and over again takes over a game and controls both tempo and what they want to do. That's what Lynch did and our O line did with a nasty streak. The swagger is there, the defense can feed off it and step up their game as well. Finding a way to regenerate that on offense is what we need to do. 40 passes a game is a desperation offense playing catch up most the time. You also rack up a lot more turnovers when you become more or less one dimensional.

If any fans have not learned that kicking the Broncos ass that had a finesse offense little running game and a porous unintimidating defense is the answer then we need to revisit the Broncos in the last Super Bowl and how much they tried to emulate what we did to them.

Not saying that you can't win throwing the ball 70 percent of the time, but chances are you won't in the playoffs when good teams take away your first and second options.

40 pass plays when you run anywhere from 65 to 80 a game is not balanced, also if your throwing that much the defense will be teeing off almost every play, we don't have the type of line that can protect that much without something bad happening eventually, Wilson will be hit a lot if not sacked with those numbers.

By no means do I think we will throw it 40 times a game however we did go from just over 25 throws a game the first half of the season to just under 32 a game the 2nd half when the team and Wilson had the most success. This and Wilsons growth as a passer from the spread lead me to the conclusion we will look like the 2nd half team going forward. Pete loves to run the ball and we still will, we are just gonna look alot different doing it. Throwing it in the mid 30's a game is far from a pass happy finesse team and will rank us in the middle of the pack.

As far as Denver emulating us. They absolutely did on defense but the change in offense was surviving the demise of their QB.

kearly

Reaction score
pehawk":oraxsu3t said:

I know. Tyler Ervin is a RB.

I mentioned Lockett since WR screens can be a big part of a running game, even though they are technically a pass.