Florio: Hawks done negotiating w/Adams, will tag him twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
More than a week after making reportedly a final offer to the fifth-year safety and with no plans to budge, a league source tells PFT that the team is truly done negotiating with Adams. They believe they’re made a fair and appropriate offer, and that if he doesn’t want to accept it, he can play out his option year and get franchise-tagged twice, for 2022 and 2023.
As recently noted, Adams will make $9.86 million this year under the fifth-year option. The franchise tag for safeties is projected to be $13.5 million in 2022. That then becomes a franchise tag in 2023 of $16.26 million. The Seahawks are presently content to pay him one year at a time, with the understanding that, after three years, he’ll become an unrestricted free agent. (They could still apply the transition tag in 2024, at a 20-percent raise over his 2023 salary. That would preserve their right to match any offer sheet he signs with a new team. A third franchise tag would become far too expensive, since it spikes to basically the quarterback tag.)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... f-need-be/

seabowl

Reaction score
Both sides are wrong in this one. Adam’s for taking this ridiculous stance and Hawks front office for knowing they were trading away large draft capital for a guy that has shown this in the past. Biggest issue for Hawks is if they can’t sign Metcalf then they would have to choose between him and Adam’s as to who to tag when the time comes.

John63

Reaction score
seabowl":21q6940t said:
Both sides are wrong in this one. Adam’s for taking this ridiculous stance and Hawks front office for knowing they were trading away large draft capital for a guy that has shown this in the past. Biggest issue for Hawks is if they can’t sign Metcalf then they would have to choose between him and Adam’s as to who to tag when the time comes.

I agree.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
His agents severely overplayed their hand here.
If he were smart, he’d fire them on the spot.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hard to believe that some didnt see this coming. Horrible trade.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Considering the season is still weeks away and nothing from the team or Adams it’s perfectly reasonable to conclude it’s a terrible trade… you Pitt are an absolute genius and the only prognosticator I will listen to from now on

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Florio is fairly reliable so this is likely the case. Is this the right decision for Seattle yes. No reason to overspend on Safety especially one with his injury history and coverage issues. I would not be surprised if Adams does in fact sign but he's going to find a very cold fan base if he decides to hold out into the regular season. They have a certain LT that is far more important to this team at a far more important position that they have to extend.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2jqw8bug said:
Considering the season is still weeks away and nothing from the team or Adams it’s perfectly reasonable to conclude it’s a terrible trade… you Pitt are an absolute genius and the only prognosticator I will listen to from now on

It was a terrible trade from the outset but you dont need to listen to me, just keep acting surprised when that disappointment sets in.

RiverDog

Reaction score
seabowl":wrp5kzko said:

That's the elephant in the room. As we all know, we can only tag one player, so using it on Adams takes away an important leverage tool in negotiations with other valuable players, like Metcalf or some other young player that has a huge breakout year (Brooks, Green, Collier?), that we want to resign. This stalemate with Adams could have implications up and down the roster. It could destroy the team.

When the trade happened, I trusted Pete on it. I trusted that he knew his defense and the types of players he thinks will fit into it, and if he thought that Adams was worth two #1 and a #3, I was good with it. I also trusted both him and JS that they would not push all their chips to the center of the table unless they had a very good gentleman's agreement with Adams and his agent on the parameters of a new contract, that it wouldn't come to this.

That's one of the reasons why I'm saying that this is a pivotal season with regards to my support for the current regime. If we can't make a strong push for the SB and instead continue in our mediocre ways while embarking on foolish trades like this one with Adams, then I'm off the bandwagon.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I think it's still too soon to draw judgments on this trade, and given some of our recent draft classes, there's hardly any guarantee we'd end up with anything other than mediocre talent. The ending to this saga hasn't been written yet, and I'm optimistic he'll get with the program soon. My bigger concern is whether he can stay healthy for 17 games. Stay tuned.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1lmzii73 said:
I think it's still too soon to draw judgments on this trade, and given some of our recent draft classes, there's hardly any guarantee we'd end up with anything other than mediocre talent. The ending to this saga hasn't been written yet, and I'm optimistic he'll get with the program soon. My bigger concern is whether he can stay healthy for 17 games. Stay tuned.

I completely agree. There's a good possibility that Adams will cave, that he'll sign within the next few weeks, that he stays healthy and plays well, and everything turns out peachy keen. But at this point, it doesn't look good, and I'd hate to bet very much money that we'll have a positive outcome.

Like you said, stay tuned.

uncle fester

Reaction score
It's entirely believable given Adams' faith in himself and the FO's history in not budging on final-offer new deals.

While I do enjoy Florio's site, he doesn't exactly bat a thousand on 'insider' scoops, so I might wait a while before looking toward that big, shiny panic button.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm inclined to say that Florio is talking out of his ass and pulling his usual shtick, which is repackaging old news and putting a more inflammatory spin on it (like adding the double franchise tag tidbit) and then quoting an unnamed source.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yikes. It honestly makes me sad seeing it come to this.
Adams and his team need to take a step back here.

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for 'em.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":15nzk5rr said:
Flyingsquad23":15nzk5rr said:

It was a terrible trade from the outset but you dont need to listen to me, just keep acting surprised when that disappointment sets in.

1. It's almost a full month before the season starts. Plenty of time for Adams to come to his senses.

2. Even the most stubborn player isn't going to sit out regular season games, miss game checks and also risk getting franchises for a year or two at 4-5M less than the current offer.

3. Adams wouldn't be playing or even practicing very much right now anyway, he's coming off two surgeries. He and his agent know that, so they're perfectly willing to play chicken with the Hawk's FO until we get closer to the season starting. At which point once Schneider gives them the ultimatum of taking the deal or he's pulling it like he did with both Kam and Marshawn 5-6 years ago?...................He'll take the deal.

You want to worry, worry about Brown. Did you see Forsythe? He was awful and got Geno concussed. Brown's shown he IS willing to sit out games to get a new deal or get traded. He's not messing around.

THAT'S the contract I'm worried about. Russell's going to get killed if we have to start Forsythe at LT when the season starts.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39i30ff0 said:
You want to worry, worry about Brown. Did you see Forsythe? He was awful and got Geno concussed. Brown's shown he IS willing to sit out games to get a new deal or get traded. He's not messing around.

THAT'S the contract I'm worried about. Russell's going to get killed if we have to start Forsythe at LT when the season starts.

Yes, I saw Forsythe, and it was scary to think of Russell being in there at the same time he's at LT. But at this point, Forsythe is our 4th option as Jones and Ogbuehi were both injured and didn't play. Nevertheless, I agree that Brown is the priority. We can afford to lose Adams, but protecting the franchise QB's blind side is every team's top priority.

I'd bet good money that we won't see Forsythe in their during the next two preseason games at the same time Russell is, or if he is, Russ won't be taking any 7 step drops.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":1puoz6xh said:
Sgt. Largent":1puoz6xh said:

Yes, I saw Forsythe, and it was scary to think of Russell being in there at the same time he's at LT. But at this point, Forsythe is our 4th option as Jones and Ogbuehi were both injured and didn't play. Nevertheless, I agree that Brown is the priority. We can afford to lose Adams, but protecting the franchise QB's blind side is every team's top priority.

I'd bet good money that we won't see Forsythe in their during the next two preseason games at the same time Russell is, or if he is, Russ won't be taking any 7 step drops.

We have no choice, until Jamarco Jones is healthy Forsythe has to start. There is no one else.

So my guess is we won't see Russell until the 3rd preseason game, and only for a series.

My point is everyone's worried about the wrong hold out, Adams will sign, he's an idiot if he doesn't take this deal. This O-line without Brown is scary bad and thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.