49ers DL coach Jim Tomsula promoted to HC

the ditch

Reaction score
I kind of feel embarrassed for Tomsula from that interview, like, he might be a nice guy and the players might like him but that was just painful. He was a DC in Europe NFL and also a head coach over there before becoming the interim at SF yet he can't put together a coherent sentence about what his football philosophy is or the direction he wants to go. He looks completely clueless.

It's obvious that Jed and Trent want to run that team (into the ground) together and they just wanted a yes man.

I wonder if Quinn leaves we can snatch of Fangio to be our DC, that would be a good move by us.

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3u0abst4 said:
Speaking of solid assistants not wanting to work with Baalke/York.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/556148547079667712[/tweet]

Looks like the older Shanahan might get the job.

Dianna Marie Russini of NBC4 in Washington reported the news on Shanahan and she’s now reporting that Mike Shanahan is “in play” for the offensive coordinator job on Jim Tomsula’s staff. Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com has heard the same, although he reports only that Shanahan could take a job on the coaching staff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ers-staff/

kearly

Reaction score
Interesting thing about Trestman, he had previously been the 49ers OC way back in 1995 and 1996 with Steve Young. The 49ers had an elite offense those seasons, but there were so many complaints about Trestman's playcalling that Bill Walsh had to return to the team in 1996 to advise. I think this is why we have never heard much in terms of Trestman rumors to SF, I don't think he's well regarded there despite the surface level success the team had during his tenure.

The defensive coordinator on those teams was Pete Carroll. It's funny how things change.

Jville

Reaction score
Observations:

1. What has happen to the 49ers is worse than what I anticipated.

2. I never considered the possibility that the huge communications gap between the media and team spokespersons could actually widen. Recent developments go a long way toward insuring the continuation of a highly polarized Bay Area press.

3. Although they will keep the non threatening Jim Tomsula in the loop, Trent Baalke looks to be the primary influence in the selection of both offensive and defensive coordinators.

4. Jed York is the ceiling.

5. Whatever unfolds ....... can't possibly be worse than Ken Behring.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
More 'good news' for Niner fans . . .

Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area reports that Jason Tarver is expected to make the move from the Raiders to the 49ers to be part of Jim Tomsula’s first staff.

Tarver was the Raiders defensive coordinator for the last three seasons and it was not a tenure marked by great success on that side of the ball in Oakland.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ers-staff/

Because Tarver has done such a great job improving the Raiders' defense:
2012 -- 28th in points allowed (28 pts/game)
2013 -- 29th in points allowed (28 pts/game)
2014 -- 32nd in points allowed (28 pts/game)

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Throughout the 2014 regular season, it was an open secret in league circles that 49ers defensive line coach Jim Tomsula would succeed head coach Jim Harbaugh, if/when (when) Harbaugh left. But once Harbaugh left, there were no reports, announcements, or indications that Tomsula had even interviewed for the job.

According to Tom Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News, Tomsula interviewed three times for the job.

The first came at the outset of the process. The second came just before the second interview of Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase. The third came after Gase’s second sitting for the job.

So why did the 49ers keep it quiet? They surely knew that the word was out that Tomsula was “the guy.” If it had been obvious that they were interviewing him, others may have declined — like multiple candidates have declined in Denver now that it appears Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak has the inside track for the job there. The ability to interview those other candidates creates the impression that Tomsula won a contest he was already destined to win.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ree-times/

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
pehawk":2ok68ght said:
DavidSeven":2ok68ght said:
Speaking of solid assistants not wanting to work with Baalke/York.....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/556148547079667712[/tweet]

Hmm, that's really odd. I mean, a few weeks ago a lot of the 49er fans on this forum told me I was wrong in assuming coaches will avoid working there. I was just being biased.

It couldn't be I've been more accurate prognosticating and interpreting the 49er situation better than their own fans, could it?

You would have to be absolutely crazy to want into the 49ers situation. They are so dysfunctional it's beyond crazy.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Jville":w3vsindu said:
Observations:

2. I never considered the possibility that the huge communications gap between the media and team spokespersons could actually widen. Recent developments go a long way toward insuring the continuation of a highly polarized Bay Area press.

3. Although they will keep the non threatening Jim Tomsula in the loop, Trent Baalke looks to be the primary influence in the selection of both offensive and defensive coordinators.

Man it's worse than Ken Behring by far. The Yorks are absolute TOOLS. The dumbest owners in the league.

Maulbert

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3kindni6 said:
Jville":3kindni6 said:
Observations:

Man it's worse than Ken Behring by far. The Yorks are absolute TOOLS. The dumbest owners in the league.

Has Jed York tried to strip your team to the bone and move them 1,000 miles away? No? Then it's not as bad as Ken Behring. He actually had the Seahawks equipment packed away in an Orange County elementary school for a week in 1996 and held workouts at the Rams old practice facility before the NFL told him to get his *** back to Seattle.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":2rkqgrb2 said:
SanDiego49er":2rkqgrb2 said:
Jville":2rkqgrb2 said:
Observations:

Has Jed York tried to strip your team to the bone and move them 1,000 miles away? No? Then it's not as bad as Ken Behring. He actually had the Seahawks equipment packed away in an Orange County elementary school for a week in 1996 and held workouts at the Rams old practice facility before the NFL told him to get his *** back to Seattle.

:shock:

LOL. I stand corrected. I was reading the Wikipedia page for Ken Behring. I guess for a time he had the team headquarters and administrative offices in Anaheim CA. Wow. I never knew that. All the while that the team was based in Seattle of course. That's absolutely incredible. He must of been an awful owner. I never knew that or heard about that before.

Trust me though the Yorks are pretty bad. Think like west coast Dan Snyder. I mean they are absolutely awful.

I like your owner a lot. A super rich Microsoft guy. He hires the top tier talent and pays the top salaries. He has the best facilities. He stays out of the way of football decisions. I really wish we had something even 50% as good. Trust me. It's a huge advantage to have an owner like you got. And a huge disadvantage to have Ken Behring. Which is like what we got now. You got to fight your own organization and the other teams at the same time to win. That's too hard.

Maulbert

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":1839dewp said:
Maulbert":1839dewp said:
SanDiego49er":1839dewp said:
Jville":1839dewp said:
Observations:

:shock:

LOL. I stand corrected. I was reading the Wikipedia page for Ken Behring. I guess for a time he had the team headquarters and administrative offices in Anaheim CA. Wow. I never knew that. All the while that the team was based in Seattle of course. That's absolutely incredible. He must of been an awful owner. I never knew that or heard about that before.

Trust me though the Yorks are pretty bad. Think like west coast Dan Snyder. I mean they are absolutely awful.

I like your owner a lot. A super rich Microsoft guy. He hires the top tier talent and pays the top salaries. He has the best facilities. He stays out of the way of football decisions. I really wish we had something even 50% as good. Trust me. It's a huge advantage to have an owner like you got. And a huge disadvantage to have Ken Behring. Which is like what we got now. You got to fight your own organization and the other teams at the same time to win. That's too hard.

Sorry if I sounded a little defensive, Behring brings it out in me. One of the worst owners in NFL history, not trying to downplay your own ownership issues.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Never thought I'd say this but... those poor Niner bastards, I feel for them.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
With a little time to think about it, I suspect that the direction this team goes scheme wise will be Pistol offense more than ever. this move was silver spoon owner thinking he has to win Bowls, and the closest they got was a playoff run centered on Kaep's legs. Tomsula is already talking about the players dictating scheme, I see no other direction this can go. The way that harbs screwed the pooch was trying to make Kaep a pocket passer.

The Niners are going to be one of the most interesting teams to watch next year. They may run the most college offense in the league.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":31pwlsvt said:
5_Golden_Rings":31pwlsvt said:
The upside is that the players will run through a wall for him. The downside is that he's a puppet and everyone knows it, which will make hiring quality coordinators difficult.
Puppet is the term I was going to use. This whole thing just seems "Raiders" to me. Talking about defensive scheme changes? Is that for real? Is Baalke or York going to be sending plays in from the suite now?

It just looks like this is a temp hire until they find the guy they really want, but they will never get that guy if the choices are limited to Baalke or York. They will be shopping inexperienced guys, without an established group of peeps that just want a chance. That presser was painful because they made it sound like Tomsula was in high demand. The whole "boxes checked" crap. I can just see the list of boxes.

Cheap
Cooperative
Cheap
Expendable
Cheap
No Spine
Cheap
The niners situation kind of mirrors the post 2002 Seattle Mariners. They had a successful manager in Pinella, who like to speak up to the front office and would rattle their cages from time to time. He quit and since then, until Llyod, they hired "yes men" that wouldn't cause waves. Look at the train wreck that was.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
After listening to Tomsula's interview on KNBR and PC here, I'm literally floored and trying to figure out just what the heck Jed York is thinking. My best friend in the world is a 49ers fan ... and I'm going to make it a priority to call him today because he's liable to be on suicide watch.

You know, I hear what Kip and Scott are saying ... but there is far more to being a head coach in the National Football league than simply having football smarts. Do I believe Tomsula is a smart X's and O's guy? I actually do. I'd say in terms of that, he's Rain Man. But using that analogy (if you were the owner of an NFL franchise) would you put Rain Man in charge of the whole thing? Absolutely, positively not.

The man may know how to draw up a chess plan of attack that would absolutely trounce Bobby Fischer. The question I have is -- can he effectively COMMUNICATE that to his players? Football at this level is about so much more than being able to scheme and game plan. It is about so much more than what he can draw up on a chalk board. It's about being able to INSPIRE those around you. It's here that I totally disagree with Kip and say that I don't see great communication skills whatsoever. He may know how to talk to players 1:1 ... but managing a group ... getting them all to buy in -- to truly BELIEVE in the same vision ... keeping them all rowing in the same direction ... and to be able to raise their chins back up when they fall flat -- that's a whole different animal. I don't see any evidence from what I've heard that Tomsula has that.

Compare that with Pete Carroll's first press conference? Night and day. Thanks to HunnyBadger for re-posting that. I re-watched the first few minutes of that just for reference ... and Pete Carroll literally talks for the first 12 minutes he's up on the podium straight. And what do you hear? You hear passion. You hear excitement. You hear clearly about his visions for this football team, the connections to the fan base, and for everything that it could be. And everything that Pete Carroll laid out for us all in his press conference right there from Day One -- has come true.

As a Seahawks fan, I'm solidly on the "dancing as Rome burns" side of things. As a pure football fan though, I can't see this as anything other than a massive mistake that York, Baalke, and the 49ers will very quickly live to regret. I'd say this move right here firmly cements Jeff Fisher and the Rams as our #1 Rival in the NFC West as we move forward.

ringless

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't watch the full interview but what I watched was horrendous. Tomsula is by no means competent and as Pehawk pointed out he really has no experience except at a very minimal level which is a great point. It's going to be a baptism by fire and considering who they are bringing in to be the DC things just keep getting worse. We are about to witness a team go from being 2nd-3rd best in the league to possibly being one of the worst teams. This is a team that had a winning culture, and a winning culture is hard to develop. Now it is going to be a losing culture and as we all know, a losing culture can last a long time, even into the next HC as it becomes a mentality. They use to have a team built with a strong foundation, with some of the better quality materials, and the Yorks are cutting corners at every opportunity that presents itself. They talk about how whey expect to win Super Bowls; then take the Ferrari engine out of the Ferrari, and replace it with a civic engine. While pouring cement into the trunk.

I truly did enjoy watching their defense play, and if I was a fan of the team watching such a quick free fall at the speed of light would be more than upsetting. They had a winning formula and now it is completely gone. This team could very easily be the worst team in the division moving forward. I'm just shocked at the all the events that have taken place this season, and every time I think it can't get worse it just keeps gaining momentum.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Niners are going to be one of the most interesting teams to watch next year. They may run the most college offense in the league.
Haven't they seen Washington? The results aren't pretty and it's a recipe to kill your quarterback at this level.

Latest posts