49ers DL coach Jim Tomsula promoted to HC

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2lrbk2w5 said:
The Niners are going to be one of the most interesting teams to watch next year. They may run the most college offense in the league.
Haven't they seen Washington? The results aren't pretty and it's a recipe to kill your quarterback at this level.
I said interesting, not good, dude.

Besides, if there is a QB in the league that should run a true pistol, it is Kaepernick. And why should getting Kaepernick killed matter? He has a cut friendly contract, an expiring amount of good will from his own fans, and a limited ability to run a read oriented offense. When he ran the ball he damn near beat us in Seattle in the NFCCG. When he tried to read a D, he lost the same game with 3 4th QTR picks.

I know, Washington. But don't blame the offense for RGIII getting hurt, RGIII still to this day has not learned to avoid big hits, no matter what offense he runs. His first year=Pistol, 10 wins. Since, no Pistol=suck. Kaep has run quite a bit of read option and I don't recall him taking many hits.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1eobgtgn said:
MizzouHawkGal":1eobgtgn said:
The Niners are going to be one of the most interesting teams to watch next year. They may run the most college offense in the league.
Haven't they seen Washington? The results aren't pretty and it's a recipe to kill your quarterback at this level.
I said interesting, not good, dude.

Besides, if there is a QB in the league that should run a true pistol, it is Kaepernick. And why should getting Kaepernick killed matter? He has a cut friendly contract, an expiring amount of good will from his own fans, and a limited ability to run a read oriented offense. When he ran the ball he damn near beat us in Seattle in the NFCCG. When he tried to read a D, he lost the same game with 3 4th QTR picks.

I know, Washington. But don't blame the offense for RGIII getting hurt, RGIII still to this day has not learned to avoid big hits, no matter what offense he runs. His first year=Pistol, 10 wins. Since, no Pistol=suck. Kaep has run quite a bit of read option and I don't recall him taking many hits.
I do agree that if anybody can make The Pistol work longterm in the NFL it would be Kaepernick and that it's their best and most logical option by far. Him getting killed or solved because of a simplistic offense matters not at all to me.

In fact, I will enjoy watching the 49er's be a trainwreck until Wilson retires and probably beyond. It's just shocking that they are willingly making themselves into long-term losers.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
You know, my take on this whole thing in terms of Tomsula -- I don't believe that scheme and all of that really matters in this case. Now I know that sounds ludicrous on the surface, but as I said above, there is so much more to being the Grand Poobah of an NFL team than X's and O's and the ability to draw up schemes that could make even Stephen Hawking's head spin.

We're talking about HEAD coach -- where Communication and the ability to Inspire is key. Can he effectively communicate his vision of the way things should be and get everyone around him pumped up to pursue that vision with reckless abandon?

A head coach has to be able to make his players BELIEVE. He has to be able to get all his guys rowing in the same direction. It's not enough that they just "Like" him -- they have to be willing to run through brick walls for him. A head coach has to be able to make his players believe that they CAN reach seemingly impossible goals - even after suffering heart breaking losses.

And it's not enough to be able to relate to (or handle) people and players 1:1. You can be the nicest and warmest, fuzziest guy in the world and fail miserably when it comes to managing groups. Group management (and to be able to do it well) is a whole different animal entirely. Leading groups and getting them to all row in the same exact direction with selfless vigor and passion is an ability that I just don't believe this guy has (at least not at this point).

Can Jim Tomsula be successful as the head coach of the SF 49ers? It may be extremely unfair, but from my 10,000 ft. view vantage point, I'd say the answer to that question is a resounding NO. Dude, when I look at Jim Tomsula I just see a Rain Man. I see a guy whom I believe has academic/football intelligence ... but is short on Social Skills/People Intelligence (at least to the degree that is necessary to succeed in the NFL). I don't see him as a Captain. I just see him as a lifelong 1st Mate.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
He actually sounds like the character Cliff Clavin from Cheers.

He must be an amazing football guy for his players to be so staunchly behind him, but wow...that was bad.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":w91aex2l said:

He must be an amazing football guy for his players to be so staunchly behind him, but wow...that was bad.

Yeah, I think Cliff Clavin is a good analogy actually. Cliff was a genius -- very smart and very likable, warm, etc. But honestly, would you ever put Cliff as your HEAD guy -- the Grand Poobah who's in charge of leading the entire group in to battle and managing the whole crew? I wouldn't.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
You think that brand new stadium was empty this year, just wait. A couple of losing seasons and it will be a ghost town.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2yzbgeaz said:

Jim Mora had his players behind him also till he was a head coach here in seattle, then thru Kickers under the bus etc. He is still looking at that UW gig I bet, timing is everything ya know, it's a long way from Atlanta when he made that remark.

rlkats

Reaction score
Im being gracious in saying he seems like a nice great guy. But the dude sounds dumb as hell. Hopefully he turns out good not great just good. I think thats all i can muster as of now. Im very close to not giving a shit. Love the old Niners and the tradition. Not this im a bitch and cant handle a little attitude. So we fire the best coaching staff in decades.

True i dont know the whole story but i think its obvious they care about who has a bigger penis than winning

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
chris98251":13wdb20v said:
TwistedHusky":13wdb20v said:

Jim Mora had his players behind him also till he was a head coach here in seattle, then thru Kickers under the bus etc. He is still looking at that UW gig I bet, timing is everything ya know, it's a long way from Atlanta when he made that remark.

Yes most certainly Jim Mora did ... and led his players all the way behind him to a 5-11 season. With how much that coaching staff has been gutted, it's hard to see the Niners as anything but bottom feeders next season.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
rlkats":2nngz854 said:
Im being gracious in saying he seems like a nice great guy. But the dude sounds dumb as hell. Hopefully he turns out good not great just good. I think thats all i can muster as of now. Im very close to not giving a shit. Love the old Niners and the tradition. Not this im a bitch and cant handle a little attitude. So we fire the best coaching staff in decades.

True i dont know the whole story but i think its obvious they care about who has a bigger penis than winning
That would account for hiring the guy who looks like Ron Jeremy.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Scottemojo":j3wxc1ra said:
rlkats":j3wxc1ra said:

That would account for hiring the guy who looks like Ron Jeremy.

Same level of quality dialogue as Ron Jeremy as well.

Maulbert

Reaction score
10923748_10203661692164656_5544845315752248245_n.jpg

kearly

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2jicouri said:
It's here that I totally disagree with Kip and say that I don't see great communication skills whatsoever. He may know how to talk to players 1:1 ... but managing a group ... getting them all to buy in -- to truly BELIEVE in the same vision ... keeping them all rowing in the same direction ... and to be able to raise their chins back up when they fall flat -- that's a whole different animal.

We don't disagree.

kearly

Reaction score
If Baalke could go back in time and talk himself out of hiring Tomsula, I think he would. Has to be some major buyers remorse going on right now.

hawk45

Reaction score
Even before the presser the kind opinion was that this could work if the coordinators were top-notch. That is essentially code for "our head coach brings nothing to the table." Even with the best coordinators in the game I don't think it's possible to succeed consistently if the HC is what we've seen in the one-on-one interview and at the presser.

It's not a question of what he said or didn't say. He was non-committal, he wouldn't get pinned down since he doesn't have a staff yet, that all makes perfect sense. That still leaves all kinds of ways to respond that don't leave you looking like an idiot. All coaches do is just state the obvious when they don't want to say something.

Say it's tough to get specific without first assembling a staff but this is the NFCW so you know we have to run the ball and stop the run. Say whatever it looks like, it won't be finesse football because finesse teams come to the NFCW to die. Say Kaepernick has a lot going for him and it's critical to get the most out of his abilities. Also, you have to have something resembling a general football philosophy. And if you don't, how tough is it to sound like you do?

As far as rah rah goes, Pete doesn't succeed because he's rah rah, his let-the-players-be-themselves thing isn't really the essential part of his coaching personality. Pete succeeds because he puts players in dogfights at every position, he'll axe murder guys right off the roster with zero conscience or hesitation, he's a savant at identifying guys to fit his badass secondary scheme and maximizing any draft picks in any round, etc. etc.

Does Tomsula have any of that? So what if his DL guys would run through a wall for him. As a position coach that works, as a head coach you lose your guys instantly when they sniff incompetence. I mean holy crap, Jim effing Mora looks like Bill Belichick next to this mook, and Jim Mora at least could link words together to form sentences.

They won't get decent coordinators but even if they do it's moot.

Edit: This has blown right past enjoyable watching the meltdown to uncomfortable at how quickly a perennial SB contender has been destroyed. I'm going to love watching Kaepernick spiral into oblivion but I do find myself feeling bad for the Niner fans.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kearly":2lr25v3l said:
If Baalke could go back in time and talk himself out of hiring Tomsula, I think he would. Has to be some major buyers remorse going on right now.
Highly doubt it... He's exactly who they thought he was. A bumbling fool that will need their help in everything

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":15l4tklf said:
Hawkscanner":15l4tklf said:
It's here that I totally disagree with Kip and say that I don't see great communication skills whatsoever. He may know how to talk to players 1:1 ... but managing a group ... getting them all to buy in -- to truly BELIEVE in the same vision ... keeping them all rowing in the same direction ... and to be able to raise their chins back up when they fall flat -- that's a whole different animal.

We don't disagree.

Ahhh ... and here I was wondering whether or not you needed to make an appointment with your local ophthalmologist. :lol: