Rams are expected to release OLB Leonard Floyd

Seahawks4life

Reaction score
According to Adam Schefter with ESPN, the Rams are expected to release Leonard Floyd if the team cannot find a trade partner for the veteran linebacker. Floyd has been a playmaker on the Rams’ defense, as he’s created nine sacks in the past three seasons. Link

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
There's a lot of high-priced talent that will be released in the next 9 days as teams scramble to get under the cap by March 15th.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yes please. Seems like a perfect fit, and Floyd and Hurtt have a history together in Chicago.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Cut Wagner, possibly trading Ramsey, and now releasing Floyd.

Seems you can't just keep kicking the can down the road when it comes to salary cap.

keasley45

Reaction score
You left out the part where they won a SB.
Yes they did. But they were also credited with having a cheat code around the salary cap and for having laid the foundation for sustained success.

1 SB and they're in the same rebuild as anyone else who mortgages away their future for wins now.

Jville

Reaction score
You keep saying this like it's an indictment. EVERY team in the league would trade a couple down years of cap hell for a SB.

Every. Single. One.

That is a false assertion.

I know of at least one team who is not open to that approach. Their stated goal is to remain competitive every year and to spend each day looking for opportunities to get better.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That is a false assertion.

I know of at least one team who is not open to that approach. Their stated goal is to remain competitive every year and to spend each day looking for opportunities to get better.

This is what teams say when they're mediocre or have managed their cap space poorly. Or both.

Fans are fooling themselves if they don't think their organization would trade places in a heartbeat with the Rams if it meant winning a SB, you don't get style points for how you do it.

Jville

Reaction score
This is what teams say when they're mediocre or have managed their cap space poorly. Or both.

Fans are fooling themselves if they don't think their organization would trade places in a heartbeat with the Rams if it meant winning a SB, you don't get style points for how you do it.

That sounds like your prefered model. Doesn't mean every team complies with a fan's vision or frame work.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That sounds like your prefered model. Doesn't mean every team complies with a fan's vision or frame work.

Sounds like your preferred model is to "remain competitive every year" and still not have a good chance of winning a SB because you're not willing to risk cap problems by signing the necessary free agents to win said SB?

Not sure what we're arguing about. Winning SB's is ALL that matters, to criticize how the Rams did is IMO sour grapes from Hawk fans.

hoxrox

Reaction score
You left out the part where they won a SB.
So they took a calculated risk and it worked, and now they are paying for it.

But if it didn't work, it would have been a bad bet which set their team back for years.

If their approach was sustainable, every team would be trying to stack their roster with high-priced talent. Cap management is simply smart accounting and voidable years, right?

Not really.

Jville

Reaction score
Sounds like your preferred model is to "remain competitive every year" and still not have a good chance of winning a SB because you're not willing to risk cap problems by signing the necessary free agents to win said SB?

Not sure what we're arguing about. Winning SB's is ALL that matters, to criticize how the Rams did is IMO sour grapes from Hawk fans.

I'll simply remark that there are 32 different teams with 32 different and unique programs and philosophy to choose from. I prefer the Seahawks.

flv2

Reaction score
Floyd is a very good player who can play DE in 4DL sets or OLB in scheme diverse sets. He excelled under DC Staley when asked to play OLB in an edge control scheme. He could push the T or TE back into the pocket whilst preventing the QB or RB from escaping wide. This meant the poor quality ILBs didn't have to cover so much space. Under DC Morris he's played more as a DE. He's better playing against the run. He's not a pure pass rusher. He's played for the team rather than for his own personal stats. I'd like the Rams to keep him and replace Morris at DC with someone with a similar scheme to Staley, but sadly it's not going to happen. I won't be surprised if Floyd joins the Chargers. He's probably not worth $15.5M but he's an undervalued player who will be missed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not. Kudos to them, it worked...AND its not sustainable but for maybe 2 years

Six year period, two SB's, one SB win, four playoff appearances, five winning records, three NFC West titles.

Not much different than our SB run, so not sure why fans fixate on how SB's are won.

Maybe I'll rescind my statement in a couple years if the Rams are still struggling, but IMO McVay is one of the smartest HC's in the entire league. So if you're a Hawk fan salivating over this supposed Rams demise, I wouldn't get too comfortable.

AgentDib

Reaction score
There have been posters on this site at times who preach loudly that the cap doesn't matter because of the ability to borrow from the future. Examples like the Rams demonstrate that it's a tradeoff. Worth it sometimes, but not free and always something to be done only after weighing the costs appropriately. The Rams moves shortened their window and didn't guarantee that Super Bowl win; the majority of outcomes in 2022 would not end in a win and then we'd be a lot more negative about them today. Either way, I'm not criticizing McVay since he is staying around so far to clean up the mess, so he's facing both the benefits and the costs from the moves.

More importantly, do you actually think that Super Bowls are all that matters? 2009 was equally as fun for you as 2014? I know people like to say that, but in reality I would vastly, vastly prefer 10 competitive seasons with the possibility of a Super Bowl over the certainty of 1 Super Bowl and 9 bad seasons.