Sigh..It's only fair. Draft capital needs to go to Pete's successor

rjdriver

Reaction score
I don't know as much about football as most of you, but as a hopelessly die hard fan, I want what's best for the Seahawks.

Early in the season after an impressive start, I was hopeful that this could be a very short term turnaround. It is clear though that there are more holes than I anticipated. The D needs an overhaul, long term questions at QB, still pass protection issues.

This is going to take longer than a year or two to get back to SB contention. At 71, Pete isn't the guy to lead a long term rebuild.

We have unprecedented draft capital. It's only fair that the regime and personnel that will succeed Pete have these picks at their disposal to set in motion their rebuild plan. I'd like to see JS have carte blanche to select who he wants knowing Pete doesn't have a veto power. I hope Pete comes to the same conclusion, and gracefully steps down to take his place amongst legends like Knox and Holmgren.

I know this is a regurgitation of a million other Pete threads, but it's just my two cents.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
It still raises the question.

Who replaces Pete?

That’s my worry.
As much as I want a change and Pete gone I’m unsure as to whom this would be but with the history of the franchise, the city, the fans, and current draft capital I imagine the candidates would not be few. I want innovative, fresh, and ahead of the game thinking. Pete has done us well… time to go. We’re due for a fresh start.

beastalamode

Reaction score
This blame Pete thing going on all of a sudden is bizarre, and this is from someone who was all aboard the fire Pete bandwagon last offseason. We were SUPPOSED to look ugly like this in 2022. Yall do realize how much dead money we have from the Russ trade this year, right? Blame Pete and fire him if he botches the draft next year and the team still looks bad in 2023, but this year? That 6-3 start got people seeing delusions of grandeur.

m0ng0

Reaction score
This blame Pete thing going on all of a sudden is bizarre, and this is from someone who was all aboard the fire Pete bandwagon last offseason. We were SUPPOSED to look ugly like this in 2022. Yall do realize how much dead money we have from the Russ trade this year, right? Blame Pete and fire him if he botches the draft next year and the team still looks bad in 2023, but this year? That 6-3 start got people seeing delusions of grandeur.
Thank you!!

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
I don't understand where you got a "blaming Pete" tone from my OP? My point was this may take longer than Pete anticipated, and if he's going to leave relatively soon anyway, mine as well let the new coach help with the architecture since he will be doing the building.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
Age should not be the determining factor in whether or not someone keeps their job. Instead, performance is the only metric that matters.

I agree in general. I mean, it's hard to take an opposing viewpoint without it sounding discriminatory. That being said, eventually (all) people retire and the 70's is typically when they do it. If Pete doesn't see himself here long term (because it's a longer rebuild than he thought), then I'd like to see the new guy in sooner than later.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
Pete came out of that Russ trade on such a high note that he has to make some kind of big mistake in order to be ushered out over retiring when he's ready. He hasn't made that mistake yet.

Honest question. Not disagreeing or being inflamatory.

What constitutes a big mistake?

What if we lose out (which is a possibility)?

Do you thinking losing 7 of your last 8 games in a season against primarily middling competition is enough? I get we lack talent, but we are getting WORSE as the season goes along, not the direction we should be heading.

Again, if Pete, in his heart, knows he is going to be here for awhile...fine. I like him. However, if there is any doubt, I hope he leaves at the end of this year so the new regime can use the draft capital to provide the foundation of what they want to build.

Rat

Reaction score
This team has many problems, but I don't have Pete high on that list. If he felt it was his time, I'd respect that and hope we hire someone innovative to take over (not Payton; I can't believe how overrated that guy is), but I still think Pete can coach a championship team. We need to give him a championship roster and there are serious issues with this defense that are preventing that. Not that I'm saying we should fire Schneider either, we just have some serious holes that need to be figured out in the front seven. The Adams trade was clearly a huge mistake, which I hoped they learned from. I mean, I still think Adams is a good/great player when he's healthy, but that was clearly a move that never should have been made. Whoever is coaching our team next year needs to find ways of getting after the QB better.

rcaido

Reaction score
Should have tanked early. Get rid of Pete. Trade Metcalf, trade Locket, dont resign any of the players like (Diggs & Dissly) We would have setup a new coach perfectly.

Worse case scenario happened, Geno played like a Probowl our record became average not helping w/ draft picks. Now if Denver wins 2 games, we might not even get a top 10 pick from them.