The Jamal Adams trade in retrospect

seabowl

Reaction score
Not to rehash this trade as it is not worked out for Seattle, however I was reflecting on what the Jets got in this deal.

Alijah, Vera Tucker- yes, I know he was not picked exactly at the spot that we gave the Jets the pic, but it did enable the Jets to get him. He is rated as one of the premier guards in the league right now after just two years

Garrett Wilson- after just one year he has become probably a top five wide receiver in the league. Barring injury, he should absolutely explode this year with Rogers throwing to him.

Shedding a malcontent- it was made abundantly clear that Adams did not want to play for the Jets. This typically hurts the team that is trying to trade him as they don’t have a lot of leverage. However, somehow someway they were able to pluck 2 first round picks from us while also not having to pay a huge contract extension.

Again not to look at the negative on this trade, but my Lord, the Jets did incredibly well.

Adams better play lights out this year when he is back!

bileever

Reaction score
I don't think it's just with the benefit of hindsight that this deal has been criticized. At the time of the deal, many of us were excited to get Jamal Adams, but most of us felt the price was too high.

At the time of the trade, the Jets were over a barrel. Adams didn't want to play there, and he wanted a big contract. The Jets were clearly going to move him. Also, because of positional value, no one thought that two first-round picks made sense. Finally, why didn't the trade come with a deal with Adams already in place? Failing to get a deal in place ahead of time meant that Schneider was dealing from a position of weakness when it came time to make a deal with Adams. It was like the Sheldon Richardson deal all over again.

If Adams was traded for a first and a third, no reasonable person would be complaining, even with Adams' injury history so far.

Rat

Reaction score
I still want to know who we were bidding against. I can't imagine anyone else was offering close to what we traded.

Ruled out for week 1 too. It's the trade that keeps on giving.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think it's just with the benefit of hindsight that this deal has been criticized. At the time of the deal, many of us were excited to get Jamal Adams, but most of us felt the price was too high.

At the time of the trade, the Jets were over a barrel. Adams didn't want to play there, and he wanted a big contract. The Jets were clearly going to move him. Also, because of positional value, no one thought that two first-round picks made sense. Finally, why didn't the trade come with a deal with Adams already in place? Failing to get a deal in place ahead of time meant that Schneider was dealing from a position of weakness when it came time to make a deal with Adams. It was like the Sheldon Richardson deal all over again.

If Adams was traded for a first and a third, no reasonable person would be complaining, even with Adams' injury history so far.

Just because most of us were for the trade, doesn't mean it didn't turn out to be a awful trade.

You guys keep trying to parse and excuse away the things that matter. Picks, cap hit, culture, on field play. It's all bad man...........and yes even for a 1st and 3rd. Even one 1st was too much in hindsight.

themunn

Reaction score
For a 2020 player we traded a 2021 and 2022 first pick, and finished 12-4 in the first year, so effectively gave up the 23rd overall pick the following year, plus sadly a high pick in 2022 after we had a poor year (driven primarily by Wilson's broken finger). If Wilson stays fit and we end up with a sub 20 pick again, I think even with Adams' injuries, you are probably happy with the trade.

I mean, first round picks by Seattle outside of the top 20 by PC/JS are: James Carpenter, Germain Ifedi, Rashaad Penny, LJ Collier, and Jordyn Brooks.

Adding in some of the guys we traded down into top half of 2nd round? You can add Malik McDowell to that list.

So would you rather have Jamal Adams or any combination of 2 players from the above? Because effectively that's the value we gave up when we traded for him

flv2

Reaction score
At the time I thought Adams was worth the Seahawks 2021 1st & 3rd round picks plus the Seahawks 2022 3rd round pick. (I'm excluding the McDougald for a 4th part of the trade). I also thought Adams was a very good player who required an unorthodox hybrid defense to get the best out of him, (which the Seahawks didn't run), and that DB wasn't what the Seahawks needed. The Seahawks were solid at DB but poor elsewhere on defense, (excluding Wagner). Adams wasn't going to hide or cure the problems of the front 6/7. If I was a Seahawks fan I would have been unhappy with the trade.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
For a 2020 player we traded a 2021 and 2022 first pick, and finished 12-4 in the first year, so effectively gave up the 23rd overall pick the following year, plus sadly a high pick in 2022 after we had a poor year (driven primarily by Wilson's broken finger). If Wilson stays fit and we end up with a sub 20 pick again, I think even with Adams' injuries, you are probably happy with the trade.

I mean, first round picks by Seattle outside of the top 20 by PC/JS are: James Carpenter, Germain Ifedi, Rashaad Penny, LJ Collier, and Jordyn Brooks.

Adding in some of the guys we traded down into top half of 2nd round? You can add Malik McDowell to that list.

So would you rather have Jamal Adams or any combination of 2 players from the above? Because effectively that's the value we gave up when we traded for him

It's not just the picks, it's the contract we gave him.

If we would have just cut our losses and not extended Adams after his torn labrum? It would have made losing the picks much more palatable, cause yes who knows what we would have done with them. Could be good players, could have been duds like Collier.

Adams was, and still is soaking up WAY too much of the defensive roster cap, and that does matter. It matters a lot. Bad enough for a guy who's not playing well, but REALLY bad for a guy who you were depending on, and isn't playing at all.

Rat

Reaction score

Adding in some of the guys we traded down into top half of 2nd round? You can add Malik M

Give me the combination. Those contracts would be worth a fraction of what Adams is getting paid, plus it's hardly a guarantee those picks would have busted.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
People keep saying this is the worst trade ever (or even just for the Seahawks). I have to disagree bigly. First - nobody can predict his injuries. That is just unfortunate and not part of a “bad trade”. Second - the guy has been "all in" sincere he has been here. He is a leader and motivator in the locker room and does perform well when on the field. Third - He is determined and loves the game. He has recovered from a potentially career ending injury. He had rehabbed his way back to the team. That is inspiration and damn hard work.

Now to say we have not gotten the value from this is more agreeable to me. Not by his fault or the teams fault but by unfortunate circumstances.

Why do people need to vilify him to make themselves feel better about something that was out of everyones control. Nobody wants to get injured and no team wants an injured player. Even other teams and players don’t want injuries to other teams and players. It sucks but still part of the game.

evergreen

Reaction score
You have to remember it was covid and everyone agreed the draft would be unusual for those years. It seemed like a few obvious players then just everyone else equally unknown. Those first rounders weren't like regular year first rounders. It was a Pandemic! We were on a tear with Russ cooking. So I get the reason to do it. We were getting an elite player on D where we really needed it. If Russ Han't shit the bed against the Rams in the playoffs who knows?

But it also turned into the triple crown of F'd up trades. 1) cost too much, 2) paid him way too much, 3) he's hurt and its all for nothing.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
People keep saying this is the worst trade ever (or even just for the Seahawks). I have to disagree bigly. First - nobody can predict his injuries. That is just unfortunate and not part of a “bad trade”. Second - the guy has been "all in" sincere he has been here. He is a leader and motivator in the locker room and does perform well when on the field. Third - He is determined and loves the game. He has recovered from a potentially career ending injury. He had rehabbed his way back to the team. That is inspiration and damn hard work.

Now to say we have not gotten the value from this is more agreeable to me. Not by his fault or the teams fault but by unfortunate circumstances.

Why do people need to vilify him to make themselves feel better about something that was out of everyones control. Nobody wants to get injured and no team wants an injured player. Even other teams and players don’t want injuries to other teams and players. It sucks but still part of the game.

What does predicting his injuries have to do with it being a bad trade or not? It's only a bad trade if we knew the dude sucked before the trade?

That's how you determine bad trades, in hindsight.........and in hindsight it was a bad trade. Loss of picks + enormous contract with almost 40M guaranteed + missing way too many games in a Hawk's uniform = bad trade. Really bad trade.

Reactions: Rat

Jegpeg

Reaction score
At the time, RW3 was starting to complain about wanting to be on a team that could go all the way. I thought the Jamal Adams trade as paying over the odds in a desperate attempts to get another owl before the Wilson window closed. I thought it was a huge punt at the time which was unlikely to pay off. However I did think that at this point we would deprived of young talent due to losing our first round picks and either having to deal with an aging and highly paid QB or, (more likely) looking for a QB that is competant. Glad that the RW trade (along with good picks lower down the draft) got us both.

Last edited:

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I thought it was a bad trade at the time. I still do today.

The post super bowl years have seen some of the worse trades/management from the PC/JS duo.

Luckily they seem to have recovered their mojo. This years draft and next year's draft will determine that though. They need a consistent run of good drafts and that hasn't happened yet.

evergreen

Reaction score
It's kind of a reflection of the Russ trade. They paid too much for him. They paid him too much afterwards. And he sucked which has the same effect as him being hurt...

Millen Hawk

Reaction score
Adams deal is the worst deal in Seahawks history that eventually lead to the best deal in Hawks history. Since trading for Adams and then giving him a huge contract the Hawks have not been able to make any major acquisitions. Having to pay RW, Adams, Wags, Poona (yes really) Lock, etc. Didn't give the Hawks enough room to acquire OL help to keep RW together and a effective running game.

But... I believe that Adams contract was a factor that lead to RW not being happy here which lead to the Hawks trading to DEN for a bunch of draft picks, players and freed up cap space to allow the Hawks to sign guys like LB Devin Bush, DE Dre'Mont Jones, DB Julian Love and DE Jarran Reed.

Mick063

Reaction score
I am the biggest critic in the world of the Adams deal. Horrible in every aspect.

Who is to say that Pete and John, as a management team, can't learn from mistakes and get better? Schnieder, in reference to Malik McDowell can be quoted as saying he learned from it and would not repeat it (whatever "it" was) again. Every deal isn't the same. Every deal offers new insight on how to manage similar deals in the future.

Every team in the league makes great decisions and poor decisions. It Isn't an exact science. Put <your replacement here> in Petes place and ponder how he would have fared. Picking in the late twenties (not just in the first round but every round) for almost an entire decade. Consistently picking late because the organization had the second-best winning percentage for that same decade. Answering your expected reply, <your replacement> would not have picked in the late twenties every year because <your replacement> wouldn't have enjoyed equivalent success. Yet some folks can't appreciate the tremendous job that the Pete/Schnieder team have done. I just can't believe how unbelievably entitled some folks are. Completely detached from reality.

Hating the Adams deal doesn't automatically equate to losing my staunch belief in Pete Carroll (as it apparently does for others). Put me in the camp of letting Pete coach for as long as his heart desires and let him retire on his own terms. Then retire his name in the ring of honor and permanently cement his Seahawk legacy within the organization. After he leaves, attempt to retain his positive culture for as long as possible by hiring someone that emulates him.

If you are in the "fire Pete" camp, be prepared for me being a message board adversary. I already don't personally like your "fandom", but I can't get that personal on this forum. I will, however, counter you with non-personal argument as I see fit. If it inevitably appears that I can't talk sense into you, then I will ultimately ignore you. And I have put a couple "fire Pete" antagonists (they are obsessed with it on almost every post) on ignore because I don't come here to read their ill-conceived crap. I just don't make good company for self-entitled, unappreciative people.

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
In retrospect it pisses me off even more and I don't understand why we haven't cut him already. Stupid trade and even stupider contract. Why Pete and John aren't working at Walmart currently I'll never know.

Literally because of this stupid crap we will be 9-8 with a team that should be 12-5. I'm pissed and want a housecleaning of the top or Pete getting stripped of power. Ok maybe 10-7 but you understand what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
In retrospect it pisses me off even more and I don't understand why we haven't cut him already. Stupid trade and even stupider contract. Why Pete and John aren't working at Walmart currently I'll never know.

Literally because of this stupid crap we will be 9-8 with a team that should be 12-5. I'm pissed and want a housecleaning of the top or Pete getting stripped of power. Ok maybe 10-7 but you understand what I'm saying.
His cap hit was north of $20M the last few years, so it wouldn't make sense to cut him. In 2024 it finally drops to $14M and he'll be 29. This is the end of his prime and if he doesn't ball out this year, you can pretty much guarantee he'll be a cap casualty or re-negotiated to a much more reasonable number.