49ers DL coach Jim Tomsula promoted to HC

Northhawk

Reaction score
I was going to make a point about how much of leap it is to go from d line coach to coach but then I watched the press conference. Nothing else needs to be said.

This is going to be a fast and entertaining train wreck.

ringless

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1b0ebext said:
Holy schnikies! Watching that press conference, I kept waiting for him to ask the reporters if they'd seen his baseball.

Lol!!!! This had me cracking up, great reference. It's too accurate lol.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":3g72xpfv said:
If Baalke could go back in time and talk himself out of hiring Tomsula, I think he would. Has to be some major buyers remorse going on right now.

Absolutely. Go back and watch Baalke's body language throughout the press conference. You can just see the wheels turning and virtually hear him saying to himself, "What the @$% did I just get myself and this franchise in to?"

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":2akqwvh9 said:
If Baalke could go back in time and talk himself out of hiring Tomsula, I think he would. Has to be some major buyers remorse going on right now.

Highly doubt it.

You really thing they didn't know how people would react? You think he cares about the press conference?

Tomsula was pretty much the pick from the beginning and they were looking for someone else to blow them out of the water.

History will tell if it was a good hire or a total clusterf*ck but don't think for a minute that Baalke didn't hire the guy he wanted.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":2g21dv8o said:
.............I'd say this move right here firmly cements Jeff Fisher and the Rams as our #1 Rival in the NFC West as we move forward.
Disagree. Though I think Arians is a bit overrated nationally, IMO he can still coach circles around Fisher (outside of the one game per year Fisher outcoaches Pete Carroll by pulling trick crap out of his ass). Plus, if (and admittedly it's a fairly big "if") Palmer manages to stay healthy the Cards are much better at QB than the Lambs. Even with Stanton they might still be a better team. Cards are our #1 division rival next season IMO.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Marvin49":8e2kpt0b said:
kearly":8e2kpt0b said:

Highly doubt it.

You really thing they didn't know how people would react? You think he cares about the press conference?

Tomsula was pretty much the pick from the beginning and they were looking for someone else to blow them out of the water.

History will tell if it was a good hire or a total clusterf*ck but don't think for a minute that Baalke didn't hire the guy he wanted.
I also doubt it though unlike Marv, I'm not gonna spin anything here.

Number one, Baalke appears to me to be the absolutely classic yes man to Jed Yorbehring. He'll do any amount of sucking necessary to keep his position, likely often telling ol' Jed how smart he is, etc.
The interesting other side of this guy is that at the same time he is actually egotistical to the point of thinking he had far more to do with Frisco's recent success than Hardouche ever did.

What a fascinating personality dynamic......wimpy to the point of being a total suck boy and egotistical to the point of thinking he's some kind of football genius. Wow. That's a personality balancing act of epic proportions.

Because of his need to feel like he was the genius of Frisco's recent success, ol' Trent has to hire himself his own yes man who will suck him while he sucks Jed. Train time anyone?

ringless

Reaction score
What is even getting crazier for the hiring process is that now they are hiring staff from the 2007 season. Who do they hire for their offensive line coach? A coach they had coaching 8 years ago and to top it off, he happened to coach the OL of the Redksikns last year, the only team to give up more sacks than SF. They then resign Tarver who was also coaching in 2007, hire the Raiders DC to be the DC who never performed better than 28th in the league. They sign positional coaches before selecting an OC so that way he can't have his own guys. IF all these coaches were so great in 2007 why did they resign them just to bring them back after they had another 7 years of failures? Because the Yorks know that this year is a Super Bowl year. It isn't a rebuilding, it's a reloading and total upgrade of the staff. York has to go if this team ever wants to sniff anything close to success. I just can't believe that an owner of a team with that history would be so incompetent. I didn't really buy into him being cheap, but now I am starting to. At the very least with the defensive talent and the upcoming of Borland I still hope that the team can keep a top 10 defense but Im just not so sure at this point

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":259jiii3 said:
What is even getting crazier for the hiring process is that now they are hiring staff from the 2007 season. Who do they hire for their offensive line coach? A coach they had coaching 8 years ago and to top it off, he happened to coach the OL of the Redksikns last year, the only team to give up more sacks than SF. They then resign Tarver who was also coaching in 2007, hire the Raiders DC to be the DC who never performed better than 28th in the league. They sign positional coaches before selecting an OC so that way he can't have his own guys. IF all these coaches were so great in 2007 why did they resign them just to bring them back after they had another 7 years of failures? Because the Yorks know that this year is a Super Bowl year. It isn't a rebuilding, it's a reloading and total upgrade of the staff. York has to go if this team ever wants to sniff anything close to success. I just can't believe that an owner of a team with that history would be so incompetent. I didn't really buy into him being cheap, but now I am starting to. At the very least with the defensive talent and the upcoming of Borland I still hope that the team can keep a top 10 defense but Im just not so sure at this point

Can't completely disagree, but for the record Tarver hasn't yet been hired and it hasn't been confirmed his interview is for DC.

As far as I know, they hired the O-Line coach, an assistant o-line coach from Youngstown St., and kept Tom Rathman and Geep Chryst (and we don't know if Chryst will coach QBs or TEs. My guess is TEs.

I also think Chudzinski will be the OC, but nothing confirmed there.

Can't lie tho....Harbaugh came in and brought an all-star group of assistants. So far....I'm underwhelmed.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
One team and former assistant notably omitted from the shout out...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/557881234752544768[/tweet]

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3lt4lqv8 said:
One team and former assistant notably omitted from the shout out...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/557881234752544768[/tweet]

He congratulated the coaches who hired his three coordinators.

Trolling?

Maybe.

Marvin49

Reaction score
homerun1970":1zh8q0hs said:
Well heck Marvin he forgot congrats to coach T. I am certain it was a slight oversight.

Just sayin'...Tomsula wasn't a Coordinator.

Could he be trollin'? Absolutely, but he's also chosen not to wade at all into any conversation in regards to him leaving or who is replacing him. He was asked by Bay Area media and he just gave a "no comment".

I do know that he liked Tomsula and spoke about it in an NFL Network piece, but that was from 2011 so no idea if relationship soured.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Given that the separation was supposedly "mutual," pretty telling that he hasn't publicly congratulated a former assistant that was elevated to a HC position.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2sg4s31w said:
Given that the separation was supposedly "mutual," pretty telling that he hasn't publicly congratulated a former assistant that was elevated to a HC position.

I'm sure there are some sour grapes.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Tomsula reminds me so much of Mora when he came in.

No clear identity, just talk of "balance". A program led by an incompetent general manager with a mouth piece coach who'd been in the background previously in charge of a defensive unit. The difference is, Mora had been in charge of a NFL team before and knew what to expect.

They have a better roster than Mora, but won't be a shock at all if they start badly we see the same type of mailing it in during games. Players know when a guy is out of his depth.

rideaducati

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":tyts7lt0 said:
Tomsula reminds me so much of Mora when he came in.

No clear identity, just talk of "balance". A program led by an incompetent general manager with a mouth piece coach who'd been in the background previously in charge of a defensive unit. The difference is, Mora had been in charge of a NFL team before and knew what to expect.

They have a better roster than Mora, but won't be a shock at all if they start badly we see the same type of mailing it in during games. Players know when a guy is out of his depth.

The niner players actually lobbied for Tomsula to be promoted, so if they know when a guy is out of his depth, it's gonna be way to late WHEN they find out about Tomsula.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":1v4vje3m said:
DavidSeven":1v4vje3m said:

I'm sure there are some sour grapes.

Lol. :179422: