Florio: Hawks done negotiating w/Adams, will tag him twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks have very real leverage when it comes to the contract talks with safety Jamal Adams. Barring a long-term deal, they can pay him $9.86 million and then apply the franchise tag twice. With long-term talks bogged down, that’s what they currently plan to do.

Adams, we’re told, has a strategy of his own to deploy if that happens. Per a league source, Adams would file a grievance arguing that he’s a linebacker not a safety for franchise tag purposes.

The question then becomes whether Adams takes more snaps as a linebacker (inside or outside) or as a safety in 2021, the year before application of the tag.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... chise-tag/

GeekHawk

Reaction score
What was Florio's reporting in the lead-up to RW getting his present contract? Seems like most of the reporting from everyone was about how Russ was as good as gone already. Just like during this last offseason.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2tqqsnt9 said:
The Seahawks have very real leverage when it comes to the contract talks with safety Jamal Adams. Barring a long-term deal, they can pay him $9.86 million and then apply the franchise tag twice. With long-term talks bogged down, that’s what they currently plan to do.

Adams, we’re told, has a strategy of his own to deploy if that happens. Per a league source, Adams would file a grievance arguing that he’s a linebacker not a safety for franchise tag purposes.

The question then becomes whether Adams takes more snaps as a linebacker (inside or outside) or as a safety in 2021, the year before application of the tag.

Wow. Just...wow

I know I'll get heat for this, but I say we trade him now. If he's willing to cause that much of a distraction, he's not here to compete.

That would be like Travis Kelce arguing he's a wide receiver

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jerhawk":kjx1nhww said:
SantaClaraHawk":kjx1nhww said:

Wow. Just...wow

I know I'll get heat for this, but I say we trade him now. If he's willing to cause that much of a distraction, he's not here to compete.

Jimmy Graham tried to pull this BS before the Saints traded him to us when they threatened to franchise him, said he was a super wide receiver to avoid the much lower TE tag.

Didn't work for Graham, and it won't work for Adams. This is agent nonsense trying to respond to the Hawk's statement on franchising Adams over the weekend.

The league is VERY specific on positions, for just this reason. Salary slotting.

Adam's is clinically insane if he gives up 38M guaranteed and almost 18M a year vs. 9.8M this year, and 4-5M less for the next two years being franchised.....and most importantly for him he's coming off two injuries so to give up almost 40M in guaranteed money to risk getting injured again.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1frbvn2x said:
SantaClaraHawk":1frbvn2x said:

Wow. Just...wow

You don’t trade a player like Adams at this point in his career, just over a contract squabble when there are other ways available (franchise tags). That’s what perennial shitty teams do. You’d be selling low.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Contract posturing to crystallize respective positions.

Adams wants to be paid as an OLB/DE? There he's underperforming the market price for the rush OLB.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ql5mx0yb said:
Jerhawk":ql5mx0yb said:
SantaClaraHawk":ql5mx0yb said:

Wow. Just...wow

You don’t trade a player like Adams at this point in his career, just over a contract squabble when there are other ways available (franchise tags). That’s what perennial $h!t teams do. You’d be selling low.

I get what you're saying.
It just ruffles my feathers when players get this greedy. It's a distraction thats only going to get worse.
Jerhawk's getting upset!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Jerhawk":358e0bde said:
Sports Hernia":358e0bde said:
Jerhawk":358e0bde said:
SantaClaraHawk":358e0bde said:

Wow. Just...wow

You don’t trade a player like Adams at this point in his career, just over a contract squabble when there are other ways available (franchise tags). That’s what perennial $h!t teams do. You’d be selling low.

I get what you're saying.
It just ruffles my feathers when players get this greedy. It's a distraction thats only going to get worse.
Jerhawk's getting upset!

As normal human beings making a fraction of what these gifted athletes who are lucky enough to be able to command this type of money, this does appear to be somewhat greedy. The two sides are about $2million apart. Most of us would feel extremely blessed and lucky to even be able to get that $2million alone! We would be set for life. My kids and grandkids would be setup for a much easier path. We normal 9-5ers have no real comprehension of this world of mega bucks. Greedy from our point of view? Yes. From professional athletes, it’s merely business as usual.

knownone

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1zhx7pca said:

I've been saying this for a while. The Seahawks trading for Adams does not magically bestow Adams with leverage. The Hawks actually have all the leverage because they can effectively set a price ceiling and enforce it. If this report is true, that's exactly what they are doing. Essentially, they ask Adams if he's willing to risk making 20 million less over his career to get a higher per season average.

I can almost guarantee he'll sign a contract before the season; otherwise, his representation needs to be fired.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Anytime there is a contract dispute, we hear all kinds of things about holdouts, tags, anger, disappointment, frustration, etc. Rarely does all this smoke result in any real holdouts or other options that are detrimental to the team or player. We can all come up with examples of prolonged holdouts or impasses that have turned bad. Either the Adams or Brown situation could turn out badly but I highly doubt either one will.

Players want to make as much $ as they can possibly squeeze out of a team. Teams want to pay as little $ as they can get away with. If either of these affect the first game of the season then I will start to have a little anxiety about their affect on the team. Until then, I try to tune out the noise and look forward to the season. It is all noise as no one other than the player/agent and team management really knows what’s going on.

I believe that Adams could sign any day now and Brown right before the season. I’m an optimist but I’m also a realist. These will both get done with no tags, trades or game holdouts.

Players and team management all have jobs that pay well. Their earnings revolve around playing and preparing to play the game of football. Mike Florio, also has a job. His job is to write articles that generates readers. How does he do that? A little bit of fact, a little bit of fiction, a little bit of speculation. Readers eat it up.
At the end of the day, money talks, bull$#!t walks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2tkls6ys said:
As normal human beings making a fraction of what these gifted athletes who are lucky enough to be able to command this type of money, this does appear to be somewhat greedy. The two sides are about $2million apart. Most of us would feel extremely blessed and lucky to even be able to get that $2million alone! We would be set for life. My kids and grandkids would be setup for a much easier path. We normal 9-5ers have no real comprehension of this world of mega bucks. Greedy from our point of view? Yes. From professional athletes, it’s merely business as usual.

This.

Pro athletes have a very finite window of their lives to make the most money possible, so I don't fault any of them for trying to maximize their contracts.

Now if they're being unrealistic and hold out because of bad agent advice (Kam Chancellor), or out of stubbornness? Sure, that's irritating.

But we're fans, we want what's best for our team. Athletes don't think like we do, they're out for their own self interest, as we would be (and are) at our jobs.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2a2pcv67 said:
RiverDog":2a2pcv67 said:
Sgt. Largent":2a2pcv67 said:
You want to worry, worry about Brown. Did you see Forsythe? He was awful and got Geno concussed. Brown's shown he IS willing to sit out games to get a new deal or get traded. He's not messing around.

THAT'S the contract I'm worried about. Russell's going to get killed if we have to start Forsythe at LT when the season starts.

Yes, I saw Forsythe, and it was scary to think of Russell being in there at the same time he's at LT. But at this point, Forsythe is our 4th option as Jones and Ogbuehi were both injured and didn't play. Nevertheless, I agree that Brown is the priority. We can afford to lose Adams, but protecting the franchise QB's blind side is every team's top priority.

I'd bet good money that we won't see Forsythe in their during the next two preseason games at the same time Russell is, or if he is, Russ won't be taking any 7 step drops.

We have no choice, until Jamarco Jones is healthy Forsythe has to start. There is no one else.

So my guess is we won't see Russell until the 3rd preseason game, and only for a series.

My point is everyone's worried about the wrong hold out, Adams will sign, he's an idiot if he doesn't take this deal. This O-line without Brown is scary bad and thin.

Agreed 100% that the priority is Brown. If we see ourselves as a serious SB contender, then resigning Brown is an absolute must.

I think Russell might play a series or two this week, but hopefully just hands off or throws a few quick outs, and I think we'll see him for more than just a series in the last preseason game, perhaps as much as the entire first half. This is a new offense and he has to get some work with it under game conditions.

Torc

Reaction score
Adams was pretty proud of himself for setting the DB sack record. Now he wants to be called a LB? Does he lose the record if he was a LB all along? :)

hawks85

Reaction score
I've tried to tell people this and they didn't listen. This is the worst trade in Seahawks history. Adams doesn't belong on this team.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Thinking back when Training Camp was about to start most fans were thinking that this is the year that the Hawks will pull out of the dole drums with the ability to win several Play-Off games. It appears now that they have slipped back into a steaming pile of _ _ _ _.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2x0soke5 said:
Thinking back when Training Camp was about to start most fans were thinking that this is the year that the Hawks will pull out of the dole drums with the ability to win several Play-Off games. It appears now that they have slipped back into a steaming pile of _ _ _ _.

Because a safety hasn't agreed to his extension a month before the regular season starts?

A bit of an over reactive take don't you think?

OMG JAMAL ADAMS HASN'T SIGNED HIS NEW DEAL ON AUGUST 16TH, IT'S OVER EVERYONE!!

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Both sides are playing, “Chicken” with each other.

Adams will lose out it he continues to refuse to sign.

Seattle still looks foolish for trading a King’s ransom for this guy.

Carroll needs to stop trading first round picks for costly players.

Offensive line and defensive line players should be the only ones worthy of trading first round picks.

Just stop already, Carroll.

First round picks are vital even if Carroll doesn’t think they are.

Trading valuable high picks eventually catches up to you.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Again, it's August 16th. A player trying to get a contract. Yeah, that NEVER happens.
Ok, back to your regular Pete and John suck, the front office sucks, Adams was a stupid trade broadcast day.......

knownone

Reaction score
hawks85":1k6gimhx said:
I've tried to tell people this and they didn't listen. This is the worst trade in Seahawks history. Adams doesn't belong on this team.
Why? If they tag him twice, the worst-case scenario is they get 4 years from all-pro safety, at below market value.

I'm not sure how this could top Harvin unless they trade Adams in a week for a 7th round pick.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
They have a chance to win 9-12 games but only because Wilson Metcalf and Carson are on the team. They really need Green Collier and the rest of the D-line to step up if there going to win in the playoffs. CB still looks like a patch work of average to below average talent. It should not be lost on anyone when this team was at it's best CB was a strength not a weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts