49ers DL coach Jim Tomsula promoted to HC

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":rqvos5p4 said:
The niner players actually lobbied for Tomsula to be promoted, so if they know when a guy is out of his depth, it's gonna be way to late WHEN they find out about Tomsula.

TBF they also lobbied for Fangio, and all of the players positive statements about Tomsula have come through the 9ers PR team itself.

IMO on the one hand it has been an open secret for years that across the players, coaches, and FO Tomsula has been the most well-liked guy in the building for awhile now, but on the other hand that the players *like* him doesn't necessarily mean they think he was the best option to be HC. Those can be very different things.

Likewise, *in the media* the players had tons of praise for Harbaugh after he left (and we know he had lost part of the locker room), *in the media* some of them were lobbying for Fangio when it looked like he would become HC (who they're now silent on now that he has moved on), just as *in the media* they're now coming out and supporting Fangio. This doesn't mean they actually believed in any of these guys as their coaches, it just means they're not idiots and they're saying what they're supposed to in the media. I don't think we'll every really know.

Likewise, as is always the case, it's incredibly unlikely that the players think as a united front. As with EVERY team I'm sure some players are excited about their HC, some are taking a wait-and-see approach, and some are just compartmentalizing and going about their jobs even though the decision made isn't one they would have made if they were in a different role.

As for Harbaugh's tweet, I don't think there's much to it, TBH. Harbaugh congratulated *his guys* and the coaches who hired *his guys*. Tomsula was never Harbaugh's guy. He coached under Harbaugh, but he was with the 9ers while Harbaugh was still in Palo Alto. Also relevant is that through the mess of last season Harbaugh knew that Tomsula was his likely replacement, which supposedly caused some totally reasonable and understandable tension between them. So, long story short, it's either an unintended slight, or an intended one that makes perfect sense. Either way I don't see the big deal about it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Marvin49":3tp30awc said:
homerun1970":3tp30awc said:
Well heck Marvin he forgot congrats to coach T. I am certain it was a slight oversight.

Just sayin'...Tomsula wasn't a Coordinator.

Could he be trollin'? Absolutely, but he's also chosen not to wade at all into any conversation in regards to him leaving or who is replacing him. He was asked by Bay Area media and he just gave a "no comment".

I do know that he liked Tomsula and spoke about it in an NFL Network piece, but that was from 2011 so no idea if relationship soured.
You "have no idea if the relationship soured" Marv? By all accounts Tonmsula was the snitch..............er, mouthpiece that told Baalke everything that was going on in the locker room. Guessing by the time Hardoche left the "relationship" was non-existent.

Hiding your head in the sand or just minimizing the obvious dysfunction in your team's organization?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":25jh8w99 said:
They have a better roster than Mora, but won't be a shock at all if they start badly we see the same type of mailing it in during games. Players know when a guy is out of his depth.

Ehh, I do think Tomsula is a Fred Flintstone lovable buffoon type, but I also think the "head coaches as leaders" thing is wildly overrated. Beyond 1) influence on scheme and 2) completely losing the locker room by being an @sshole (e.g. McDaniels' foray as HC) I don't think HC's matter nearly as much as people think they do.

To be clear, this isn't just me putting a positive spin on a hire I don't like, as the subtext of what I'm saying is that scheme REALLY matters, and that scheme can come through the HC (e.g. Carroll's defense -- he's a HC) or through coordinators or through coordinators (e.g. Fangio's defense -- he's a DC and Harbaugh stayed out of his way). So, not positively spinning Fangio, as we know scheme won't be coming through him, and the 9ers coordinators search (where scheme WILL be coming from) is it's own type of mess.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2req15f0 said:
You "have no idea if the relationship soured" Marv? By all accounts Tonmsula was the snitch..............er, mouthpiece that told Baalke everything that was going on in the locker room. Guessing by the time Hardoche left the "relationship" was non-existent.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Links to "all accounts", plz.

There was some chatter that their relationship *could* have soured b/c Harbaugh knew Tomsula was his likely replacement, but seriously, links to all these reports that nobody has ever seen before, plz.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3du95b9q said:
hawksfansinceday1":3du95b9q said:

There was some chatter that their relationship *could* have soured b/c Harbaugh knew Tomsula was his likely replacement, but seriously, links to all these reports that nobody has ever seen before, plz.
No links as I don't care enough about your team to bother with anything other than what I've read here. Guess it didn't happen though the ancillary evidence is rather damning. If you didn't see 'yes man', 'bobo', etc. all over Jeremy.....er, Tomsula in that press conference you're glasses are more rose colred than Marv's. Anyway, never mind. Carry on.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2kz8buza said:
Popeyejones":2kz8buza said:
hawksfansinceday1":2kz8buza said:

No links as I don't care enough about your team to bother with anything other than what I've read here. Guess it didn't happen though the ancillary evidence is rather damning. If you didn't see 'yes man', 'bobo', etc. all over Jeremy.....er, Tomsula in that press conference you're glasses are more rose colred than Marv's. Anyway, never mind. Carry on.

You have no links because a) you don't care, b) you're just repeating what you read here, or c) you looked and now you "guess it didn't happen"? Which one is it? :lol:

So I guess we've gone from "all accounts" to "ancillary evidence" pretty quickly. What ancillary evidence? Or are you just attacking posters with nonsense?

FWIW:

The prevailing *theory* is that the major problems, although they started between Harbaugh and Baalke, really cemented between Harbaugh and York. The prevailing *theory* is that the leaks were filtering out through York's people, not Baalke's. The suggestion that Tomsula was involved in this -- even by the Kawakamis and Cohns of the world -- has been largely dismissed, as one of the major reasons Tomsula IS the head coach now is because he doesn't play the inter-organizational politics game, and what you see is what you get with him.

As for you at the end of your post trying to switch the topic toward Tomsula's performance in that presser and your invention of "rose colored glasses" for me, before Harbaugh was even fired I was saying on here that I thought that Tomsula would be the next HC and that I thought it would be a huge mistake. Those are my rose colored glasses? :lol:

Nice try.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2fbwcv2n said:
hawksfansinceday1":2fbwcv2n said:
Popeyejones":2fbwcv2n said:
hawksfansinceday1":2fbwcv2n said:

You have no links because a) you don't care, b) you're just repeating what you read here, or c) you looked and now you "guess it didn't happen"? Which one is it? :lol:

So I guess we've gone from "all accounts" to "ancillary evidence" pretty quickly. What ancillary evidence? Or are you just attacking posters with nonsense?

FWIW:

The prevailing *theory* is that the major problems, although they started between Harbaugh and Baalke, really cemented between Harbaugh and York. The prevailing *theory* is that the leaks were filtering out through York's people, not Baalke's. The suggestion that Tomsula was involved in this -- even by the Kawakamis and Cohns of the world -- has been largely dismissed, as one of the major reasons Tomsula IS the head coach now is because he doesn't play the inter-organizational politics game, and what you see is what you get with him.

As for you at the end of your post trying to switch the topic toward Tomsula's performance in that presser and your invention of "rose colored glasses" for me, before Harbaugh was even fired I was saying on here that I thought that Tomsula would be the next HC and that I thought it would be a huge mistake. Those are my rose colored glasses? :lol:

Nice try.
I read it here and thought it fact so guess I suck. Whatevs. Don't really care that much cuz it's the Whiners and I'm a Seahawks fan. We do agree about your team's choice in HC tho so that's all warm and fuzzy between us. :179417:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":plsbeoe0 said:
So, apparently, Jeddy had a verbal agreement to hire Adam Gase but backed out at the last minute. I have no idea if this was posted already in this thread, but I stumbled across it from a few days ago and this is the first I've heard of it. Doesn't shock me, though.

Its been reported both ways....

....I've seen that report that there was a verbal agreement. I've also read that he was their likely choice till he screwed up the last interview. Not sure what to believe.

Baalke did say though that only one person was offered the job, and that was Jim Tomsula. We likely will never really know unless somebody writes a book about it someday.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":yoopz5nd said:
Maulbert":yoopz5nd said:
So, apparently, Jeddy had a verbal agreement to hire Adam Gase but backed out at the last minute. I have no idea if this was posted already in this thread, but I stumbled across it from a few days ago and this is the first I've heard of it. Doesn't shock me, though.

....I've seen that report that there was a verbal agreement. I've also read that he was their likely choice till he screwed up the last interview. Not sure what to believe.

Baalke did say though that only one person was offered the job, and that was Jim Tomsula. We likely will never really know unless somebody writes a book about it someday.
We've missed ya, Marv. These Pats fans are intollerable.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":eglo1fhr said:
Marvin49":eglo1fhr said:
Maulbert":eglo1fhr said:

We've missed ya, Marv. These Pats fans are intollerable.

LOL. :D

SeatownJay

Reaction score
http://deadspin.com/are-the-49ers-cheap-1682507645

It should not be axiomatic that expensive or even established coaches make for better coaches. But there is reason to fret, especially because the Niners' only coaching-spending binge coincides with its only recent success, and because they just moved into an expensive new stadium that no one seems to like but has secure revenue streams, meaning there's less reason to put a top-flight product out on the field.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ That's a re-write of the BASG post linked above.

Also worth noting that the timeline for this theory doesn't actually work. The coaching "spending spree" the 9ers went on wasn't Harbaugh (he made about 400K over the league average, nothing that noteworthy), it was on retaining all of his coordinators and assistants, who at the time of him leaving were some of the highest paid in the league.

The stadium deal was finalized in 2011, the same year Harbaugh was hired. The "spending spree" on coaches happened progressively from 2012-2014.

That the 9ers having a winning season in 2011 greased the wheels for the stadium deal is fairly obvious IMO, but the conspiracy theory about the 9ers only paying for coaches to get the stadium just doesn't make any sense at all if you look at the actual timeline of their spending.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2n2w2gxr said:
^^^^ That's a re-write of the BASG post linked above.

Also worth noting that the timeline for this theory doesn't actually work. The coaching "spending spree" the 9ers went on wasn't Harbaugh (he made about 400K over the league average, nothing that noteworthy), it was on retaining all of his coordinators and assistants, who at the time of him leaving were some of the highest paid in the league.

The stadium deal was finalized in 2011, the same year Harbaugh was hired. The "spending spree" on coaches happened progressively from 2012-2014.

That the 9ers having a winning season in 2011 greased the wheels for the stadium deal is fairly obvious IMO, but the conspiracy theory about the 9ers only paying for coaches to get the stadium just doesn't make any sense at all if you look at the actual timeline of their spending.

Absolutely correct.

The shovels were I the ground before kickoff of the 2011 season....which also happened to be a lockout year.

Harbaugh was constantly PUBICALLY lobbying for raises for his assistants and did the same by turning down money in Ann Arbor to devote to his assistants.

The amount of money saved on coaches and assistants from that regime to this one really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hey Marv / Popeye, I don't know much about the timeline but I honestly don't understand how you can make the argument that it's not about money.

If it were about winning, they would have given Harbaugh the keys to the kingdom. Best stretch of football since your team in the 90's and aside from SEA, they were easily the class of the league with regard to how things went on the field.

I know you're trying to educate us on the particulars but as an onlooker I just get the impression that they knowingly torpedoed their own ship.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":3fo17uhs said:
Hey Marv / Popeye, I don't know much about the timeline but I honestly don't understand how you can make the argument that it's not about money.

If it were about winning, they would have given Harbaugh the keys to the kingdom. Best stretch of football since your team in the 90's and aside from SEA, they were easily the class of the league with regard to how things went on the field.

I know you're trying to educate us on the particulars but as an onlooker I just get the impression that they knowingly torpedoed their own ship.

If I were on the outside looking in...I can absolutely see how you would get that impression. I'm not even saying that the impression is 100% wrong (and I just read something from Jason Cole saying that some players are thinking the same thing)...but it doesn't make any sense to me.

The stadium was already being built and the team was contending as they were giving raises to all of their assistants and adding extra assistants (Harbaugh had one of the larger staffs in the league).

If it was about the stadium they could have TRADED Harbaugh LAST year. Tickets were already sold. They'd get compensation.

To me, this is much more about having trouble getting good coaches to sign on in SF since so little is known about what happened with Harbaugh.

Sure, they signed from within on Mangini and Chryst, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying at either spot.

Finally, the money thing really doesn't add up to me. The savings on the coaching staff would probably tally IN TOTAL like 3-4 million per year in difference....for a team that made ONE HUNDRED million more than it did the year before because of the new stadium.

I can totally see where peeps (and players) might see it as a penny pinching owner scenario, but that just don't add up to me.

The other thing is that Jed wants to win. BADLY. There is a reason he tweeted an apology to fans after thanksgiving (misguided or not). There is a reason he's been known to put a hole in the sheetrock of his owners booth out of frustration after a loss. Say what you want about him being spoiled, etc...but at the root of it all...he wants to be like his uncle and WIN.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":2znffyyr said:

I think the assumption you're making here is that "winning" and "money" exist in a binary, and they don't.

All signs point to it being about things that were put OVER winning, none of which need be money. We can question the wisdom of putting these things over winning without mistcharacterizing them as money, I think.

Just to be clear, in what's to follow I'm not arguing that these types of things SHOULD HAVE been put over winning, merely that they WERE put over winning. Also worth considering that we need to put a disclaimer on that too, as if Harbaugh HAD continued to win last year -- he didn't -- we might not even be having this conversation.

Things to Know About Harbaugh:

1. Harbaugh is atypically not motivated by money. We know this because 1) he turned down more money from the Dolphins to come to the 9ers, 2) once there rather than angling to make himself one of the league's top paid coaches he angled to get his assistants to be the the top paid coaches and 3) he took the same salary from Michigan that he was getting from the 9ers rather than getting a pay raise from another NFL team., 4) he agreed to "part ways" with the 9ers rather than make them fire him, and gave up five million dollars by doing so.

2. Harbaugh, thoughout his coaching career, has been a difficult personality to work with, and on every stop he has been on the front office (be it athletic directors or GM/owners) have started out by trying to appease him by fulfilling his oddball requests, only to learn over time that doing so only increases the frequency of them. It's a major factor in why Stanford didn't try to retain him.

3. Harbaugh is more of an inspirational leader than he is a fundamentals guy. He leans very heavily on his assistant coaches for the details.

4. Going back to his college days Harbaugh has a long history of grating on some players when they don't perform his enthusiasm with him.

Things to Know About York and Baalke:

1. York, according to someone I spent a night talking to at a wedding who works in the 9ers FO, is a really smart guy, but simply isn't old enough or seasoned enough to run the whole operation. According to this guy If he wasn't the owner's kid and had to wait in line for another 20 years like anyone else would he'd be a great owner, but cutting in line probably isn't great for him in the long run. Basically he's reactionary and easily influenced because he's out of his depth. As such Baalke and Paraag Marathe have a lot of influence over him.

2. Baalke is almost as difficult of a personality as Harbaugh. He has very exacting standards, he doesn't bother with pleasantries and politeness, and he can be just as demanding. He's similar to Harbaugh. They were fast friends and then fast enemies.

Factors We Know Caused Some Dissolution in the Relationship

To be clear, this is all just stuff that's gotten out. It's "tip of the iceberg" stuff. It's stuff that's indicative of what the problems were, meaning, to say "so you're saying the 49ers fired Harbuagh because of THAT?!?!?" is missing the point. Again, it's INDICATIVE of the problems, not the whole shebang.

1) When Harbaugh came to the 9ers he said he didn't like their practice field, and asked them to build him a new practice field. They did. Then he said he didn't like the scoreboard on the new practice field, and asked them to get him a new scoreboard for the practice field. They did. Then he decided he'd rather use the old practice field.

When this first happened York was just trying to make his new coach happy, because he didn't realize that this type of stuff is just day-to-day life of working with Harbaugh. As it was at Stanford, as soon as you give Harbaugh what he wants, he forgets you gave it to him, ignores it, and is right back to asking for new things.

2) It was the same story with player acquisition. Harbaugh would lobby incredibly hard for Baalke to draft players, and then when Baalke did, Harbaugh would instantly forget about it and not even bother playing them. Instead, he'd just go back to lobbying hard for new players. This is supposedly what happened with LaMichael James, and also what was supposedly happening with the never-ending carousel of back-up quarterbacks. Over time a belief grew that the 9ers were losing talent off the back end of their roster (e.g. BJ Daniels, Marcus Cooper) because Harbaugh would insist of having someone else who he would then promptly ignore.

3) Harbaugh just wouldn't play the game on the finer points of being part of an organization, which really grated on York over time. As two examples Levi's Stadium was built so that the high rollers could get an inside peak into the players coming out to the field (the high rollers are the one's really paying for things, it's just part of business), and Harbaugh decided he didn't want that to happen, so the space went unused. He also showed up late and wouldn't wear a suit to the stadium unveiling. Again, not big stuff in isolation, but it added up over time and grated on York.

4) It was believed that Harbaugh was loyal to his players to a fault, and over time Baalke and York grew tired of taking heat for it. After Aldon's DUI the agreement was that he'd be allowed to suit up but wouldn't play, but instead Harbaugh started him and played him the whole game.

5) Harbaugh would also regularly publicly lobby in the media for 9ers players to get paid more when their contract negotiations came up, which is fine, except it pissed off Baalke and York because they were the one's who actually had to do the negotiations and the agents would use Harbaugh's public declarations as leverage. They made Harbaugh aware of this and he just kept doing it anyway.

6) Over time the belief grew that Harbaugh is most skilled at turning teams around, rather than sustaining success. Folks began to believe that he was more of an inspirational cheerleader than someone who was detail oriented or could develop talent or innovate. This belief took hold in a myriad of ways:

A) There was a belief in the FO that Kaepernick had all the tools, but needed to develop the fundamentals (footwork, trajectory, progressions, etc.). Harbaugh on the other hand, is still a player at heart, and thinks that trying to teach a QB the fundamentals can mess up what they're already good at. He has always stated this publicly. This caused a big riff, and is why it shouldn't be any surprise that within a week or two of Harbaugh leaving for the first time in his career Kaepernick is spending the off-season with Kurt Warner working on footwork, trajectory, etc.

B) Over time Baalke grew frustrated with what he perceived Harbaugh's disinterest in developing young talent, as expressed with refusing to rotate in younger players, or even give them meaningful practice snaps.

C) Harbaugh's reliance on his coaches also raised questions, and over time the 9ers questioned the degree to which he could, like players, develop coaches. Simply paying his positional coaches more and more every year to keep them from leaving wasn't sustainable.

D) Over time the belief grew that Harbaugh couldn't really innovate in his coaching. His power-run based WCO -- really just a reboot of the earliest days of the WCO --was dominate when it first appeared in the NFL again in 2011, but over time teams adjusted, and Harbaugh didn't. Baalke and York over time began to believe that bringing back those old concepts was Harbaugh's only trick, and that as the rest of the NFL adjsuted to it, he couldn't adjust back.

7) Harbaugh's antics on the sidelines grated on York over time. From his vantage point Harbaugh's lack of attention to detail is also what was causing the team under Harbaugh's reign to unravel over time. In this York saw everything from all of the players' mounting legal troubles, to Harbaugh playing through this last year with the team spread out across two different locker rooms.

So, to be clear, this is just indicative of what York/Baalke THOUGHT the problems were, and what they, rightly or wrongly, valued over "winning." I'm not saying that's the right move, I'm just saying it's indicative of what was going on. Long story short there was a TON of stuff going on that can't just be reduced down to "money," which I really don't think played much of a role at all.

Also worth saying that they promoted Tomsula because in all of these ways he's kind of the anti-Harbaugh. As I've said repeatedly before, I think promoting Tomsula is a huge mistake, but that's what their thinking is.

TBH I'm also on the fence about what they SHOULD have done with Harbaugh. I think they were in a crappy situation, and I don't think either solution (keeping him or moving on from him) was really a great one. If it were me I'd probably keep trying to make it work, but I wouldn't feel to confident about the long-term feasibility of that strategy while doing so.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3kvmjgt8 said:
Laloosh":3kvmjgt8 said:

I think the assumption you're making here is that "winning" and "money" exist in a binary, and they don't.

All signs point to it being about things that were put OVER winning, none of which need be money. We can question the wisdom of putting these things over winning without mistcharacterizing them as money, I think.

Just to be clear, in what's to follow I'm not arguing that these types of things SHOULD HAVE been put over winning, merely that they WERE put over winning. Also worth considering that we need to put a disclaimer on that too, as if Harbaugh HAD continued to win last year -- he didn't -- we might not even be having this conversation.

Things to Know About Harbaugh:

1. Harbaugh is atypically not motivated by money. We know this because 1) he turned down more money from the Dolphins to come to the 9ers, 2) once there rather than angling to make himself one of the league's top paid coaches he angled to get his assistants to be the the top paid coaches and 3) he took the same salary from Michigan that he was getting from the 9ers rather than getting a pay raise from another NFL team., 4) he agreed to "part ways" with the 9ers rather than make them fire him, and gave up five million dollars by doing so.

2. Harbaugh, thoughout his coaching career, has been a difficult personality to work with, and on every stop he has been on the front office (be it athletic directors or GM/owners) have started out by trying to appease him by fulfilling his oddball requests, only to learn over time that doing so only increases the frequency of them. It's a major factor in why Stanford didn't try to retain him.

3. Harbaugh is more of an inspirational leader than he is a fundamentals guy. He leans very heavily on his assistant coaches for the details.

4. Going back to his college days Harbaugh has a long history of grating on some players when they don't perform his enthusiasm with him.

Things to Know About York and Baalke:

1. York, according to someone I spent a night talking to at a wedding who works in the 9ers FO, is a really smart guy, but simply isn't old enough or seasoned enough to run the whole operation. According to this guy If he wasn't the owner's kid and had to wait in line for another 20 years like anyone else would he'd be a great owner, but cutting in line probably isn't great for him in the long run. Basically he's reactionary and easily influenced because he's out of his depth. As such Baalke and Paraag Marathe have a lot of influence over him.

2. Baalke is almost as difficult of a personality as Harbaugh. He has very exacting standards, he doesn't bother with pleasantries and politeness, and he can be just as demanding. He's similar to Harbaugh. They were fast friends and then fast enemies.

Factors We Know Caused Some Dissolution in the Relationship

To be clear, this is all just stuff that's gotten out. It's "tip of the iceberg" stuff. It's stuff that's indicative of what the problems were, meaning, to say "so you're saying the 49ers fired Harbuagh because of THAT?!?!?" is missing the point. Again, it's INDICATIVE of the problems, not the whole shebang.

1) When Harbaugh came to the 9ers he said he didn't like their practice field, and asked them to build him a new practice field. They did. Then he said he didn't like the scoreboard on the new practice field, and asked them to get him a new scoreboard for the practice field. They did. Then he decided he'd rather use the old practice field.

When this first happened York was just trying to make his new coach happy, because he didn't realize that this type of stuff is just day-to-day life of working with Harbaugh. As it was at Stanford, as soon as you give Harbaugh what he wants, he forgets you gave it to him, ignores it, and is right back to asking for new things.

2) It was the same story with player acquisition. Harbaugh would lobby incredibly hard for Baalke to draft players, and then when Baalke did, Harbaugh would instantly forget about it and not even bother playing them. Instead, he'd just go back to lobbying hard for new players. This is supposedly what happened with LaMichael James, and also what was supposedly happening with the never-ending carousel of back-up quarterbacks. Over time a belief grew that the 9ers were losing talent off the back end of their roster (e.g. BJ Daniels, Marcus Cooper) because Harbaugh would insist of having someone else who he would then promptly ignore.

3) Harbaugh just wouldn't play the game on the finer points of being part of an organization, which really grated on York over time. As two examples Levi's Stadium was built so that the high rollers could get an inside peak into the players coming out to the field (the high rollers are the one's really paying for things, it's just part of business), and Harbaugh decided he didn't want that to happen, so the space went unused. He also showed up late and wouldn't wear a suit to the stadium unveiling. Again, not big stuff in isolation, but it added up over time and grated on York.

4) It was believed that Harbaugh was loyal to his players to a fault, and over time Baalke and York grew tired of taking heat for it. After Aldon's DUI the agreement was that he'd be allowed to suit up but wouldn't play, but instead Harbaugh started him and played him the whole game.

5) Harbaugh would also regularly publicly lobby in the media for 9ers players to get paid more when their contract negotiations came up, which is fine, except it pissed off Baalke and York because they were the one's who actually had to do the negotiations and the agents would use Harbaugh's public declarations as leverage. They made Harbaugh aware of this and he just kept doing it anyway.

6) Over time the belief grew that Harbaugh is most skilled at turning teams around, rather than sustaining success. Folks began to believe that he was more of an inspirational cheerleader than someone who was detail oriented or could develop talent or innovate. This belief took hold in a myriad of ways:

A) There was a belief in the FO that Kaepernick had all the tools, but needed to develop the fundamentals (footwork, trajectory, progressions, etc.). Harbaugh on the other hand, is still a player at heart, and thinks that trying to teach a QB the fundamentals can mess up what they're already good at. He has always stated this publicly. This caused a big riff, and is why it shouldn't be any surprise that within a week or two of Harbaugh leaving for the first time in his career Kaepernick is spending the off-season with Kurt Warner working on footwork, trajectory, etc.

B) Over time Baalke grew frustrated with what he perceived Harbaugh's disinterest in developing young talent, as expressed with refusing to rotate in younger players, or even give them meaningful practice snaps.

C) Harbaugh's reliance on his coaches also raised questions, and over time the 9ers questioned the degree to which he could, like players, develop coaches. Simply paying his positional coaches more and more every year to keep them from leaving wasn't sustainable.

D) Over time the belief grew that Harbaugh couldn't really innovate in his coaching. His power-run based WCO -- really just a reboot of the earliest days of the WCO --was dominate when it first appeared in the NFL again in 2011, but over time teams adjusted, and Harbaugh didn't. Baalke and York over time began to believe that bringing back those old concepts was Harbaugh's only trick, and that as the rest of the NFL adjsuted to it, he couldn't adjust back.

7) Harbaugh's antics on the sidelines grated on York over time. From his vantage point Harbaugh's lack of attention to detail is also what was causing the team under Harbaugh's reign to unravel over time. In this York saw everything from all of the players' mounting legal troubles, to Harbaugh playing through this last year with the team spread out across two different locker rooms.

So, to be clear, this is just indicative of what York/Baalke THOUGHT the problems were, and what they, rightly or wrongly, valued over "winning." I'm not saying that's the right move, I'm just saying it's indicative of what was going on. Long story short there was a TON of stuff going on that can't just be reduced down to "money," which I really don't think played much of a role at all.

Also worth saying that they promoted Tomsula because in all of these ways he's kind of the anti-Harbaugh. As I've said repeatedly before, I think promoting Tomsula is a huge mistake, but that's what their thinking is.

TBH I'm also on the fence about what they SHOULD have done with Harbaugh. I think they were in a crappy situation, and I don't think either solution (keeping him or moving on from him) was really a great one. If it were me I'd probably keep trying to make it work, but I wouldn't feel to confident about the long-term feasibility of that strategy while doing so.

Thanks popeye. I appreciate the time you took to put that together. If true, I would agree that it put them in a tough spot. That said, the trouble that they're having in bringing people in post-harbaugh, don't you think that people around the league have more insight into what's gone on than the media and/or analysts? Just seems like the word is out to avoid that FO if anything. Regardless of Harbaugh's shortcomings, the results were there... right up until it became a spectacle in the media and the owner started tweeting mid-game and essentially throwing his HC under a bus.