Florio: Hawks done negotiating w/Adams, will tag him twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tical21

Reaction score
This is just posturing by the Seahawks, trying to pressure Adams into signing for their number. Adams is an elite defensive player. The number elite defensive players are looking for right now is 20 million per. I doubt Adams takes much less than that. The conversation starts at 18. The Seahawks know that. I still think they agree at 20, about a week before the season starts.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Adams doesn't belong on this team??? Did you even watch the guy last year??? My god, it just continues on drama island........

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Random aside, Jamal's agent had a guy last season that was negotiating a deal. The guy signed it after all the preseason games, I believe it was eight days before the first regular season game.

I suspect everything that is going on is just the agent trying to squeeze the Seahawks for a little more money.

The posturing in the media indicates that the Seahawks get this, that they aren't going to be making another offer, and that Jamal's agent is just wasting time by telling Jamal to wait.

The response from Jamal's agent is telling in that from my perspective reading it, it indicates that they know they have no leverage. The possibility of this going to arbitration claiming that he's playing a different position, well, it's laughable, because that attempt hasn't worked at all for any of the players who have tried it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
As others have said, claiming that something is final is just a common step in any ongoing negotiation. The reason this is a story is because public perception is part of the leverage both sides employ but it isn't real and it doesn't mean anything.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Tical21":2457nhtb said:
This is just posturing by the Seahawks, trying to pressure Adams into signing for their number. Adams is an elite defensive player. The number elite defensive players are looking for right now is 20 million per. I doubt Adams takes much less than that. The conversation starts at 18. The Seahawks know that. I still think they agree at 20, about a week before the season starts.

That's not how the NFL works.

The NFL on both sides of the NFLPA and owners agreed a LONG time ago when the salary cap was instituted that they'd be compensated positionally.

Name me the last "elite defensive player" that was paid outside of the last max of his position group?

If you're elite, you get paid more than the last guy at your position got paid. Which is why the Hawks offer is more than fair, they're offering Adams 2.5M more per year than Justin Simmons got, and 7M more guaranteed.

THAT'S the "hey we know you get a lot of sacks so we're going to give you more than just the normal 1-2M more than most guys get" bonus Adams is looking for.

Anything else is wishful thinking.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Sign then trade should have been done. :34853_doh:

However it will not come to this. There is no way JA would turn that much money down. It just wont happen. Seahawks really do carry the power. One year left on the deal and 2 franchise tags. This basically is no guarantee year to year deal. Retarded move by the agent if they actually do this.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Appyhawk":rjyynvs3 said:
Seems to me us having Amadi for nickle and Blaire for safety Adam's leverage is on thin ice. Those guys are both better in coverage than Adams.

Yep, love Adams, hope he signs his extension.................But I'm just fine with playing Blair, Neal and Amadi.

Now Brown holding out? I'm PETRIFIED.

flv

Reaction score
With a month or so before the season this is a negotiating ploy. The Seahawks are experienced, skilled financial negotiators. Adams, (as a negotiator), is an inexperienced, egotistical, blow-hard, who will no doubt complain about unfairness and anything else he can think of. His best card was to force an extension during his 4th rookie-deal year when his valuation was at its highest and his, (potentially lost), pay was at its lowest. He has wasted that opportunity. Financially Adams is in a weak position facing a 5th year option - tag - tag scenario, a below market value extension, or a hold-out in which he'd lose significant money.

It's not risk free for the Seahawks. It strengthens the negotiating hand for other players who might be tag targets and it doesn't put the Seahawks in a good light with potential future free agents. However, over a long period of time the Seahawks have shown themselves to be amongst the NFL's elite when it comes to contract negotiations and you can't win at poker if you aren't willing to bluff and lose a big pot.

Adams is a very good player. I'm not his biggest fan. He deserves an extension. I'm not surprised at the current situation. I think it gets resolved by Week 3 latest, (assuming Adams' ego doesn't get in the way).

CPHawk

Reaction score
2 million is all them at separates them from a deal? Adams could make that up by landing a commercial with Lumin or some other company that Pete could hook him up with. Seems like a dumb move to not figure a way out to get this done. Unless he doesn’t want to be here.

John63

Reaction score
CPHawk":14i2wk4l said:
2 million is all them at separates them from a deal? Adams could make that up by landing a commercial with Lumin or some other company that Pete could hook him up with. Seems like a dumb move to not figure a way out to get this done. Unless he doesn’t want to be here.

I am betting this gets done adn then Brown will get done

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There are comments here that fail to recognize how good a player Adams is. He is a legit Pro Bowl quality S, he's been one every year he's been in the NFL.

Both sides are taking their hard line negotiating positions which will soften when reality kicks in. Adams will sign and will become the top paid S in the NFL (for now). The team could save money by franchising Adams x 2 or by transition tagging him year 2 and matching. Adams is not a franchise OLB or DE so he won't win with a grievance of the positional franchise tags either. My bet is that Adams is not ever tagged by the team.

Being $2 million apart for a 5 year deal is $500 K per year. I think both sides will figure this out with bonus $ for performance sweeteners or Adams won't be getting his bonus money any time soon.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
One thing about being an old F&&* is I've lived through so many contract demands and holdouts I just don't worry at all. Things get done when they get done. Most of us here lived through 3 years of Walter Jones drama. I could go down the list ... Joey Galloway... Jacob Green .... Kam, Earl .... etc. etc. etc......

Who's right? Who's wrong? Who knows!

Own The West

Reaction score
I feel like this is a best-case scenario actually.

These next three years will cost us $9.86M, $13.5M, and 16.26M. Or 3yr at $13.2M per with $0 guaranteed vs the offered 4yr at $17.5M per with $38M guaranteed.

Since Adams hasn't shown a ton of maturity thus far in his career this checks a bunch of boxes for me:
1) If he wants to "get paid" he's going to have to ball out each of his three years here and if quits, pouts, holds out, whines, or turns into a cancer -- his market value plummets.
2) I was worried if he got a long-term deal he would dog it for the interim and then turn it up in his contract year. Not any more!
3) He's developing an injury history. We were going to guarantee him as much as he'll make over the next 3 years. Now we don't have any of those dead cap concerns.

AND if we decide to trade him, we won't have to worry about a fat contract or dead money working against us.

This is a win-win for everyone! (Except Adams, but w/e he chose this.)

hawks85

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2l1kkln2 said:
Adams doesn't belong on this team??? Did you even watch the guy last year??? My god, it just continues on drama island........
Take the sacks away and what do you have. A below average DB who can't cover, yeah I said it. That Ryan Neal Int on Saturday, Adams doesn't catch that it. Yup, I like Neal better than Adams. Adams is a glorified diva and I never liked that dude.

hawks85

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":h2z52w8b said:
Flyingsquad23":h2z52w8b said:
Considering the season is still weeks away and nothing from the team or Adams it’s perfectly reasonable to conclude it’s a terrible trade… you Pitt are an absolute genius and the only prognosticator I will listen to from now on

It was a terrible trade from the outset but you dont need to listen to me, just keep acting surprised when that disappointment sets in.
I'm glad someone on here sees the same thing I do. This was a horrible horrible trade.

hawks85

Reaction score
knownone":1wmlp345 said:
hawks85":1wmlp345 said:
I've tried to tell people this and they didn't listen. This is the worst trade in Seahawks history. Adams doesn't belong on this team.
Why? If they tag him twice, the worst-case scenario is they get 4 years from all-pro safety, at below market value.

I'm not sure how this could top Harvin unless they trade Adams in a week for a 7th round pick.
Followed by extreme drama from adams. The dude is a diva.

keasley45

Reaction score
hawks85":2kehzpbr said:
knownone":2kehzpbr said:
hawks85":2kehzpbr said:
I've tried to tell people this and they didn't listen. This is the worst trade in Seahawks history. Adams doesn't belong on this team.
Why? If they tag him twice, the worst-case scenario is they get 4 years from all-pro safety, at below market value.

I'm not sure how this could top Harvin unless they trade Adams in a week for a 7th round pick.
Followed by extreme drama from adams. The dude is a diva.

He might be, but so was Sherman. So was Thomas. And let's not forget that the darling of the LOB, chancellor, held out into the regular season. So I'm not quite ready to cast the guy out of the garden just because he carries himself a certain way. Is it my preference? No. But it's not for me to judge.

As to the line in the sand. It doesn't necessarily mean that the sides are at odds. Could simply be that Jamal's side is posturing and willing to push things to the close of preseason. But the Hawks are making it clear the numbers won't move at all so that they can begin negotiating Brown's extension against real figures. I think they see that deal as one that they really can't afford to not do now.

As far as the trade for Adam's - extension drama isn't the kind of stuff to base his value on. The dude was a pro bowler last year in his first season on the team. If he gets better over the next 2 or 3 seasons, nobody's gonna be crying over the low first round draft picks we didn't have a chance to screw up over the coming years.

Too soon to tell any of it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawks85":3e50mnlk said:
SoulfishHawk":3e50mnlk said:
Take the sacks away and what do you have. A below average DB who can't cover, yeah I said it. That Ryan Neal Int on Saturday, Adams doesn't catch that it. Yup, I like Neal better than Adams. Adams is a glorified diva and I never liked that dude.
\

Take the sacks away? Lol, that's like saying take the TD passes away from Russell.

Adams is a top 10, if not top 5 defender in the NFL, and adds a much needed physicality and edge to the defense. A defense that had been SEVERELY lacking those things the past 4-5 years.

Was it a desperate trade? Yep, that's what happens when you fail at accumulating playmakers through the draft, you have to overpay for them.

But that doesn't mean this can't work out for both sides if he signs his deal and continues to be the defensive playmaker we need him to be for the next 4-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.