The Jamal Adams trade in retrospect

Jville

Reaction score
Personally, I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. JAdams still has opportunity to make it all worthwhile. I'm happy to concede that's not a probable outcome. However, there's also not really anything anyone can do to change the past. ...so I'm hoping it turns out well in the end.
Here's a question: What would he have to do this season for you to be OK with the trade?

I think fans have long since become locked in to their views. For most, those locked in views will remain the same no matter how the Jamar Adams story plays out.

flv2

Reaction score
Please do Shanahan just did. Personally I live in KCMO and noticed we are paying 17 million for a safety. One that doesn't fit our scheme and never needed in the first place yeah. And wait for it...we refused to pay ET 12-14 you better believe the hate is real and growing. Both are serious overpays but ET might have been worth it Jamal never was or will be it's almost as bad as Trevor. It's flat ridiculous that SF actually could trade him but this should tell JS needs to get off his ass and start drafting real quarterbacks any chance he gets.
You're not paying $17M+ for Adams. You're paying $11M for Adams. The rest of the cap hit is money the team chose to not cap account for earlier.That differential has to be accounted for now regardless of whether Adams is on the roster or not.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I always thought the price was steep but I also believe JA is a first ballot HOF'er if not for injuries so I had zero problem with the trade.

I also don't agree with JA being a malcontent. I actually believe he is well liked and wanted out of NY because they were a dumpster fire and wanted to win. The fact that Diggs takes up for him says it all.
Malcontent- dissatisfied and complaining or making trouble.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Personally, I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. JAdams still has opportunity to make it all worthwhile. I'm happy to concede that's not a probable outcome. However, there's also not really anything anyone can do to change the past. ...so I'm hoping it turns out well in the end.
Here's a question: What would he have to do this season for you to be OK with the trade?
Be DPOY for a start. I just want him and that horrible contract gone and Pete/JS to stop the "lets get a shiny new toy" thing and if you must overpay do it for a position of relevance like DT/DE it's a passing league now, so step one stop the dsmn quarterback.

Safeties like running backs can be found everywhere but good NT/DEs not so much.

But LRO pretty much nailed my thoughts concerning the question.

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
It all boils down to what we can salvage and properly scheme of his remaining talents and athletic ability before we cast him off and eat the remainder of what we're financially committed to. I hope we can salvage something of him. I hope he does have some situational impact for our D this year. I'm not putting much emotional stock in it though. How could I? He can't stay on the field, he's undersized near the line, he's not strong in coverage, and he may never regain the gizmo that we traded for in the first place.

We're managing our losses on the trade now. Simple as that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Because at the time the trade was made, no one could have known he’d end up frequently injured. Trades are decided based on what’s known at the time.

Jamal played lights out the first season he was here. He not only got a ton of sacks, he was a presence that the offense constantly had to account for on the field. Had he stayed healthy and continued to play at that level, no one would be complaining right now. So no, the trade itself wasn’t bad, the unfortunate injury history is what’s bad.

There's a disconnect here I'm not sure we can get past.

Lots of people, including myself were all for this trade when it went down. That literally has nothing to do with whether it ended up a good or bad trade.

You're throwing out a bunch of hind sight hypotheticals that didn't happen. Adams didn't stay healthy. Adams didn't live up the contract.

It was terrible trade. It's OK to admit it. Some of you guys are bobbing and weaving through the facts trying to satiate yourselves into thinking the trade was good? I don't even know at this point.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Pete is building the defense correctly the priority is pass rush and secondary but why it went wrong is Jamal isn't a safety and Earl isn't easy to find hence like running backs you don't ever pay safeties big money it's flat stupid and the greatest reason that I hate him and moreso that ridiculous contract. You kind have to take your chances on rush defense given the current rules and hope you get a defense that is adequate against the run while focusing on the pass.

RiverDog

Reaction score
With 3 seasons already in the rear-view mirror, one of which his play was very substandard and the other being injured, it's almost impossible for him to make up that much ground in one season. That's how bad I view this trade as being.

But to answer your question, he would have to start 90% of the games, play at a DPOY level, our defense would have to be top 3, and we would have to go to the NFCCG.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
With 3 seasons already in the rear-view mirror, one of which his play was very substandard and the other being injured, it's almost impossible for him to make up that much ground in one season. That's how bad I view this trade as being.

But to answer your question, he would have to start 90% of the games, play at a DPOY level, our defense would have to be top 3, and we would have to go to the NFCCG.
Yeah I might be convinced if he was league MVP and we make SB otherwise please get out and stop stealing money.

RiverDog

Reaction score
He can absolutely get to the QB and he can absolutely help with run defense. Let him do that.
He might be and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but I wouldn't be so dang sure of myself. In his last full...or semi full...season...in which we saw sustained play by Adams, he didn't record a single sack.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Dang sure of myself? I'm talking about Adams and what he COULD bring to the table. I'm putting no assurances or guarantees out there. I just know what he's capable of.
Never mind, it's just beaten horse over and over again. I have my opinion, you have yours, and that's great.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
He can absolutely get to the QB and he can absolutely help with run defense. Let him do that.
I have for 3 years I'd rather have a safety that actually is s safety and pay a couple really fat guys make our linebackers day.

Soulfish I really respect you I'm not trying to argue but I believe differently and want a different direction. I think I understand what they're trying but it's really risky and I'm not bought in currently. But I'm willing to see 3-4 games before I get really angry.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
For a 2020 player we traded a 2021 and 2022 first pick, and finished 12-4 in the first year, so effectively gave up the 23rd overall pick the following year, plus sadly a high pick in 2022 after we had a poor year (driven primarily by Wilson's broken finger). If Wilson stays fit and we end up with a sub 20 pick again, I think even with Adams' injuries, you are probably happy with the trade.

I mean, first round picks by Seattle outside of the top 20 by PC/JS are: James Carpenter, Germain Ifedi, Rashaad Penny, LJ Collier, and Jordyn Brooks.

Adding in some of the guys we traded down into top half of 2nd round? You can add Malik McDowell to that list.

So would you rather have Jamal Adams or any combination of 2 players from the above? Because effectively that's the value we gave up when we traded for him

If the FO didnt do such a poor job drafting with those names given above would you still be asking that question? Adams insane contract is still way more than all of those picks combined too.

Also as mentioned earlier, I dont think most of us was for that trade. I know I wasnt. Team needed defensive end rushers, not a safety. Adams was nothing more than a cute, luxury pick and nothing more. Hopefully Pete learned his lesson within that aspect.

Last edited:

Hawkmode

Reaction score
Injuries are always the wild card that sometimes plague the best of what if's/could of's. The defense that Pete/Clint are trying to implement would thrive with a Jamal Adams type player playing a significant role. A player cannot undo the hand of fate dealt in his recent past...but Jamal now has a significant chip of motivation to silence those who mockingly ridicule him as a "wasted" player/resource. A healthy Jamal (always a consideration for NFL players) can play a key role in elevating our defensive schemes...to take advantage of an explosive offense (still trending even higher in 2023 expectation).

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Because at the time the trade was made, no one could have known he’d end up frequently injured. Trades are decided based on what’s known at the time.

Jamal played lights out the first season he was here. He not only got a ton of sacks, he was a presence that the offense constantly had to account for on the field. Had he stayed healthy and continued to play at that level, no one would be complaining right now. So no, the trade itself wasn’t bad, the unfortunate injury history is what’s bad.

Just a reminder, when Adams was playing lights out and was such a presence that opposing offenses had to account for as you claim he was, those same opposing offenses were carving that defense up with historical numbers until mid-season when Dunlap was acquired.

Adams presence on the field didnt have the effect that you believe it did. Yeah, he can sack the QB really well for a safety, but that leaves the secondary handcuffed at the same time. Is rushing the QB what you want to use your safety for? Carroll even saw that his gamble failed and had to go get what he truly needed in the first place.

Adams is a misfit of a player and it was one of the worst trades ever.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
If the FO didnt do such a poor job drafting with those names given above would you still be asking that question? Adams insane contract is still way more than all of those picks combined too.

Also as mentioned earlier, I dont think most of us was for that trade. I know I wasnt. Team needed defensive end rushers, not a safety. Adams was nothing more than a cute, luxury pick and nothing more. Hopefully Pete learned his lesson within that aspect.

I think the Adam's trade was far more about the complete whiffs at safety post LOB, like Lano Hill and Tedrick Thompson....and throw in Flowers and Amadi for good measure.

These draft pick failures led to the desperation of the need to make a trade like Adams.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

He's a safety though Soul. Is that what you want your safety to be doing in a pass heavy league? Why not leave rushing the QB and stopping the run to the players whose job that actually is?