Andrew luck

RussB

Reaction score
Most overrated player in the NFL. Constantly gets talked about as if hes the next aaron rodgers. throws more picks than any QB and nothing special about him. Tyrod taylor is better than him

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":js51i83r said:
WilsonMVP":js51i83r said:
Hawk-Lock":js51i83r said:
StoneCold":js51i83r said:
Early Gore was ripping off some big runs. Almost everyone was called back by holding. Luck never had time to throw. Indy ahs the worst O line I've seen this year. Still Luck tossed up some poor decisions that got picked. If I'm the coach I'm none to happy to with that.

I think it goes to show that the QB can be good, but without a good or even a decent Oline, they can look crappy. RW has not looked that good this year either. Not as bad as Luck, but not good.

SC

The Oline doesn't help him at all, but the fact that the Indy defense is so bad he feels like he has to force the ball down field to give his team a chance. If RW played with an awful defense, I think we would see his INT's increase.

The Colts GM should be fired. Acquiring both Andre Johnson and Phillip Dorsett made no sense.

So when its 0-0 its the defenses fault he throws what was almost a pick six...mhhmmm :roll:

Since the start of LAST year Luck leads the entire NFL in total turnovers. I dont care what the supporting cast is around you that makes you an average QB at best and its not like the trend gets better in the playoffs. In the same ammount of games in the playoffs Sanchez has the same ammount of TDs as Luck with WAY WAY less turnovers

Im sure this will get bumped in the next couple weeks though because he has to go through 3 games against the Titans, Jags and Texans and im sure he and the colts will win at least 2 of them

When it was 0-0 the pick bounced up and off the hands of Andre Johnson. If that happened to RW no one would be blaming him.

It was a bad pass so yes I would be blaming Wilson for throwing it behind the WR

GFang

Reaction score
Ambrose83":166ik36o said:
Can someone please tell me why everyone loves this guy? I have said he is overrated more then anyone. .. ever.. dudes a turnover machine. .. he always gets the pass... they win.. it's luck.. they lose ..he has no weapons... sorry, his line is still better then ours, gore was supposed to fix the running game and Johnson was a huge pick up. They have played 2 teams with nfc west quality ds and luck has looked ridiculous. . How long does it take to admit that joke of a div pats his stats.

He's the ultimate Great White Hope. #1 pick, personable, great (but not elite) talent, went to an Ivy School, and runs over people like an old school player. He's no Aaron Rodgers though. Cal >>> Stanfurd.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Luck is damn talented. So much so that he trusts his talent too much, why else would he challenge Revis while throwing falling backwards. Also, lets not forget that all those stats are racked with one of the leagues easiest schedules. However, his last three real games have been vs the Pats, Bills, and Jets, who have a guy who was part of the Pats game. Three good secondaries, 3 ugly losses. Makes you wonder what his numbers would be if he didn't get 6 freebies a year vs the all turd division.

I heard more than one pundit guarantee he would be MVP this year. Maybe Luck believed what he heard too.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Scottemojo":u6pvu9rz said:
Luck is damn talented. So much so that he trusts his talent too much, why else would he challenge Revis while throwing falling backwards. Also, lets not forget that all those stats are racked with one of the leagues easiest schedules. However, his last three real games have been vs the Pats, Bills, and Jets, who have a guy who was part of the Pats game. Three good secondaries, 3 ugly losses. Makes you wonder what his numbers would be if he didn't get 6 freebies a year vs the all turd division.

I heard more than one pundit guarantee he would be MVP this year. Maybe Luck believed what he heard too.

NFL.com had a panel where 4 out of 6 picked him for MVP. I posted after that the only way he doesn't win it is buy completely screwing up and thus far he has but nearly every pundit is casting all blame anywhere but at him.

Even with these first two games it is likely he is still considered a front runner for the MVP trophy sad as that is.

Without the hype and excuses I think he would be much more likable but to anyone who is not a potato it is pretty obvious he isn't yet where the pundits have placed him since his junior year at Stanford. That being in the hall.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3dsozv81 said:
Can someone please tell me why everyone loves this guy?

Many different factors:

*That he was supposed to be the best QB prospect in forever and has generally played well definitely plays a role.

*That he turned around a 2-14 Colts team into an 11-5 Colts team in his first year definitely plays a role.

* That the Colts have gone 11-5 and made the playoffs every year he has played definitely plays a role

* That save for a few guys (Davis, Castonzo, Hilton, Mathis), none of whom are even remotely in the conversation for being a top player at their position, save for Luck the Colts don't really have any players that the rest of the league envies definitely plays a role.

* That last year he led the league in TD passes and was #3 in yards (really hard to argue that he wasn't better than 2/3rds of the holy trinity of Manning, Brady, and Rodgers) definitely plays a role.

* That he does a lot of little things very well that almost all young QBs usually aren't good at well definitely plays a role.

* That he's easily the most complete QB of all the young QBs definitely plays a role.

* That the hangup for him is turnovers, but most experts don't just look at end of year stats and look at int. RATES (for which he was 27th in the league, right there with Manning) definitely plays a role.

*That professional analysts aren't all Seahawks fans and don't have a weird hangup about Andrew Luck and/or implicitly believe that complimenting Luck's ability somehow takes away from Russell Wilson also plays a role.

:th2thumbs:

EDIT: FWIW I also find the argument about his division to be really shallow. Like everyone else he only gets to play in the division and schemes he gets to play in. It's like saying Sherman is overrated because he's protected by ET3 and doesn't have to shadow, or Wilson is overrated because of the Hawks D and Lynch. If someone doesn't like those arguments, they shouldn't like the Luck divisional argument either. Within the confines of who he's asked to play, and what he's asked to do, he's really, really, really good. It's no different than what I'd say about Sherman or Wilson.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Luck is supremely talented but makes boneheaded decisions a couple times per game. He makes way too many turnovers that ultimately put their team behind, sometimes too far to come back. He gets his stats padded from these and at the end usually atleast STARTS a comeback. I specifically remember the Broncos Colts game last year - he played awful in the first half, putting them in an unwinnable situation, but then tore it up in the second half to make it appear closer. He will throw a backfooted pick six but follow it up next series with a 30 yard sideline over the shoulder beauty.

Plus getting 6 almost guaranteed 300+ yard 3 TD games per season in his division doesn't hurt. I think if he were to be in a division where defenses are actually average, the shine would have worn off some by now.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2gb5w6lu said:
Ambrose83":2gb5w6lu said:
Can someone please tell me why everyone loves this guy?

Many different factors:

*That he was supposed to be the best QB prospect in forever and has generally played well definitely plays a role.

*That he turned around a 2-14 Colts team into an 11-5 Colts team in his first year definitely plays a role.

* That the Colts have gone 11-5 and made the playoffs every year he has played definitely plays a role

* That save for a few guys (Davis, Castonzo, Hilton, Mathis), none of whom are even remotely in the conversation for being a top player at their position, save for Luck the Colts don't really have any players that the rest of the league envies definitely plays a role.

* That last year he led the league in TD passes and was #3 in yards (really hard to argue that he wasn't better than 2/3rds of the holy trinity of Manning, Brady, and Rodgers) definitely plays a role.

* That he does a lot of little things very well that almost all young QBs usually aren't good at well definitely plays a role.

* That he's easily the most complete QB of all the young QBs definitely plays a role.

* That the hangup for him is turnovers, but most experts don't just look at end of year stats and look at int. RATES (for which he was 27th in the league, right there with Manning) definitely plays a role.

*That professional analysts aren't all Seahawks fans and don't have a weird hangup about Andrew Luck and/or implicitly believe that complimenting Luck's ability somehow takes away from Russell Wilson also plays a role.

The all turd division talk has merit for one reason: it explains why he is so bad in the playoffs.
I would love him as QB of my team, and I enjoy watching him and his brand of football. But he is 12-0 vs his 3 patty cakes the last two years, and pretty much .500 vs the rest of the league. and even worse in January.

EDIT: FWIW I also find the argument about his division to be really shallow. Like everyone else he only gets to play in the division and schemes he gets to play in. It's like saying Sherman is overrated because he's protected by ET3 and doesn't have to shadow, or Wilson is overrated because of the Hawks D and Lynch. If someone doesn't like those arguments, they shouldn't like the Luck divisional argument either. Within the confines of who he's asked to play, and what he's asked to do, he's really, really, really good. It's no different than what I'd say about Sherman or Wilson.

OP
OP
Ambrose83

Ambrose83

Reaction score
The he took a 2-14 team and turned it to a 11-5 team is bullshit, they had over 40 roster changes from the team that ranked to get him and the team his rookie year. The shitty div he plays in is a legit thing, it's like comparing the huge stats of a mountainted west team and alambama... it's not the same level of talent... he dominates the bad teams and looks like hot garbage against 97% of the good teams. ... it's a trend for a reason and it's not a lack of talent around him.

kearly

Reaction score
That was a well thought out and convincing post Popeyejones.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Popeyejones":jz7h96gy said:
Many different factors:

Great post.

Andrew Luck is one of the best QB's in this league. No argument there, I mean just watch Colts vs Seahawks 2013 game. He was making plays that I don't think any other QB in this league can make other than Rodgers. I have always been impressed with Luck but doing what he did against that historically good defense was something else. Colts are lucky to go from Manning to Luck.

lobohawk

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2ny9el4g said:
Popeyejones":2ny9el4g said:
Many different factors:

Great post.

Andrew Luck is one of the best QB's in this league. No argument there, I mean just watch Colts vs Seahawks 2013 game. He was making plays that I don't think any other QB in this league can make other than Rodgers. I have always been impressed with Luck but doing what he did against that historically good defense was something else. Colts are lucky to go from Manning to Luck.

Oh, he's a great QB with huge potential. But he's not a top 3 QB and the pundits love to proclaim him such. He's yet to accomplish what these veterans have (Rivers, Romo, Manning, Rogers, Brady, Brees, Ben), but he's listed as better than most of them. Pundits and Colt fans feel compelled to push him to the top, but he's not there yet. To call out the hyperbole in relation to Luck isn't a lack of respect. Rather splash of reality.

p.s. calling out the crappy Colt schedule is valid, especially when you use stats like #3 in yards and tops in TDs. Those stats don't happen in a vacuum. They happen in part because of the crappy teams they play. Of course it's not Luck's fault, but it does affect his output and to ignore it is to be disingenuous.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":35jqxtse said:
Popeyejones":35jqxtse said:
Many different factors:

Great post.

I said earlier in the year last year when Luck was off to a hot start how he could throw 60TDs and I wouldnt care that all that would matter is the playoffs and if he wasnt a turnover machine again. Well, he didnt dissapoint

If you want to go by INT%...reg season is 2.5 and playoffs jump up to 4.6...YIKES....And his TD percentage goes down from 4.7 to 3.5.

Wilson btw...regular season 2.1 int percentage going up to 3 in the playoffs (outside of GB game he has 1 hailmary int against falcons and the last play of the superbowl) in 8 playoff games

His TD % is 5.7 and goes up to 5.9 in the playoffs

Laloosh

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":rvr6xh2r said:
I said earlier in the year last year when Luck was off to a hot start how he could throw 60TDs and I wouldnt care that all that would matter is the playoffs and if he wasnt a turnover machine again. Well, he didnt dissapoint

If you want to go by INT%...reg season is 2.5 and playoffs jump up to 4.6...YIKES....And his TD percentage goes down from 4.7 to 3.5.

Wilson btw...regular season 2.1 int percentage going up to 3 in the playoffs (outside of GB game he has 1 hailmary int against falcons and the last play of the superbowl) in 8 playoff games

His TD % is 5.7 and goes up to 5.9 in the playoffs

I'm a big Wilson fan but excluding his NFCC numbers isn't exactly comparing apples to apples. Either compare them or don't but you can't pick and choose which games to include and hope to have any level of credibility.

(not sure if any of the stats that followed included the NFCC but it read like you were excluding it)

rideaducati

Reaction score
I wish Russell had balls like Luck does. I'm not liking Russell's reluctance to throw the damn ball.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
*I put no stock in the Colts pre-Luck/post-Luck records as an indication of his abilities. They tanked on purpose in 2011, and they've been beating up on cupcakes ever since. The Rams would be coming off their third consecutive division championship if they played there. Conversely, the Colts are probably a perennial 6-10 team in the last three years of the NFC West.

*I don't put much stock in his raw numbers or his fantasy value. Often he puts up impressive yardage by simply getting out of a hole he dug for himself. Great QBs don't force these opportunities upon themselves as often as he does. INTs are excusable given the right context, but the manner and timing in which he gets them usually aren't of the excusable variety.

*Here's what I put stock in: when I watch him throw, I'm often wow'ed. The variation on the types of throws he makes, his ability to move, see the field, and step up in the pocket are all probably at elite level. I get the same feeling when I watch Aaron Rodgers, except Aaron Rodgers doesn't make mistakes. And that's what sets him and Brady and Manning apart from Luck. They understand their match-ups and don't press their luck if it's unnecessary. They'll eat a series to avoid a mistake. I'm not sure Luck has learned that lesson yet.

OP
OP
Ambrose83

Ambrose83

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2h7heysj said:
*I put no stock in the Colts pre-Luck/post-Luck records as an indication of his abilities. They tanked on purpose in 2011, and they've been beating up on cupcakes ever since. The Rams would be coming off their third consecutive division championship if they played there. Conversely, the Colts are probably a perennial 6-10 team in the last three years of the NFC West.

*I don't put much stock in his raw numbers or his fantasy value. Often he puts up impressive yardage by simply getting out of a hole he dug for himself. Great QBs don't force these opportunities upon themselves as often as he does. INTs are excusable given the right context, but the manner and timing in which he gets them usually aren't of the excusable variety.

*Here's what I put stock in: when I watch him throw, I'm often wow'ed. The variation on the types of throws he makes, his ability to move, see the field, and step up in the pocket are all probably at elite level. I get the same feeling when I watch Aaron Rodgers, except Aaron Rodgers doesn't make mistakes. And that's what sets him and Brady and Manning apart from Luck. They'll eat a series to avoid a mistake. I'm not sure Luck has learned that lesson yet.

I agree with that, I just think the brakes need to be applied here on how good he is.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3cfonl6j said:
TheRealDTM":3cfonl6j said:
He is a great QB who is responsible for the entire offense. He does all of the line protections and has complete audible control of the offense, he was constantly making the right calls tonight and got overwhelmed by a top 5 defense. The picks were all in 1v1 situations and the first that put them in a hole was off of Andre Johnsons hands. His team was down and he was trying to get them back in it.

None of his picks were as inexcusable as the RW screen pass int.

So the Jets are a top 5 d now?

Uh, yea. Yes they are.

Luck is trying to do too much right now. He's pressing. Pagano actually got into it with their GM over personnel. Pagano wasn't happy about drafting Dorsett in the 1st when he wanted some defense. If the HC is pissed about how the team is getting set up, then you know it's not a good situation.

Threedee

Reaction score
For everyone who has wanted to compare Wilson and Luck behind porous lines against stout defenses, you can now do that post @STL and the two Colts games.

OP
OP
Ambrose83

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Hawks46":v9cgykr2 said:
Ambrose83":v9cgykr2 said:
TheRealDTM":v9cgykr2 said:
He is a great QB who is responsible for the entire offense. He does all of the line protections and has complete audible control of the offense, he was constantly making the right calls tonight and got overwhelmed by a top 5 defense. The picks were all in 1v1 situations and the first that put them in a hole was off of Andre Johnsons hands. His team was down and he was trying to get them back in it.

None of his picks were as inexcusable as the RW screen pass int.

So the Jets are a top 5 d now?

Uh, yea. Yes they are.

Luck is trying to do too much right now. He's pressing. Pagano actually got into it with their GM over personnel. Pagano wasn't happy about drafting Dorsett in the 1st when he wanted some defense. If the HC is pissed about how the team is getting set up, then you know it's not a good situation.

2 games into the season.... means nothing IMO, where did they finish last season?