Fair Weather Fans

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":10wij1ln said:
Sounds like a bunch of rah rah holier than thou bs. Yes, let's all cuddle up with our Seahawk stuffed animals and sing in harmony the praises of our team. Let's all give Blitz a big, warm hug, take our Hawk lunchpails to school, pick daisies in the meadow and never question the decisions of coaching staff who can do no wrong. Just enjoy the humor in defeat and bust a nut over wildcard wins.

I've been a diehard fan of this team since the 70s and I have the right to be as joyous, excited, pissed off, disappointed or however I choose to view this franchise or the direction it's heading as I want to be. Serious arrogance, audacity and naivete on this site evidently exists for people to tell others they are "entitled" or "spoiled" or "fair-weathered." So anyone telling me or others how to feel about this organization can get out.

I'm with this guy :ditto:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":1sn76htl said:
Silverhawk5":1sn76htl said:
I've been a Seahawks fan since 1983. I fell in love with the Seahawks watching a game with my dad on the arm of his lazy boy chair. Remember it like it was yesterday. I've lived through Kelly Stofuer, Dan Maguire, Stan Gelbaugh, Kitna, Moon, etc, along with Dennis Erickson, Tom Flores and Jim Mora Jr.. As a fan, I've always had the feeling that "this year is our year". I've lived outside of the state of Washington for the last 30 years in various cities in the western US. 10 years ago, if you saw anyone wearing Seahawks gear in public it was a true anomaly and a rare treat . Today, our Seahawks are beloved and I can't go to an airport or out in public without seeing a fellow 12. Why am I putting this out there? I have been reading the boards, as I faithfully do and I am seeing an almost intolerable amount of negativity. New fan or old, if you love the Seahawks, like I do, understand that we are in a golden age. We have an owner and coach in Allen/Carroll who have taken us to heights that most of us long timers could have never dreamed of. So to those of you who are losing their sh-t on a weekly basis, I share with you this, your Seahawks will continue to improve week by week and they will be in the mix at playoff time. Pete and company have proven this year after year after year. Relax. Enjoy the show (and the magic) stay positive, don't lose your sh-t in the early going, because our beloved Hawks will be there in the end, like they always have been, since Pete has been at the helm. Stay the course ladies and gentlemen "this is our year".

I have to echo your sentiment...I've followed this team since their inception and have loved them win or lose. I moved from Washington many years ago to 49er/Raider country and have fought the good fight and supported my team. It's weird now after being gone so long to go to CLink because seeing so many people wearing Seahawks colors is kind of overwhelming if you know what I mean. Anyway, I like you have seen a lot of new fans and success will bring that I suppose, and it's depressing to read so many negative posts here. This isn't the site I joined (old/new) 13 years ago. Be happy guys (I guess) is the message here, or seek happiness elsewhere by other means in another way. Frankly, I think this negativity is tedious at best.
"Negativity" seems to find a way of seeping into nearly every single thread.
We use to have some savvy posters that did game and-or player breakdowns on a weekly basis, it was a joy to read their well thought out analysis....That is...until some pessimist'S decided that they could take it no more, and decided that it was their duty to drive the conversation back into the dark, and do away with all that feel-good.
Posters like Kearly, and a couple of other informative guru's before him decided that it wasn't worth the angst that they had to endure, and just gave up posting on here altogether.
Now, there's a saturation of negativity to wade through on nearly every thread.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":36fpvgcj said:
Sounds like a bunch of rah rah holier than thou bs. Yes, let's all cuddle up with our Seahawk stuffed animals and sing in harmony the praises of our team. Let's all give Blitz a big, warm hug, take our Hawk lunchpails to school, pick daisies in the meadow and never question the decisions of coaching staff who can do no wrong. Just enjoy the humor in defeat and bust a nut over wildcard wins.

I've been a diehard fan of this team since the 70s and I have the right to be as joyous, excited, pissed off, disappointed or however I choose to view this franchise or the direction it's heading as I want to be. Serious arrogance, audacity and naivete on this site evidently exists for people to tell others they are "entitled" or "spoiled" or "fair-weathered." So anyone telling me or others how to feel about this organization can get out.

This

Reaction score
I think Hawk Finn sum it up! Why people can think they can tell other people how they should feel about their team I will never understand.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":j6kg86g8 said:
It's not all fair weather fans. Admit it or not, there still is some tension from this. And there will be until we move 100% past it which winning it all will do. That may or may not happen....so hang on.

Giphy
I guess it's part of the 'Individuality' gig, and my belief is, that not everyone is clinging to this......"Tension", and hell, some of the players aren't even playing football anymore.
I for one watch the Seahawks play, purely for the entertainment and FEEL-GOOD.
I guess that in my 70 years, I've learned to let go of the negatives, better than some.

HawksnDawgs35

Reaction score
So fair and honest observations about the glaring weakness of this team makes someone a fair weather fan?

Sorry, but I don't view the world through Blue and Green glasses and I've been a fan since 76'

We have a Super Bowl defense and a top 5 draft pick offense. That's reality.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seanmatt":21k35tln said:
I think that this is a good post because it revolves around the meta-discussion of what it means to be a fan. I feel like your take on fandom (and many other folks on this board) is actually closer to devotion. You're kind of a "my team right or wrong" kinda fella. I've enjoyed watching the Hawks over the past 15 years or so and I won't become a fan of another team but I'm also not going to delude myself about the state of the franchise. For a lot of folks like yourself, sports teams are something that you are in awe of and saying anything negative about your beloved team is blasphemy. That is not nor will it ever be my fandom. I feel like this era of the Hawks (Pete Carroll era) is on the decline and we only have a few years (at most) of the Pete Carroll Hawks left. Listen, the Seahawks are a business and as a consumer of their product, I will complain if I feel that they are putting out something substandard. As a fan, I want a team that is realistically in Super Bowl contention every year. I realize that this is a lofty goal and you may be the kind of fan who is just happy to watch a game. So be it. Our fandoms are different and folks like you will keep on thinking that the Hawks are Super Bowl bound and while folks like me will view this as their beloved yet fatally flawed team that is soon to be rebooted. I'm OK with being called a "fair weather fan" because I think that kind of fan is more honest and has a healthier relationship with their teams than true believers like yourself.
That's hunky-dory enough, but it's the fact that some in here feel it's their duty to wrest the happy away from others, and instill their pessimistic values.

Jville

Reaction score
Silverhawk5":34mdse24 said:
I've been a Seahawks fan since 1983. I fell in love with the Seahawks watching a game with my dad on the arm of his lazy boy chair. Remember it like it was yesterday. I've lived through Kelly Stofuer, Dan Maguire, Stan Gelbaugh, Kitna, Moon, etc, along with Dennis Erickson, Tom Flores and Jim Mora Jr.. As a fan, I've always had the feeling that "this year is our year". I've lived outside of the state of Washington for the last 30 years in various cities in the western US. 10 years ago, if you saw anyone wearing Seahawks gear in public it was a true anomaly and a rare treat . Today, our Seahawks are beloved and I can't go to an airport or out in public without seeing a fellow 12. Why am I putting this out there? I have been reading the boards, as I faithfully do and I am seeing an almost intolerable amount of negativity. New fan or old, if you love the Seahawks, like I do, understand that we are in a golden age. We have an owner and coach in Allen/Carroll who have taken us to heights that most of us long timers could have never dreamed of. So to those of you who are losing their sh-t on a weekly basis, I share with you this, your Seahawks will continue to improve week by week and they will be in the mix at playoff time. Pete and company have proven this year after year after year. Relax. Enjoy the show (and the magic) stay positive, don't lose your sh-t in the early going, because our beloved Hawks will be there in the end, like they always have been, since Pete has been at the helm. Stay the course ladies and gentlemen "this is our year".

Good to hear from one who posts infrequently.

Not every poster is current or enjoys the annual team building process. And, some missed the turn when Pete Carroll assumed command. Just this week Pete recoiled from a reporters use of the term rival. Pete's program is built on wanting the best for everyone and helping everyone grow. That's his foundation. With that mind set, one has the capacity to be respectful of everyone in the league. Last year when Aaron Donald made his plays, Carroll and other sportsman acknowledged it as a win. Verses the Packers, we saw that once again to start the 2017 campaign with an under the radar defensive lineman. Carroll doesn't think in terms of blame or rivals or enemies. At the VMAC its all about a culture of striving to become better and helping those around one to become better. Not everyone grasps that understanding. Many struggle to buy in. And some continue to out right rejected it.

So much of forum negativity springs from an underlying disrespect or dislike of opponents. It's an enemy mind set devoid of sportsmanship. Without the ability to respect competitors, negativity is compelled to call out Seahawk players and coaches. Recognizing a successful play, by a competitor, is only done most grudgingly if at all. Negativity hobbles it's victims from moving on to the next play, the next day, the next week, the next season. Indeed, negativity is best visualized as a paralysis of its host.

Thanks for sharing your timely thoughts. Hopefully, your example will encourage more rarely heard from members to post their thoughts.

Go Seahawks!

seedhawk

Reaction score
Bullshat! What this really is is a postdom thread, not a fandom one.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2c090avf said:
seanmatt":2c090avf said:
I think that this is a good post because it revolves around the meta-discussion of what it means to be a fan. I feel like your take on fandom (and many other folks on this board) is actually closer to devotion. You're kind of a "my team right or wrong" kinda fella. I've enjoyed watching the Hawks over the past 15 years or so and I won't become a fan of another team but I'm also not going to delude myself about the state of the franchise. For a lot of folks like yourself, sports teams are something that you are in awe of and saying anything negative about your beloved team is blasphemy. That is not nor will it ever be my fandom. I feel like this era of the Hawks (Pete Carroll era) is on the decline and we only have a few years (at most) of the Pete Carroll Hawks left. Listen, the Seahawks are a business and as a consumer of their product, I will complain if I feel that they are putting out something substandard. As a fan, I want a team that is realistically in Super Bowl contention every year. I realize that this is a lofty goal and you may be the kind of fan who is just happy to watch a game. So be it. Our fandoms are different and folks like you will keep on thinking that the Hawks are Super Bowl bound and while folks like me will view this as their beloved yet fatally flawed team that is soon to be rebooted. I'm OK with being called a "fair weather fan" because I think that kind of fan is more honest and has a healthier relationship with their teams than true believers like yourself.
That's hunky-dory enough, but it's the fact that some in here feel it's their duty to wrest the happy away from others, and instill their pessimistic values.

If you felt happy about last weeks victory you deserved to have that feeling wrested away from you

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3pb9dvxa said:
PlinytheCenter":3pb9dvxa said:
Silverhawk5":3pb9dvxa said:

I have to echo your sentiment...I've followed this team since their inception and have loved them win or lose. I moved from Washington many years ago to 49er/Raider country and have fought the good fight and supported my team. It's weird now after being gone so long to go to CLink because seeing so many people wearing Seahawks colors is kind of overwhelming if you know what I mean. Anyway, I like you have seen a lot of new fans and success will bring that I suppose, and it's depressing to read so many negative posts here. This isn't the site I joined (old/new) 13 years ago. Be happy guys (I guess) is the message here, or seek happiness elsewhere by other means in another way. Frankly, I think this negativity is tedious at best.
"Negativity" seems to find a way of seeping into nearly every single thread.
We use to have some savvy posters that did game and-or player breakdowns on a weekly basis, it was a joy to read their well thought out analysis....That is...until some pessimist'S decided that they could take it no more, and decided that it was their duty to drive the conversation back into the dark, and do away with all that feel-good.
Posters like Kearly, and a couple of other informative guru's before him decided that it wasn't worth the angst that they had to endure, and just gave up posting on here altogether.
Now, there's a saturation of negativity to wade through on nearly every thread.

I think that the folks who left did so less because of negativity and more because of disrespect. Kip was awesome and sorely missed but he left cause people were jerks to him not because they weren't sufficiently homerish. I mean, I respect the heck out of Rob Staton but feel like he has been underplaying the need to invest in our offensive line for a LONG time. On that issue I disagree with him but I don't think that I'm disagreeable. There is a contingent of fans on this board who have an "everything is fine" attitude and can't handle folks who disagree in an agreeable fashion.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":c92v6p4v said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
HawksnDawgs35":1pn1jb0b said:
So fair and honest observations about the glaring weakness of this team makes someone a fair weather fan?

Sorry, but I don't view the world through Blue and Green glasses and I've been a fan since 76'

Yep. Nothing worse than fans throwing around labels and trying to compare fandom worthiness.

Why is critical analysis not accepted? Why is only rah rah, drooling fanboy stuff appreciated?

The truth hurts. We all look at the games differently. If you can't identify the fatal flaws on this team, well... I can't help you. All the unicorns and sunshine posts won't make it better.

You can be a die hard and still call a spade a spade. I have been a fan for 40 years, the highs and lows. Nothing will change that; but I am allowed to be down when we see the same problems over and over again.

CostaRicaHawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":kb9yooad said:

So you are the only one to be able to state an opinion because you are hyper over the top critical!! So it is ok for you to tell people to get out if they do not agree with you? You want it all to be your way. Lighten up CUPCAKE, every one gets their opinion, even people who enjoy the product being put out. Maybe we are just tired of hearing how homer we are just because we don't agree with your sky is falling. Grow up!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
lacenterhawk":3e2sm7tj said:
West TX Hawk":3e2sm7tj said:

So you are the only one to be able to state an opinion because you are hyper over the top critical!! So it is ok for you to tell people to get out if they do not agree with you? You want it all to be your way. Lighten up CUPCAKE, every one gets their opinion, even people who enjoy the product being put out. Maybe we are just tired of hearing how homer we are just because we don't agree with your sky is falling. Grow up!

Umm no. He doesn't want others telling him how to feel about his team. Exactly what you are accusing him of doing. Nice contrived reasoning you got there.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seanmatt":2mimf418 said:
scutterhawk":2mimf418 said:
seanmatt":2mimf418 said:

If you felt happy about last weeks victory you deserved to have that feeling wrested away from you

I'm LIKING THAT WE WON, now, If you're assuming that I was pleased with the plethora of brain-fart performances by our team, the shitty protection, the sacks, the passes that sail too high & out of reach, the perfect passes that were DROPPED, the shitty execution of plays all around, then you're delusional.....Having said that, I have the mindset that they will get better.
Now, if you're of the mindset to constantly be bummed out about everything, and want to cling to every speck of negativity? , then by all means...Have at it,
In other words, there ain't no one trying to talk you off the ledge.....JUMP!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":37li4kbe said:
HawksnDawgs35":37li4kbe said:

Yep. Nothing worse than fans throwing around labels and trying to compare fandom worthiness.

Why is critical analysis not accepted? Why is only rah rah, drooling fanboy stuff appreciated?

The truth hurts. We all look at the games differently. If you can't identify the fatal flaws on this team, well... I can't help you. All the unicorns and sunshine posts won't make it better.

You can be a die hard and still call a spade a spade. I have been a fan for 40 years, the highs and lows. Nothing will change that; but I am allowed to be down when we see the same problems over and over again.

I agree with FlyingGreg. These are my sentiments almost exactly. I know the offense can be a lot better with the talent there (especially in the skill areas). It's just a certain position group bringing the team down and that area has not improved year over year. They continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. Is it ignorance and stubbornness....who knows. It's one of the main reasons why the Seahawks only put 10-12 points on teams they should scoring at least 30 on. Yes, this is profootball and it may change week to week but for the most part consistently elite teams win 12+ games each year. The Seahawks used to do that (from 2012-2014). Now they are just a 10 win and division round playoffs exit team (past 2 years). The trend so far this season seems very similar to last season. That was a 10 win season. As a fan since 1977, I expect more from this team.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3t5bag9p said:
FlyingGreg":3t5bag9p said:
HawksnDawgs35":3t5bag9p said:

I agree with FlyingGreg. These are my sentiments almost exactly. I know the offense can be a lot better with the talent there (especially in the skill areas). It's just a certain position group bringing the team down and that area has not improved year over year. They continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. Is it ignorance and stubbornness....who knows. It's one of the main reasons why the Seahawks only put 10-12 points on teams they should scoring at least 30 on. Yes, this is profootball and it may change week to week but for the most part consistently elite teams win 12+ games each year. The Seahawks used to do that (from 2012-2014). Now they are just a 10 win and division round playoffs exit team (past 2 years). The trend so far this season seems very similar to last season. That was a 10 win season. As a fan since 1977, I expect more from this team.

well Hell to the yeah..... Screw the post trying to be upbeat about the Seahawks :roll:
Ain't no one trying to take away some of ya's Debbie-Downer mood, if that's what floats yer boat have at it.

Oh, and to add, we ARE getting more than the 1977 Seahawks team...BY A LONG SHOT.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I just call it like I see it. I know enough about the game to know what needs to be improved. The 'Hawks might make the playoffs this year. Then again, they might not. The problem I have is accepting mediocrity. Why can't the 'Hawks be New England west? Why can't they be legit title contenders year in and year out? Why should I accept or be happy with a playoff appearance and first or second round exit just because the "old days" really sucked? I remember the old days. I watched Boz get friggin' trucked by Bo. Hell, my dog was named Boz. Accepting mediocrity will get us back there sooner rather than later. New England rebuilds every year. They contend for a Super bowl berth every year. At this point,the NFC west isn't really much tougher than the AFC east. So do we want to win the NFC west or do we want to win the Super bowl? I will pick Super bowl every time. My loyalty as a fan doesn't depend on whether the 'Hawks win or lose. It just bothers me to see flaws that are so obvious and that nothing is being done about it. I will continue to bitch about the offense until they get their shit together. It doesn't make me any less of a fan.