Andrew luck

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Popeyejones":cdh4vvw1 said:
Bad game for Luck.

Why not just have a "Luck is overrated" master thread. That way every time he playspoorly people can say "I told you" and every time he plays well people can just ignore it.
We don't do omnibus threads here like at Webzone or SeahawkBlue because they meander too much.

ringless

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":24gjmp2c said:
Popeyejones":24gjmp2c said:
Many different factors:

*That he was supposed to be the best QB prospect in forever and has generally played well definitely plays a role.

*That he turned around a 2-14 Colts team into an 11-5 Colts team in his first year definitely plays a role.

* That the Colts have gone 11-5 and made the playoffs every year he has played definitely plays a role

* That save for a few guys (Davis, Castonzo, Hilton, Mathis), none of whom are even remotely in the conversation for being a top player at their position, save for Luck the Colts don't really have any players that the rest of the league envies definitely plays a role.

* That last year he led the league in TD passes and was #3 in yards (really hard to argue that he wasn't better than 2/3rds of the holy trinity of Manning, Brady, and Rodgers) definitely plays a role.

* That he does a lot of little things very well that almost all young QBs usually aren't good at well definitely plays a role.

* That he's easily the most complete QB of all the young QBs definitely plays a role.

* That the hangup for him is turnovers, but most experts don't just look at end of year stats and look at int. RATES (for which he was 27th in the league, right there with Manning) definitely plays a role.

*That professional analysts aren't all Seahawks fans and don't have a weird hangup about Andrew Luck and/or implicitly believe that complimenting Luck's ability somehow takes away from Russell Wilson also plays a role.

:th2thumbs:

EDIT: FWIW I also find the argument about his division to be really shallow. Like everyone else he only gets to play in the division and schemes he gets to play in. It's like saying Sherman is overrated because he's protected by ET3 and doesn't have to shadow, or Wilson is overrated because of the Hawks D and Lynch. If someone doesn't like those arguments, they shouldn't like the Luck divisional argument either. Within the confines of who he's asked to play, and what he's asked to do, he's really, really, really good. It's no different than what I'd say about Sherman or Wilson.

Great post.

Andrew Luck is one of the best QB's in this league. No argument there, I mean just watch Colts vs Seahawks 2013 game. He was making plays that I don't think any other QB in this league can make other than Rodgers. I have always been impressed with Luck but doing what he did against that historically good defense was something else. Colts are lucky to go from Manning to Luck.

Have to agree Poppeye is spot on as well.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RichNhansom":23xqvek7 said:
Scottemojo":23xqvek7 said:
Luck is damn talented. So much so that he trusts his talent too much, why else would he challenge Revis while throwing falling backwards. Also, lets not forget that all those stats are racked with one of the leagues easiest schedules. However, his last three real games have been vs the Pats, Bills, and Jets, who have a guy who was part of the Pats game. Three good secondaries, 3 ugly losses. Makes you wonder what his numbers would be if he didn't get 6 freebies a year vs the all turd division.

I heard more than one pundit guarantee he would be MVP this year. Maybe Luck believed what he heard too.

NFL.com had a panel where 4 out of 6 picked him for MVP. I posted after that the only way he doesn't win it is buy completely screwing up and thus far he has but nearly every pundit is casting all blame anywhere but at him.

Even with these first two games it is likely he is still considered a front runner for the MVP trophy sad as that is.

Without the hype and excuses I think he would be much more likable but to anyone who is not a potato it is pretty obvious he isn't yet where the pundits have placed him since his junior year at Stanford. That being in the hall.

As skip bayless says...Andrew LOCK...as in lock first ballot HOF lmao...sarcastically of course

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Laloosh":1l3fbz67 said:
WilsonMVP":1l3fbz67 said:
I said earlier in the year last year when Luck was off to a hot start how he could throw 60TDs and I wouldnt care that all that would matter is the playoffs and if he wasnt a turnover machine again. Well, he didnt dissapoint

If you want to go by INT%...reg season is 2.5 and playoffs jump up to 4.6...YIKES....And his TD percentage goes down from 4.7 to 3.5.

Wilson btw...regular season 2.1 int percentage going up to 3 in the playoffs (outside of GB game he has 1 hailmary int against falcons and the last play of the superbowl) in 8 playoff games

His TD % is 5.7 and goes up to 5.9 in the playoffs

I'm a big Wilson fan but excluding his NFCC numbers isn't exactly comparing apples to apples. Either compare them or don't but you can't pick and choose which games to include and hope to have any level of credibility.

(not sure if any of the stats that followed included the NFCC but it read like you were excluding it)

All those numbers were every game each has played, I didnt omit anything. I just wanted to point out that the GB game has killed Wilsons percentages because before that he only had that ATL INT which idk how that could even count. The fact he still had a chance to lob one into the endzone after the D failed was a miracle.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1c9xdszu said:
*I put no stock in the Colts pre-Luck/post-Luck records as an indication of his abilities. They tanked on purpose in 2011, and they've been beating up on cupcakes ever since. The Rams would be coming off their third consecutive division championship if they played there. Conversely, the Colts are probably a perennial 6-10 team in the last three years of the NFC West.

*I don't put much stock in his raw numbers or his fantasy value. Often he puts up impressive yardage by simply getting out of a hole he dug for himself. Great QBs don't force these opportunities upon themselves as often as he does. INTs are excusable given the right context, but the manner and timing in which he gets them usually aren't of the excusable variety.

*Here's what I put stock in: when I watch him throw, I'm often wow'ed. The variation on the types of throws he makes, his ability to move, see the field, and step up in the pocket are all probably at elite level. I get the same feeling when I watch Aaron Rodgers, except Aaron Rodgers doesn't make mistakes. And that's what sets him and Brady and Manning apart from Luck. They understand their match-ups and don't press their luck if it's unnecessary. They'll eat a series to avoid a mistake. I'm not sure Luck has learned that lesson yet.

He puts up impressive yardage because he throws the ball 600 times a year

Scottemojo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":13oimhrj said:
*I put no stock in the Colts pre-Luck/post-Luck records as an indication of his abilities. They tanked on purpose in 2011, and they've been beating up on cupcakes ever since. The Rams would be coming off their third consecutive division championship if they played there. Conversely, the Colts are probably a perennial 6-10 team in the last three years of the NFC West.

*I don't put much stock in his raw numbers or his fantasy value. Often he puts up impressive yardage by simply getting out of a hole he dug for himself. Great QBs don't force these opportunities upon themselves as often as he does. INTs are excusable given the right context, but the manner and timing in which he gets them usually aren't of the excusable variety.

*Here's what I put stock in: when I watch him throw, I'm often wow'ed. The variation on the types of throws he makes, his ability to move, see the field, and step up in the pocket are all probably at elite level. I get the same feeling when I watch Aaron Rodgers, except Aaron Rodgers doesn't make mistakes. And that's what sets him and Brady and Manning apart from Luck. They understand their match-ups and don't press their luck if it's unnecessary. They'll eat a series to avoid a mistake. I'm not sure Luck has learned that lesson yet.
This I agree with,every word. all the talent, but not all of the game situation thinking.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
minormillikin":3mabcku9 said:
Ambrose83":3mabcku9 said:
TheRealDTM":3mabcku9 said:
He is a great QB who is responsible for the entire offense. He does all of the line protections and has complete audible control of the offense, he was constantly making the right calls tonight and got overwhelmed by a top 5 defense. The picks were all in 1v1 situations and the first that put them in a hole was off of Andre Johnsons hands. His team was down and he was trying to get them back in it.

None of his picks were as inexcusable as the RW screen pass int.

So the Jets are a top 5 d now?

They actually looked pretty good. 10 or more turnovers in first 2 weeks. The interceptions tonight were mainly caused by forcing bad throws. The pressure they got was great all night. I don't think the Colts oline is that great though. The pockets were collapsing instantly.
They're padding their stats on Luck.